As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Even Cooler Stuff From [History] Thread

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Most of those hair/make up styles are nice but in the spirit of March Madness I'm going to pick 1920s African American as the top seed.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

All I see is an easy way to circumvent a patent.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    This is a Canadian educational short from 1946 on Native American cedar bark boat construction

https://youtu.be/enMSwz5BWGo

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    I want to call shenanigans on that first video. No way the top hairstyle of the 90's wasn't the fucking Rachel.

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    iguanacus wrote: »
    I want to call shenanigans on that first video. No way the top hairstyle of the 90's wasn't the fucking Rachel.

I find it amusing that the 'bed hair' 2010s style comes off like they had trouble getting her hair back to the way it looked before they spent several decades screwing with it.

The best one is the simple, cute 1910s style, IMO. Though that could be my crush on Aleksa Palladino from Boardwalk Empire talking.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    My main takeaway from those videos is that the 80's really were the worst everywhere.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    reposted from chat

I've been listening to this in the background while coding today. It seems good so far. People looking for an intro to the Tanakh / Hebrew Bible / Old Testament might want to give it a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo-YL-lv3RY&list=PLh9mgdi4rNeyuvTEbD-Ei0JdMUujXfyWi

as a bonus, the speaker isn't an old white dude. Not that makes it any more (or less) correct but it's a pleasant change from the norm.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I watched this sweet documentary series on Prime about the Life of Muhammad this weekend.

http://www.amazon.com/Holy-Wars/dp/B00H9ZL9JK/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=instant-video&ie=UTF8&qid=1427155755&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=muhamad

I leaned a lot about Islam and gained a heightened respect for it. Arguably his greatest and oft most ignored revelation is that his god is the same as the Christian god and the Hebrew god. Everyone just has different words for it.

• Options
    Reading the Koran is pretty funny because you'll keep going, err, wait, don't I already know most of these stories?

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Reading the Koran is pretty funny because you'll keep going, err, wait, don't I already know most of these stories?

Well, they flesh out Mary, Mother of Jesus a crapload more.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    I'd say that revelation is rejected more than it is ignored.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    reposted from chat

I've been listening to this in the background while coding today. It seems good so far. People looking for an intro to the Tanakh / Hebrew Bible / Old Testament might want to give it a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo-YL-lv3RY&list=PLh9mgdi4rNeyuvTEbD-Ei0JdMUujXfyWi

as a bonus, the speaker isn't an old white dude. Not that makes it any more (or less) correct but it's a pleasant change from the norm.

I'm listening to the first lecture of this and I am just amazed.

This is how I was taught, what I was raised with in my synagogue. Especially around the 20minute mark.

• Options
    Man Eating Rice, 1901-1904
    a555aaec7a1d0dc293fc1b96569f8b0a.jpg

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Kana, I think you managed to find the first ever photograph taken in the middle of someone saying:

"Ahhhh...Yeahhhh!"

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

I bet he got full halfway through 1902

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

I bet he got full halfway through 1902

... but then he got hungry again a few months later ...

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
  • Options
    Everyone should subscribe to Matt Easton's channel. He's a dude that talks about swords and weapons and occasionally armor and such.

Unlike the horde of other dudes who talk about swords on youtube, he's very historically minded, usually provides primary sources for the things he talks about, differentiates between things he suspects and things he knows, and doesn't confuse real life with D&D or re-enacting. Plus he comes from a fencing background before he moved into historical European martial arts (HEMA), so he doesn't look like a ponce when he waves swords around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNHzja3yA8w

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    It would be interesting if he would do some of those stances and swings with a shield
    Not a buckler like most people I found on youtube but a real shield
    You would find why most wounds were to the face and legs after you see that.

• Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Richy wrote: »

I always love those rare instances when someone gets the Ajax pun

Also tzarcasm

Swoon

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular

Man, now I want some rice.

I mean, look at how much fun he's having!

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    That's a seriously fun picture compared to most from that time.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Yeah, they did shit like that a lot. One of the reasons Dante mocked them.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    More atypical Victorian Photography

n8DKp.jpg

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    It's like an olde tymey photo booth set! :biggrin:

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    In the wake of WWII, the Soviet Union tried to reinforce its control over cultural influence with a widespread ban on various types of music. This did not just include Western jazz or rock, but any music that had not been approved by state censors, including a great deal of traditional and folk music. The result of this policy was, of course, a thriving black market in bootleg records. Now, vinyl records were expensive and hard to come by for the average proletariat, which meant that in order to meet the demand within budget, these records were printed on plastic or other suitable materials...

1LcxOMz.jpg

It turns out one of the most common materials that could take a groove was the x-ray sheet. These sheets were obtained in one way or another from hospitals, cut into circles and given a spindle hole with a lit cigarette. They could then be grooved with a modified phonograph, creating a low-quality record that would probably wear out quickly, but only cost a couple roubles. Until the advent of magnetic tapes in the '60s, this "bone music" was one of the only ways for the average Soviet citizen to listen to non-Soviet music.
    A guy at the church I went to growing up did a lot of mission work in different South and Central American countries. According to him, people without electricity would play records by taking a piece of cardboard and folding it twice so it makes a hollow triangle. Then they stick a needle through one end of the cardboard, and drill a hole in the record off-center to spin it with a pencil. I don't remember what they used as the turntable though.
    Edit: Oh, basically this thing.
    http://www.coolthings.com/ggrp-sound-folding-cardboard-phonograph/

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    iguanacus wrote: »

that was the Rachel, or as close as they could get it given the apparent constraint of limited time and no scissors

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    More atypical Victorian Photography

n8DKp.jpg

that's one of the most heartwarming images I've ever seen.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    In the 1600s there was a witch trial in Iceland against a man called Jón Jónsson the younger. He confessed to using Fretrúnir on a woman who had spurned him. 'Fretrúnir' are fart runes. Yes, essentially a magic spell to cause unrelenting flatulence upon your enemy.

According to the Museum of Icelandic Sorcery and Witchcraft, here's what they look like:

347e4a4531_tumblr-me8wgdXAQd1qgqyioo2-500.jpg

By the way, if you are considering using this against your own personal enemies, my understanding is that runic magic is supposed to take a lot of study to perform properly, and screwing it up often causes the spell to turn against its maker, so don't blame me if you get permanently gassy from it.

Mayabird on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Brainleech wrote: »
    It would be interesting if he would do some of those stances and swings with a shield
    Not a buckler like most people I found on youtube but a real shield
    You would find why most wounds were to the face and legs after you see that.

Here's a really interesting video about how the vikings used their shields. The buckle bit in the middle let the whole shield pivot vertically, which they used to great effect to deflect incoming blows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkhpqAGdZPc

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    In the wake of WWII, the Soviet Union tried to reinforce its control over cultural influence with a widespread ban on various types of music. This did not just include Western jazz or rock, but any music that had not been approved by state censors, including a great deal of traditional and folk music. The result of this policy was, of course, a thriving black market in bootleg records. Now, vinyl records were expensive and hard to come by for the average proletariat, which meant that in order to meet the demand within budget, these records were printed on plastic or other suitable materials...

1LcxOMz.jpg

It turns out one of the most common materials that could take a groove was the x-ray sheet. These sheets were obtained in one way or another from hospitals, cut into circles and given a spindle hole with a lit cigarette. They could then be grooved with a modified phonograph, creating a low-quality record that would probably wear out quickly, but only cost a couple roubles. Until the advent of magnetic tapes in the '60s, this "bone music" was one of the only ways for the average Soviet citizen to listen to non-Soviet music.
    A guy at the church I went to growing up did a lot of mission work in different South and Central American countries. According to him, people without electricity would play records by taking a piece of cardboard and folding it twice so it makes a hollow triangle. Then they stick a needle through one end of the cardboard, and drill a hole in the record off-center to spin it with a pencil. I don't remember what they used as the turntable though.
    Edit: Oh, basically this thing.
    http://www.coolthings.com/ggrp-sound-folding-cardboard-phonograph/

I can't remember where I learned this, but I did the exact same thing (only rolled and not folded).

I think it was either Mr. Wizard or some science book that basically said "put a record on a top and spin it, then take your cone+needled and gently ease it onto the record..."

My 6 year old mind was blown.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    50 pictures from the 1830s to 1960s. I think we need to bring back horsemanning.

sig.gif
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    50 pictures from the 1830s to 1960s. I think we need to bring back horsemanning.

Clearly the 1920's were the best. That one wheeled motorcycle is pretty awesome though.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

Clearly the 1920's were the best. That one wheeled motorcycle is pretty awesome though.

some people still make those

they're incredibly dangerous

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

some people still make those

they're incredibly dangerous

Doesn't make them less awesome.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Oh god. The baby cage.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    The family bicycle with a sewing machine for mom. I was on a phone call when I saw it and burst out laughing.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    hED5FF683

I like that tumblr

This discussion has been closed.