As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Thirty Years' [Phalla] - So Much Murder (Game Over)

• Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    3clipse

FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    More fancy cats pics when I get home - currently riding in a car

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Well he's in 2nd place, and the first place vote seems like an obvious reason to use an unblockable kill unless there's an actual reason not to, so it makes sense to me.

Oh okay now everything is clear to me.

Uh what?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I have no idea what's going on.

• Options
    I literally have no comprehension of what Raiden333 said.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Vote closed. Due to an amazing combination of bloodlust and y'all uncannily hitting the French, the game is over. Who won? Stay tuned!

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Holy shit.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Wow, that was incredibly fast for a game this size.

• Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    Dun dun dun!

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Let's be real here, you guys know exactly what I was doing. =P

CATHOLIC POWER!

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Let's be real here, you guys know exactly what I was doing. =P

CATHOLIC POWER!

Of course.

I hereby excommunicate you.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Day 4 - The Peace of Westphallia:

"The Germans continue to destroy themselves."

"Excellent, I believe it is time for us to make our move on Spain and the Spanish Netherlands. With the Habsburgs distracted by the chaos in Germany and the Swedish invasion we should be able to take control over Western Europe and pry several of the Spanish colonies away from them."

"Don't you want to know exactly what's happening?"

"Very well."

"The lords finally caught an Austrian spy. Matev was planted by the Emperor among the Hanseatic League's reformist party. But now the Emperor's been forced to execute him."

"And I heard that the former Chancellor had a bit of a problem?"

"Yes, Lord Drez's anti-Catholic actions as Chancellor proved to be his undoing. A Catholic mob was quite angry and burnt him at the stake. It's said he took forever to actually go up."

"I'm sure that angered the Lutherans."

"Yes indeed, and it was Wash who paid the price."

"What of the less religious and more philosophical disputes?"

"They too continued their aggression towards one another. The Reformers killed KetBra. They didn't find any evidence to link him to us, but as you know, he was our spy among the Feudalists."

"Pity."

"Meanwhile, the Feudalists killed Mr. jdarksun. Had him drawed and quartered, too."

"We really should invent a more humane execution device. Get on that, Chancellor."

"Yes, sire."

"Our spies debated between killing the Feudalist Sir Fabulous and the Reforemer SLyM SLyM."

"Any particular reason?"

"That's unclear. Eventually it would appear that they settled on SLyM, as he turned up dead. Close range musket fire, I believe."

"And the Austrians?"

"They killed the Feudalist Kilnaga."

"That leaves the political situation rather chaotic, no?"

"Well, there was one more person killed in the fighting. Chancellor Gizzy ordered the death of our agent in the Reformers, Yoshua. Again, he had cleaned up all the evidence linking him to us, but he was the last of our spies in Germany."

"But with no clear majority, the Habsburgs can't reform the Empire the way they want, correct?"

"Yes, and with a Feudalist in power as the Chancellor, they probably have a slight advantage going forward. If anything, that should stifle innovation and we should have a technological edge on the Austrians going forward.

(under his breath)

"And the peasantry will probably revolt with the autocratic beliefs of the Feudalists growing more powerful"

"Yes, yes, I believe it's time for us to intervene. We should be able to drive the Habsburgs to the negotiating table fairly quickly and restrict the power of the Germans."

Results:
    Matev, Austrian Reformer - Executed by the crown
    Drez, Lutheran - Burnt at the stake
    Wash, Catholic - Thrown out a window
    KetBra, French (?) Feudalist - given hemlock
    jdarksun, Reformer - Drawn and quartered
    SLyM, Reformer - Assassinated by the French
    Kilnaga, Feudalist - Assassinated by the Austrians
    Yoshua, French (?) Reformer - Convicted of heresy

The last FRENCH spy has been killed! The game is over!

The Survivors:

CATHOLICS
    Bedlam
    Cythraul
    MrTLicious
    Raiden333

LUTHERANS
    Auralynx
    Lucedes
    Teucrian
    3clipse

REFORMERS
    CaptainPlanet82
    Dragon6860
    JPants
    The Brayster

FEUDALISTS
    Gizzy
    Sir Fabulous
    38th Doe
    Trust

AUSTRIANS
    MrTLicious
    Auralynx

The Austrian win condition: The French spies must all be eliminated (done), at least one of you must survive (done), there must be fewer than 20 players remaining in the game (done), AND at least one faction must have a two member advantage over its rival (NOT SO MUCH).

(The French win condition was the same, but no faction could have a two member advantage)

The game is technically a draw. However, tomorrow presumably the Catholics and Lutherans would continue murdering each other. They have the surviving Austrian spies, who would presumably steer the kill away from themselves. The Feudalists would kill one of the remaining Refomers and vice versa. Gizzy would chancel a Reformer at random, the Austrians would presumably murder another to try to satisfy their win condition. Which leaves the vote. There were fairly robust negotiations going on and those would ultimately settle the matter. However, I think the Reformers were definitely doomed.

Therefore I think this is also a MINOR FEUDALIST victory, and thus the narration. But mostly Louis XIII won, even though his spies all died.

Upcoming: general thoughts, flaws, frustrations, errors, and what not!

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    The (?) was flavor. As I thought.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

Nah, we didn't realize that it would still show up like that. Zombie hero wasn't a frenchie, and he showed up as "french (?)"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    The only reason I chose to kill Yoshua is because he doesn't have an avatar and I don't know him ... so I thought, meh kill him and I won't have to come up with a cat picture. There was no team discussion .. just Gizzila railroading and drunk Sir Fab saying YEAH!

Gizzy on
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »

Nah, we didn't realize that it would still show up like that. Zombie hero wasn't a frenchie, and he showed up as "french (?)"

Oh.

• Options
    edited February 2015

Wait, so you had a one-time Death Miller-maker ability?

Drez on
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    High-five, MrT, I guess! We rock.

Also, big ups to Drez and Gizzy as Chancellors of excellence. I was sorry Wash didn't get a go, though.

• Options
    I had fun. I'm sure I acted contrary to what ebum would have preferred.

• Options
    @KetBra
    jUr88Fp.jpg

@Cythraul
    c6TJI12.jpg

@Auralynx
    QGw66I9.jpg

@Bedlam
    IaZtFgb.jpg

@Trust
    TiKHOYB.jpg

@MrTLicious
    F99oJnG.jpg

@Lucedes
    wbEJ8ay.jpg

@38thDoe
    Zv8uV7p.jpg

@Drez - you already have an internet cat - so I picked this one because I thought it was hilarious:
    4qOKihr.jpg

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Structure

Everything was out in the open except the spies.

The Austrians were simple: They had an unblockable kill, a guard, and a perfect seer. They could use two each night.

The French were more complicated. They had a standard kill, the ability to blackmail a player to vote how they wanted on one vote for one day, and the ability to fabricate evidence as to a player's faction. They could use two of those and they could double up the latter two. Thus the ?s as they faked evidence. Seerings would have been 100% wrong (except the Austrians), but death was only subject to question. ZH was NOT a French spy, the others who died looking like one were.

Structurally I changed almost nothing. The blackmail power was nerfed from the original where it was for two votes but otherwise worked the same.

The major change I made was to the win conditions. In the original, it was a Star Wars game set between Episode 3 and 4 with Free Traders vs. Protectionists and Libertarians vs. Authoritarians as the factions. Then there were Jedi spies (here, the Austrians) and agents of the Emperor (here, the French). The Jedi wanted to keep people alive and eliminate the Imperials while the Imperials wanted to um, pare down things for Palpatine. I also changed some of the future legislation, though the first two votes were the same.

I should have flipped the order though.

For the record:

Faction seers had a 1/3 chance of revealing alignment, which managed to hit 3/4 times you used them.
    Chancellor seer had a 2/3 chance.
    Austrian seer had a 100% chance, obviously.

Things Which Have Changed in the Meta

1) Obviously, the activity levels. I think the four of us in the Imperial faction posted 1500 times on our proboard. We were the most active per capita but all the faction proboards had robust debates going on throughout the game. The French spies were in particular super disorganized here, which hurt them almost as much as y'alls uncanny aim. A lot of the Galactic Senate thread is total bullshit (I'm roleplaying my obnoxious Klackon character the whole time, several other people are doing everything in character), but there's just a lot of people posting nonsense that added to the game.

To that end, I would like to thank Drez, Gizzy, and Wash in particular who played this entirely in the spirit that it was meant to be played in.

2) Strangely, soft networking was less of a presence. When we played, all the factions traded roster info to get their enemy faction membership by the end of day one or two. This went against my expectations. You guys had good leads the earlier days but until Spoit just leaked everything I don't think anyone knew 100%.

3) But then y'all were super bloodthirsty. There was a lot of public diplomacy and the voting populace basically forced the Chancellor to seer themself each time in our game. And there was a good amount of focus on finding the two infiltrator factions. Here it was just kill kill kill!

Which is why this went super quick. Your aim was good, but even without it, I suspect it wouldn't have lasted much longer. I think the lack of a "keep people alive" faction was a problem here. There are a lot of kills and everyone was interested in using them quickly. Of course, one of the things that happened was that the imperials killed 3/4 Jedi pretty quick and we were pretty sure who the last one was (Toxic Toys) but couldn't kill him until it satisfied our win condition.

Then he beat me the last day, the bastard.

Thoughts to Improve Activity

I think the enjoyable goofiness that people exhibited trying to become (or in Drez's case, after he became) Chancellor might be a good place to look into. Some kind of non-kill vote that grants the winner minor powers but is worthwhile enough to really pursue.

I'll post and unlock proboards in the next few minutes.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

Wait, so you had a one-time Death Miller-maker ability?

Miller or thrall, but apparently the thrall part didn't work anywhere near as well. And it wasn't one time

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    @enlightenedbum Thanks for the great game! I'm glad my antics were enjoyable rather than upsetting. Sometimes I worry I'm too much of a goofball.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    I will accept my technically correct draw as the best possible kind of draw, and reject any victory over us glorious catholics. WE WOULD HAVE WON IN THE END!

Great game, sorry it ended so quickly.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Damn. I just read the Catholic pro board. I was almost going to claim a public guard tonight. I think that would have saved me.

• Options
    Good game all. That was pretty savage.

• Options
    "I CHOOSE YOU...DREZ"

• Options
    Damn. I just read the Catholic pro board. I was almost going to claim a public guard tonight. I think that would have saved me.

That I would not have NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE'd

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Gizzy from the proboards:
    Drez just tried to tell me he could give me secret powers.

Ebum swiftly auto clarified with a big no

Rofl.

Sorry, I was having fun.

• Options
  • Options
    Gizzy wrote: »

It's so beautiful O_O

• Options
    @Mikey CTS sorry you felt betrayed. For what it's worth, I didn't personally betray you. Your mistake was revealing yourself as a Lutheran to premium before talking to any of us - we already had an alliance with premium. Your PM put me in an awkward spot so I just left it to Auralynx to tell premium the truth, since premium was in talks with both of us (but mostly with Auralynx).

• Options
    CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    Re: bloodthirstiness. Had the seerings been 100% accurate (or at least accurate unless the French messed with them) I think seering would have been more tempting. As it stood it just seemed like a really weak alternative to just straight up murder. Heck catching Preda on day 1 while the other factions seered was pretty much what kept us in the game. It gave us the info we needed to determine enough of the Lutheran bloc and gave us the slight numbers lead we needed to survive Drez's chancellorship.

And then well once we started murdering I think the other factions realized that they HAD to or we would just coast to a win. Plus once you realize that there are enough kills each night to entirely eliminate one of the spy rings (and almost both!) I think you can't really risk NOT taking your shot. The game potentially could have ended very suddenly.

• Options
  • Options
    I actually have an idea for a game I'm not sure even has to be a Phalla where everyone is a pirate crew jockeying for their share of the loot that's been kicking around in my head for years.

Or I could finally run TAR3, maybe.

All before June though, because I'm starting a one year Master's program which is supposed to be crazy intense then.

• Options
    If everyone's killin', you best be killin' too.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I forgot to vote oops

This game happened to unfortunately coincide with one of my friends getting back into LoL so most nights I was playing with him until one, and only sometimes I remembered that I needed to go play the game before midnight.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)