As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Order 1886: Cinematic dick flopping simulator

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Everyone really has written this game off without playing it haven't they? I'm willing to give it a shot. It's reminding me of Heavenly Sword last gen, everyone hated that for it being short but it's still one of my favorite PS3 games.

Most people poo-pood Heavenly Sword not because of the length, but because it controlled like a bumper car driven by a cow for whom you're yelling instructions at from two miles away.

reVerse on
    Unco-ordinatedSynthesis
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I had zero problems controlling Heavenly Sword.

I'm willing to give The Order a shot, but the length will merely dictate the price I'm willing to pay. If it's 5 hours with 2-3 of that as cutscenes, I'll wait for it to drop to half price. Given that Ready at Dawn made my three favourite PSP games, I'm definitely going to give their HD console debut (that's not a port) a shot.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    o god

apparently a lot of the screenshots and video thus far have been from "ps4 like" pc hardware

the actual game on the ps4 has some different shaders and a profoundly less good appearance

noooo

obF2Wuw.png
    Synthesis
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    ED! wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »

I'm speaking, of course, of the way the game gave a serious impression of being a 4player survival co-op experience, akin to Left 4 Dead, only with Werewolves and other fantastical horror beasts. The fact that this game is a single-player cover-based shooter was a massive letdown after I spent nearly a year thinking I was getting L4D with werewolves.

Seriously who came to this conclusion? That is so ridiculous.

Yeah, sounds like something Lucascraft imagined more than anything else. We've known it's a single player, story focused game in the vein of Uncharted/TLOU since that first announcement.

When all we had was a cinematic trailer and no info at all about what the game actually was, conclusions were drawn, which were obviously very wrong. It wasn't just me. I'm not gonna spend the time looking for it in the old PS4 threads, but there was a pretty major discussion about the nature of the game, right here on Penny Arcade.

And again, this was pre-PS4 release, when all we had was a cinematic trailer and not even a console yet.

Sure, for the first hour or so, everyone was coming up with their own wild ideas. But very soon after that, Ready at Dawn were interviewed and specifically said that they were going for a story based game in the same vein as Uncharted/TLOU. I'm just surprised some people were still thinking this game was something that it was never intended to be.
    Nosf wrote: »

Developer responds
    , and by responds, doesn't really say anything I suppose.

FYI, the length he was referring to and said was impossible, was the rumour the game could be beaten in 2-3 hours.

They said about as much as they could really, there's no way of winning that argument. Some people are saying 5 hours, others are saying ten hours. We'll just have to wait and see.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    o god

apparently a lot of the screenshots and video thus far have been from "ps4 like" pc hardware

the actual game on the ps4 has some different shaders and a profoundly less good appearance

noooo

Why do people even do that? It's not like they won't get caught.

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    o god

noooo

Why do people even do that? It's not like they won't get caught.

They might be able to slip it past enough people to boost sales, though. It's unethical, but sometimes it works well enough to get a little more cash than you would otherwise.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Hasn't the downgrade been a known thing for a while? Feel like about a year ago some video came out that looked like a marked downgrade, much darker and all around lower detail than previously. And then there was a counter argument about 'lower resolution' youtube vids and the characters are in different stealthy suits yada yada, but then high quality video came out and yep it was still the same lower quality.

Blech. Had pretty high hopes for this. Hopefully there's as much meat as the first Gears of War - that was always more a singleplayer n' couch co op game for me than a multiplayer. But we're a generation later, it should be a huge improvement on Gears. :I

Oh brilliant
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    It is starting to seem like the PS4 graphics were more hype than anything.

Second Son and Destiny are really the only ones that show off the system.

Hasn't the downgrade been a known thing for a while? Feel like about a year ago some video came out that looked like a marked downgrade, much darker and all around lower detail than previously. And then there was a counter argument about 'lower resolution' youtube vids and the characters are in different stealthy suits yada yada, but then high quality video came out and yep it was still the same lower quality.

Blech. Had pretty high hopes for this. Hopefully there's as much meat as the first Gears of War - that was always more a singleplayer n' couch co op game for me than a multiplayer. But we're a generation later, it should be a huge improvement on Gears. :I

Don't be a goose, DRX, that downgrade controversy was proven to be bullshit a long time ago:
    http://gearnuke.com/order-1886-dev-responds-graphical-changes-new-build-comparison-shows-improvements/

I seriously doubt they've pulled a Ubisoft on everyone. Enough people have played it by now that it'd be far bigger news if they had.

No it wasn't. :I

They addressed the framerate issues in the footage, clarifying that it was due to the stream, and not reflective of the gameplay. That's not addressing the graphical downgrade; lower detail models for the characters and bunch of filters to darken the whole scene n' show less of it off. How is that not a downgrade? The 'proof' is a dev saying "naw, it's better!" and a side by side of a character in a different pose.

Oh brilliant
    No it wasn't. :I

They addressed the framerate issues in the footage, clarifying that it was due to the stream, and not reflective of the gameplay. That's not addressing the graphical downgrade; lower detail models for the characters and bunch of filters to darken the whole scene n' show less of it off. How is that not a downgrade? The 'proof' is a dev saying "naw, it's better!" and a side by side of a character in a different pose.

The character models aren't lower detail at all though. It's darker, yes, but that's an artistic choice, not a bloody "downgrade." And while the uniform textures certainly have less details on them, the old uniforms are still in the game (we've even seen them since that ridiculous controversy erupted). So how is it a downgrade if they're still in the game?

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Everyone really has written this game off without playing it haven't they? I'm willing to give it a shot. It's reminding me of Heavenly Sword last gen, everyone hated that for it being short but it's still one of my favorite PS3 games.

I'm agreeing with the main point of your post. I thought Heavenly Sword was poop from a butt. Not because of it's length (I don't know how long or short it was because I played it for a few days, and then threw it in the garbage), but because of the awful gameplay.

The Order looks interesting to me, though. I don't see how a game could "bomb" or "fizzle"(though, I suppose hype could fizzle for someone) before the dang thing even releases.

Edit: I suppose I am being a bit of a hypocrite. I used to have that "full judgment, this game is the worst" mindset before the game in question was even released. After DmC was the best Devil May Cry game ever and ME3 multiplayer was super awesome, I decided that I should maybe give things a chance before thumbing my nose at them.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I think the point is that many of us are writing it off for $60.

ValleocloudeagleKryhsDark Raven XBig Classyvagrant_windsBlackbird SR-71C
  • ValleoValleo Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

Yup. I really enjoyed Heavenly Sword, but I got it for $10 in a bargain bin far after it was released. I'll probably do the same for this game. Got way too much in my backlog anyways.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Yeah, unless something drastic changes this is looking like an interesting rental.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Look, I'm not expecting every 60 dollar game to give me 60 hours of gameplay. I am expecting a minimum 8-9 hours however. Video game developers need to stop listening to there wives. Length DOES matter.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    Dark Raven X
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    A number of users on Neogaf have chimed in with claims of 9 to 14 hours now. I can't say I have any interest in the game itself, but it's fairly interesting to watch this play out.

I've always felt gaf was mainly astroturfers or fanboys going back and forth, curious to see how their times line up after it hits wide release.

Dark Raven X

Oh for sure, I am absolutely into a shorter singleplayer campaign. I am totally gonna get it at some point n' probably love it. But for £50, no fucking way.

Like, Ground Zeroes was awesome. I got maybe 15 hours of fun out of it, going for S ranks on every mission and turning the whole base over, etc. But that was very aware of it's short length, came out at £20. I didn't feel ripped off there. :P

Oh brilliant
  • Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    As hungry as I am for something to play on my new PS4 I'm gonna wait and see on this one.

Personally a 5-10 hour length isn't a deal breaker. Half the game being cutscenes (including entire chapters) kind of is, especially in something sold as an action packed Third Person Shooter.

JusticeforPluto
    I do wonder if the CEs or even the PEs with drop drastically in price.

Nosf wrote: »
    A number of users on Neogaf have chimed in with claims of 9 to 14 hours now. I can't say I have any interest in the game itself, but it's fairly interesting to watch this play out.

I've always felt gaf was mainly astroturfers or fanboys going back and forth, curious to see how their times line up after it hits wide release.

The ~10 hour time is actually what we've heard for a few weeks, ever since people started receiving early copies of the game. One of the guys who received a copy had their trophies visible on PSNProfiles.com, so some people looked at that and suddenly thought that 5 hours from his first trophy to the completion trophy meant that the game was only that long. Turns out he got that first trophy halfway through the game though.

Whether it's 5 hours long or not, we'll find out soon enough. I can't really say I care though, since I'd take a Mirror's Edge or Journey over a Skyrim or AC any day. Whether I like it or not will come entirely down to whether it's any good.

As for GAF, most communities of a decent size have astroturfers and fanboys, they're just more noticeable on GAF because it's so much bigger than everywhere else (though most tend to get banned sooner or later). It's pretty silly to just write off the entire community based on that though, because the majority of users over there are pretty reasonable. It's actually why I like their GOTY voting so much, because there's such a huge number of people and vast array of tastes, so you get some interesting results. I haven't even played the game but I was pretty happy Bayonetta 2 won their GOTY last year.

• BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    I think the dev lashback we saw was about this was a poor one. I think they're taking it as a personal attack against their artistic vision or whatever where most of the negative feedback I've seen in this thread and elsewhere is born of the simple consumer economics that influence our purchasing decisions.

The review sites are ragging against the mindset with a "Well you haven't even played it yet so how do you know it's not worth 60 dollars!?" And I don't think that's a fair thing to say as someone who didn't have to pay for a copy to find out whether or not it was their thing or not. I've also read the "well yeah if you just blow through it, sure." I'm sorry that I don't think not combing over the game for every interactable object you thought was cute counts as rushing through your game.

I mean, if the game defies my expectations I'll be the first one to apologize. I'm someone with a good bit of disposable income and I don't think dropping 60 dollars on unknown unknowns is a wise choice. Aliens: Colonial Marines (A:CoMa as it's sometimes referred to) was my Batman moment

"Never Again"

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    This game looks like prime Youtube fodder.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
    BeezelBig Classy
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I watched a fair bit of it on YouTube. Shyeah I'm gonna pass on it. It was really boring, narratively speaking. I don't mind short games but crikey, stick characters with charisma in them.

Yeah. If there was an assortment of monsters, I would be interested in the game.

Someone needs to run with the concept of the old PC game called Nocturne.

Shadowfirecr0w
    Nocturne was pretty badass. I remember there being a weird tie to Blair Witch back when that was a thing.

Yep. A new totally 3D version of Nocturne would have been gold.

Someone needs to get on that.

Krathoon wrote: »
    Yep. A new totally 3D version of Nocturne would have been gold.

Someone needs to get on that.

*reading wiki* holy shit so Bloodrayne is what ultimately fell out of Nocturne? Crazy!

edited February 2015
    Actually, I did not know that. Nocturne and Bloodrayne thread!

Lets high-jack the thread. Muuhhahhahaha!

Krathoon on
    Nocturne was FUCKING BALLS HARD.

But dudes, the Stranger did not take shit from anyone.

Capture.jpg~original
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    First review is out. It's in French:

http://n4g.com/news/1673609/the-order-1886-first-legit-review-15-20

15/20
    They said that despite the pacing of the game not so good due to a lot of cut scenes (although interactive at some point with QTE) representing half of the game that last for them 7-8 hours on easy mode, the first new IP from RAD looks absolutely gorgeous, with some good shooter gameplay with only some bad stealth part, a very good soundtrack and voice acting but most of all, the atmosphere of the game as well as the universe of The Order is so compelling that you want to completely dive in and immerse yourself!

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    so, what

a 7.5

that's not very good in videogame terms

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    number scores are meaningless. read the actual words. publications are starting to actually give out low scores to even AAA games, too, like Destiny and etc.

I want this game to do well just to see more from this studio. I can only assume they'd expand on the world and make more fleshed out/extensive stuff in the future. I love the aesthetics and the time period and there aren't many games like that.

Are you the magic man?
    Blackbird SR-71CwgrenDarth_MogsurahonkyFawst
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    I dunno, if we look at Metacritic Evolve is sitting on 7.8 and that's doing pretty well for itself. Life is Strange is at 7.6 and I thoroughly enjoed that, and Dying Light is 7.3 and there's a big fan base for it.

Not that I put much stock in review scores really, it was more the comments that it took 7 to 8 hours on easy as everyone seems to be concentrated on the short running time.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    This game looks pretty damn awesome, not just visually, I also like the setting and art style. I'm also a fan of shooters. And personally, I'm a big proponent of shorter game >>>> needlessly padded game. However, 60$ for 10 hours at most seems a bit expensive. Will wait for 30-20$ sale.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

Someone at GAF did an analysis of the infamous 5:30 playthrough which, as it turns out, is not faked, speedrun or edited at all:

Gameplay | 57,43%
    QTE | 3.4%
    Cutscenes | 39.17%

That has to be some kind of record. I wonder if any of the reviews will mention the actual game length.

Capture.jpg~original
  • SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Yeah that is pretty short in gameplay terms. Although to be fair I like cut scenes.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Someone at GAF did an analysis of the infamous 5:30 playthrough which, as it turns out, is not faked, speedrun or edited at all:

Gameplay | 57,43%
    QTE | 3.4%
    Cutscenes | 39.17%

That has to be some kind of record. I wonder if any of the reviews will mention the actual game length.

It was kinda speedruned, since the guy skipped dialog where he could and mainlined the story stuff.

If I can get 10 hours of fun, I'll be happy, especially since after PSN credit I'm getting it for $25US

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Man, Nocturne was the shit. The zombie levels were really well done.

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV-u5tvQC34

Lanrutcon wrote: »

Gameplay | 57,43%
    QTE | 3.4%
    Cutscenes | 39.17%

It was kinda speedruned, since the guy skipped dialog where he could and mainlined the story stuff.

If I can get 10 hours of fun, I'll be happy, especially since after PSN credit I'm getting it for $25US

Hah, that hadn't been mentioned! That seems like a factor, given how much of Gears' storyline was delivered through those optional talk n' walk scenes.

Oh brilliant