As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Order 1886: Cinematic dick flopping simulator

• FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    good lord, some people get a taste of something and they just can't stop circlejerking.

Are you the magic man?
    Darth_MogsTOGSolid
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    That video made me laugh.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
    Dark Raven X
  • cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I don't necessarily agree with the video, but the guy talking was so funny I couldn't help but post it.

Dark Raven X
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I'm gonna get this game and I'm gonna try my hardest to enjoy it.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Someone at GAF did an analysis of the infamous 5:30 playthrough which, as it turns out, is not faked, speedrun or edited at all:

Gameplay | 57,43%
    QTE | 3.4%
    Cutscenes | 39.17%

That has to be some kind of record. I wonder if any of the reviews will mention the actual game length.

It was kinda speedruned, since the guy skipped dialog where he could and mainlined the story stuff.

If I can get 10 hours of fun, I'll be happy, especially since after PSN credit I'm getting it for $25US

Hah, that hadn't been mentioned! That seems like a factor, given how much of Gears' storyline was delivered through those optional talk n' walk scenes.

Seems to me if he hadn't skipped dialog it may have added something to the total "play" time, but just raised the percentage of that which was cutscenes higher and pushed actual gameplay lower.

Blackbird SR-71CRhan9chiasaur11cB557
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    cr0w wrote: »
    I don't necessarily agree with the video, but the guy talking was so funny I couldn't help but post it.

Yeah, what's the actual context, I am so goddamned into his enthusiasm for whatever it is.

Oh brilliant
    Geth
  • cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Apparently it's a story about his first job at a beach bar. His first day, they told him to wash these giant pots or pans or whatever, so he just tied them all to ropes and threw them into the ocean. When he came back, they were all washed out by the tide except for one that he found stuck between two rocks.

I guess you had to be there?

Dark Raven X
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    So the new angry posts are now that
    the boss for level 4 is the same as the final boss, same models, same mocap etc. Both are QTE.

Guy posted this to twitter. Spoilers and such. Looking at it as a cautionary tale, I think when I do wind up breaking down and buying either a One or a PS4 that pre-orders are going to be a real no no for me.

Nosf on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Really sounds like the devs ran out of time or money. Very weird that Sony would crack the deadline whip, especially since February isn't exactly prime selling season. Maybe the top execs lost confidence in the game?

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    Blackbird SR-71C
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular

The original youtube account has been banned for "multiple severe violations".

• AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    I thought that playthroughs of games were exempt?

• Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Astale wrote: »
    I thought that playthroughs of games were exempt?

It's a pretty grey area. The thing is though, that most companies don't go after them as there's little to gain and a lot to lose, PR wise.
    In this case it's probably DMCAing channels that give the game bad press so early in the launch.

Dark Raven XRMS Oceanic
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Nosf wrote: »
    So the new angry posts are now that
    the boss for level 4 is the same as the final boss, same models, same mocap etc. Both are QTE.

Guy posted this to twitter. Spoilers and such. Looking at it as a cautionary tale, I think when I do wind up breaking down and buying either a One or a PS4 that pre-orders are going to be a real no no for me.
    That's... not great.

EDIT: The contents of the tweet I mean, not the bit about preorders which I certainly agree with.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    The thing i find funny about this whole thing is that the developers seem to be getting all pissed off, not because people are trashing the game for valid reasons but because they are trashing the game before people get to fork money out for it first.

Seems like a really shitty thing to be pissed at. make a good game that gives valid for its price tag, then bitch all you want about early releases.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Well they're obviously proud of their overproduced turd and don't think there's anything wrong with it. But they should be ashamed because they just spent years wasting a lot of peoples time and money because they couldn't take a step back and get a look at their project as a whole and adjust their priorities.

• Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    I mean, I honestly like games with limited play-through times, if the content is good. 10-15 hours of good stuff? Sure. On the other side, magnum opuses like BG2 that take dozens of hours, minimum, and it's all pretty great. Even better.

I don't like padding, so Dragon Age Inquisition gathering bullshit got cheated away the second I found out how. The problem with the design of this game is that even if the content was really good, 5-10 hours out of a game priced at 60 €/$ is quite little, especially if you subscribe to the movie ticket comparison school of thought. What makes it seem worse is that a lot of that isn't even gameplay time.

I haven't played the game, and reliable reports seem scarce at the moment. It'll be interesting to follow though.

• QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    I mean, I honestly like games with limited play-through times, if the content is good. 10-15 hours of good stuff? Sure. On the other side, magnum opuses like BG2 that take dozens of hours, minimum, and it's all pretty great. Even better.

I don't like padding, so Dragon Age Inquisition gathering bullshit got cheated away the second I found out how. The problem with the design of this game is that even if the content was really good, 5-10 hours out of a game priced at 60 €/$ is quite little, especially if you subscribe to the movie ticket comparison school of thought. What makes it seem worse is that a lot of that isn't even gameplay time.

I haven't played the game, and reliable reports seem scarce at the moment. It'll be interesting to follow though.

Sounds like these guys should've received a visit from LucasArts developers and told the cautionary tale of The Force Unleashed.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    Short game length is only offensive if the game itself isn't that good. Besides that, its an argument that has led us to a very bad place in mainstream game making.

Like really the argument of "more bang for your buck" is just so terrible. It encourages devs to put in pointless shit that adds nothing to the actual experience, and is just a grind to add game time. A game should take as much time to play as it takes to deliver the experience it intends to deliver. Skyrim is meant to be a rollicking adventure through a huge region, most people clock it in at 100+ hours but you could beat the core story in maybe 10-15 tops. Meanwhile Shadow of the Colossus took maybe 5 hours? But what a great 5 hours those were, still some of the most memorable in gaming. Both were $60 games!

With the game not even out yet, I find it almost intolerable that the biggest strike against it is its length. The only solid criticism I've heard was that Twitter post accusing them of reusing the same content. Yeah, that sucks, and would be a reason to avoid the game. But its length? OH NOES I COULDN'T VEG OUT WITH IT FOR AN ENTIRE WEEKEND 0/10 WORST GAME!

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
    BloodySlothTychoCelchuuuSkull2185Darth_MogsUnco-ordinated
  • BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Frei wrote: »
    number scores are meaningless. read the actual words. publications are starting to actually give out low scores to even AAA games, too, like Destiny and etc.

I want this game to do well just to see more from this studio. I can only assume they'd expand on the world and make more fleshed out/extensive stuff in the future. I love the aesthetics and the time period and there aren't many games like that.

I don't want to read a full review or watch a twitch stream. Just give me a ranking so I can move on with my life. The Eurogamer solution is... ok, but I'll probably go there far less because of it.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I just take a simple and pragmatic view to these things.

If I spend $80 on your game (and yes, after taxes, that's what fucking games cost in Canada these days...) and I beat your game in two or even one sitting... I will feel incredibly ripped off. The intensity may vary depending on circumstances, but in general even if you were The Perfect Game crafted by The Lord Himself, I'd still be pissed.

Who wants a food analogy?! :D It's like spending a lot of money at a restaurant, and in return getting one of those comically stereotypical servings, where it's like a cube with a sprig of celery. Even if it's the best tasting cube in the world. I'm going to be thinking about how I could have had a pizza that would have filled me up just as well and for a fraction of the price. And have money left over for other stuff. Like moar pizza.

Meanwhile, there absolutely is a place for those tiny cubes of food. Just not for 80 bucks.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    cB557Xavier1216
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Max Payne and Max Payne 2 can both be beaten in about 4 hours apiece.

I have replayed both all the way through dozens of times apiece, something I wouldn't have done if they were bloated with filler like most longer games.

I'd much rather have quality than quantity. Give me the single amazing steak while you enjoy your bucket of Taco Bell meat.

I'm not defending The Order, but I will endlessly poo-poo the misguided notion that 'longer always equals better.'

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    TychoCelchuuuSkull2185Darth_MogsemnmnmeTOGSolidvagrant_windsBRIAN BLESSEDCaptainNemo
  • AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular

If I spend $80 on your game (and yes, after taxes, that's what fucking games cost in Canada these days...) and I beat your game in two or even one sitting... I will feel incredibly ripped off. The intensity may vary depending on circumstances, but in general even if you were The Perfect Game crafted by The Lord Himself, I'd still be pissed.

Who wants a food analogy?! :D It's like spending a lot of money at a restaurant, and in return getting one of those comically stereotypical servings, where it's like a cube with a sprig of celery. Even if it's the best tasting cube in the world. I'm going to be thinking about how I could have had a pizza that would have filled me up just as well and for a fraction of the price. And have money left over for other stuff. Like moar pizza.

Meanwhile, there absolutely is a place for those tiny cubes of food. Just not for 80 bucks.

Well, if you were eating those cubes of food you would be having a tasting menu, which would mean that you're getting several of those cubes at least, and more than likely an alcohol pairing or two. The idea being that each of those cubes is a highly focused taste experience and the progression of them is meant to mingle with each other and ideally by the end of it you'll be highly satisfied with the whole experience. Maybe you're still a little hungry, but hey that just means that they've stoked your appetite, because chances are you've really just eaten several thousand calories.

Meanwhile yes for the same price you can get a lot of pizza, but chances are since all you're worried about is the amount of product you're receiving you're getting like sixteen Hot-'n'-Readys at Little Caesars. You can feed yourself for several days, but at the end of the day all you're really doing is satisfying your hunger, because no matter how good that pizza was the first day or so it'll eventually get stale to your palate eating the same thing over and over again. Maybe you even throw the rest of it away, and go get a bunch of cheap Chinese food so you can eat something else for a while.

Yeah, food analogy was a good choice.

BloodySlothYerMum
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Apparently Target, at least the Target in my area, has broken street date and is already selling this. I just got a text from a friend who was standing in our local Target with a copy of the game in his hand.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    You can do a lot better than Taco Bell meat and bargain pizzas, and still come out ahead in the price/quality/quantity ratio dance.

There's a massive middle ground here. It's not "top shelf vs bottom basement". Or at least it shouldn't be.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    Gaslight
  • Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    For me it's less the play time than the fact that (according to that 5 1/2 hr YouTube play through folks have dissected) the game is 40% cutscenes and QTE's.

SyphonBlueJusticeforPluto
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Alazull wrote: »

Well, if you were eating those cubes of food you would be having a tasting menu, which would mean that you're getting several of those cubes at least, and more than likely an alcohol pairing or two. The idea being that each of those cubes is a highly focused taste experience and the progression of them is meant to mingle with each other and ideally by the end of it you'll be highly satisfied with the whole experience. Maybe you're still a little hungry, but hey that just means that they've stoked your appetite, because chances are you've really just eaten several thousand calories.

Meanwhile yes for the same price you can get a lot of pizza, but chances are since all you're worried about is the amount of product you're receiving you're getting like sixteen Hot-'n'-Readys at Little Caesars. You can feed yourself for several days, but at the end of the day all you're really doing is satisfying your hunger, because no matter how good that pizza was the first day or so it'll eventually get stale to your palate eating the same thing over and over again. Maybe you even throw the rest of it away, and go get a bunch of cheap Chinese food so you can eat something else for a while.

Yeah, food analogy was a good choice.

And if you eat that much in a single sitting you get a massive case of the shits, potentially throw up, and not want to do that ever again until enough time passes that you only remember the fun part about gorging on food. Meanwhile you hasten your descent into corpulence, diabetes, and an early death.

Best analogy ever.

On a serious note, I've been watching all the kerfuffle around this game with enough eyerolling occurring that they've detached from their retinas. I don't have any actual stake in the game itself since I don't own a PS4 but the arguments surrounding it are of interest since some of them reflect a poisonous attitude that leads to bloated, meandering experiences in gaming that don't really offer the quality I'd expect of the price.

The argument of "it's too short!" is so spurious and silly that it's hard to know where to begin. A game's quality has nothing to do with its length as long as the quality of what you get is up to snuff. Max Payne 1 and 2 are still some of my favorite shooters and they're not very long. They are, however, very well written with fantastic gameplay. Similarly, I've gotten a lot of time out of "short" titles like Vanquish because the gameplay is just wonderful and replaying the title to improve yourself is half the fun. Length means nothing as long as the game you get out of it is so good that the length becomes meaningless. Saying a game has to be 8-10 hours at least to be worth it is like saying a book must be two hundred pages or more or that a movie absolutely must clock in at least around two hours. Length means nothing. It's the quality of the experience you have while doing whatever it is you're doing that matters.

That said, the "it's a bunch of god damn shit other than gameplay" argument is a solid one and one I can relate to. I never finished Max Payne 3 because it was constantly yanking control away from me with endless cutscenes. The game was longer than the prior two titles but so much of it was just watching the game instead of playing it that I gave up on it. Granted, your mileage will vary and there are people that liked MP3. More power to em. Likewise, there will be people that will have a perfectly wonderful time with The Order even if it's 40% not actual gameplay. Are these games a bad thing? Eh, that's subjective since, as already said, some people like that sorta thing. Not every game is gonna appease to everyone and we've all get our kicks different ways. The important part is that if a game doesn't sell well that the developers don't get the message that it sold like crap because its short and instead get the message that it didn't sell well just cause it sucked. Otherwise, the next game we get will be The Order: 1887 and it'll be 10 hours long but still be just as crappy.

It's like training a dog, you gotta make sure the scolding properly follows the bad behavior. Otherwise it'll keep shitting on the floor.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    Skull2185
    edited February 2015
    You can do a lot better than Taco Bell meat and bargain pizzas, and still come out ahead in the price/quality/quantity ratio dance.

There's a massive middle ground here. It's not "top shelf vs bottom basement". Or at least it shouldn't be.

Agreed, that's exactly what I'm saying, and I used the framework of your analogy to explain it to you.

To take it a step further with it, I would love to offer on the menu a 72 oz dry aged wagyu ribeye with a black truffle sauce mounted with foie gras and beef demi glace to you, but if I don't charge you at least $175 I will be losing money on both the cost of the food itself and the labor involved in making everything that goes into the dish. And that's before we talk about the awesome potatos and seasonal veg on the side.

Again, what I'm trying to say is that this game could be absolute dog shit set on fire, and I'm not trying to deny that. However, if the only criticism against it is game length, then you're not really offering salient arguments for or against a game.

Also I should mention that I'm a chef, so any time you want to take the metaphorical ball out of my court feel free.

Alazull on
    TOGSolidYerMum
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Yeah. If there was an assortment of monsters, I would be interested in the game.

Someone needs to run with the concept of the old PC game called Nocturne.

Now, I am going to have to dig up that game. It may be too much of a pain in the ass to beat though. I jumped to the end when I played it before.

• legionlegion North YorkRegistered User regular
    I guess Bestbuy broke street date, since I'm sitting here with 2 copies of The Order (accidentally ordered it in 2 separate sets of discounted preorder deals). It actually should've gotten here Tuesday, but apparently canada post drivers don't know how to knock. Neither bonus DLC code they sent me is working though, which I figure is related to the game not technically being out yet. I'll try again on the 20th, I guess.

My PS4 seems to be acting weird though. I booted it up to install the game and it prompted me about a system update, which I installed, and started installing the order after restarting. Then, about when the game seemed to be fully installed, the PS4 mysteriously rebooted again, then prompted me to go into safe mode. It took reinstalling the system update a couple of times (seemed to error out the first time) and a bunch of reboots to get it working normally again. Hopefully it's not crapping out on me.

In any case, with my PS4 wonkiness, I haven't had much time to play yet, but the game feels more like an interactive story so far, with action vignettes interspersed between cut scenes. It's fun enough, albeit pretty straight forward as far as cover shooting goes, but hopefully there are some meatier gameplay segments before the story wraps up.

Reviews are coming in and they are looking dire.

Capture.jpg~original
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    IGN - 6.5
    Gamespot - 5
    Forbes - 6.5
    Edge - 3
    Kotaku - NO out of YES

jeez louise

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
    edited February 2015
    Gamespot 5/10
    Escapist 3/5
    Jim Sterling 6.5/10
    Giant Bomb 2/5
    Polygon: 5.5/10

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Ouch, this is brutal. Probably end up with the worst reviews of any first party game this gen so far.

I think the reviews touch on something that put me off about the game in that it didn't seem like the story or characters were interesting enough to go for the whole cinematic game thing.

Sure is pretty though.

• Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    I was pretty defensive about the game being slated purely on length, and would have picked it up regardless. However these reviews really have put me off massively, as has the fact (slight spoiler)
    You only fight against a handful of werewolves. I can shoot regular people in any game!

The general plot does still interest me a bit, but I think I'll be saving my money for the retail release of Dying Light and getting this when it's on offer.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    So this has turned out to be the PS4 version off Ryse, all spectacle and no content or gameplay....

...Only worse. That's.... kinda impressive in a way you don't want to impress.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    "The Order is a third-person shooter somewhat like Gears of War, if Gears of War had been a bad game instead of a good one. "

ouch

well this kind of fucking sucks because I was hoping to have my concerns addressed? I dunno. I'm pretty disappointed over this though.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I'll play it when it's free on PS+, I guess.

SyphonBlueDark Raven XRhesus PositiveXavier1216Big ClassyVenture Industry
    edited February 2015
    double post

vagrant_winds on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I'm just tired of third-person cover shooters, especially ones that barely do anything different. That was 90% of games last gen, we don't need more.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Ryse had gameplay. It ended up being an actual game instead of the QTE thing they showed at E3, and it was pretty dang fun too.

I've got The Order preloaded and ready to go on my PS4. I'm still willing to give it a shot, so we'll see how that goes.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    Big Classy