As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Order 1886: Cinematic dick flopping simulator

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Now I'd like to see the same developer who wrote that long non-statement in defense of 5 hour playthrough that did not skip cutscenes, defend against these reviews.

This is why I called it an overproduced turd. It was obvious to me where all of their attention went. They wanted it to look good, and with such a sharp focus on that, they let what could have potentially been an incredible setting and story go to waste because they forgot that they were still making a game.

Now they've wasted all of this development time, and all of this money, and squandered the potential such a setting could have had.

I really, really, really wanted this game to be good.

vamen
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    I'm just tired of third-person cover shooters, especially ones that barely do anything different. That was 90% of games last gen, we don't need more.

I personally feel the opposite. Many of the third-person cover shooters of last generation are among my favorite games of all time. The Last of Us. The Uncharted series. Gears of War. Max Payne 3. Tomb Raider. The Mass Effect Trilogy.

Those are the games I love most from previous generation.

Done right, the third-person shooter genre is my favorite genre.

Naturally, if a game is shit, it will be shit. There were plenty of bad third-person games that came out, but that's true of any genre.

Lucascraft on
    ShadowhopeValleo
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I'm just tired of third-person cover shooters, especially ones that barely do anything different. That was 90% of games last gen, we don't need more.

I personally feel the opposite. Many of the third-person cover shooters of last generation are among my favorite games of all time. The Last of Us. The Uncharted series. Gears of War. Max Payne 3. Tomb Raider. The Mass Effect Trilogy.

Those are the games I love most from previous generation.

Done right, the third-person shooter genre is my favorite genre.

Naturally, if a game is shit, it will be shit. There were plenty of bad third-person games that came out, but that's true of any genre.

Yeah I'm not saying there weren't great games, but there were a ton of them last gen. It's a new gen, make some new games.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I don't want to seem like I'm defending this game just because everyone else is hating on it, but I just watched the IGN review, and it doesn't seem that bad. I'm actually kind of excited to play it tomorrow.

The one thing I didn't know about that kind of irks me is the whole letterbox black bar thing. The Evil Within did that and I hated it.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I don't want to seem like I'm defending this game just because everyone else is hating on it, but I just watched the IGN review, and it doesn't seem that bad. I'm actually kind of excited to play it tomorrow.

The one thing I didn't know about that kind of irks me is the whole letterbox black bar thing. The Evil Within did that and I hated it.

It seems like a perfectly fine rental. But that's not what the reviews are reviewing. They're reviewing it as a $60 purchase, and as that it appears to fail miserably.

LxX6eco.jpg
    Funny thing, I did not even realize that Evil Within did the letterbox thing until a friend of mine pointed it out to me.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Now I'd like to see the same developer who wrote that long non-statement in defense of 5 hour playthrough that did not skip cutscenes, defend against these reviews.

This is why I called it an overproduced turd. It was obvious to me where all of their attention went. They wanted it to look good, and with such a sharp focus on that, they let what could have potentially been an incredible setting and story go to waste because they forgot that they were still making a game.

Now they've wasted all of this development time, and all of this money, and squandered the potential such a setting could have had.

What's your opinion on Telltale games? They're relatively devoid of skill-based gameplay and they're well-produced but everyone really seems to like them.

emnmnme wrote: »

What's your opinion on Telltale games? They're relatively devoid of skill-based gameplay and they're well-produced but everyone really seems to like them.

Those are completely different games, and also they're only $25

LxX6eco.jpg
    Beezelvagrant_windsBloodySlothRhan9
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Yeah there's not a lot of mixed or poor messaging involved in what you get with a Telltale game

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Never played one, but Telltale games are just a modern choose your own adventure aren't they?

Spaffy
  • cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I love the idea and the execution behind the Telltale games, but after about 10 minutes in I'm about ready to fall asleep.

edited February 2015
    emnmnme wrote: »

They're also not third person shooters. So I don't understand what my opinion of a different genre has to do with this one. But if it helps, I've played The Walking Dead seasons 1 and 2, and I thoroughly enjoyed both.

Viskod on
  • Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Watching the Giant Bomb Quick Look and it's confirming most of my concerns. Definitely a 'rent or buy it cheap' game for me.

Game does have some impressive looking graphics though.

lionheart_m
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited February 2015

It seems like a perfectly fine rental. But that's not what the reviews are reviewing. They're reviewing it as a $60 purchase, and as that it appears to fail miserably.

Not a PS4 owner, but I was hoping for Good Things to be said of this new IP because the world needs more new IPs, especially AAA IPs... but the written reviews seem to be shredding it and not in a "it's trendy to shred" kind of way. Curious to read what it sounds like from the ground.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    cloudeagle
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I really wonder how often dev teams have meetings where the main topic is "Our game isn't any fun" and what kind of action items come from that.

cB557
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Not a PS4 owner, but I was hoping for Good Things to be said of this new IP because the world needs more new IPs, especially AAA IPs... but the written reviews seem to be shredding it and not in a "it's trendy to shred" kind of way. Curious to read what it sounds like from the ground.

Yeah, in this brave new world of fewer and increasingly samey AAA games this is kind of a gutpunch. Length was just the start of the game's issues... looks like I can't even justify the rental.

Oh, if you're wondering, Kotaku confirmed the fact that the final boss is
    a carbon copy of a werewolf QTE fight you have early in the game.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    Can we please have an intervention for game developers and QTEs?

Also for having to mash a button to open a door/chest.

LxX6eco.jpg
    cB557
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Yeah, in this brave new world of fewer and increasingly samey AAA games this is kind of a gutpunch. Length was just the start of the game's issues... looks like I can't even justify the rental.

I'm still not sure if the Verge review was meant to be satire.

As for that spoiler from Kotaku:
    I"m assuming that if the game starts in media res, the first and last battle are the same because they're actually the same one. they just employ a flashback and you're playing back up to that point.

edited February 2015

I"m assuming that if the game starts in media res, the first and last battle are the same because they're actually the same one. they just employ a flashback and you're playing back up to that point.

That really doesn't make things better. I wouldn't want to watch that in a movie, either.
    Yes, I know plenty of media employs flashbacks/forwards with an encounter to make everything full circle. But generally, the second time involves plenty of new stuff, rather than the exact same thing. This seems less like a narrative choice and more like the devs ran out of money and couldn't finish the actual final encounter. Especially since, according to Kotaku, there are so few werewolves in the game as it is.

cloudeagle on
    cB557
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

You're telling me this is a game involving AU Knights of the Round Table and the final boss isn't Mordred, Arthur, or even Lancelot? Talk about wasting the setting.

Hell make it a corrupted Galahad with the power of the Holy Grail.

Dark Raven XViskod
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited February 2015

No, they're different parts of the story, they just copy pasted animations and such.

reVerse on
  • BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Fuck this is getting raked over the coals in reviews.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Read one that said it was a launch title that shipped 15 months late; all style no substance. If the studio survives I'd like to think they salvage this and do better next time. Was there ever any talk of DLC for it?

• Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

You're telling me this is a game involving AU Knights of the Round Table and the final boss isn't Mordred, Arthur, or even Lancelot? Talk about wasting the setting.

Which reminds me, I would be totally into an Arthurian RPG or something. Doing knight errant stuff would be baller.

GaslightEvilpolarbear

That really doesn't make things better. I wouldn't want to watch that in a movie, either.
    Yes, I know plenty of media employs flashbacks/forwards with an encounter to make everything full circle. But generally, the second time involves plenty of new stuff, rather than the exact same thing. This seems less like a narrative choice and more like the devs ran out of money and couldn't finish the actual final encounter. Especially since, according to Kotaku, there are so few werewolves in the game as it is.

lol... well,

tbf, we don't know the specific details of the encounter? reVerse says it's a copy paste of the fight mechanics, not the scene. IDK though.

As for the werewolves, Kotaku's review suggests they act like the wolves/bears in Assassin's Creed III. or more generously the Stalkers from Dead Space. So maybe not fighting a bunch of them isn't a bad thing as you're merely trading flavors of disappointment? :P

Nosf wrote: »
    Read one that said it was a launch title that shipped 15 months late; all style no substance. If the studio survives I'd like to think they salvage this and do better next time. Was there ever any talk of DLC for it?

All I can find for DLC are costume n' gun pre-order bonuses.

Good point -- I hope this experience doesn't kill the studio. That happens far too much in today's biz.

lol... well,

tbf, we don't know the specific details of the encounter? reVerse says it's a copy paste of the fight mechanics, not the scene. IDK though.

As for the werewolves, Kotaku's review suggests they act like the wolves/bears in Assassin's Creed III. or more generously the Stalkers from Dead Space. So maybe not fighting a bunch of them isn't a bad thing as you're merely trading flavors of disappointment? :P

Just for clarity's sake:
    S322kY3.png

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

According to the Quick Look,
    you are Galahad. I think. You're companions are Perceval etc.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

According to the Quick Look,
    you are Galahad. I think. You're companions are Perceval etc.

Gawain then. Or the Green Knight. Lady of the Lake could be a contender with Merlin too.

Lots and lots of material in the Knights of the Round lore and sounds like this game dropped all of it.

According to Giant Bomb, the story just kind of ends with no real closure.

So guess what the DLC is going to be.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

Cancelled?

GaslighttastydonutsdarleysamDark Raven XXavier1216BubbyBlackbird SR-71CTOGSolidvagrant_windsFawstRaiden333chiasaur11Robonun
    edited February 2015
    reVerse wrote: »

lol... well,

Just for clarity's sake:
    S322kY3.png

Oh. They're not. Thanks for the screencaps, let me trace it back to the source... the guy is playing it up a lot.
    While the scenes are similar, they are not copy pasta, while the animations are similar. It falls more within the realm of the mechanics. If the mob swipes right, you press right to dodge.

These are the fights. They are also MASSIVE SPOILERS.

Starts at 13:01

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=O31H4E6IPog#t=781

Starts at 1:58.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=HzB2if5LRMA#t=118

edit: Since you can press L2/R2 to initiate combat moves, I'm assuming the "battle loops" at a standby state, then when you take those attacks the opponent reacts to initiate the QTE for attacking it. If you wait too long, or w/e, it attacks you and engages that QTE. At certain points of HP it then engages the more complicated animations (the table, throwing into the wall, etc) that segue into the next "stage" of the fight.

tastydonuts on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »

Cancelled?

Oh, snap.

forumsig.png
    Rhesus Positive
    Ugh. So these reviews are extremely disheartening. I was trying to keep a bit of optimism during the whole length debacle, but if the game is also a shitty gameplay experience, it is becoming very difficult to maintain any level of excitement or optimism.

I even booked a half day of work tomorrow so I could go home and game. I still want to take the time off, but now I need to figure out if I want to just bite the bullet and try the game anyway, or if I should seek out an alternative. I definitely want to play something new with my time off. The problem is, most of the new games that I'm interested in will be released next month or in the summer. This game was supposed to be my hold-over through the slow winter months.

edited February 2015
    Burnage wrote: »

Cancelled?

A post worthy of your username. :P

tastydonuts on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    You never want to see games fail, but I have to say that I'm not even a little bit surprised about how this has shaken out.

Even before the rumbling about the game length started, they have always been extremely coy about showing much of the actual game, and what was shown had always seemed tepid.

Scosglen on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Ugh. So these reviews are extremely disheartening. I was trying to keep a bit of optimism during the whole length debacle, but if the game is also a shitty gameplay experience, it is becoming very difficult to maintain any level of excitement or optimism.

I even booked a half day of work tomorrow so I could go home and game. I still want to take the time off, but now I need to figure out if I want to just bite the bullet and try the game anyway, or if I should seek out an alternative. I definitely want to play something new with my time off. The problem is, most of the new games that I'm interested in will be released next month or in the summer. This game was supposed to be my hold-over through the slow winter months.

Well, on the bright side, you shouldn't need more time than that if you did decide to play The Order.

Seriously though, I feel your disappointment. I've had a number of pre-orders turn out to be less-than-worth-the-money and I know it's not a fun situation.

forumsig.png

lol... well,

Just for clarity's sake:
    S322kY3.png

Oh. They're not. Thanks for the screencaps, let me trace it back to the source... the guy is playing it up a lot.
    While the scenes are similar, they are not copy pasta, while the animations are similar. It falls more within the realm of the mechanics. If the mob swipes right, you press right to dodge.

edit: Since you can press L2/R2 to initiate combat moves, I'm assuming the "battle loops" at a standby state, then when you take those attacks the opponent reacts to initiate the QTE for attacking it. If you wait too long, or w/e, it attacks you and engages that QTE. At certain points of HP it then engages the more complicated animations (the table, throwing into the wall, etc) that segue into the next "stage" of the fight.
    It may not be quite as bad as it sounds, but it still looks extremely lazy, especially since one of the fights is the final battle.

lol... well,

Just for clarity's sake:
    S322kY3.png

It may not be quite as bad as it sounds, but it still looks extremely lazy, especially since one of the fights is the final battle.

Yeah. I think it's more along the lines of the final battle in a modern turn based RPG, vs the final battle in a third person shooter. Or at least, that's the closest analogue I could think of when it comes to the werewolf boss fights. :P

Thinking of this game being more cinema than actual game makes me want to go play Asura's Wrath again.