As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Order 1886: Cinematic dick flopping simulator

1234689

Posts

  • nusunusu Registered User regular
    What percentage of pre-orders do you think are getting canceled/transferred to Bloodborne/Witcher3/Uncharted4 today? 50%? 60%?

  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Ehh, the kinda people that still pre-order are probably not really easily swayed. :P

    Oh brilliant
  • BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Are Bloodborne and UC4 the only really big guaranteed to be good PS4 exclusives this year?

    Transporter
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Bubby wrote: »
    Are Bloodborne and UC4 the only really big guaranteed to be good PS4 exclusives this year?

    It's more than Microsoft's got this year

    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    Panda4YouJusticeforPluto
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Bubby wrote: »
    Are Bloodborne and UC4 the only really big guaranteed to be good PS4 exclusives this year?

    Nothing is guaranteed.

    Probably the only universal truth you can count on.

    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    Skull2185vamenCarbonFireMrVyngaard
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Bubby wrote: »
    Are Bloodborne and UC4 the only really big guaranteed to be good PS4 exclusives this year?

    Persona 5.

    QuiotuDevoutlyApathetic
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Generally - for me - "preorder" is a mere technicality. I buy like 90% of my games off of Amazon. I'm a Prime member so I get free 2day shipping and release-day shipping. So my online purchase is just handily rolled into my preorder.

    But for The Order, I took a few games I wasn't playing anymore, such as Evil Within, PVZ:GW, and a few older PS3 games and traded them in at Gamestop. I fully paid off The Order with my store credit, and I also had enough credit left over to put about $15 down on Bloodborne.

    So here I am with a preorder of The Order, which I didn't put any new money into, but rather put recycled old games into, and I can't decide if I want it or not. I could move the remainder of my credit onto Bloodborne, which is much more likely to be awesome, especially since I've already seen the first 20 minutes of gameplay and know that I crave that game.

    Or I could just suck it up, buy The Order, and play it for the 5-6 hours and try to get some measure of entertainment out of it, since I didn't pay anything out of pocket for it. And being a former Gamestop employee, I know how to work the system there to maximize my return credit on games. If I beat The Order over the weekend and trade it in like 3 days later, I can probably recoup as much as $40 in store credit.

    Lucascraft on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Bubby wrote: »
    Are Bloodborne and UC4 the only really big guaranteed to be good PS4 exclusives this year?

    There's a few others -- Until Dawn, the Ratchet & Clank remaster, No Man's Sky, Hellblade, the Tearaway port, Let it Die and some I'm forgetting.

    But yeah, Bloodborne and UC4 are the biggies by far.

    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Bubby wrote: »
    Are Bloodborne and UC4 the only really big guaranteed to be good PS4 exclusives this year?

    There's a few others -- Until Dawn, the Ratchet & Clank remaster, No Man's Sky, Hellblade, the Tearaway port, Let it Die and some I'm forgetting.

    But yeah, Bloodborne and UC4 are the biggies by far.

    I honestly think with the reaction and trending it got, we can probably add Persona 5 as a biggie, and yeah I do think it will be out in the US this year.

    As for this game, I think there was a very small group excited for it, while most were optimistic but waiting for actual gameplay and numbers. The Order was as questionable as Ryse and got as much scrutiny, apparently for good reason.

    wbee62u815wj.png
  • eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    nusu wrote: »
    What percentage of pre-orders do you think are getting canceled/transferred to Bloodborne/Witcher3/Uncharted4 today? 50%? 60%?

    I just cancelled my preorder. :pop:

    I was on the fence over the last week as more of these gameplay things came up. Length doesn't really matter to me, but the focus on QTE and the poor reviews just pushed me over the edge. The only problem is now I have nothing to really play until Bloodborne!

    Edit:
    For the record, I ordered Ryse with my Day 1 and enjoyed it a lot. I was hoping for a similar thing here, but hope just died today. :(

    eMoander on
    Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Ehh, the kinda people that still pre-order are probably not really easily swayed. :P

    The last game I preordered and then saw a flood of reviews that spoke DOOM, HORRIBAD, etc was Aliens: CM. The game, albeit rough in a few spots, was still entertaining. When it comes down to it, it's not about how much fun or bad an experience some reviewers, your friends, etc have. It's about your experience. The larger argument against this game from these reviews seems to be that while it's very pretty, it's gameplay is dated and/or extremely vanilla/generic in its nature. I guess what I'm saying is, if I had a preorder for this game, the impressions of others at this point wouldn't have made me cancel my preorder. It could still be a fun game without being a snowflake and all.

    A good (and more relevant) example of a game that has had a similar brand of "it sucks" reviews thrown at it would be Ryse. Ryse is pretty! Ryse is QTEs, etc, etc. Hands on with Ryse though and it was actually entertaining. So, I guess if you want to see some dick flopping, give this game a shot? IDK. :P

    edit: haha, I didn't even see eMoander or Quiotu's posts until just now. Yeah. I think The Order: 1886 may just be the PS4's Ryse... only several months later.

    tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    Dark Raven X
  • Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Nosf wrote: »
    Read one that said it was a launch title that shipped 15 months late; all style no substance. If the studio survives I'd like to think they salvage this and do better next time. Was there ever any talk of DLC for it?

    According to Giant Bomb, the story just kind of ends with no real closure.

    So guess what the DLC is going to be.

    Cancelled?

    Ok, that's funny

    But seriously, I'm almost curious now, if they release DLC, will it rival the main game's playtime? Cause that'd be kinda hilarious - " The DLC that was longer than the actual game"

    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I haven't written this game off yet. The only real footage I've seen is from the IGN review, but that didn't seem horrible so I dunno... Hopefully I'll get some enjoyment out of it. I bought it on PSN last night so I could have it preloaded and ready to go for Friday, so I couldn't cancel the preorder even if I wanted to.

    I'm the one weirdo who had fun with FUSE (solo even!), so maybe The Order will be a similar situation. I hope.

    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Bubby wrote: »
    Are Bloodborne and UC4 the only really big guaranteed to be good PS4 exclusives this year?

    There's a few others -- Until Dawn, the Ratchet & Clank remaster, No Man's Sky, Hellblade, the Tearaway port

    I hate to be a pedant but Tearaway is an entirely new game, not a port.

    I'm mostly looking forward to Until Dawn, followed closely by UC4 and Tearaway.

    Talking exclusives if you count console, they also have Street Fighter 5, Everybody's gone to the rapture (I think that's exclusive), Grim Fandango (out now, wooooo!), The Forest, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and The Witness (timed, apparently).

    May not be of interest if you've a decent gaming PC but I think it's fair to include them.

    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Bubby wrote: »
    Are Bloodborne and UC4 the only really big guaranteed to be good PS4 exclusives this year?

    There's a few others -- Until Dawn, the Ratchet & Clank remaster, No Man's Sky, Hellblade, the Tearaway port

    I hate to be a pedant but Tearaway is an entirely new game, not a port.

    Oh, is it? Cool, glad to be wrong on that one.

    Still baffled SFV is an exclusive to, well, anything, but here we are. But knowing Capcom it's probably timed.

    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    Dark Raven XPanda4You
  • ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    I don't see any reason to avoid this game without hands-on experience, at least from my perspective.

    Most of the reviewers have been attacking the game for being narrow, short, linear, overly "cinematic", and therefore not a complete package.

    But none of those things are bad in any objective way. It is a horrible standard to have that no game can have a cinematic focus; that a game must have multiplayer or an open world to be objectively good. That means sacrificing other things, such as exploration, complexity, and length. They pay-off, however, is in the polish and the cinematic immersion, which most seem to say The Order has certainly delivered on.

    I'm not going to say these reviews are wrong; it is subjective and I have yet to play the game. Their criticism just seems too focused on the game not being something the developer never intended to make. When reviews can impact sales, the prospects of a sequel, and even the developers' jobs, I think one ought to reconsider any preconceived notions and consider, instead, that the game may actually be appealing to a certain audience, and they ought to make an effort to see that. Some of the scores on Gamerankings reflect that, with a few praising the cinematic approach as something that has been lost to gaming for too long.

    As someone whose favorite games include Skyrim and Dragon Age, I would hate to see the industry become a place where a AAA game with a cinematic focus cannot be accepted on those terms.

    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
    Skull2185Panda4YouDyvim Tvar
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    The stuff i've read has made it pretty clear that those aspects of it were great. That it looks fantastic and the cinematic theme of it was well done. Just that in addition it's not fun to play and there isn't much of it there so it may be a bad value proposition for a lot of people.

    Not that cinematic focus can never be an aspect of video games ever, but that the things they sacrificed in order to achieve that focus make it a bad value proposition from the reviewer's perspective. Someone who only cares about visuals and cinematography would probably realize this, read those reviews, and realize they don't care about all the negatives and will buy it anyway.

    If a game is intended to appeal to a wide audience and cost full price, however, it needs more than just "looks really nice".

  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Dragon Age and Skyrim are not purely cinematic experiences, they have incredibly deep game play elements to back their cinematic focus up. The argument isn't that cinematic games are bad, it's that cinematic games that are linear QTE-fests are in fact leaving on the floor what makes video games great. If they wanted to make The Order 1866 The Movie, they should have done that.

    If Dragon Age and Skyrim are your reasons that cinematic games with little to no actual game play are "good for the industry", those are terrible examples as their game play is stupidly deep. A better example would be The Walking Dead, or Tales From the Borderlands, but those games have the advantage of not being full priced experiences. People are perfectly justified in feeling they've gotten half a product when a 60 dollar game is a five hour cinematic QTE and reviewers are 100% justified in calling it like it is.

    GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    drunkenpandarenGaslightMagic Pink
  • Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Even QTE-fests can do fine. Just look at Heavy Rain. It got fantastic reviews, almost deservedly so (its flaws being the bad acting and the sloppy story, not its cinematic nature)

    Emperor_Z on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I personally didn't like Heavy Rain, but people still felt like they got their monies worth with it. Obviously reviewers and consumers are not feeling that way with 1866.

    A lot of it comes down to a flash versus substance argument. It seems like The Order has amazing flash, and little to no substance, and for a lot of people that just doesn't equate to a good video game.

    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Blackbird SR-71C
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I roll my eyes at brutal letterboxing for "cinematic effect" since it's actually just for oh god we cannot possibly push the full number of pixels on this screen, just make 1/3rd of it black. it'll be fine.

    aeNqQM9.jpg
    SniperGuyPanda4YouGaslightchiasaur11Blackbird SR-71CBRIAN BLESSED
  • ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Dragon Age and Skyrim are not purely cinematic experiences, they have incredibly deep game play elements to back their cinematic focus up. The argument isn't that cinematic games are bad, it's that cinematic games that are linear QTE-fests are in fact leaving on the floor what makes video games great. If they wanted to make The Order 1866 The Movie, they should have done that.

    If Dragon Age and Skyrim are your reasons that cinematic games with little to no actual game play are "good for the industry", those are terrible examples as their game play is stupidly deep. A better example would be The Walking Dead, or Tales From the Borderlands, but those games have the advantage of not being full priced experiences. People are perfectly justified in feeling they've gotten half a product when a 60 dollar game is a five hour cinematic QTE and reviewers are 100% justified in calling it like it is.

    I'm sorry, I didn't phrase that right. I meant to say that Dragon Age and Skyrim are sort of the opposite of The Order, and even though they are the sort of games I prefer, I still like to see cinematic games such as The Order.

    I don't want to debate an individual reviewer's experience, it is not my right to say someone's opinion is viable or not. But I am a little more skeptical of most reviews as they simply have not reflected my video game experience more and more.

    Or, for the inverse, look at Portal 2. That is a game with about the same run time, and similar amount of focus on a very specific experience. Portal 2 sacrificed a lot to focus on a puzzle driven game; it was short, the basic elements were more or less the same throughout, and the environment and NPC variety was incredibly limited. However, with its focus on the puzzles, on the quirkiness of the setting and premise, Portal 2 delivers a beautiful experience that most would agree is worth the full price they charged.

    The Order attempts a similar, focus-driven approach. Instead, that focus is on cinematic polish and immersion. RAD is not the same developer that Valve is, they do not have the same experience nor the same background, so I am not saying they are as successful. However, that level of focus, where a game tries to be excellent at a few things rather than good at many aspects, is refreshing and viable as a design philosophy. I don't doubt The Order has its fair share of mistakes, and this sort of design philosophy is much more vulnerable to any mistakes. I just hope that RAD as well as its approach is not written off for future attempts.

    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
    GnomeTankjimb213
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Sounds like a wonderful launch title really. Only a year too late; pretty visuals, heavy cinematic etc.

    Dark Raven XGONG-00
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I think Jeff Gerstmann nailed exactly how I feel about super cinematic games with weak gameplay:
    Not to soapbox too much about this, but games are capable of more than films. As games become more and more visually impressive, chasing after the silver screen feels like a weaker and weaker goal.

    Not everyone feels that way, nor should they, and I hope everyone who buys The Order at full price absolutely loves it. I never wish failure on anything. I just know I'll be waiting for it to hit PS+ or the 10 dollar bargain bin.

    GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    cB557
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    It's entirely possible that's it's also just a bad cinematic experience.

    Shadow DemonBlackbird SR-71C
  • drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    I roll my eyes at brutal letterboxing for "cinematic effect" since it's actually just for oh god we cannot possibly push the full number of pixels on this screen, just make 1/3rd of it black. it'll be fine.

    Eh, I don't know about that. 21:9 is a pretty common ratio for movies these days. And if they wanted to make it cinematic, that's one way of doing it. At least it makes everyone with a 21:9 screen happy. No black bars for them.

    Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    In the wake of overwhelming negativity, here's at least one positive review

    http://canadianonlinegamers.com/review/the-order-1886-review/

    So, yeah. Opinions. I'm still getting my pre-order from Amazon, and I may even like the game. Won't know until I actually play it. But, since I like steampunk and the last couple of games that were steampunk were FPS(which I don't play since I don't enjoy nausea), it will be nice to have a game of the genre to play.

  • BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Bubby wrote: »
    Are Bloodborne and UC4 the only really big guaranteed to be good PS4 exclusives this year?

    Nothing is guaranteed.

    Probably the only universal truth you can count on.

    I will eat a belt if either of those suck. They're as close to sure things as possible as far as I can tell.

  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    If there are two games coming out this year that will almost decidedly not suck, it's Bloodborne and UC4. I mean, nothing is guaranteed, but I look at this years list of "sure things", those two games head the list. New Zelda is up there as well.

    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I think Jeff Gerstmann nailed exactly how I feel about super cinematic games with weak gameplay:
    Not to soapbox too much about this, but games are capable of more than films. As games become more and more visually impressive, chasing after the silver screen feels like a weaker and weaker goal.

    Not everyone feels that way, nor should they, and I hope everyone who buys The Order at full price absolutely loves it. I never wish failure on anything. I just know I'll be waiting for it to hit PS+ or the 10 dollar bargain bin.

    Games can do a lot of things that films can't, and vice versa. That they can be "more" is silly but I do think it is form of art when looking at classics like SH2, HL2, and SotC.

    Bubby on
    Fencingsax
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I disagree. I think by their very nature, games will always be capable of more than movies or books, but games are a much younger medium. We are just now starting to scratch the surface of the emotional power games can convey, and really that's what art is, it's about evoking emotion at it's core. I think anything you interact with is always going to be capable of more emotional evocation than something you statically intake. Do well produced movies and books do a better job of tackling emotion and tough subject matter than games right now? Absolutely. Do I expect that to be the case in 10 or 15 years? No.

    Lets not forget, the height of film making used to be Charlie Chaplin doing silent gag reels. At that time, a lot of people in print said movies would never evoke the kinds of emotions books did. I think that's been proven mighty wrong over the intervening years.

    GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Dragon Age and Skyrim are not purely cinematic experiences, they have incredibly deep game play elements to back their cinematic focus up. The argument isn't that cinematic games are bad, it's that cinematic games that are linear QTE-fests are in fact leaving on the floor what makes video games great. If they wanted to make The Order 1866 The Movie, they should have done that.

    If Dragon Age and Skyrim are your reasons that cinematic games with little to no actual game play are "good for the industry", those are terrible examples as their game play is stupidly deep. A better example would be The Walking Dead, or Tales From the Borderlands, but those games have the advantage of not being full priced experiences. People are perfectly justified in feeling they've gotten half a product when a 60 dollar game is a five hour cinematic QTE and reviewers are 100% justified in calling it like it is.

    Or, for the inverse, look at Portal 2. That is a game with about the same run time, and similar amount of focus on a very specific experience. Portal 2 sacrificed a lot to focus on a puzzle driven game; it was short, the basic elements were more or less the same throughout, and the environment and NPC variety was incredibly limited. However, with its focus on the puzzles, on the quirkiness of the setting and premise, Portal 2 delivers a beautiful experience that most would agree is worth the full price they charged.

    Of course, Portal 2 also has a advantage in that they released the co-op campaign as well for free that had a ton of new content, as well as the Perpetual Testing Initiative for more free content to keep people playing.

    I'd say THAT made it worth it's value.

    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    ShinyRedKnight
  • ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    PMAvers wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Dragon Age and Skyrim are not purely cinematic experiences, they have incredibly deep game play elements to back their cinematic focus up. The argument isn't that cinematic games are bad, it's that cinematic games that are linear QTE-fests are in fact leaving on the floor what makes video games great. If they wanted to make The Order 1866 The Movie, they should have done that.

    If Dragon Age and Skyrim are your reasons that cinematic games with little to no actual game play are "good for the industry", those are terrible examples as their game play is stupidly deep. A better example would be The Walking Dead, or Tales From the Borderlands, but those games have the advantage of not being full priced experiences. People are perfectly justified in feeling they've gotten half a product when a 60 dollar game is a five hour cinematic QTE and reviewers are 100% justified in calling it like it is.

    Or, for the inverse, look at Portal 2. That is a game with about the same run time, and similar amount of focus on a very specific experience. Portal 2 sacrificed a lot to focus on a puzzle driven game; it was short, the basic elements were more or less the same throughout, and the environment and NPC variety was incredibly limited. However, with its focus on the puzzles, on the quirkiness of the setting and premise, Portal 2 delivers a beautiful experience that most would agree is worth the full price they charged.

    Of course, Portal 2 also has a advantage in that they released the co-op campaign as well for free that had a ton of new content, as well as the Perpetual Testing Initiative for more free content to keep people playing.

    I'd say THAT made it worth it's value.

    Yeah, you are right about that.

    I think I'm just outdated lol. I honestly forgot about that as I tend to ignore multiplayer in many games for some reason. I think its just the games I focused on while growing up, and that's what I aim for.

    Either way, I think (hope) it is reasonable to expect a sequel. If RAD doesn't innovate that more... then I'll just be sad. Looking back at Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed, both of those games sort of "let people down", but the sequels certainly changed both of the franchises. Heck, the growth of those games from where they started changed the industry in many ways. Hopefully RAD can do the same for this generation.

    Though I doubt Sony is too worried. Having two exclusives like Bloodborne and Uncharted 4 to begin and end the year with is promising.

    ShinyRedKnight on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
  • BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I disagree. I think by their very nature, games will always be capable of more than movies or books, but games are a much younger medium. We are just now starting to scratch the surface of the emotional power games can convey, and really that's what art is, it's about evoking emotion at it's core. I think anything you interact with is always going to be capable of more emotional evocation than something you statically intake. Do well produced movies and books do a better job of tackling emotion and tough subject matter than games right now? Absolutely. Do I expect that to be the case in 10 or 15 years? No.

    Lets not forget, the height of film making used to be Charlie Chaplin doing silent gag reels. At that time, a lot of people in print said movies would never evoke the kinds of emotions books did. I think that's been proven mighty wrong over the intervening years.

    Yeah, I agree with this. Games have a lot of untapped potential, I think VR and stuff like The Last of Us (from a writing standpoint) are really leading the way into a new age of this stuff. I think we'll eventually get to the point where games diverge into two things: games and experiences. That sounds kind of pretentious but the gap between say, Call of Duty and The Long Dark is already huge. It'll only become bigger as the industry evolves, and I don't see humanity ever getting tired of shooting people in the face.

    Bubby on
    cB557
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Don't forget the many FMV games that littered the mid 90s were casual-friendly experiences and a fad. Watch a ten minute intro video, play a crappy shooting gallery section, watch a five minute video, another shooting gallery, repeat until credits.

  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    A better example would be The Walking Dead, or Tales From the Borderlands, but those games have the advantage of not being full priced experiences.
    And even then, those games involve active player participation via decision making that alters the game's narrative and how the characters interact with you. You don't push a timed button to get the same movie everyone else does like with "cinematic" games where that's all the QTEs are. You push a button to evolve the story, to make it your own. It's a far more powerful experience and elevates Telltale games above being just visual novels with some QTEs to turn the pages.

    wWuzwvJ.png
    cB557
  • darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    Bubby wrote: »
    Bubby wrote: »
    Are Bloodborne and UC4 the only really big guaranteed to be good PS4 exclusives this year?

    Nothing is guaranteed.

    Probably the only universal truth you can count on.

    I will eat a belt if either of those suck. They're as close to sure things as possible as far as I can tell.

    I thought Bloodborne looked good at first, and then I thought it looked like a crappy anime take on western gothic horror with devil may cry gameplay. Was looking forward to The Order more than BB, disappointing to hear how bad the reviews are. Pretty glad at this point that I didn't pre-order it like I had planned to.

    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Madican wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I don't want to seem like I'm defending this game just because everyone else is hating on it, but I just watched the IGN review, and it doesn't seem that bad. I'm actually kind of excited to play it tomorrow.

    The one thing I didn't know about that kind of irks me is the whole letterbox black bar thing. The Evil Within did that and I hated it.

    It seems like a perfectly fine rental. But that's not what the reviews are reviewing. They're reviewing it as a $60 purchase, and as that it appears to fail miserably.

    Not a PS4 owner, but I was hoping for Good Things to be said of this new IP because the world needs more new IPs, especially AAA IPs... but the written reviews seem to be shredding it and not in a "it's trendy to shred" kind of way. Curious to read what it sounds like from the ground.

    Yeah, in this brave new world of fewer and increasingly samey AAA games this is kind of a gutpunch. Length was just the start of the game's issues... looks like I can't even justify the rental.

    Oh, if you're wondering, Kotaku confirmed the fact that the final boss is
    a carbon copy of a werewolf QTE fight you have early in the game.

    You're telling me this is a game involving AU Knights of the Round Table and the final boss isn't Mordred, Arthur, or even Lancelot? Talk about wasting the setting.

    Hell make it a corrupted Galahad with the power of the Holy Grail.

    Yeah they really shit the bed by wasting their setup. I think I'm more pissed about that than anything else

    Edit: shit like this is the part of the argument that Demos need to come back in a big way. But that's not something you're ever going to get from a AAA dev anymore because their entire business model seems to revolve around getting as much money upfront from consumers as possible. Making a good game seems to be 1) secondary and 2) something that happens by accident with them sometimes.

    Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    darklite_x wrote: »
    Bubby wrote: »
    Bubby wrote: »
    Are Bloodborne and UC4 the only really big guaranteed to be good PS4 exclusives this year?

    Nothing is guaranteed.

    Probably the only universal truth you can count on.

    I will eat a belt if either of those suck. They're as close to sure things as possible as far as I can tell.

    I thought Bloodborne looked good at first, and then I thought it looked like a crappy anime take on western gothic horror with devil may cry gameplay. Was looking forward to The Order more than BB, disappointing to hear how bad the reviews are. Pretty glad at this point that I didn't pre-order it like I had planned to.

    o_O

    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    Emperor_Zvagrant_windsDark Raven XFawstjimb213DacFig-DMaddocTychoCelchuuuTransporter
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I'm about 2.5 hours into it. I'm enjoying the game. Of course, my expectations were tempered by the reviews, so I knew what to expect. After waffling back and forth about whether or not to buy it, I decided I was just gonna get it and make my own opinion. So far I have not been disappointed, and I am enjoying it.

    Yes, it has a lot of walking around and the action is broken up with plenty of cutscenes. But I find the cover-based shooting to be enjoyable, and the story has been enjoyable too.

    Please note, however, that this game isn't about werewolves. It's about a rebellion, and as such you spend most of your time fighting rebels. The werewolves seem to be an incidental part of the setting. They are there, and you occasionally encounter them, but that's not what this game is about. It's sort of like The Walking Dead. TWD is not about zombies. Zombies are just a part of the setting. The comic/show/games are about the people, and their relationships and reactions to one another. The Order is very much like TWD in that aspect. It's about the people, not about the monsters.

Sign In or Register to comment.