As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Order 1886: Cinematic dick flopping simulator

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    How much action is there? Is it like 10 minutes of action, then 30 minutes of cutscene/walking around?

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Im a couple hours into the game as well. It's nowhere near as bad as it's being made out to be. Ive had quite a few lengthy gunfights, and not too much in the way of QTEs. My two gripes are the stupid black bars, and the inability to tweak the safe zones for the game on my TV. Some of the text in hint boxes get cut off on the right side of the screen.

Just got the Thermite Rifle, and it's a thing of beauty.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Keeping in mind what I said in my previous post on the last page, about this game being about the people and their relationships and reactions to each other, as well as to the setting, all I can say is...

This game fucking rocks. I don't understand why reviewers have given it such a hard rap. The negativity seems completely unjustified. There is plenty of action. There are plenty of awesome moments. And I have never felt like I was playing an interactive movie. It feels like a video game. It feels like a game that I am enjoying very much.

Lucascraft wrote: »
    Keeping in mind what I said in my previous post on the last page, about this game being about the people and their relationships and reactions to each other, as well as to the setting, all I can say is...

This game fucking rocks. I don't understand why reviewers have given it such a hard rap. The negativity seems completely unjustified. There is plenty of action. There are plenty of awesome moments. And I have never felt like I was playing an interactive movie. It feels like a video game. It feels like a game that I am enjoying very much.

I literally just paused my game to come make this exact post. This is a really solid, really good game. Not sure what kind of drugs these reviewers got together and snorted before doing their reviews, but they're crazy.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    Also @Lucascraft

Do you understand how the L1 bullet time thing works? It seems like I just aim around at random, and then the meter runs out...

I do not understand it entirely, no. You can flick the right stick to re-target things. The meter seems good for about 1 clip of bullets in slow-mo and then you're out.

The thing I don't understand is how to actually aim while using it. When you flick the stick, it just auto-targets random limbs. Why am I wasting time shooting dudes in the legs and arms in bullet time when I could be scoring free head shots?

So in summary... no, I don't get it.

This story is pretty good. Just got to an unexpected twist.

I really hope all the unjustified negativity aimed at this game doesn't hurt sales too much, and kill off the prospect of a cool new franchise. I love alternate history stuff like this.

• Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, regardless of how the game is, the setting seemed cool from everything I've seen.

Besides, gotta love some sorta alternate victorian settings.

Big Classylowlylowlycook
  • AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    darklite_x wrote: »
    Bubby wrote: »
    Bubby wrote: »
    Are Bloodborne and UC4 the only really big guaranteed to be good PS4 exclusives this year?

Nothing is guaranteed.

Probably the only universal truth you can count on.

I will eat a belt if either of those suck. They're as close to sure things as possible as far as I can tell.

I thought Bloodborne looked good at first, and then I thought it looked like a crappy anime take on western gothic horror with devil may cry gameplay. Was looking forward to The Order more than BB, disappointing to hear how bad the reviews are. Pretty glad at this point that I didn't pre-order it like I had planned to.

o_O

The first thing that sprung to mind when I saw the gameplay was "this looks like a vampire hunter D game" from the artstyle. It doesn't actually play that way, and "crappy anime take on western gothic horror" is perhaps a little much, but I can see where he's coming from. Don't agree, but I can see the train of thought.

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Wonder if this was some weird reverse-payola shit re: the reviews.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

FWIW, I got to play a couple hours most of the game yesterday, and I'm not a fan either. The setting is cool, but the werewolves are barely in it, and the combat vs regular guys feels competent but utterly not special. The whole thing is a grey meh experience for me, and given that cinematic experience is the only thing the game has going for it, nah.

Oh brilliant
    Viskod
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular

Someone paid off most of the press to give the game bad reviews?

GethShadowfirecB557
  • SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »

The press demanded payment/access/whatever and didn't get it.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Yeah I seriously doubt that. The Giantbomb quicklook doesn't look too great (although graphics are pretty awesome) and there were a decent number of QTEs in the fairly short period. Definitely seems like a rental based on content in the game and the gunplay didn't seem particularly interesting. Not bad or anything just "why do I care about this?"

Twitch Streaming basically all week
    SniperGuyGaming on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
    akajaybay
    Just beat it. Probably between 10-12 hour playtime for me, which isnt bad. A pretty awesome story IMO, and while it does have a mostly definite ending, there is a setup for a sequel. I understand the disappointment at mostly fighting humans instead of monsters, but at least the gunplay is tight and the weapons are great. Coulda used more science weapons, but the phenomenal shotguns( especially the coachgun) make up for it. All in all, I dug it. Will play again for trophies.

Hahahahaha.

No.

Medium DaveShadowfireBlackbird SR-71Cchiasaur11cB557SyphonBlueKnight_CorpekataBloodsheedcloudeagleakajaybayhanzo
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I understand the disappointment at mostly fighting humans instead of monsters, but at least the gunplay is tight and the weapons are great.

This is my main let down that's keeping me from buying the game, that angle was the most interesting to me and it's also really built up in the trailers that I've seen.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    SyphonBlue
  • BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Redbox apparently still doesn't stock PS4 games in SoCal so I made a 1 month gamefly account. Hopefully they come through and ship it next week.

Bubby on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Redbox is really spotty here, but my work has me driving all over the place so I have a good number that I check. PS4 games are rare, honestly. And they're mostly just NBA whatever.

But if I see this on Redbox, I'm absolutely going to pick it up.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Add my voice to the chorus of "no, this is pretty fucking awesome." In a nutshell it reminds me of that old David Jaffe quote about when he pitched God of War to Sony, and the execs told him he was just ripping off Devil May Cry. "I don't care about originality," he said, "I care about fun. I think we can execute this better than anyone else." The Order is this gen's Heavenly Sword - an incredibly gorgeous, incredibly ambitious first crack at a popular genre by a dev who'd never reached so far before - except I'm enjoying The Order's combat a lot more.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Kinda weird in that the only people in the thread who have actually played it think it's awesome...?

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
    mxmarks
    I beat it in about 10 hours as well. I tried to be very thorough in my exploration and find as many collectibles as I could. I still missed a few, which sucks, but ahh well.

One minor criticism regarding collectibles, they only track one type -- the phonograph recordings -- so there's no way to identify which ones you missed and go back and get them using the chapter select function. Makes chapter select virtually useless since you have no idea what you're looking for.

• Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    Kinda weird in that the only people in the thread who have actually played it think it's awesome...?

Pah, what the hell do they know?

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    Dark Raven X
    Haha... So I just earned the Platinum trophy for this. Super easy Platinum! Only had to replay a few sections.

• Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular

As opposed to the majority of the reviewers, who only looked at the game case before writing the verdict.

Also, Giant Bomb quick looks, LPs on youtube etc. etc.

I've stated my opinion (for the record, I don't think it's a bad game myself).

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I think expectations had cratered so hard by the time "ordinary" people actually got the game in their hands there were bound to be a fair number of "Hey, this is actually sort of alright" reactions.

Dark Raven Xchiasaur11cB557Blackbird SR-71C
    Some of those reviews, man I dont even know. Like, the majority are pretty negative and all that, and maybe the three of us in this thread are easy to please? One review I saw mentioned that The Order was like a lifeless PS2 era game. What does that even mean? This game certainly isn't the best game ever, but it just doesn't make sense to me how overwhelmingly negative the reviews are. It's like I played a totally different game than the reviewers...

Whatevs, I got to play it and I enjoyed it, so I'm happy. Fingers crossed they make another one.

• Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    I'm not really seeing overwhelming negativity, mostly a lot of "games okay, not great, maybe don't spend $60 on it."

SyphonBluecB557Rhan9Shadow Demon
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    For the concept that was pitched to consumers, for it to end up being a by-the-numbers shooting gallery is disappointing for a lot of people.

Like, it's fine that people like that kind of thing, obviously, but it's not weird that there's complaints.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited February 2015

As opposed to the majority of the reviewers, who only looked at the game case before writing the verdict.

It's almost like everyone playing it has differing opinions.

This really does seem like a case of the game just not clicking with the mainstream reviewers. It's not like this board has never had people with loving adoration for a badly reviewed game before.

-Loki- on
  • BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

It's almost like everyone playing it has differing opinions.

I really wish we could get a fucking moratorium on statements like this.

cB557DusdaStormwatcher
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    It's a huge letdown for me because for the setting it has, it had the potential to be more than a mediocre by the numbers shooter.

There should but a huge armory of absolutely crazy insane steampunk weapons and gadgets, more werewolves, big supernatural and steampunk mech bosses and more to the combat.

Bigger areas that offer more approach to combat for one.

SyphonBlue
    edited February 2015
    Viskod wrote: »
    It's a huge letdown for me because for the setting it has, it had the potential to be more than a mediocre by the numbers shooter.

There should but a huge armory of absolutely crazy insane steampunk weapons and gadgets, more werewolves, big supernatural and steampunk mech bosses and more to the combat.

Basically, Ratchet and Clank with more realistic graphics?

reVerse on
    SyphonBlue
  • QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

Basically, Ratchet and Clank with more realistic graphics?

Weirdly enough, the British and the Lombax would rival each other in the ear department.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    I don't think the general consensus in reviews/messageboards is "don't get it".

It's "wait for a sale" or "rent it".

There are plenty of top-tier games that started at 20$ or 35$, but would have gotten lots of flack for a 60$ price point.

And so this game is getting lots of flack.

Blackbird SR-71C
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Haha... So I just earned the Platinum trophy for this. Super easy Platinum! Only had to replay a few sections.

You bought this new yesterday?

• cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Redbox by me got it in, so I picked it up last night out of curiosity. First and foremost, it may be the best looking console game I've ever seen. It's gorgeous. Second, it was marketed wrong. It's very much in the vein of Uncharted and TLoU, being an interactive story. The devs have a story they're telling and you're just along for the ride. It's very scripted and linear. I hated that part of Uncharted and tolerated TLoU because I loved the characters. So far, honestly...I'm enjoying the game a lot. My expectations were very low, obviously, but it's not a bad game to me. It's just not what we were told it was going to be.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I am curious if the PEs will drop in price.

Edit: They are actually available at Amazon and Gamestop now. That is interesting.

Krathoon on
    edited February 2015

Hahahahaha.

No.

Well, gaming "journalism" is certainly a thing to begin with, so who knows? I've certainly seen weirder/worse.

Srs bsns opinions only on these gaming forums; I'll try not to lose too much sleep.

SummaryJudgment on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    My brother has a PS4 and I was interested in trying this out. I offered to split the cost of the game with him, but he declined based on the poor reviews. Methinks they may have botched the marketing and pricing hard on this...