As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Indie Games: They're like video games, but smaller!

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    One of the best parts of YDKJ, is not entering a name, and letting the announcer get mad and pick one for you.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    One of the best parts of YDKJ, is not entering a name, and letting the announcer get mad and pick one for you.

Or typing "Fuck You" as the name, to which they say "Fuck me? No no no, Fuck YOU" and then shuts the game down.

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    The bottom two pieces overlap

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    someone should do some more jackbox forum streams.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »
    someone should do some more jackbox forum streams.

I'd be down to host a night of Ginger and Jack

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Valve has stepped in to authorize refunds for anyone who has purchased, the ostensibly scam in game form, Journey of the Light.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/371440/announcements/

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I mean here's the description on its own sales page:
    Control a Lightball in it´s journey back to home. Solve Riddles&Clues to find the right path. Beware, this game is very hard!

this is real gam pls to buying

Langly on
    the rise of refunds as a tool of the consumer seems like such a complete win, recently, it's changed the landscape of this shit considerably.

• Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Valve has stepped in to authorize refunds for anyone who has purchased, the ostensibly scam in game form, Journey of the Light.

Some investigation of the game files:
    http://imgur.com/a/yceJt

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »

Some investigation of the game files:
    http://imgur.com/a/yceJt

Wow, that's pretty damning. This guy is lowering the bar for Steam scams.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    The idea of "hey there are hints to get the rest of the game on the trading cards" when the trading cards only proc after you can't return the game

God that is just a beautiful representation of adapting to exploit the system, though in this case he very obviously failed

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    The idea of "hey there are hints to get the rest of the game on the trading cards" when the trading cards only proc after you can't return the game

God that is just a beautiful representation of adapting to exploit the system, though in this case he very obviously failed

Yeah, it's actually kind of impressive, in a way.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Obviously this is a bad example

But the idea of a game where the Steam Cards have hints on them is kind of neat

oh man the trading card thing is hilariously evil. I love that steam was like haha no, fuck this, fuck you

This is obviously an extreme outlier of a case, and not a norm.

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Gotta love that the dev tried to play the refunds hurting indie devs card

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? ):<

• PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his Unity Store purchases?

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular

True. In a world where you don't have a physical package where you can stick a codec number that's referred to in-game, something like that is the next best option.

Houk wrote: »

True. In a world where you don't have a physical package where you can stick a codec number that's referred to in-game, something like that is the next best option.

Except that everyone who bought MGS had the box (yes I know some people rented it)

But with Steam trading cards there is no guarantee you'll get the card needed for the hint without having to buy it from the marketplace.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Except that everyone who bought MGS had the box (yes I know some people rented it)

But with Steam trading cards there is no guarantee you'll get the card needed for the hint without having to buy it from the marketplace.

You don't have to own the cards to look at them though. Go to the marketplace and you can inspect em there, without even owning the game

JtgVX0H.png
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »

You don't have to own the cards to look at them though. Go to the marketplace and you can inspect em there, without even owning the game

Yeah I mean, if the designer is aware of how that feature works and incorporates it intelligently, there's no reason it can't function the way they'd like it to.

edited August 2015

This is far from true. You can't blow up/view the whole picture associated with a card in the store. Need to own a card or having completed the set into a badge for that.
    And even you could, if I had to resort to that kind of obscure third-hand source of information to complete a game? Yeah that's a refund.

Panda4You on
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    It'd be cool in the context of like, a puzzle game that was already kind of weird and meta

I mean if I were playing a game like that and I figured out that I could only progress through the trading cards, I would be impressed

Having to like, try and trade my answers with someone else's, maybe some are rarer than others, so people hoard them

It would be interesting, if not necessarily good

• Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    They could also have clues hidden across multiple cards and force the community to do the Fez thing of cooperating to solve puzzles. Like all of the cards when put together form a giant picture clue so everyone has to share screen grabs of their cards to finish the game.

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr

This is far from true. You can't blow up/view the whole picture associated with a card in the store. Need to own a card or having completed the set into a badge for that.
    And even you could, if I had to resort to that kind of obscure third-hand source of information to complete a game? Yeah that's a refund.

It wouldn't necessarily have to be a 'you need this to finish the game' sort of thing. Just doing anything with them beyond being a meaningless collectible could be interesting. I realize that kind of thing isn't for everyone, of course.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    They could also have clues hidden across multiple cards and force the community to do the Fez thing of cooperating to solve puzzles. Like all of the cards when put together form a giant picture clue so everyone has to share screen grabs of their cards to finish the game.

God Fez is so good

JtgVX0H.png
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    was that final puzzle of Fez ever actually solved in a way that wasn't just brute forcing?

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    was that final puzzle of Fez ever actually solved in a way that wasn't just brute forcing?

Nope

Everyone just decided that the point was to crowd source a brute force solution

Whether that's true or not who knows

• SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    how haven't I heard about this game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUbyNJKsi7E

SaraLuna on
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Uh... Monaco was the first great heist game. Well not the first but it was really great.

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Monacowns

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    The Swindle has an amazing soundtrack

not too crazy about the actual game

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    that game looks like it isn't for me, seems pretty cool though

2x39jD4.jpg
    They talked about it on the bombcast, it sounds pretty neat

Gundi wrote: »
    Uh... Monaco was the first great heist game. Well not the first but it was really great.
    First Payday was rad as fuck, if a bit clumsy.

• DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    They talked about it on the bombcast, it sounds pretty neat

Dan seems to have turned pretty hard on it.
    From what he was saying on Twitter, the endgame is fucked.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Invisible Inc is pretty balls awesome.

• ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    how haven't I heard about this game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUbyNJKsi7E

Art for that game provided by the forum's own tripwire (Firman). Although he doesn't post here much anymore, I don't think.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
This discussion has been closed.