As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

King Joffy's all-new Game of Thrones thread.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    I think I might stop keeping up with the show? I mean, depending on how good my willpower is. I kind of want to experience it through gurm's writing first, given how irritated I've been with some of the depictions over the last two seasons. My only concern is that avoiding spoilers would probably suck...

It does, yes.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    I'm going to make it suck.

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    Hey you know what else dragon fire can melt? Snow.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    DodgeBlan wrote: »

all joking aside, that would be a really shitty thing to do!

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular

Just like the sound of Loras going down on Renly

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Isn't it a bit early for doom and gloom about WoW never coming out? Now the last book, sure that's probably never happening sadly.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I'm believing that WoW will come out in my lifetime.
    I don't hold out hope that it will be released before the end of the show.
    I have very little faith in a dream of spring coming out, unless Martin is writing them both at the same time?

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »
    The show has deviated enough from the book that they can be treated as separate entities. Martin has long said that he doesn't let the show influence the book.

This really is an unprecedented situation, though. Like, has there ever been a parallel medium which outpaced the original source material to its intended conclusion?

ANIME

IT HAPPENS IN ANIME

LET ME TALK TO YOU

ABOUT ANIME

What happens is they invent ridiculous filler episodes where everyone goes to a hot spring and spends a lot of the time mostly naked.

Or they just throw their hands up and warp people to WW2 London (still bitter)

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    This also means in like 2020, they'll start filming Game of Thrones: The Final Act

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2015
    No anime

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    Thorn413Thorn413 Registered User regular
    If you are thinking about not watching the show until the books come out I would strongly advise against it. As much as people love to complain about the way book readers enjoy hinting at earlier events, it pales in comparison to how prevalent the spoilers get when something occurs on the show. Remember how crazy things got after The Red Wedding episode aired? One would have to avoid any entertainment site that has a chance of touching on GoT, and even if one is particularly vigilant they need to be careful about other TV shows that randomly have jokes about GoT spoilers.

I mean it is possible that you could avoid spoilers, but I think it's very likely that you will accidentally stumble across them at some point.

• Options
    Thorn413 wrote: »
    If you are thinking about not watching the show until the books come out I would strongly advise against it. As much as people love to complain about the way book readers enjoy hinting at earlier events, it pales in comparison to how prevalent the spoilers get when something occurs on the show. Remember how crazy things got after The Red Wedding episode aired? One would have to avoid any entertainment site that has a chance of touching on GoT, and even if one is particularly vigilant they need to be careful about other TV shows that randomly have jokes about GoT spoilers.

I mean it is possible that you could avoid spoilers, but I think it's very likely that you will accidentally stumble across them at some point.

Not to mention people will reference significant events in completely unrelated discussions. Talk of 'the red wedding' wasn't just confined to GoT discussions, it was used everywhere. You'll also be able to piece together the plot-points from multiple people mentioning different aspects of the same spoiler, whether you want to or not.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular

all joking aside, that would be a really shitty thing to do!

it is too late to repent

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I've been a snob about book spoilers to people who only watched the show for so long

Now if my book-reading friends stop watching the show to wait on the books I can be a snob to them about show spoilers too!

It's delicious

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    here's a screen cap from the upcoming season
    wohwjc16gv98qpuyo5yla_560x0.png

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    that was last seasons beach episode, god jars!

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Hermano wrote: »
    He's probably never finishing the books though, so I doubt it's worth waiting
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Isn't it a bit early for doom and gloom about WoW never coming out? Now the last book, sure that's probably never happening sadly.

Can we stop doing this?

Making jokes/grim forecasts about how GRRM won't finish the series hasn't gotten any less ghoulish since it started.

If anything, it's gotten worse.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    I don't think it's necessarily ghoulish. The dudes pretty old and he has a history of being incredibly slow.

It's that far of a reach to say he may not finish the last book

• Options
    That being said, I have a personal rule to not say things about people I wouldn't say to their face.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    He's 66. I think he can pump out books 6 and 7 in 10 years, considering he's already hard at work on 6.

• Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    I'll just treat the show as very informed fanfiction and consider all spoilers as something that might or might not happen in the books.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    "He'll never finish" is less a ghoulish sentiment about GRRM and more a bitter memory of WoT

I wouldn't read too much into it, mang

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    The show has deviated enough from the book that they can be treated as separate entities. Martin has long said that he doesn't let the show influence the book.

This really is an unprecedented situation, though. Like, has there ever been a parallel medium which outpaced the original source material to its intended conclusion?

ANIME

IT HAPPENS IN ANIME

LET ME TALK TO YOU

ABOUT ANIME

I'm only familiar with the ones that either treated the manga and anime separately, or had tons of filler (NARUTO WORST OFFENDER). I didn't know they had anime that actually just kept going on with the "source" story once they caught up to the manga.

• Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Full Metal Alchemist (the first series) did that. They caught up to Manga pretty quickly and then wrote their own ending to the series. When the Manga actually finished they made Brotherhood which used the canon ending

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    I think Soul Eater did the same. That shows ending was atrocious

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    So in both of those cases, did they use the "canonical" ending, or did they just go ahead and make whatever they wanted? And did the anime end up differing significantly from the final manga?

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    completely new ending

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    So how about those lannisters and starks eh?

• Options
    Lannisters rule. Starks drool.

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    debts paid versus debts not paid?

debts paid trending strong.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Snowbear wrote: »
    Full Metal Alchemist (the first series) did that. They caught up to Manga pretty quickly and then wrote their own ending to the series. When the Manga actually finished they made Brotherhood which used the canon ending

From some of the changes I've seen here, that could well end up happening anyway.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Snowbear wrote: »
    I think Soul Eater did the same. That shows ending was atrocious

Nah, Soul Eater didn't do it. Wish they would though.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I would like to note that "death" is not the only reason a person fails to finish a series of novels, LORD KNOWS death is not the only route to that place

• Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    I think the fear of him not finishing is more a function of his pace of completion to date....it's not really ghoulish to consider when the way he is going pace wise we could see ten year gaps in publishing and although he claims there are not that many books left the end is nowhere in sight. What is ghoulish is to act like him finishing is more important than the mans life.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I read some faux scientific analysis of GRRM's pace and the article estimates that by now he has 1000 manuscript pages and the book should be done by late 2016 and published by early 2017. I'd take that.

Goose! on
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    I would like to note that "death" is not the only reason a person fails to finish a series of novels, LORD KNOWS death is not the only route to that place
    In a way, isn't death eventually the only reason?

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I dunno if some dude gives up on writing a series of books and gets hit by a bus twenty years later and then gets asked about it in Mictlan and tries to go "Oh I didn't finish it because I got hit by a bus" I think that'd be a cop out, don't go blaming death

• Options
    But where there's life there's hope.

• Options
    Maybe a little ghoulish? But it's a joke/reference.
    The answer is to stick GRRM's living corpse on a throne and keep him alive with the human sacrifice of thousands each day.

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Wasn't speculating on his death or making a ghoulish joke(???)

Dude's reached retirement age, made a lot of money, maybe he wants to spend his time doing and writing other things? It's taking him 5+ years to write these books, can't begrudge him if he's not into it anymore given now difficult it is

Obviously I hope they come out I'm just not expecting it

PSN- AHermano
This discussion has been closed.