Options

King Joffy's all-new Game of Thrones thread.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    As much as I like this show I feel like it's getting dragged out and there is too much going on.

I just don't give a fuck about who is going to rule the Greyjoys!

That wasn't really the big takeaway from the Kingsmoot though.
    The Ironborn are going to go get Dany and give her ships.

I know! But the whole scene could have been shorter so they can spend more time on the characters I do care about.

• Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    Maybe Arya screws up her training and has to run to avoid being killed? And I imagine they will try to hunt her down, which is when she'll fight the Waif. She'll kill her and then have to fight Jaquen close to the end of the series.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    As much as I like this show I feel like it's getting dragged out and there is too much going on.

I know! But the whole scene could have been shorter so they can spend more time on the characters I do care about.

If anything, the scene with Arya watching the play went on way longer than it needed to

• Options
    Marathon wrote: »

If anything, the scene with Arya watching the play went on way longer than it needed to

The Ember Island Players was one of the best parts of the episode I thought

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

I want to say it was supposed to be a stealth recap for the audience as well, but yeah it was a bit long.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    I thought it was good but,
    it also told a story we already know, I thought it was a good scene because it showed the kind of think Arya can't care about anymore of she actually wants to become "no one" but I also think it went on longer than it needed to

• Options
    I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    But if Arya leaves the Faceless Men, wouldn't they hunt her down until they kill her? She might want to learn how to be a cool assassin and then bounce, but she has to know that it wouldn't go over well.

The entire thing I've been waiting for with Arya and the Faceless Men that I'm assuming at this point won't happen is
    That it turns out Arya can warg too, and instead of becoming "No One" it's revealed that she can sort of become anyone by warging and the Faceless Men lose their shit over this

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular

I loved that scene

• Options
    I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    it also told a story we already know, I thought it was a good scene because it showed the kind of think Arya can't care about anymore of she actually wants to become "no one" but I also think it went on longer than it needed to

The thing I found interesting about that scene was
    Arya is clearly upset from seeing this depiction of her family, and we're supposed to the sense that her feelings of revenge and hatred are coming back. But instead, we see her staking out her target, and her comments to Jaquen aren't about her emotions over the loss of her family, but rather a doubtful assessment of the "badness" of this actress she's supposed to kill.

I really hope this was intentional, because if it was it's a very important moment for Arya, becuase it's showing her conflict with the Faceless Men isn't about selfishness, but empathy. There's a significance in Arya going from really wanting to kill certain people to just not wanting to kill people.

• Options
    "I'm not the Lord Command... Yeah, close the bloody gate."

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

Arya is clearly upset from seeing this depiction of her family, and we're supposed to the sense that her feelings of revenge and hatred are coming back. But instead, we see her staking out her target, and her comments to Jaquen aren't about her emotions over the loss of her family, but rather a doubtful assessment of the "badness" of this actress she's supposed to kill.

I really hope this was intentional, because if it was it's a very important moment for Arya, becuase it's showing her conflict with the Faceless Men isn't about selfishness, but empathy. There's a significance in Arya going from really wanting to kill certain people to just not wanting to kill people.
    If she said anything about her past to sexy jesus she'd be in deep shit. She's supposed to be A Girl, not Arya Stark. A Girl can still have reservations about her task, to an extent.

Obviously she is still conflicted but is playing the part for now.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016

I loved that scene

It was a great illustration of history being written by the victors as well.
    I was wondering if it wasn't actually a propaganda tour commissioned by Cersei, especially given the swing towards Tyrion being the worst.

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    "I'm not the Lord Command... Yeah, close the bloody gate."

I really wanted Ed to say "I'm not the Lord Command... Aw, shit".
    If the White Walkers ever manage to knock down the wall, there's gonna be opportunities for some PRIME Ed/Jon banter and quotes.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    The play scene ruled and hasn't gotten enough love

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    "Hold the door" references heard so far at work: 4
    People still in tears: 3

Gonna be a long day.

• Options
    The play scene ruled and hasn't gotten enough love

I believe the random boobs at the end were the writers intentionally acknowledging all of the random boobs in the show.

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    The show in general seemed willing to have more fun with itself this episode. Like Brienne's crack about how broody Jon is. That may have been intentional mood-lightening before the ending, though. I remember the Red Wedding ep also being pretty funny, before all of the murder started.

• Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    Regarding play scene:
    I really want to go through the scene again. I wonder how much of the play serves to inform Arya of events she didn't know about. I know she was there to witness Ned's beheading, but I'm not sure how much the Hound brought her up to speed with other events. Does she know that some of the play's plot points aren't entirely truth? Maybe its foreshadowing some future motivations for Arya now that she has some additional (questionably accurate?) info about her family?

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    I mean, presumably she knows Tyrion wasn't there. I'd think the Tyrion/Sansa nuptials might be the only new info for her, but like you said Sandor may have briefed her on that.

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Has anyone made up a "Game of Thrones Origins: Hodor" poster yet?

Also at this point I kinda feel like the writers are just messing with the titties and ass crowd by having tits followed by WARTY DICK CLOSE-UP then some more tits.

The Kingsmoot scene felt kinda way too small to me. I know it's a TV budget but it kinda feels like they were electing the king of 25 bearded dudes and altogether there's enough to man like one ship. That's really gonna impress Dany.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    This continues to be my everything:

sig.gif
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Has anyone made up a "Game of Thrones Origins: Hodor" poster yet?

Also at this point I kinda feel like the writers are just messing with the titties and ass crowd by having tits followed by WARTY DICK CLOSE-UP then some more tits.

The Kingsmoot scene felt kinda way too small to me. I know it's a TV budget but it kinda feels like they were electing the king of 25 bearded dudes and altogether there's enough to man like one ship. That's really gonna impress Dany.
    I thought it was a really funny between the Kingsmoot being a tiny pack of dudes and then Meera leaving with what looked like fifty fucking ships.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular

Try reading a book and a half for that one ten minute scene...

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular

That was also not recap for Arya. That was fresh news post Ned chopped head...

• Options

Try reading a book and a half for that one ten minute scene...

I did...

• Options
    Oh shit. With the darkness and chaos of the scene and fact that I had to pause it to take care of a tiny crying baby I totally missed the fact that Hodor died. :(

sig.gif
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I wish they'd spent more than 20 seconds on the revelation that
    the Children of the Forest created the White Walkers

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I wish they'd spent more than 20 seconds on the revelation that
    the Children of the Forest created the White Walkers

Yeah!
    As I was watching it that was my big WAIT WHAT? moment

and my girlfriend who's not familiar with the series thought I reacted because there was magic and she said "wait this is fantasy?"

sig.gif
  • Options
    I was kind of meh on Theon being around for the Kingsmoot but they turned it around really nice. Him putting his chip in for his sister was a really sweet moment. It feels like families are reunited and starting to stick more together this season and I love it.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Oh shit. With the darkness and chaos of the scene and fact that I had to pause it to take care of a tiny crying baby I totally missed the fact that Hodor died. :(

Did we actually see that though?

• Options

I just read a review that definitely read it that way and assumed I'd missed something?

I guess we'll know for sure next week.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I started laughing really hard when I realized where the ending was going.

I may be a horrible person.

I just picture GRRM smoking a pipe with a little grin on his face. "See how all you fuckers like how this one turns out!", while giving us the finger.

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    The house of black and white storyline is really awesome to me
    But maybe that's just because I find the tension between aryas sense of self and desire for revenge really compelling.

I always thought this was going in some sort of direction where Arya would be able to reconcile being 'a girl' but still get her revenge. Like she can never return to her life but she gets the kills somehow.

But that's probably not where it's going after this episode, as the faceless men seem to be becoming more and more antagonistic to her.

Also I dont think the fact that she shows reservation means she's completely doomed to never be a faceless man.

The waif clearly let's her own dislike for Arya get in the way of things.

And jaqqen has clearly let his affection for Arya get in the way of what should be a pretty clear cut failure

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    There's like 4 different ways to become a zombie in Game of Thrones, jeez

There's Ice Zombies, there's Rock Zombies, when will we get the inevitable Robb Zombies

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    The house of black and white storyline is really awesome to me
    But maybe that's just because I find the tension between aryas sense of self and desire for revenge really compelling.

I always thought this was going in some sort of direction where Arya would be able to reconcile being 'a girl' but still get her revenge. Like she can never return to her life but she gets the kills somehow.

But that's probably not where it's going after this episode, as the faceless men seem to be becoming more and more antagonistic to her.

Also I dont think the fact that she shows reservation means she's completely doomed to never be a faceless man.

The waif clearly let's her own dislike for Arya get in the way of things.

And jaqqen has clearly let his affection for Arya get in the way of what should be a pretty clear cut failure

Yeah
    I enjoy the conflict that she's clearly got going on, that her chosen vector for being able to earn revenge is also the thing that's standing in her way. That to learn the skills she needs to kill the people shw wants, she has to let go of that need to kill them, and let go of her self entirely. I felt that the play was fascinating in that regard, that it wasn't just her remembering what happened, but it was an older Arya watching, and reliving the event, through this corrupted, insulting version of events. It was obviously painful to her to have it all brought up like that, watching as people laughed at this bumbling clown depicting your beloved father, while the monster responsible for his execution is shown as a handsome hero. Like, that's the point of that scene, to make you try to figure out what must be going through her head at seeing this.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Man, the
    kings moot was so damn stupid.

It had none of the shit from the books that at least justified spending time on those forsaken salt fuckers. Just Asha Yara making the first claim then Euron Crow-eye countering her rather feeble claim by making eunuch jokes at ReekTheonReek Theon.

No big display of wealth, no big speech about making peace and how stupid Balon's war was. And no dragon horn.

Really, both The Iron Islands and Dorne, which were never my favorite parts of story to being with, have been really stupid on the show without all the actual...plot that is supposed to happen. Dorne they are just making shit up as they go, while Iron Islands they ignore and/or don't give a shit about.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    So is Dorne just forgotten about or what.

• Options

I just read a review that definitely read it that way and assumed I'd missed something?

Yeah, i don't they actually showed it.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular

Yeah, i don't they actually showed it.
    I don't recall seeing a mangled corpse of Hodor, but I think that, like with Stannis, they really did show enough to give you the point. It would be rather silly if, after that, a discussion ensued about how he must be alive.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    So is Dorne just forgotten about or what.

I hope so! If I never see any of those characters again I'll be perfectly happy.

This discussion has been closed.