[Better Call Saul] S'All Good Man

2456740

Posts

  • AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Is Reverse Magneto an act though? He said only certain electric fields burn him, so maybe the bed has not set its phasers to kill.

    On the other hand. He might have hidden something in his house electricity may not be near. Might even be something he had to cover up for the firm, but what could it be? Something drug related? Is it in the gas cannisters he keeps?

    Alphagaia on
    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

    Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

    See my profile here!
  • reVersereVerse Registered User regular
    He's mentally ill.

    amnesiasoftUnluckyDevoutlyApatheticGnizmoRandomHajileGONG-00Uncle PKAl_watjakobaggerMegaMekAbsoluteZeroFoolOnTheHilloverride367DasUberEdwardHakkekageComradebotBloodySlothQuicalDiannaoChongKaplarSealtynicWraith260HappylilElfTurkeyKetBra
  • AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    He's mentally ill.

    Could be as simple as that. Could also have a deeper plotpoint. We will have to wait and see why the story needed a brother with such a specific (mentall) illness.

    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

    Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

    See my profile here!
  • amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    Alphagaia wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »
    He's mentally ill.

    Could be as simple as that. Could also have a deeper plotpoint. We will have to wait and see why the story needed a brother with such a specific (mentall) illness.
    To help make us more sympathetic to Jimmy's desire for money and give him a motivation outside of "LOADSAMONEY?" The same way Walt's cancer was about giving him a reason to go all Heisenberg.

    steam_sig.png
  • AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Alphagaia wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »
    He's mentally ill.

    Could be as simple as that. Could also have a deeper plotpoint. We will have to wait and see why the story needed a brother with such a specific (mentall) illness.
    To help make us more sympathetic to Jimmy's desire for money and give him a motivation outside of "LOADSAMONEY?" The same way Walt's cancer was about giving him a reason to go all Heisenberg.

    My take on it feels like his brother tries to protect Jimmy from becoming an evil lawyer while he, the brother, in fact might be one and is covering up (a mistake from the firm). It's probably what's gonna turn Jimmy over to the dark side when he realises this.
    Fake mentall illness or not. Something is fishy.

    Alphagaia on
    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

    Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

    See my profile here!
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Idiopathic doesn't mean fake, dude. He feels the pain. We saw shots from his point of view, where opening the door flooded the room with light, the buzzing, all that was meant to convey that going outside genuinely fucking hurt him.

    The point of the doctor switching on the bed as a little placebo test wasn't to show that Chuck is faking his illness, just that the source of his pain isn't legit. It's a mental problem, but it's a real one.

    Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
    RandomHajileDevoutlyApatheticRhalloTonnyamnesiasoftAl_watjakobaggerLaCabraautono-wally, erotibot300MegaMekOneAngryPossumAbsoluteZeroFoolOnTheHilloverride367HakkekageBloodySlothQuicalKaplartynicAtaxrxesWraith260Turkey
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    Alphagaia wrote: »
    Alphagaia wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »
    He's mentally ill.

    Could be as simple as that. Could also have a deeper plotpoint. We will have to wait and see why the story needed a brother with such a specific (mentall) illness.
    To help make us more sympathetic to Jimmy's desire for money and give him a motivation outside of "LOADSAMONEY?" The same way Walt's cancer was about giving him a reason to go all Heisenberg.

    My take on it feels like his brother tries to protect Jimmy from becoming an evil lawyer while he, the brother, in fact might be one and is covering up (a mistake from the firm). It's probably what's gonna turn Jimmy over to the dark side when he realises this.
    Fake mentall illness or not. Something is fishy.

    The symptoms he experiences are psychosomatic, but that doesn't make them less real to him. As with documented cases where individuals have claimed hypersensitivity to electromagnetic fields, he appears totally incapable of actually detecting these fields and his symptoms subside or do not surface at all if he is unaware of their presence. Which powerfully debunks the notion that this is a real physical condition. But he feels actual pain and discomfort when made aware of, or when he suspects the presence of a device like a cellular phone in his vicinity.

    Maybe we'll see a flashback that hints at how this was all triggered. Say, an episode of heart palpitations or a petit mal seizure from being overworked at the office, relief for a time during an escapist outing to a cabin, and an intelligent, pattern-seeking mind drawing the wrong conclusion. Namely, that something in the environment was responsible, rather than the pace he was attempting to keep up between his IMM clients and getting/keeping Jimmy out of trouble.

    What ultimately draws, I won't say pushes, Jimmy over the line will likely be the realization that he's been a confidence man so long that he only knows how to be convincing when he's working an angle. He's totally incapable of selling Jimmy McGill as a brand, as legitimate legal representation, because he's never convinced himself. In contrast, he can commit to any story, any lie he has to sell. Enter Saul Goodman, stage left, who will later tell Walter White he once convinced a woman he was Kevin Costner. "It worked, because I believed it!"

    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
    PSN: ZokuGojira
  • AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Idiopathic doesn't mean fake, dude. He feels the pain. We saw shots from his point of view, where opening the door flooded the room with light, the buzzing, all that was meant to convey that going outside genuinely fucking hurt him.

    The point of the doctor switching on the bed as a little placebo test wasn't to show that Chuck is faking his illness, just that the source of his pain isn't legit. It's a mental problem, but it's a real one.

    To be a bit more clear, I am not putting all my eggs in one basket. The other theories so far could be just as true. Edit: I'm dutch btw, so I learned a new English word today: Ideopathic!
    The fact we see him having pains could be because someone might be watching him as he goes outside. The show decides to show this with saturations and high pitch noises, but (and yes that might be a stretch) but it could be part of the act to fool us, the audience. It probably means I'm wrong though.

    Alphagaia on
    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

    Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

    See my profile here!
  • RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Alphagaia wrote: »
    Idiopathic doesn't mean fake, dude. He feels the pain. We saw shots from his point of view, where opening the door flooded the room with light, the buzzing, all that was meant to convey that going outside genuinely fucking hurt him.

    The point of the doctor switching on the bed as a little placebo test wasn't to show that Chuck is faking his illness, just that the source of his pain isn't legit. It's a mental problem, but it's a real one.
    The fact we see him having pains could be because someone might be watching him as he goes outside.
    Someone with superpowers to cause him pain? I'm confused.

  • AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Alphagaia wrote: »
    Idiopathic doesn't mean fake, dude. He feels the pain. We saw shots from his point of view, where opening the door flooded the room with light, the buzzing, all that was meant to convey that going outside genuinely fucking hurt him.

    The point of the doctor switching on the bed as a little placebo test wasn't to show that Chuck is faking his illness, just that the source of his pain isn't legit. It's a mental problem, but it's a real one.
    The fact we see him having pains could be because someone might be watching him as he goes outside.
    Someone with superpowers to cause him pain? I'm confused.

    I'll try to rephrase my broken English: I meant he is making it look like he has pain, as someone might see him being outside. Like his neighbour whose newspaper he stole. To preserve his act he has a condition. Again, a very big stretch.

    Alphagaia on
    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

    Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

    See my profile here!
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I don't think the show would portray an act in such a personal way, because that's basically lying to the audience.

    My take is that they chose something like "electricity allergies" because it's wacky enough to sound crazy, but with just enough plausibility such that you never really know. It makes scenes like this week's hospital debate possible.

    Maddie: "I named my feet. The left one is flip and the right one is flop. Oh, and also I named my flip-flops."

    I make tweet.
    RandomHajileRhalloTonnyDark Raven XjakobaggerOneAngryPossumQuicaltynicTurkey
  • JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Electromagnetic hypersensitivity is also one of those diseases that homeopathic and other bullshit alternative medicines latch onto because of its nature.

    I'm expecting that Jimmy will have to deal with such scams in the near future.

    Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I don't think the show would portray an act in such a personal way, because that's basically lying to the audience.

    My take is that they chose something like "electricity allergies" because it's wacky enough to sound crazy, but with just enough plausibility such that you never really know. It makes scenes like this week's hospital debate possible.

    I agree. Still, that firm is hiding something, and Jimmies brother and his condition are probably at the core of this conspiracy. /mulder

    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

    Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

    See my profile here!
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    My take is that the motivation is simply "We don't want to cash you out because we are greedy assholes and like holding your money for you."

    Though if there's something deeper, that could be interesting.

    Maddie: "I named my feet. The left one is flip and the right one is flop. Oh, and also I named my flip-flops."

    I make tweet.
    Al_wattynic
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    My take is that the motivation is simply "We don't want to cash you out because we are greedy assholes and like holding your money for you."

    Though if there's something deeper, that could be interesting.

    Keep in mind in small partnerships it's not like that cash is sitting in a drawer somewhere. All the other partners basically have to come up with the cash so that the share this other guy owned is now owned by the remaining partners. For a successful law firm that could be a big piece of cash. It's not like a law firm can sell off some law books or first years to raise that money either, it's gonna come right out of the other partner's personal cash or they'll have to take on a new partner who will come up with the large amount of cash to buy retiring guy's share.

  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Maybe. But they haven't played it as "we'd really love to pay you out, but it's going to be hard coming up with the money." They've made the guys look like giant assholes who insist that the guy hiding in a dark house wrapped in a foil blanket is totally fine and will be coming back any day now.

    Maddie: "I named my feet. The left one is flip and the right one is flop. Oh, and also I named my flip-flops."

    I make tweet.
    MegaMekgjaustinjakobaggeroverride367Turkey
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Maybe. But they haven't played it as "we'd really love to pay you out, but it's going to be hard coming up with the money." They've made the guys look like giant assholes who insist that the guy hiding in a dark house wrapped in a foil blanket is totally fine and will be coming back any day now.

    Haven't they said that if they had to pay out Jimmy's brother, they'd probably have to close the firm? I thought it was Michael McKeans objection to doing so (thinking of his clients)

    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    They might have said that. But given how generally skeevy they've come off, it probably felt like more bullshit.

    It's mostly that they are trying to sound like they care about McKean and are acting as such, when they pretty obviously don't. Fakeness is off-putting.

    Maddie: "I named my feet. The left one is flip and the right one is flop. Oh, and also I named my flip-flops."

    I make tweet.
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    This show is sofa king awesome.

    "In case you missed it they think you killed two cops"

    *while reading it in the notebook* "yup"

    Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Damn...

    Future Employee of Planetary Acquisitions, Inc.
    Pax Arcadia(PC) Division Agent
    xu257gunns6e.png

  • Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Jonathan fucking Banks, everyone.

  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Wow. So, there goes that Emmy.

    No I don't.
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Wow. So, there goes that Emmy.

    You say that, but Banks didn't win for his last season on BB, Amy Poehler never won for Leslie Knope and Nick Offerman has never been nominated for Ron Swanson.

    The Emmys are dumb.

    EDIT: I mean, Jeff Daniels won!

    enlightenedbum on
    Herbert Hoover got 40% of the vote in 1932. Friendly reminder.
    Warren 2020
    Turkey
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    It's all good man.

    No I don't.
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Wow. So, there goes that Emmy.

    That's exactly what I thought that entire scene. The man is a phenom.

    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    As for the content of that episode: basically felt like an episode of Breaking Bad more than the episodes that focus on Jimmy. Only the central anti-hero is waaaaaaay more likable than Walter ever was.

    Herbert Hoover got 40% of the vote in 1932. Friendly reminder.
    Warren 2020
    DevoutlyApatheticgjaustinRhalloTonnyBaron DirigibletynicRBachTurkey
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Wow.

    That episode.

    This show definitely has the potential to reach Breaking Bad's level.

    EH28YFo.jpg
  • BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Wow. So, there goes that Emmy.

    That's exactly what I thought that entire scene. The man is a phenom.

    Phenom is right. 2015 is young and there's a lot of great shows coming up, but I don't see any supporting part topping that performance.

    Bubby on
  • reVersereVerse Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Maybe. But they haven't played it as "we'd really love to pay you out, but it's going to be hard coming up with the money." They've made the guys look like giant assholes who insist that the guy hiding in a dark house wrapped in a foil blanket is totally fine and will be coming back any day now.

    Haven't they said that if they had to pay out Jimmy's brother, they'd probably have to close the firm? I thought it was Michael McKeans objection to doing so (thinking of his clients)

    It was in fact Chucky who said that in the first or second episode. Jimmy is the one trying to convince him to cash out, but Chucky won't do it because it would damage the firm, the people working there, and their clients. The firm did offer to keep paying Chucky weekly/monthly or whatever (it was the check for $20,000[?] that Jimmy tore up) until he's ready to return to his work.

  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    In a show with a legit genius able to do stuff like wreck an evidence room with a magnet, Mike kinda gets overshadowed. But his lil' improvisations, like the metallic balloons into the power line, or in this ep the string trick to unlock the car are so much fun. I love his tricks. <3
    This ep had a few neat shoutouts to BrBa too. "they got tarantulas in ABQ!" "huh! I will be on the lookout!" and he finally does spot one... after Hitler Youth murdered that kid. >:I

    Cynical part of me wonders if they were throwing in nostalgia tweaks like that so people would like it as a BrBa prequel, and this ep is the closest one to it so far, but honestly, felt more like an excuse to put Jonathan Banks center stage. And I'm grateful for it! He kills it.

    Oh brilliant
  • JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    Did the overhead shot of Jimmy pouring sugar into the coffee strike anyone else as a callback to the same shot in felina?

  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I'm not gonna lie I teared up a little during Mike's monologue last night. I was soooo close to full on bawling. What a performance that was.It came from outta nowhere and it felt like I was being allowed to view something special that doesn't happen often.It was the same feeling I felt when I watched the garage door sceen in BrBa for the first time.

    Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    Dark Raven XAl_watJohnny ChopsockyGONG-00Vahraan
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Yeah that was an amazing episode

    Handsome CostanzaJohnny ChopsockyJayrichoUnluckyHakkekage
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I'm really digging The Mike Show with special guest Jimmy McGill.

    FoolOnTheHillElJeffeHarry DresdenZoku GojiraRBach
  • Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Paranoiac Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    That ending was brutal.

  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    the latest, Five-O, is fantastic episode. I was a little surprised at the end when
    Mike left the question, 'can you live with it' on the table without a little background. Like, 'I confronted them about it, because I had to know for sure. When they tried to take me out, I knew. And you know what happened next. Can you live with that?'

    But I guess it made for a punchier ending this way. And like the man said, Mike is a bit taciturn. "Shall I fan you gently, so you don't go into shock?" Biggest laugh from a Saul line in some time.

    Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
    PSN: ZokuGojira
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Alphagaia wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »
    He's mentally ill.

    Could be as simple as that. Could also have a deeper plotpoint. We will have to wait and see why the story needed a brother with such a specific (mentall) illness.

    Because that was a time period where that was the new yuppie disease. If it took place now'ish, it would be over gluten*. 5 years ago, peanuts.* There's tons of news stories from that period about people suing local governments trying to get them to ban wifi in the city and the like. It's real to those "affected" and psychosomatic sadly. This is just something to focus the time period, like everyone doing cocaine in the 80's.

    *conditions exist that make you susceptible to these items, something like 99.9% of people who claim to be effected are not however.
    The guy is loaded, he could afford to have a house call help come, and the doctor should have demanded that and wouldn't have tried to commit knowing his reaction based on his current state. The tanks of gas everywhere was dangerous, I assumed they were spent, but otherwise he isn't really a danger to himself/others.

    steam_sig.png
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    the latest, Five-O, is fantastic episode. I was a little surprised at the end when
    Mike left the question, 'can you live with it' on the table without a little background. Like, 'I confronted them about it, because I had to know for sure. When they tried to take me out, I knew. And you know what happened next. Can you live with that?'

    But I guess it made for a punchier ending this way. And like the man said, Mike is a bit taciturn. "Shall I fan you gently, so you don't go into shock?" Biggest laugh from a Saul line in some time.

    I just watched five-o.


    That was the best acting I've ever seen. Movie or TV or Play.

  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    It's kind of remarkable that in a season that opens with Tuco he is not the dumbest, craziest, or most ruthless criminal involved.

    Herbert Hoover got 40% of the vote in 1932. Friendly reminder.
    Warren 2020
    AbsoluteZeroJohnny Chopsocky
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Why is it the best characters on TV are always secondary ones like Mike?

    that's it, I'm shutting this entire forum down, everyone thank buttcleft
Sign In or Register to comment.