As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Better Call Saul] S'All Good Man

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    That was
    a harrowing start to Saul Goodman being a friend to the cartel, holy shit. This made his previous Salamanca based bind out in the desert seem downright lovely by comparison, and that was with Tuco.

The scene where things went real bad did a good job of showing just how green Jimmy still is at this point. He wasn't truly living in the criminal world yet so much as he was a sort of tourist, seeing the darker elements on a more superficial level.

Nice bit with the ghost of Chuck making an appearance at Jimmy's lowest point when Mike threw on the "space blanket" to keep warm. And in terms of badass Mike moments across both shows, that stand off has to be top 5 (probably 3). I figured the cousins were the ones dishing out all that carnage at first.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I was surprised to see my hometown represented in the opening scene. Didn't even notice the company name at first, I was so taken aback -- Hi-Shear, the company on the padlock, is a real company from Torrance, where I was raised.

#hometown represent

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Okay, I can believe
    Jimmy driving his beater-ass car that barely starts on a good day out into the desert with only his David & Main thermos like he’s just driving across town. He probably talked himself into this being “no big deal” to the extent that I can see him being that stupid.

But Mike going out there with his rifle, his thermal blankets, his boonie hat (aka the best hat known to man), and then only bringing, apparently, a single canteen, may be his biggest slip-up since/until/whatever the one zip tie incident. Even if he brought more water along, and the containers all got shot, they’d only empty down to the spot where they took a bullet. And if my man doesn’t have some duct tape with him, what is he even doing?

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Welp.
    Lalo knows Kim's face. That's not good.

Very stupid move, yep.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Better Call Saul and The Boring Old Man Show finally converge

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Question about the car
    Why did Mike take the fuel cap? It's that a reference to earlier when there was a tracking beacon in Mike's car's cap (which, if Mike put it there, would explain how he knew that Saul was there), or is there a way to identify a car by its fuel cap and so he took it for the same reason that he took the licence plate?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Question about the car
    Why did Mike take the fuel cap? It's that a reference to earlier when there was a tracking beacon in Mike's car's cap (which, if Mike put it there, would explain how he knew that Saul was there), or is there a way to identify a car by its fuel cap and so he took it for the same reason that he took the licence plate?

It's the former.
    the receiver is shown in Mike's bag at one point.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Question about the car

It's the former.
    the receiver is shown in Mike's bag at one point.

Nice attention to detail, there! I mean, both on the director’s part and yours.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Speaking of which, gawd damn that episode was perfectly directed.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Vince Gilligan understands these shows for some reason.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Vince Gilligan understands these shows for some reason.

Yeah, he was a good find by the production team. If they’re interested in doing a sequel to BCS, he could knock that out of the park.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    "Vince Gilligan presents The Ballad of Nacho Varga"

Just keep working progressively further back in time with different side characters until we hit the invention of meth.

• Options
    Quid wrote: »

Just keep working progressively further back in time with different side characters until we hit the invention of meth.

I would watch a legal drama starring Rhea Seehorn. And I NEVER watch legal dramas.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

I would watch a legal drama starring Rhea Seehorn. And I NEVER watch legal dramas.

I really wish she got more recognition for just how fucking good she has been in this role.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    By golly, I missed the start of the new season and they've already taken the early episodes off AMC's website. Where can I watch episodes 1-5?

• Options
    I'm able to watch on my cable's on-demand function

• Options
    chromdom wrote: »
    I'm able to watch on my cable's on-demand function

Only episode 5 and after are available to me.

• Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    Netflix has them all, in the Netherlands at least.

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    Maybe AMC will air a marathon the day of the season finale and I can binge watch them all.

• Options
    They normally do.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    So I am betting on (end of breaking bad spoilers)
    Kim dying or is busted before the end of the series, if she lives, shes definitely ratting out jimmy in the present.

Do we actually know who he is running from at this point? Basically everyone he was involved with is dead.

The guy who 'recognized him' didnt because of his affiliations(did his involvement ever become public in a national news story?), but because of being a tv lawyer.

It's been so long since watching breaking bad, I feel like I'm overlooking something.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    So I am betting on (end of breaking bad spoilers)
    Kim dying or is busted before the end of the series, if she lives, shes definitely ratting out jimmy in the present.

Do we actually know who he is running from at this point? Basically everyone he was involved with is dead.

The guy who 'recognized him' didnt because of his affiliations(did his involvement ever become public in a national news story?), but because of being a tv lawyer.

It's been so long since watching breaking bad, I feel like I'm overlooking something.

I think that anything Kim (BCS and BB spoilers)
    could give the authorities on Jimmy would be old news. They want him because of his role in Heisenberg’s criminal empire, spelled out in Jesse’s confession, which was at least witnessed in part by Marie. And maybe there wasn’t just the one copy of the recording. He’s also, at a minimum, sought for questioning in the murder of ten witnesses behind bars, based on this same evidence, which is good enough for discovery, if not sufficient to stand at trial. And he doesn’t know what happened to Jesse, who could come after him or get caught and cooperate.

As for the guy recognizing him because he used to live in ABQ, while Walt’s story would be national news, that and the revelation of Gus being kingpin of a drug empire would have overshadowed the involvement of one lawyer. Basically, a school teacher and a fast-food magnate being major international drug dealers is “man bites dog,” so it leads. A lawyer being corrupt is “dog bites man” and flies under the radar. And this guy could have moved out before it made the local news that the guy with the late-night commercials is a person of interest in these same crimes.

So he could absolutely be wanted for everything we saw in Breaking Bad, and for none of what we’re seeing in Better Call Saul. Without being particularly well-known for anything besides being a minor local celebrity among hoods and night owls in ABQ.

Episodes titles, at least, give me hope that Kim will straight-up leave Jimmy by season’s end when he does something that finally allows her revulsion to overcome her fascination with exploring her darker side. Though it’ll be rough to watch if it involves making that coached witness disappear. Even if Saul doesn’t know it’s going down, but especially if he knows and manipulates events, risking an innocent person’s life to make sure the police can connect it to Lalo, which would mean he goes away for the original charges AND the (attempted?) murder charge.

Zoku Gojira on
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Tonight
    So Kim's defense of Saul inadvertently paints a target on Ignacio...

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    That was probably the most tense I've been watching television since...well, probably since Ozymandius.

• Options
    Just give Rhea the Emmy already.
    Give her two. One for her, one for Kim.

That was Goodfellas, “what do you mean, I’m funny?” intense. As relieved as I am that Lalo is leaving town, Tony Dalton has been a fantastic addition to the cast. And Bob did a great job portraying PTSD, without overdoing it.

Way to talk to the guy who saved your life, though, Jimmy. Three times, and nearly a fourth. In what, two days?

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    That was a great episode.

Also: There's exactly one more season after the current one, right?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    That was a great episode.

Also: There's exactly one more season after the current one, right?

Yep, one season and next week's episode is it.

• Options
    How’d Mike get his walker all the way up to the roof

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    With difficulty

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    See... This is why you do not invite the devil into your home, much like a vampire. :P :snap:

*Taps on your fishbowl*...

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Man, Lalo shouldn't work at all. His goofiness should make it harder for him to seem threatening, but the guy is downright terrifying when he gotta be. D:
    also, I assume Mike only got the call from Nacho after they arrived at Saul's place, so holy shit the old man must've been breaking every traffic law to get there.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Man, Lalo shouldn't work at all. His goofiness should make it harder for him to seem threatening, but the guy is downright terrifying when he gotta be. D:
    also, I assume Mike only got the call from Nacho after they arrived at Saul's place, so holy shit the old man must've been breaking every traffic law to get there.
    IIRC, Fring's men are tracking Nacho's car based on the parking lot scene outside of Hector's nursing home?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options

yeah he must have been going flat out 25 the whole way

• Options
    Mike is old is the premise of these jokes

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    Mike is old is the premise of these jokes

“The only thing you can assume about a broken down old man is, that he is a survivor.” - Joe Sarno

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Very long interview with Rhea Seehorn, who has obviously done a LOT of thinking about her character. Much of it breaks down that final scene of the last episode. And apparently there's a lot more coming in the next episode.

Oh, and this:
    What is one final cryptic clue that you can drop about Kim in the finale?
    The fear and the worry that people have for Kim — and what's happening to her — is merited.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    borschevskyborschevsky Registered User regular
    I rewatched that last part of the episode after talking with some people about it, and picked up on something that went over my head the first time. When Kim starts
    talking to Lalo, it's because Saul has just offered the money back to him. She knows that the coffee cup with the bullet hole is in the money bag, and if Lalo sees it, it will blow Saul's story.

• Options
    Oh, that's a good observation!

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    TBH as I was watching I was thinking that their cover story was going to be something similar:
    They could've used the cup to say that the bullet hole was there before, because it's fucking New Mexico and people randomly shoot shit all the time. "For example, this stupid cup that I have that was a gag gift!"