As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Better Call Saul] S'All Good Man

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    If you were in the Cartel, would you rather work directly under Lalo, Tuco, or the Chicken Man?

Tuco is right out because his violent outburts are completely random.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I wouldn't even work for Gus at Pollo Hermanos. The way he treats Lyle is fuckin' gross.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    I had extensive complaints about the early episodes this season, and some issues continued throughout (so much irrelevant cartel business, where every character is too similarly methodical).

That said, things got significantly better following Nacho’s departure (which is crazy, because he was the best part of that story), and this was one of the best episodes of the show. Massive success pulling things together.

• Options
    ArmsForPeace84ArmsForPeace84 Your Partner In Freedom Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    I don’t think it’s naive (s6e7):
    I definitely think Lalo would have let Howard walk out if Howard hadn’t been a question asking motherfucker and if Jimmy and Kim had kept it together. He’s more than happy to kill people, but he’s let plenty of people live too. Shooting Howard wasn’t a tough decision for him, but it was a decision. The point where he slipped the gun out is when it was made, I think. That’s where he decided Howard was now a problem, and there was one solution.

But of course Howard in his current state was never going to be like “oh, I see you have a devilishly handsome Mexican gentleman here to see you, seems like none of my business, I’ll see myself out.” He was there to deal with some shit, and wasn’t going to leave because he was interrupted. And so, he died.

Of course as a viewer I knew he was dead the moment the candle flickered.
    Howard was a dead man the moment Lalo walked in the room. If he merely passed Lalo on the stairs, on his way out, it is likely that neither man would have batted an eye. But when that door opened, he became three things:

One, a witness to Lalo meeting with Jimmy, which is inconvenient to the former if he has any remaining use for his criminal lawyer. Two, a witness to how stressed out Jimmy and Kim are by their mysterious guest's appearance, which means that if Howard walks out that door, the cops will soon be interrupting the conversation that Lalo wants to have with the pair. And three, a way for Lalo to demonstrate what the stakes are before he intones something like, "tell me the story again, only this time tell me what you left out."

Nothing personal. It's just business.
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    I definitely think Lalo would have let Howard walk out if Howard hadn’t been a question asking motherfucker and if Jimmy and Kim had kept it together. He’s more than happy to kill people, but he’s let plenty of people live too. Shooting Howard wasn’t a tough decision for him, but it was a decision. The point where he slipped the gun out is when it was made, I think. That’s where he decided Howard was now a problem, and there was one solution.

But of course Howard in his current state was never going to be like “oh, I see you have a devilishly handsome Mexican gentleman here to see you, seems like none of my business, I’ll see myself out.” He was there to deal with some shit, and wasn’t going to leave because he was interrupted. And so, he died.

Howard was a dead man the moment Lalo walked in the room. If he merely passed Lalo on the stairs, on his way out, it is likely that neither man would have batted an eye. But when that door opened, he became three things:

One, a witness to Lalo meeting with Jimmy, which is inconvenient to the former if he has any remaining use for his criminal lawyer. Two, a witness to how stressed out Jimmy and Kim are by their mysterious guest's appearance, which means that if Howard walks out that door, the cops will soon be interrupting the conversation that Lalo wants to have with the pair. And three, a way for Lalo to demonstrate what the stakes are before he intones something like, "tell me the story again, only this time tell me what you left out."
    The second he said "Take your time," the decision had been made. He was willing to be polite enough to let them finish their business, whatever it was. Might as well let the dead man wrap up his affairs. It is part of what makes both Gus and him such interesting characters to watch. They stress the organized in organized crime as it is best for business. Doesn't make them nice people. Just polite while they are murdering you and your family.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »

The second he said "Take your time," the decision had been made. He was willing to be polite enough to let them finish their business, whatever it was. Might as well let the dead man wrap up his affairs. It is part of what makes both Gus and him such interesting characters to watch. They stress the organized in organized crime as it is best for business. Doesn't make them nice people. Just polite while they are murdering you and your family.

Fair, the way he said that did definitely carry a certain…weight.

• Options
    ArmsForPeace84ArmsForPeace84 Your Partner In Freedom Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Random thought, going back some episodes (still a current-season spoiler):
    Wasn't Nacho effectively giving up Mike, by admitting that he set up Tuco? In front of three Salamancas who know where Mike goes for breakfast and where his family lives.

I suppose maybe following it up with "I put you in that chair" buried the lede, there. But bringing up the Tuco fight again just reinforces that the Salamancas seem to have a spot in their vision the size and shape of Jonathan Banks.

ArmsForPeace84 on
    Nothing personal. It's just business.
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Finally caught up on everything and
    I'm really sad Howard died. He was an amazing character and such a great foil for Jimmy & Kim. I feel like his death is almost prophetic. He tells Jimmy he was born that way. He tells Kim she has a piece missing. The irony here being that we can clearly see that they both still do not like to face the consequences of what they do and what it says about them as people. So it's almost like there's still hope, however small, that they can change.

Earlier in the episode Howard has a figurative death, losing his credibility and his career - and instead of wallowing and accepting that he's destined to have a shitty life, he goes to Jimmy & Kim and not only calls them out, but tells them that he's going to get up and move on regardless of anything they do to him or how terrible they make his life. It's like he's slapping them in the face for all the terrible things they keep choosing to do. And then Lalo shows up like Death incarnate and kills Howard, reaping what they've sown. Showing them that they are, in fact, terrible people, and they are doing shitty things for shitty reasons.

• Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Finally caught up on everything and
    I'm really sad Howard died. He was an amazing character and such a great foil for Jimmy & Kim. I feel like his death is almost prophetic. He tells Jimmy he was born that way. He tells Kim she has a piece missing. The irony here being that we can clearly see that they both still do not like to face the consequences of what they do and what it says about them as people. So it's almost like there's still hope, however small, that they can change.

Earlier in the episode Howard has a figurative death, losing his credibility and his career - and instead of wallowing and accepting that he's destined to have a shitty life, he goes to Jimmy & Kim and not only calls them out, but tells them that he's going to get up and move on regardless of anything they do to him or how terrible they make his life. It's like he's slapping them in the face for all the terrible things they keep choosing to do. And then Lalo shows up like Death incarnate and kills Howard, reaping what they've sown. Showing them that they are, in fact, terrible people, and they are doing shitty things for shitty reasons.

And even after all that
    His last act is trying to de-escalate the situation and spare Jimmy and Kim from whatever this dude has planned for them

Great character all around.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    So I've been trying to find definitive proof that Chuck's/Howard's soda can trick actually works, and I've seen ambiguous videos on the internet. But I did find something that actually works, something that I should've known for at least 30 years and am only just learning now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkHYoDJ3ihQ

• Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    I tested the soda can trick after seeing the episode and it definitely worked for me.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Just realized this is back next week.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    S6E7
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    God damn.

Also, awesome detail someone on reddit pointed out in the last scene
    Saul's initial reaction to seeing Lalo is "How?!" as in "How are you still alive" but Kim thinks at lightning speed and makes it sound like they were both saying "Howard" to at least make a play at Saul not expecting Lalo to be dead.

Isn't that the wrong way around, though?
    Everyone is supposed to think that he's dead. The only ones who don't are Gus and his crew. If Jimmy didn't react that way, that would be a problem.

reVerse on
  • Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    S6E7
    God damn.

Saul's initial reaction to seeing Lalo is "How?!" as in "How are you still alive" but Kim thinks at lightning speed and makes it sound like they were both saying "Howard" to at least make a play at Saul not expecting Lalo to be dead.

Everyone is supposed to think that he's dead. The only ones who don't are Gus and his crew. If Jimmy didn't react that way, that would be a problem.
    I don't think so. Lalo doesn't know that Jimmy has any sort of line to Gus' people, so where would he have heard the Lalo was dead from? Jimmy being under the impression that Lalo is dead would be confirmation to Lalo that there's a connection there, which would be suspicious and noteworthy. I think Kim is right to be covering for this.

• Options
    Kasyn wrote: »
    S6E7
    God damn.

I don't think so. Lalo doesn't know that Jimmy has any sort of line to Gus' people, so where would he have heard the Lalo was dead from? Jimmy being under the impression that Lalo is dead would be confirmation to Lalo that there's a connection there, which would be suspicious and noteworthy. I think Kim is right to be covering for this.
    Mexican cops -> DEA -> Jimmy. Close to how it actually happened. Lalo knows how this stuff works.

• Options
    S6E7
    God damn.

Mexican cops -> DEA -> Jimmy. Close to how it actually happened. Lalo knows how this stuff works.
    I think it's conceivable that Jimmy could have naturally learned of Lalo's fate (at least the public story) without any funny business, but if I'm Lalo it's definitely sus that he knows anything about it. I don't really see how that flowchart follows. Jimmy being a local criminal lawyer should mean that he has contacts in the DEA? Or that he has a line on Mexican police Intel? If I'm Lalo, the expected assumption of what Jimmy thinks happened to me is that I disappeared into Mexico and he doesn't have much of a fucking clue beyond that.

• Options
    NineNine Registered User regular
    S6E7
    God damn.

He hears it from the prosecutors.
    Lalo's supposed death is public knowledge but he accidentally let slip to them that his client, "Jorge de Guzman," was Lalo. They want him to turn state's witness. Kim is covering that slip up as much if not more than the connection to Gus.

• Options
    Nine wrote: »
    S6E7
    God damn.

Lalo's supposed death is public knowledge but he accidentally let slip to them that his client, "Jorge de Guzman," was Lalo. They want him to turn state's witness. Kim is covering that slip up as much if not more than the connection to Gus.
    I had forgotten about that and then the scene where they confronted Kim on it. Did the prosecutor confirm in that latter conversation that they knew Lalo was supposedly dead?

• Options
    edited July 2022
    S6E7
    God damn.

I had forgotten about that and then the scene where they confronted Kim on it. Did the prosecutor confirm in that latter conversation that they knew Lalo was supposedly dead?
    They confirmed it in the scene with Kim, I think. And then Kim tells Jimmy that Lalo is dead. It's possible it may not be public knowledge outside of law enforcement and Gus's crew.[/spoilers]

Nine on
  • Options
    S6E7
    God damn.

They confirmed it in the scene with Kim, I think. And then Kim tells Jimmy that Lalo is dead.[/spoilers]
    Does that actually explain why Lalo would think Jimmy knows this though? He doesn't know that Jimmy let slip that he was Jorge de Guzman. From Lalo's perspective, nobody official stateside would have had the information to make that connection.

• Options
    S6E7
    God damn.

They confirmed it in the scene with Kim, I think. And then Kim tells Jimmy that Lalo is dead.[/spoilers]
    Does that actually explain why Lalo would think Jimmy knows this though? He doesn't know that Jimmy let slip that he was Jorge de Guzman. From Lalo's perspective, nobody official stateside would have had the information to make that connection.
    I guess it depends on what's publicly known about Lalo. If Lalo's death isn't known outside of law enforcement/Gus, which is a stretch but not impossible, then Kim is probably right to be protective. So... I guess I agree with you, actually.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I'm not 100% sure that made sense, but it was fucking tense as hell.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    The opening stuff was amazingly emotional for something with practically no words.
    Some improbable 4D chess on both sides there. I did take Fring and Mike's last conversation to be Fring understanding how close to fucking it all up he was.

This also concludes Howard Hamlin's arc as the most undeserving character to get shat all over in this story. He consistently was a stand up guy who tried to help people. He leaves behind a reputation as a coke addict. He dies only for a monster to make a point to some small time crooks, as part of a diversion, in a war among monsters.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Gus going to the Laundry himself felt like a stretch to get the pieces in place. Personally, I feel that detail could have been massaged a bit more on why Gus himself had to check.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Reflecting on this:
    Jimmy was clearly trying to get Kim to GTFO and run. He was expecting to die.

Kim was going to fucking shoot a person.

I do feel like the odds of Kim living through things have just sky rocketed though.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Gus going to the Laundry himself felt like a stretch to get the pieces in place. Personally, I feel that detail could have been massaged a bit more on why Gus himself had to check.

I was fine with it because
    It has been established with some significant regularity that Gus is impulsive in BCS and especially with regards to Lalo because he realizes Lalo has his number

He also respects Mike to a point but not nearly to the degree he does in BrBa, and is very much willing to go off and do his own thing and account for it later

It didn't feel out of character, because he has frequently bypassed his usual careful and controlled plans when it comes to tiptoeing around Lalo

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Man, seeing
    Howard in that hole next to Lalo was just...brutal. I absolutely loathe Jimmy and Kim now for what they did to Howard. I actually can't wait to see them get their due.

• Options
    Man, seeing
    Howard in that hole next to Lalo was just...brutal. I absolutely loathe Jimmy and Kim now for what they did to Howard. I actually can't wait to see them get their due.
    Now I admit I love any and every grift story so I had a lot of fun with the Howard heist bits and well

Even I am gonna feel fucking awkward on a rewatch. Jesus, the show is not pulling punches on the results of Jimmy and Kim's misadventure, here

I started feeling guilty around when Howard did the can trick with that clerk and from there out it's just been Collar Tug City

I spent a lot of this episode worried for Kim somehow felt even MORE worried by the end with how demolished she was in their final scene

Steam
  • Options
    ouchiesouchies Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    The lab:
    When I realized that Lalo was going to be buried in the lab I thought “oh snap, a Salamanca has been underfoot the whole time, daaaaamn.” And then we get back to the lab and there’s two bodies and a hole in the ground. One of the bleakest things I’ve ever seen in a show.

ouchies on
  • Options
    Man, seeing
    We know Jimmy doesn't, at least not for what has to be years. And even then lots of things could happen with Gene.

• Options
    Man, seeing
    We know Jimmy doesn't, at least not for what has to be years. And even then lots of things could happen with Gene.

I think
    that's what we're going to get in the finale for this show, given the "flash forwards" we're seeing with Jimmy.

• Options
    They fucking finally nominated Rhea Seehorn for an Emmy.

(Also Odenkirk again)

• Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Just deliver it to her house, don't make her go through the pomp and ceremony of it all.

Also the one character I was most afraid for...
    Lyle should have pressed for a store manager salary, but then the show would have ended with three bodies in a hole.

• Options
    ouchies wrote: »
    The lab:
    When I realized that Lalo was going to be buried in the lab I thought “oh snap, a Salamanca has been underfoot the whole time, daaaaamn.” And then we get back to the lab and there’s two bodies and a hole in the ground. One of the bleakest things I’ve ever seen in a show.

Seriously, those lingering shots of
    The guys manipulating Howard and Lalo's bodies were absolutely brutal and horrifying. Really establishing the grim reality of how lifeless they both were and lingering on those shots of their arms or legs dropping down.

Weirdly some of the most horrific stuff I've seen in a show. It felt real.

Steam
  • Options
    I think this show managed to really hit the point home that was maybe missed with Walter White on Breaking Bad. There should be absolutely no ambiguity now that the main protagonists are doing really bad things for really shitty reasons, and no amount of charisma or sympathy can cover for that fact.

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    ouchies wrote: »
    The lab:

Seriously, those lingering shots of
    The guys manipulating Howard and Lalo's bodies were absolutely brutal and horrifying. Really establishing the grim reality of how lifeless they both were and lingering on those shots of their arms or legs dropping down.

Weirdly some of the most horrific stuff I've seen in a show. It felt real.
    every thing about those last moments—Mike’s reaction to Howard’s body, the shot of him walking up the stairs while the men fill the hole—just absolutely gutted me. Damn.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Patrick Fabian just tweeted this:

Episode thoughts:
    When Jimmy said to send Kim, my take was that it was a selfless act on his part, coupled with an acknowledgement that she was smarter than him - she'd take off, he'd possibly take the bullet, but maybe Kim would think of a plan to save them both

Then Kim showed up at the house and nope, she's ready to kill

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Man, pretty much everyone on this show deserves an Emmy.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular

Episode thoughts:
    When Jimmy said to send Kim, my take was that it was a selfless act on his part, coupled with an acknowledgement that she was smarter than him - she'd take off, he'd possibly take the bullet, but maybe Kim would think of a plan to save them both

Oh yeah, I thought
    he was telling her to just go, get out of here.
    I didn't pick up on Jimmy acknowledging she was smarter than he was, I thought he was just trying to avoid getting her killed. Especially getting her killed by his own ineptitude.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »

Episode thoughts:

Oh yeah, I thought
    he was telling her to just go, get out of here.
    I didn't pick up on Jimmy acknowledging she was smarter than he was, I thought he was just trying to avoid getting her killed. Especially getting her killed by his own ineptitude.

Yea seriously,
    There's no "smarter than me" nonsense, he knows no matter what the person who stays dies and the person who leaves dies upon their return from committing the drug murder, possibly including an interrogation and torture before dying.

The only way to live is to be the person who leaves the room and then to never come back, and he's ready to die for Kim.

Kim, it turns out, is ready to kill for Jimmy, and, giving her the benefit of the doubt that she's figured out Lalo won't just let them go, would rather cling to the hope that Lalo lets them go planning to kill, return and risk sharing a grave with Jimmy than living without him.

Honestly it's pretty romantic