As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Arrow] Team Arrow Appreciation Thread

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    I really hope I'm wrong, but I'm betting Political Advisor Guy turns out to be working for Darhk.

We had that with DJ Guy and being with the League of Assassins. And the Firefly Chick (I was going to say River but we have two people on this show who've played a character named River) being in league with Slade Wilson. I'm praying the writers are smarter than this to try it again.

I think you are going to be very disappointed. He's a guy on this show that isn't a hero or Diggle. That means he has two options, be a giant unbelievable douche, or be evil. So far he's been likable and very un-douche like, so that leaves only the latter.

Ray?
    Roy?
    Curtis?
    Walter?

Hero
    Hero
    Yet to be determined
    Forgot about him

Oh wait. You said "Isn't a hero or Diggle." I read that wrong.

Are you saying that Diggle isn't a hero? Because there might be consequences for saying that.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I really hope I'm wrong, but I'm betting Political Advisor Guy turns out to be working for Darhk.

We had that with DJ Guy and being with the League of Assassins. And the Firefly Chick (I was going to say River but we have two people on this show who've played a character named River) being in league with Slade Wilson. I'm praying the writers are smarter than this to try it again.

I think you are going to be very disappointed. He's a guy on this show that isn't a hero or Diggle. That means he has two options, be a giant unbelievable douche, or be evil. So far he's been likable and very un-douche like, so that leaves only the latter.

Ray?
    Roy?
    Curtis?
    Walter?

Hero
    Hero
    Yet to be determined
    Forgot about him

Are you saying that Diggle isn't a hero? Because there might be consequences for saying that.

Hero
    Hero
    Yet to be determined
    Hero
    Forgot about him
    Diggle (Diggle is above your categories)

Harry Dresden on
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited November 2015

Ray?
    Roy?
    Curtis?
    Walter?

Hero
    Hero
    Yet to be determined
    Forgot about him

Hero
    Hero
    Yet to be determined
    Hero
    Forgot about him
    Diggle (Diggle is above your categories)

Diggle trancends the categories, I mean we give Oliver a hard time about killing people in S1, but now he runs around shooting people and we don't really care because he's Diggle and he's cool as fuck.

Besides we all know he is destined to get a power ring and become Green Diggle.

LostNinja on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Dingle Lantern?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    There are a few people who seems to be pulling out guns this season. Diggle and Sarah both are packing heat. It's not about killing, apparently, it's about not being vicious and bashing skulls in. Which makes what the Hood did in Season 1 seem... ok.

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    yeah Diggle is definitely above hero status. almost like some kind of.... mega-hero!

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    There are a few people who seems to be pulling out guns this season. Diggle and Sarah both are packing heat. It's not about killing, apparently, it's about not being vicious and bashing skulls in. Which makes what the Hood did in Season 1 seem... ok.

I think it's more about control? I mean the idea seems to be "if you're just in it to do some violence then you're going to violence the wrong people".

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Sara wasn't packing heat, she just grabbed a gun off a dude she dropped. And apparently Diggle is using LtL loads?

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    I think there's also a difference in who they are attacking. When you're going after a professional paramilitary force who are happy to leave a trail of bodies in their wake while using automatic weapons and explosives to carry out terrorist attacks, killing them in a straight up fight isn't morally unjust. But either way, Sarah going off to Central City for a bit means she can murder the metas so Barry doesn't have to.

Mvrck wrote: »
    I think there's also a difference in who they are attacking. When you're going after a professional paramilitary force who are happy to leave a trail of bodies in their wake while using automatic weapons and explosives to carry out terrorist attacks, killing them in a straight up fight isn't morally unjust. But either way, Sarah going off to Central City for a bit means she can murder the metas so Barry doesn't have to.

I wonder if she gets a bigger reprieve from Murder Crazy for killing metas than normal people. Like, is it XP based?

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

I wonder if she gets a bigger reprieve from Murder Crazy for killing metas than normal people. Like, is it XP based?

Zoom is purple...

rRwz9.gif
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

Zoom is purple...
    Yeah, but she's white. Girl needs to level up a bit first.

sig.gif
    edited November 2015
    Sorce wrote: »

Zoom is purple...
    Yeah, but she's white. Girl needs to level up a bit first.

So white.
    arrow-legnds-tomorrow-white-canary-caity-lotz.jpg

Dracomicron on
  • Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    Finished watching Season 1 of this. Looks like I'm sufficiently hooked to keep watching. There were some weird moments where I had to ask myself whether this is some shitty writing or are these characters actually supposed to be like this, most recently the part where
    Oliver convinces Tommy to try and get Laurel back, then immediately goes and sleeps with Laurel himself.

But all in all it was a thoroughly enjoyable first season. Although eyeing through this thread has left me with a slightly biased perspective on things. Specifically, I feel like I'm watching the origin story of how Laurel becomes The Worst.

MSL59.jpg
    edited November 2015
    Bliss 101 wrote: »
    Specifically, I feel like I'm watching the origin story of how Laurel becomes The Worst.
    You think you know, but you have no idea.
    Season 2 Laurel is SO MUCH WORSE.

edit: Well, she ends up being right about one thing. But still... WORSE.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
    Season 3 Laurel gets marginally better. It's a low point in her story arc.

But in Season 4 she becomes entirely monstrous! It's pretty epic.

Yeah, any time anyone does something wrong, Laurel then does it, but goes 10x worse.

sig.gif
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    In season 5, all the flashbacks become Laurel's actions in Season 1 explaining why Season 5 Laurel is so efficient at being The Worst

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I've been really happy with the last couple of episodes, and tonight's continued that trend.

These characters have been around long enough that their big dramatic scenes don't have to rely on CW teen-drama boilerplate - they can actually talk in concrete terms about stuff that we've seen them all go through. Oliver confronting Lance was one of the all-time highlights of the show's three-plus years, and while it wasn't quite as explosive, his argument with Diggle tonight struck a similarly strong chord with me.

I understand why Diggle is skeptical of Oliver's faith in the possibility of redemption - but that belief of Oliver's, both in himself and others, is ultimately what makes him a hero, and it's what sets him apart from (the debased, mass-market interpretation of) Batman. And I think that given the tack this season seems to be taking, that faith will be borne out. I wouldn't be shocked to learn that Andy was undercover for ARGUS this entire time, for instance.

In the midst of all that, we got some of the best action scenes of the season, including some work that looked kind of handheld and digital video-ey, and a long take with Thea. The show is clearly aware that Daredevil exists and is upping its own game in turn.

Oliver eyeball-fucking Darkh there at the end was a scene worthy of a much more serious, strait-laced show. I loved it.

rRwz9.gif
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    I found it funny when Thea tried to threaten Malcolm by calling the police.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Well, he might not make a clean sweep of them, and then there would be a police officer in Star City who knows Malcom Merlyn is still alive.

• theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I've been really happy with the last couple of episodes, and tonight's continued that trend.

These characters have been around long enough that their big dramatic scenes don't have to rely on CW teen-drama boilerplate - they can actually talk in concrete terms about stuff that we've seen them all go through. Oliver confronting Lance was one of the all-time highlights of the show's three-plus years, and while it wasn't quite as explosive, his argument with Diggle tonight struck a similarly strong chord with me.

I understand why Diggle is skeptical of Oliver's faith in the possibility of redemption - but that belief of Oliver's, both in himself and others, is ultimately what makes him a hero, and it's what sets him apart from (the debased, mass-market interpretation of) Batman. And I think that given the tack this season seems to be taking, that faith will be borne out. I wouldn't be shocked to learn that Andy was undercover for ARGUS this entire time, for instance.

In the midst of all that, we got some of the best action scenes of the season, including some work that looked kind of handheld and digital video-ey, and a long take with Thea. The show is clearly aware that Daredevil exists and is upping its own game in turn.

Oliver eyeball-fucking Darkh there at the end was a scene worthy of a much more serious, strait-laced show. I loved it.

I loved how intimidated he looked at the end.

Basically, "oh shit he's the Arrow he knows what he's doing"

In season 5, all the flashbacks become Laurel's actions in Season 1 explaining why Season 5 Laurel is so efficient at being The Worst
    She's basically her father without his job keeping him in check.

Clearly Dinah and Sara were the competent ones.

sig.gif
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I liked Darkh's reaction to his failed life-suck attempt on Thea:

"That usually works..."

And yeah, Speedy vs. Andy had me thinking DD Hallway scene, and in a good way.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited November 2015

She faces bad guys and screams "YOU HAVE LAURELED THIS CITY".

edit: Truefax on the last episode, she had a great stunt with jumping off that roof from over the shoulder. They are getting really good at doing those stunts.
    double edit: I'm guessing guest director with all the shakycam long cut fights. Some worked well and some didnt. I give them credit for trying different things.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Foefaller wrote: »
    I liked Darkh's reaction to his failed life-suck attempt on Thea:

"That usually works..."

And yeah, Speedy vs. Andy had me thinking DD Hallway scene, and in a good way.

The Daredevil hallway fight was itself an homage to the one in The Raid:

https://youtu.be/uI-V0rrlZBo

Inquisitor77 on
  • SixshotStrikerSixshotStriker Registered User regular
    It's kind of funny. Arrow already did a homage to that scene in Season 1. Oliver was rescuing Walter and they ended their fight with Oliver doing the decending head smash thing. I remember thinking "Well someone watched The Raid."

• valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    man laurel was... good this episode? talking with digg she had some good lines, natural sounding dialogue, and didn't do anything terrible like keep her sister chained in a basement like a rabid animal.

Man the more people join Team Arrow the harder my suspension of disbelief has to work. Laurel's tonfas and canary cry shouldn't be less believable than Ollie and Digg but... they are. Thea weighing all of 98 lbs dripping wet shouldn't bug me, but seeing her toss around full grown men just rubs me the wrong way. Is it less believable than Sarah Lance was? I don't know. It shouldn't be. But it is. I just can't enjoy the fight scenes the way I used to. halp

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    "This has to better than you usually spend your evenings.."
    "Dressing in leather and tying people up"
    O_O

I lost my shit

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    "This has to better than you usually spend your evenings.."
    "Dressing in leather and tying people up"
    O_O

I lost my shit

The look on the random campaign donor's face was classic.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    The fight choreography team is just showing off now. Some of these long take fights were fantastic. Not quite Daredevil hallway fantastic, or that long take Daisy fight scene last season in Agents of Shield, but man that elevator fight with Speedy and Andy was pretty damned great.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    But thank god Oliver and Thea had those bullet proof motorcycles to block all that machine gun fire while they just stood in the middle of the road.

But beside that I really enjoyed the action scenes. They should stick to the fights that are close quarters by necessity through surroundings and sets because that opening wide open street devolving into a fistfight was weird. Like, they have machine guns. Then sidearms. Then knives and stuff. But I mean, your paramilitary force should at least kill the person who is trying to charge into melee range to tonfa you

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Got caught up from my power outage. Loved the ep, loved that secrecy is being less and less of a thing and Oliver is telling people his awful plans before he implements them.

And yeah the long form fight scenes was a real treat, if kind of jarring from like flash's fight scenes this week.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    double edit: I'm guessing guest director with all the shakycam long cut fights. Some worked well and some didnt. I give them credit for trying different things.

Agreed. The fights near the end were great, but I thought the camera work on the first fight was distractingly bad. Even my wife commented, and she's not the type to notice that stuff.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    I was surprised they had Laurel take out 5 Ghosts almost all at the same time. Usually she gets more beat up than that.

sig.gif
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Y'know, if Thea is so worried about going all crazy and stabbing people...maybe she should stop going out with a fucking sword. Why does she even have that thing? How is a sword going to be helpful in non-violently taking people out?

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Yeah, I was expecting Oliver to point that out when they were suiting up.

Malcolm's solution to the bloodlust was very Malcolm. A shame Oliver didn't ask Constantine to take a look at Thea while he was in town, but I'm not sure how much Oliver knows about her condition at this point.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    I was surprised they had Laurel take out 5 Ghosts almost all at the same time. Usually she gets more beat up than that.

I think that arc is just Done at this point, and for narrative purposes she is now Competent.

• Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Laurel was stuck doing the spin-off set up or the SOSU. Kind of like the clunky flash episode where they had to find a new guy to make up Firestorm because Robbie Amell didn't sign up for Legends of Tomorrow.

Laurel being completely obsessed with resurrecting Sara was a symptom of the writers wanting Sara to star in the spin-off and having to bring her back ASAP.

Organic plot development was thrown out the window along with character development and Laurel's common sense.

Now she is back to normal and surprisingly doesn't suck.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Yeah, I was expecting Oliver to point that out when they were suiting up.

Malcolm's solution to the bloodlust was very Malcolm. A shame Oliver didn't ask Constantine to take a look at Thea while he was in town, but I'm not sure how much Oliver knows about her condition at this point.

I don't think Constantine can cure bloodlust. He was only able to restore Sara's soul.