As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Arrow] Team Arrow Appreciation Thread

• Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    I liked the Mad Dog origin story way more than I would have expected to as I hadn't been a fan of him up until this point.

That aside though I really hated this "a very special Arrow" episode. I don't need heavy politics in my comic based dramas.

Wasn't that the point of the episode though? That we have become so adverse to seeing politics we don't even want to talk about them when we should.
    That doesn't mean a comic book show for entertainment is where we should. If it was, the whole episode wouldn't have felt so heavy handed and forced.
    ...Green Arrow was like the political commentary comic. It tackled stuff like drug abuse and male rape. Arrow is the perfect place for tackling politics.

Also, all media is inherently political.

Actually since the beginning, i was wondering how they were going to ingrain what has been something of a staple in the Green Arrow comics into the show.

I'm glad that they are finally doing something with it in the show and i was way more into the Mayor Queen parts of this episode than the Green Arrow parts.

Even the talk down that Oliver gave to deescalate the situation was well done as well, it didn't come off as cheesey, it was imo a good performance.

Honestly i dont want this to be a very special arrow episode. i want it to be a part of the norm.

Although, now that i think about it the social and political aspects of Green Arrow have always been there.

The Undertaking, "failing the city", The List, even his eventual rise to Mayor have all be connected to it.

I hope they can keep the momentum moving forward into the next few episodes.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    The back-and-forth in the episode was dumb, because they didn't come down on either side by the end of the episode. Even if I would end up disagreeing with whichever side the show put forth as the "valid answer" it would have been better than waving a magic wand and saying that the problem is fixed but we're not telling you what the solution is.

This should have been a multi-episode arc, not a one-and-done.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    They clearly just gave everyone bows instead of guns. Problem solved!

Oliver seems to be a little too trusting of Ms. Reporter at this point, but maybe I've lost track of the timeline.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    That was kind of a garbage episode. It's possible to address social matters in a nuanced way; movies do it all the time.

This was just a couple of characters suddenly revealing they have Very Strong Opinions and spouting standard political soundbites for 45 minutes until the hero declares "I have found a reasonable compromise!" and then not telling us the compromise.

If this is the show being politically aware, I hope it just goes back to being pointless entertainment.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    I liked the Mad Dog origin story way more than I would have expected to as I hadn't been a fan of him up until this point.

That aside though I really hated this "a very special Arrow" episode. I don't need heavy politics in my comic based dramas.

Wasn't that the point of the episode though? That we have become so adverse to seeing politics we don't even want to talk about them when we should.
    That doesn't mean a comic book show for entertainment is where we should. If it was, the whole episode wouldn't have felt so heavy handed and forced.
    ...Green Arrow was like the political commentary comic. It tackled stuff like drug abuse and male rape. Arrow is the perfect place for tackling politics.

Also, all media is inherently political.

Actually since the beginning, i was wondering how they were going to ingrain what has been something of a staple in the Green Arrow comics into the show.

I'm glad that they are finally doing something with it in the show and i was way more into the Mayor Queen parts of this episode than the Green Arrow parts.

Even the talk down that Oliver gave to deescalate the situation was well done as well, it didn't come off as cheesey, it was imo a good performance.

Honestly i dont want this to be a very special arrow episode. i want it to be a part of the norm.

Although, now that i think about it the social and political aspects of Green Arrow have always been there.

The Undertaking, "failing the city", The List, even his eventual rise to Mayor have all be connected to it.

I hope they can keep the momentum moving forward into the next few episodes.

The original premise of Arrow was that Ollie didn't really give a shit about street crime because corporate crime was a lot more important.

Which is something they sort of lost sight of over the years, but it was nice while it lasted.

Keep in mind that a big reason why people are so paranoid about needing guns in the first place is because of media portrayals about street crime. In real life, most people will never witness a life threatening crime ever in their entire life. But comics like Spider-Man will try to convince you that you can't walk down the streets of New York for 5 minutes without witnessing a bank robbery.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    Arrow and the comics shouldn't be trying to convince you of anything, at least in my opinion. And if they are they're not trying to convince anyone about crimes. That's just the excuse to get the Hero into action and then work in whatever. I kind of surprised they even made the conversation 2 sided.

But like Felicity said in the end it goes nowhere and is better left out of the show. Seems even people who want to include it agree on that.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Arrow and the comics shouldn't be trying to convince you of anything, at least in my opinion. And if they are they're not trying to convince anyone about crimes. That's just the excuse to get the Hero into action and then work in whatever. I kind of surprised they even made the conversation 2 sided.

But like Felicity said in the end it goes nowhere and is better left out of the show. Seems even people who want to include it agree on that.

Comics, and fiction in general, have always been political. Green Arrow in particular has been a standout in commenting on politics, at least since his Hard Traveling Heroes days. You (general you) don't have to agree with their stance, of course, but like Jeffe said I care about how its presented more than the message. This is why I like Supergirl yet loathe Avatar despite agreeing with both their politics.

Comics also are politics even when they try not to be, like Chuck Dixon's run on Robin.

Some comics have politics entrenched into their premise, like Captain America.

Arrow's first season, despite not being GA's stereotypical liberal view it is in the comics is deeply political via corporate crime and why it's important not to give up or ghettoize regions and try not kill off the poor.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    This isn't a problem...
    it's a Season Finale Arc~!

sig.gif
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Tonight:
    Good job writers, you got me with that twist *claps approvingly*

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Tonight:
    Good job writers, you got me with that twist *claps approvingly*
    During that little encounter
    I literally said to myself "you know, whoever Prometheus is, I'm probably gonna be disappointed."

NOPE.

And relatedly
    I kind of wish that we hadn't gotten the reveal yet? Like, it would have made the end of the episode that much more ominous I think.

sig.gif
  • Options
    RhinocerousRhinocerous Registered User regular
    So, in the latest episode,
    why has Chase suddenly abandoned any pretense of being a normal dude? We know he's Prometheus, and Oliver knows he's Prometheus, but the rest of Star City doesn't. Why is he giving press conferences in the menacing creepy voice? I find it distracting.

• Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    So, in the latest episode,
    why has Chase suddenly abandoned any pretense of being a normal dude? We know he's Prometheus, and Oliver knows he's Prometheus, but the rest of Star City doesn't. Why is he giving press conferences in the menacing creepy voice? I find it distracting.

you know what would be cool, quick cuts of normal press conference into the actual one the show is giving us.

Devlin_Dragonus on
    I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Tonight
    Sarin can kill on contact with skin...surely Malcolm must have sold Kovar some commercial grade pesticide instead...

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    I still don't get or like Prometheus at all. Merlyn was a trained assassin with a ginormous master plan and doomsday device. Slade was hopped up on super juice and had an army of followers. Ras was a trained assassin with a half-assed master plan and an army of followers. Dahrk was hopped up on magic and had a ginormous master plan plus army of followers. Prometheus is... some guy who trained a whole year while simultaneously becoming the DA? And his master plan is... make Oliver extra angsty? If they're trying to dial things down to a more personal level, it's not working at all.

Meanwhile, Canary 1.5 has just fucked off to wherever after betraying the team, never to be seen again apparently.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    I still don't get or like Prometheus at all. Merlyn was a trained assassin with a ginormous master plan and doomsday device. Slade was hopped up on super juice and had an army of followers. Ras was a trained assassin with a half-assed master plan and an army of followers. Dahrk was hopped up on magic and had a ginormous master plan plus army of followers. Prometheus is... some guy who trained a whole year while simultaneously becoming the DA? And his master plan is... make Oliver extra angsty? If they're trying to dial things down to a more personal level, it's not working at all.

Meanwhile, Canary 1.5 has just fucked off to wherever after betraying the team, never to be seen again apparently.

I'm absolute shit at remembering/placing faces,
    but wasn't she the girl that Prometheus hauled into Oliver's cell and told them to kill each other? Then pretended to snap her neck so she could get up after Oliver finally admitted that the salmon ladder was only part of his workout regime and it's actually cold blooded arrow murder that gives you the killer abs.

• Options
    Yeah, I wrote that halfway through the episode just before she popped up again.

Still, though. The fuck's she been doing all this time? Skulking?

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Was the revelation really a revelation?

I mean, callbacks to season 1 but still somewhat about the current episode.
    No one drops that many bodies and doesn't enjoy it a little bit. Like, I thought that was obvious in season 1. Yeah, he was crossing names off the list but was totally having a good time doing it. And honestly, I kind of liked having a murderous vigilante on TV for a change. I think it lets you explore topics that other shows haven't really tackled. Even though other heroes totally kill people they just sort of ignore it (Flash). I think if the writers kept at that we could have had this more introspective into Oliver's killing habits earlier. Instead he went into no killing land but "oh yeah that arrow in your shoulder won't kill you but have fun in physical therapy for years."

For once I cared more about the flashback stuff. Was glad to see Dolph back. I thought/hoped we would get more of him than we did this season.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    ArcTangent wrote: »

I'm absolute shit at remembering/placing faces,
    but wasn't she the girl that Prometheus hauled into Oliver's cell and told them to kill each other? Then pretended to snap her neck so she could get up after Oliver finally admitted that the salmon ladder was only part of his workout regime and it's actually cold blooded arrow murder that gives you the killer abs.

Yeah through the episode I kept going "who the fuck is that?". None of that part made any sense.
    I wonder if they had rub on tattoos for his chest or if they had to paint it each time so they said "fuck it we can slap a prosthetic on there quicker in the future"

I don't understand how dolph lived unless its just more plot magic. Does he come back and was behind Prometheus the whole time or some shit?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    These are the worst fucking vigilantes I have ever seen.
    They know who he is, where he sleeps, where to find him during the day, and they can't fucking follow him somewhere, or kidnap him?

To say nothing of just exposing him or killing him.

I'll admit I have been less than half watching, but this is easily the least satisfying storyline yet.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    They know who he is, where he sleeps, where to find him during the day, and they can't fucking follow him somewhere, or kidnap him?

I'll admit I have been less than half watching, but this is easily the least satisfying storyline yet.
    They didn't want to kill him, but to break him.

They want Oliver broken as a person for his "crimes".

That in their mind is the only fitting punishment.

Also when in the last... 10 years of Oliver's life has "just kill him" worked? Dude has more then 9 lives.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I see by the spoilers that I haven't missed much since I gave up 4 episodes ago. I keep looking at them on my DVR but can't muster the strength to watch them. This season has turned me off of the show. Same with Flash.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    "It took me 8 minutes. 3 for this guy."

• Options
    Wait, they thought they could beat the main villain... with a phone call?

Jesus Christ, what is this, an overrated M. Night Shymalan movie?

• Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    See, I was more bothered by
    "My federal protection guys got a text message. I better kill them now"
    than anything else.

• Options
    I really hope
    Anatoli and Oliver are still kind of friends after this. It was a neat little detail up until this point.

sig.gif
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    See, I was more bothered by
    "My federal protection guys got a text message. I better kill them now"
    than anything else.
    That text message was from the Chinese place they ordered dinner from letting them know they were on the way.
    Prometheus just kind of jumped to conclusions.
    The actual warning didn't come in until 5 minutes later.

Seriously though
    It's not beyond the realm of possibility in this setting that the world class assassin training that Prometheus had that let him stand up to Green Arrow and crew also let him recognize the difference in breathing between when his guards where there to protect him, and when they got the message and had to arrest him. Or maybe he heard them going for their guns before getting all stabby stabby.

see317 on
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I have watched all the way up to season 4. I wanted to start watching season 5 but the full season is $40 on Amazon so I was wondering if CW airs all the episodes for season 5 or if I have to buy it?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    supersporksuperspork Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    I have watched all the way up to season 4. I wanted to start watching season 5 but the full season is $40 on Amazon so I was wondering if CW airs all the episodes for season 5 or if I have to buy it?

No they don't air all the eps on the app/website, but CW has new deal with Netflix where all the new eps will be up very shortly after season ends (I think a week but it might be a little more)

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    superspork wrote: »
    Stragint wrote: »

No they don't air all the eps on the app/website, but CW has new deal with Netflix where all the new eps will be up very shortly after season ends (I think a week but it might be a little more)

Cool, I will wait for that then. Thank you

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I know I'm a week behind, but I just finished Kapiushon and holy shit that episode was good. Best flashbacks of the series to this point, I think.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    I think this is the worst bullshit they've pulled yet.
    No, Oliver, you do not kill because you like it. Half the shit you're blaming yourself for was set in motion before you got on the damn boat, much less did anything in the hood.

And just fucking kill Chase already, geezus.

Hopefully we've seen the end of the first half that, but I'm sure they'll drag the 2nd out.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    DunderDunder Registered User regular
    There is still the other vigilante with the guns and the high tech mask right? Or did I miss him being taken down?

• Options
    Dunder wrote: »
    There is still the other vigilante with the guns and the high tech mask right? Or did I miss him being taken down?
    Yeah, Vigilante is still out there.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Dunder wrote: »
    Yeah, Vigilante is still out there.

The Punisher Vigilante is staying in Star City before his show starts on Netflix. He's very excited.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »

They didn't want to kill him, but to break him.

They want Oliver broken as a person for his "crimes".

That in their mind is the only fitting punishment.

Also when in the last... 10 years of Oliver's life has "just kill him" worked? Dude has more then 9 lives.

You seem to have parsed my intent backwards.

Team Arrow are the feckless vigilantes I'm disappointed in. They are the "they". Bad guy is the "him".

• Options
    So, who wants spoilers as to end-of-season casting?
    No seriously, this is your last chance.
    ApparentlyKatrina Law is coming back to reprise her role.

Also, Deathstroke is supposed to also be showing up, but Manu has said he was in NZ filming another project (Shannara, I think), so...
    maybe he'll never take the mask off?

sig.gif
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    So, who wants spoilers as to end-of-season casting?
    No seriously, this is your last chance.
    ApparentlyKatrina Law is coming back to reprise her role.

Also, Deathstroke is supposed to also be showing up, but Manu has said he was in NZ filming another project (Shannara, I think), so...
    maybe he'll never take the mask off?

Wait,
    Crixus
    is in that Shannara show? Dammit. I may have to watch it. He's a good chunk of why I started Arrow in the first place.

• Options
    New episode this week and no one's commented? I guess Felicity-centric stuff isn't popular here either.
    Not a great episode, if only because I really thought they were going to go dark on Felicity, only to basically not do that at all.
    She still gets to come off as hyper-critical (and hypocritical) of Oliver, and the whole episode was basically "Oh man Lilah and Felicity are crossing lines! What kind of world is this!?!" And also the wardrobe/makeup department stepped up their game because Felicity was way more stylish than she usually is.

B-plot was where the "good stuff" was, because that was basically Lance convincing Rene to fight for custody of his daughter.

sig.gif
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Honestly, this season is the first time I've started caring less and less about the show. The whole Prometheus act was dumb af :-/

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    Kashaar wrote: »
    Honestly, this season is the first time I've started caring less and less about the show. The whole Prometheus act was dumb af :-/

Everything about him is pretty dumb.

1st season: Trained assassin with riches and power
    2nd season: Trained mercenary with riches and super power
    3rd season: Trained assassin with a bunch more assassins
    4th season: Trained assassin with riches, power, a secret society, and magic.
    5th season: Random guy with less than a year of training and a chip on his shoulder.

He's barely villain of the week level. They spent an entire season one-shotting faceless assassin grunts with more training and supposed threat level than him. For a while, I thought they were going to go with the twist that there were a bunch of Prometheuses, all people related to someone Oliver had killed. Could've certainly scaled it down to a personal level after off-handedly nuking an entire city, and worked with a paranoia angle helping out Oliver getting more and more unhinged by it eventually leading up to the UR-Prometheus who was directing them all. But nope. I couldn't even tell you what his plan is at this point. To fuck around with Oliver for fucking around's sake, but not actually kill him until he's decided the fucking around quotient is full we're in the last episode or two?

ztrEPtD.gif