As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pacific NW in May

GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, ProbablyWatertown, WIRegistered User regular
Due to me being rather... judicious in my use of vacation time this year and also not realizing how many days I had to play with in the first place, I will be on vacation for oh let's say the entire second half of May. The days I know I've got coming are May 14-30, though depending on how they schedule there might be an additional day or two in either direction (I've had off time unwittingly extended in this fashion before). My general plan is to make a roadtrip from here in Wisconsin out to the Pacific Northwest. Seattle is the chief destination, with Portland also intended.

What else happens depends on if I have a passport or not by then, something I've been meaning to get for a while anyway. I might be a bit late off the blocks in trying for one, that's on me, but if I do manage to get one before I leave, I'll be adding Vancouver and maybe Victoria to the itinerary, and doing things south-to-north, starting in Portland once I make it to the coast. If I don't have it by then, I'll be sticking to Seattle, Portland and let the eventual itinerary determine which direction I'm traveling along the coast.

My chief questions- feel free to answer any others that you think I ought to be asking- are along these lines:

1. What do, of course, noting that the first and last few days will necessarily be dedicated to getting west and getting home. NOTE: In both potential scenarios, I intend to use I-90 going west as opposed to I-94 in the stretch between Tomah, WI and Billings, MT; the difference between the two is like 20 miles, the I-90 route through South Dakota has clearly more to do, particularly around the Wall/Badlands/Rushmore region, than the I-94 route through North Dakota, and I have no interest in randomly setting up shop for the night anywhere near North Dakota oil country and the scarily expensive and packed hotels within.
2. I know there's a high concentration of forumers in the Seattle-Portland corridor, given where PA is based and all, so would anyone perhaps like to say hi while I'm in the area?
3. A secondary purpose of the trip is to scope the area out for potential relocation prospects; if that does end up happening, I've already determined that finding a roommate would be imperative. What could I do in the context of a vacation to further that purpose?

The list of Stuff To Do is pretty short right now, but so far that short list includes:
*Pike Place Market, Seattle
*Seattle Sounders vs. Sporting Kansas City, May 23
*Card Kingdom, Seattle
*Oregon coast, most likely Cannon Beach
*Powell's City of Books, Portland

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Vancouver Science center! ( though , it's been a while for me now that I think about it, but was great then , can anyone confirm if still doing cool things?)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Do you like the outdoors at all?

Cause that is some prime camping time and the natural scenery is one of the best parts of the northwest.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Yeah, having an idea of your hobbies would be great, as you could potentially veer into places like Bend if you're into biking and/or beer, alternatively the San Juan islands north of Seattle if you're into Kayaking etc.

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    If you like mountains, there are both the Olympic Mountains and Cascades to choose from. The San Juan Islands have lovely island scenery and whale watching tours and you get a ferry trip out of it as well.

• BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Just a place to go eat, but I got turned on to the AFK tavern when I was visiting Seattle for PAX Prime last year. The food was good, and the references were hilarious. Definitely will be going back.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    schuss wrote: »
    Yeah, having an idea of your hobbies would be great, as you could potentially veer into places like Bend if you're into biking and/or beer, alternatively the San Juan islands north of Seattle if you're into Kayaking etc.

Well, it seems prudent to mention right off the bat that I don't drink. I'm more of a city mouse than country, but I'm not averse to getting outdoors by any means; thus Cannon Beach. Sports are a thing with me; thus the Sounders (the Mariners and Timbers are on the road for nearly the whole time I'd be out there, unless I want to book it west and try for a Mariners/Red Sox game basically first thing upon arriving, the Sounders/KC game is the only one that really matches up). Total bookworm; thus Powell's, educational stuff interests me. PAX is a thing I'd have attended by now if it weren't over 1,000 miles away in either direction; thus Card Kingdom (though I don't play MtG). Really, the things already on the list, I'd call a pretty good place to start.

Also, this should be pretty simple to take care of, but I should note I am under standing orders from my mom to bring home souvenir spoons from anywhere I happen to go on a vacation. She collects spoons. I went to Minnesota once, first order of business at the Mall of America was to go 'okay, where are the spoons?'

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    Gosling wrote: »
    schuss wrote: »

Well, it seems prudent to mention right off the bat that I don't drink. I'm more of a city mouse than country, but I'm not averse to getting outdoors by any means; thus Cannon Beach. Sports are a thing with me; thus the Sounders (the Mariners and Timbers are on the road for nearly the whole time I'd be out there, unless I want to book it west and try for a Mariners/Red Sox game basically first thing upon arriving, the Sounders/KC game is the only one that really matches up). Total bookworm; thus Powell's, educational stuff interests me. PAX is a thing I'd have attended by now if it weren't over 1,000 miles away in either direction; thus Card Kingdom (though I don't play MtG). Really, the things already on the list, I'd call a pretty good place to start.

Also, this should be pretty simple to take care of, but I should note I am under standing orders from my mom to bring home souvenir spoons from anywhere I happen to go on a vacation. She collects spoons. I went to Minnesota once, first order of business at the Mall of America was to go 'okay, where are the spoons?'

I would say carve out a bunch of time in both Portland and Seattle to eat and explore. They're both fantastic and somewhat odd cities with tons of good eating and lots of nooks to play around in.
    Portland area:
    Multnomah Falls is right off the highway and spectacular
    Eat a Voodoo Donut (don't go to the one downtown, but the other location)
    Explore
    Seattle:
    Underground Tour is a must
    Aquarium is pretty neat
    Chihouly Museum is really cool
    Experience Music/Sci Fi Museum are cool, but only go if you really love music and history
    Duck tour is cheesy and great
    EAT, so much good food (happy hour is a great way to get 50% off of said food)

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    What's wrong with Voodoo Donut downtown? Been a bit since I went there but never had a problem with it other than crazy long lines during bar hours.

Food carts. I am not up to date on the Seattle scene but Portland is a food cart mecca.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    What's wrong with Voodoo Donut downtown? Been a bit since I went there but never had a problem with it other than crazy long lines during bar hours.

Food carts. I am not up to date on the Seattle scene but Portland is a food cart mecca.

The crazy long lines. It was like an hour and a half for that one and I just walked into the other one.

• BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    This was a hugely helpful thread for me last year, outlining must eat places (and food trucks) for greater Seattle area. Some of it may be getting a bit out dated, but it should still do a great job of directing you where to look.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    The Seattle Pinball Museum is a block away from the International District bus tunnel station (easy walk to downtown or the Ferry) and is fun times. You pay a cover and can play on the machines until your brain melts (it gets pretty loud in there what with all the pinball)

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    So apparently it's 4-6 weeks to have a passport application processed, which means I would have it in time (presuming I get approved, which, I don't see why I wouldn't). But it seems that I will need to figure out a better range of dates to be in Canada than I currently have, because 'planned arrival date' and 'planned departure date' are things on the application.

So, specific things on specific clumped-up dates in that timeframe.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Buh? Where on the application is that? Once you have a passport you can travel back and forth whenever you want to.

Edit: Oh, block 19. You can N/A that. It's just for emergencies.

Quid on
  • hsuhsu Registered User regular
    Quick tip, apply for your passport card at the same time as you apply for your passport book. The card lets you travel to Canada and Mexico by car as well as the Bahamas and Virgin Islands by cruise ship, and fits easily in your wallet just like a credit card, very useful for folks living near a border.

iTNdmYl.png
  • HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    If you're at all interested in submarines, check out The Naval Undersea Museum. You'll have to go to *shudder* Kitsap County, though. If you do end up in Kitsap, check out Silver City Brewery. Good food and they make some awesome beers.

There's also the Puget Sound Navy Museum in Bremerton, but you'd be in Bremerton. Maybe something to pass the time while you're waiting for the ferry.

e: If you end up needing to kill time for the Bremerton ferry, check out Fritz Fry House right outside the ferry terminal. Good stuff.

Handgimp on
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    You don't need a visa to go be in a Canada for a couple weeks, just a passport.

And, I concur, get the card too. It's handy.

I really enjoyed Victoria Island. Lots of cool spots to drive and a wonderful garden. Ferry rates weren't cheap, but it was really a nice spot.

badpoet on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Hey, I'm a Sounders STH. We should meet up before/after/around that SKC game. Anyways, you look like you've got the start of some good plans going.

hsu wrote: »
    Quick tip, apply for your passport card at the same time as you apply for your passport book. The card lets you travel to Canada and Mexico by car as well as the Bahamas and Virgin Islands by cruise ship, and fits easily in your wallet just like a credit card, very useful for folks living near a border.

Oh, that was a no-brainer. I looked at that and went, why WOULDN'T I get both. They're offering both, gimme.

I can totally meet up, Dehumanized; where's your seat? I'll have to try and find one in that part of the park.

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    hsu wrote: »

Oh, that was a no-brainer. I looked at that and went, why WOULDN'T I get both. They're offering both, gimme.

I can totally meet up, Dehumanized; where's your seat? I'll have to try and find one in that part of the park.

I'm in General Admission. It's the rowdy section! :+1:

Dehumanized on
  • HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    South End Zone for Sounders matches!

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Reverend_ChaosReverend_Chaos Suit Up! Spokane WARegistered User regular
    I took a ferry from Port Angeles up to Victoria. There was a bunch of stuff to do within walking distance of my hotel. I highly reccomend it. Then took a ferry over to Vancouver. There is a TON of stuff to do in Seattle depending on your interests. If you are interested in the Seattle Aquarium and Pike Place, I would do that all at once (save on parking costs). I would start at the Aquarium and walk up to Pike Place, and come back down the alley that has the gum wall. Plenty of places in the general vicinity to grab a bite to eat. I would reccomend doing this on a week day to avoid the crowds. You should visit the Space Needle, and possibly the museum's. If you are interested in enough things around Seattle, like the museum's, Space Needle, aquarim etc, you might want to look at getting a City Pass and save some cash.

Word of advice, plan ahead but don't overbook yourself. Have fun!!

“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if it's the right time of year, but when I was out there we went whale watching and it was really cool.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Depending on how long you're spending in Cannon Beach you might want to take a trip down to Tilamook and go tour the Tilamook cheese factory. My family used to camp down by Cannon Beach every summer and the cheese factory was always fun to visit. It's about 40 miles south of Cannon Beach. I want to say that the town of Tilamook had a neat air museum with blimps and stuff but it's been a while since I was there and I could be misremembering.

• CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    ATV Oregon dunes

• DashDDashD Dread Pirate Chef Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    If you are in to museums, MoHI in Seattle and the Royal BC Museum in Victoria are both pretty fantastic.

Also, Woodland Park Zoo.

"Brilliant! Oh wait, if we were meant to fly, we would have been born with little bags of nuts."
    PAX_Badge_Sig.png
    Oh yes. Museums are very much a thing for me. So are bookstores. Literally the first thing I thought of when I added Portland was 'ooh, I can hit up Powell's!'

It gets worse. When I went to Los Angeles a couple years ago one of my top priorities was Book Soup, because I am a broken person.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Oh yes. Museums are very much a thing for me. So are bookstores. Literally the first thing I thought of when I added Portland was 'ooh, I can hit up Powell's!'

It gets worse. When I went to Los Angeles a couple years ago one of my top priorities was Book Soup, because I am a broken person.

Since you'll be going through Missoula, there's a nice little used and new book store there.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    BouwsT wrote: »
    This was a hugely helpful thread for me last year, outlining must eat places (and food trucks) for greater Seattle area. Some of it may be getting a bit out dated, but it should still do a great job of directing you where to look.

The Google Docs list is pretty accurate still, with only Piecora's and The Hurricane being closed, and Aragona having changed their name to Vespolia.

kofz2amsvqm3.png
    edited March 2015
    I think I'm going to hold off on actually buying the Sounders ticket until MLS gets its labor issues worked out; if that drags out all the way to May for some reason, I'd rather not be stuck with a ticket for a strike-cancelled game.

That noted, could any of the Portland crowd say anything about if the underground tours are worth it?

EDIT: MLS has worked out its labor issues; season on; Sounders ticket purchas'd in general admission.

Gosling on