Options

[Offworld Trading Company] New trading RTS by Soren Johnson

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    if you watch sips first recording you'll see that on manager difficulty, you are allowed about 70k debt before things go bad. at 100k debt, sips stock started falling 10cents a share per second. lewis bought it all up, assumed the debt, his stock started going down, which weakened him just enough for pyronflax to buy him out.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    KharnastusKharnastus Registered User regular
    This game is great. The multiplayer function to have closed lobbies to play with friends doesn't seem to work. Anyone got it to work? Also, lets play some offworld trading company tonight?!?!?!

• Options
    KharnastusKharnastus Registered User regular
    Aaaaalso, 8 person games occasionally lag out super hard for me. I have some beefy hardware so I don't think its on my end, maybe network related, maybe host related. I think the multiplayer games are fully hosted on one of the players machines so that might explain the serious lag spikes I see occasionally. Anyone else notice the lag in multiplayer right now?

• Options
    arg... i want to play quill and his peeps. So many missed opportunities

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I can't seem to beat the Scavenger tutorial. Note that all tutorials have the same map and same resources. I always plant my base near the crater with the singular Carbon in it, but I just suck.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    its doable, but its hardly ideal. you need to secure the 3 pip carbon node, the 3 pip aluminum node, the 3 pip water node, and a geo vent

You need to make use of the Black Market alot more in the Scavenger tutorial.
    Look at Underground Nukes. Nukes remove 2 resource pips from a Hex.
    Look at what everyone but you needs to upgrade. Steel made from Iron.
    You kill Iron mines with nukes early enough, you stall their growth because the AI likes to spend all its claims as soon as it gets them.

it should be easy enough from there, but you might want to invest in the engineer lab or patent lab and go from there.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    New update happened. Notably they added a daily game for singleplayer. Everyone plays on the same map and I guess it will aggregate who did the best on it at some point. Still, new map to play every day.

Also, the dry and water condensers and the wind turbines have been increased in yield capacity to make them more appealing, instead of ''make do with it.''

Just finished a round myself. Barely any iron or aluminum on the map at all on the map except for one halfway decent deposit. Decided to go expansion anyways.
    Computer goes scientific and 2 scavengers. I easily kill what aluminum mines they had, stalling the scavengers. Couldn't quite stall the scientific AI.

I raced patents I needed and played the energy game since it was like 235$ a tick. (4 power per second from geotherms will erase about 80K debt in a minute and a half.)
    I was making so much money from power and a Pleasure Dome I didn't realize food was 235$ a tick.

Science player had been pushing food prices through the roof, and bought half the stock of the other AI.

In my genius, I pushed hard and bought the Science AI's stock. Boom. Science AI bought out 1 scavenger, I buy out the Science AI, take all the Science AI's shares and property, and simply spend about 30K on the last scavenger.

Game.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Right then, I'm probably not super pro yet, but I've got a pretty decent handle on this. Have we got a steam group or such set up to facilitate jolly cooperation and/or corporate skullduggery?

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    I don't know if there is enough interest for a steam group, but I'd certainly like to play a few multiplayer rounds

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    I beat all the tutorials, yet I'm still beating my head against a wall:

I guess you could call it cognitive dissonance. I can't wrap my head around the reality that the whole point of the game is that claims are limited and you will never, never, never have every resource you need and I'm rage quitting (solo) thinking I've screwed myself because I grabbed some Essentials but not all of them and some Upgrade requirements but not all of them.

• Options
    yea that can happen. its just something you gotta get used to. Engineer lab stuff, anyone can get. Patents are 1 per person.
    You really gotta decide what you want to invest in, but usually by expansion 3 you can get your fingers into a few pots.

Its important to look at what everyone is building, especially if you see a hacker array somewhere. Chances are, someone is going to cause a short, and you want to exploit their hacker expense.

Tips. Scavengers see what's going to happen with shortages and surpluses. I'd even think they can see hacker manipulations (not the action, but that the market is gonna bump)

Also, last update weakened the underground nuke. Nukes only remove 1pip now. So they've lost half their power. Still viable, but you gotta really target something now to hurt it. Used to be a 3pip goes to 1, or a 2pip or 1pip goes to trace. that was powerful to just outright be able to kill a claim like that. I still nuke, but man, mutinies got *way* more attractive due to that.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Man, I just ran the daily challenge, and may have gone slightly overboard in my domination of the AI. Ended up prolonging the round so as to research all the upgrades because why not.

Also a 7 tile blob of a single building produces a /lot/ of materials, who knew? Sadly forgot to take a picture of the middle building.

Also also it's kind of neat how the unaligned colony in the middle of the map grows on its own based on the market. I started selecting its tiles and it was saying stuff like water price too high, oxygen price too high, food price too high, and such.
    4DH0Czy.jpg
    47wqlCE.jpg

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • Options
    man, glad you had a good time of it. AIs *went* *after* me. Probably because I went scavenger. I pinged south east this game and I saw water, aluminum, carbon, and geotherms and that said. Scavenger. Now. to me.

They nuked my carbon deposits and put carbon mines and shit all around me. Seriously stalled me, but I bought just about every mutiny that came up and placed on carbon mines, save a weird power shortage and I took a solar panel for $25000, but it and my surplus power erased like $75K debt in 30 seconds.

Then expansion decided it wanted rockets, so I dynamited it, emp'd it, sold every last bit of merch I had in the warehouses in a firesale to end all firesales and was able to buy out expansion in its entirety. with a couple pennies to spare. Recoup'ed, scrapped, and rebuilt everything so it was profitable, then bought out the rest of them.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    Probably depends a lot on what AIs you get, the sabotage AI is just a pain if he decides you're doing too well.

• Options
    Doublepost, but I decided to take the campaign for a spin. I like the premise behind it, but I'm not overly fond of the RNG system for between-mission upgrading your structures. Went through an entire campaign and never got a single chance to upgrade my elemental mines past the basic level (which happens to be slightly worse than the non-campaign baseline, from what I was noticing)

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Wait...upgrading structures other than your HQ is a thing?

EDIT-Oh, its a Campaign thing.

Cantido on
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    So yeah... I did the tutorial as scientific, wasn't hard at all. Started a campaign as scientific and got utterly destroyed. How do I scientific? I think I got really lucky during the tutorial. I know Slant Drilling is almost mandatory... but what else?

Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    You need to get into chemicals. Get patents as quick as you can, since that's part of your gimmick. But make your decision. Patents or Engilabs. There isn't enough time to research everything. I'd go Engilabs if you get seriously targeted by nukes, because level 3-4 engi production counteracts a trace node output, but its *expensive*. If its just standard emps, explosions and mutinies, fuck em, get goons and go Patents. You other ability is that you are rather hardened to the black market attacks.

teleportation is pretty good for a scientific, since you are going to be putting factories away from your base, possibly. You want to be connected to all your stuff, and not be waiting for materials to ship to your base then ship back to a factory

also for stuff that requires multiple resources to make like chemicals or electronics, you need to make sure you have mines for multiple supplies. Chemicals it usually works because you have Hydrolysis Crackers providing O2 and Fuel anyways, you just drop it on a carbon node.

Nanotech is another rather useful patent. You need to be ready and willing to tear up factories and place mines down for those times that basic resources are worth more than processed goods. and by having nano, it costs you nothing but time to rip stuff up.

I usually go solar power with scientific because silicon usually is on high plateaus. Place solar panels on those silicon nodes. If power goes dirt cheap, flip to silicon mines and vice versa.

Flexibility is the name of the game.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    That's a lot of micro for a game that isn't supposed to have any.

Robotic is very very easy. All you need is a carbon mine, a silicon mine, lots of iron mines, a few aluminum mines and steel mills and crank out electronics. I usually don't even make any power prouction until level 3 or 4.

• Options
    LadyDustBunnyLadyDustBunny Registered User regular
    This game looks like it will be right up my alley...so excited!

steam_sig.png

Origin: DustBunny777
    3DS: 2836-0103-2102
    M1GZYUT.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Daily map commentary!
    The daily map today had almost no carbon! Slant drilling ftw!

Dyvion on
  • Options
    I would play this on a smartphone. Its not like APM matters.

• Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    I looked at this on Steam and almost bought it. It looked great!

PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    I find myself only wanting to play as Scavenger because fuck Iron and Steel.

I always feel Claim hungry when I'm not scavenger because Steel requires spending two claims minimum. One claim for Iron, and another for the Steel Mill to convert it. Scavenger only needs raw Aluminum and raw Carbon, then they can find the Glass later as every faction needs it.

• Options
    I notice it as well, but its one of those things you gotta weigh along with all the other variables like other players picking scavenger as well. Remember that expansion gets more claims, not to mention less steel for upgrading. I can get to level 3 just as others are hitting 2. Robots don't even have to deal with life support (unless they want to use it for pure profit), and science can just put a factory over it, basically acting like a steel scavenger.

and depending on your location/ore placement you only really need 2 iron mines. that usually translates to 4.5 to 5.5 iron, and making 3 steel factories only consumes 3 iron per tick...

I do admit an affinity for scavenger as well, because aluminum and carbon tie right into electronics.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    I notice it as well, but its one of those things you gotta weigh along with all the other variables like other players picking scavenger as well. Remember that expansion gets more claims, not to mention less steel for upgrading. I can get to level 3 just as others are hitting 2. Robots don't even have to deal with life support (unless they want to use it for pure profit), and science can just put a factory over it, basically acting like a steel scavenger.

and depending on your location/ore placement you only really need 2 iron mines. that usually translates to 4.5 to 5.5 iron, and making 3 steel factories only consumes 3 iron per tick...

I do admit an affinity for scavenger as well, because aluminum and carbon tie right into electronics.

And there's always the matter of not finding Carbon in the map, which is why players survey first and pick their faction second.

• Options
    yea that to. for a while I have been trying to figure out a how to guide for starting a game and what to choose, but literally like 20 things are juggled through my head and constantly updating it in 5-15 seconds

I do try to be that aggressive first placement because there have been a Couple times I screwed everyone out of a resource. But Ive also 'busted' because Some Stupid large deposit was on a map corner. Still kinda works out because I have my deposit and everyone else fights over the other and sabotage each other more by sheer proximity and elbow bumping

I remember Stating that nukes were nerfed. false, I forgot that Science faction reduces Sabotage by 50%. Nukes still hit 2 pips unless you get the hardening patent

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    I think the only rule I can think of about openings is that this is not Civ and that debt is not going to kill you. 4Xers interpret not having Water, Oxygen and Fuel as "starvation" when this is not the case. What good is starting off as Expansion and building Water, Oxygen and Fuel when you have no Aluminum, Iron and Steel to upgrade to the next levels? Water is a must have in the opening, this much is true, but Oxygen and fuel can wait until you get your upgrading metals established. My game improved much more when I put Electrolysis Reactors on hold until Lvl 2.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    I find myself only wanting to play as Scavenger because fuck Iron and Steel.

I always feel Claim hungry when I'm not scavenger because Steel requires spending two claims minimum. One claim for Iron, and another for the Steel Mill to convert it. Scavenger only needs raw Aluminum and raw Carbon, then they can find the Glass later as every faction needs it.

As expansionist I've honestly stopped going for steel in a big way. Most of the time everyone else on the map produces it already so I just find a big lump of iron or aluminum and dump down on it to secure early building materials. If I dump down on iron then I put a steel mill down that I'll usually transition into food or glass by tier two.

Unless there's more than one scavenger in your game everyone is usually so keen to rush steel that it's actually not super expensive. I've had it go all the way down to 20$'s in some matches.

• Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    Reading this thread, I've been convinced to purchase this... Damn you all, but this game sounds like it satisfies my niche for a macro-econ game of sabotage.

PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    It's stupid simple to learn, but coming up with strategies and knowing when to execute them while playing against other players, even AI won't get old. It's like a next.gen board game and I love it.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    StuffGuyStuffGuy Registered User regular
    I never see games up when I go to play online, am I bugged/having firewall issues or is it really that deserted?

• Options
    it is that deserted sometimes unfortunately...

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    Oh hey, this got a patch today, and my fav HQ got a boost.

"Robotic players now get adjacency bonus if they put secondary buildings next to primary ones. (A steel mill next to an iron mine, for example)"

They also eat electronics twice as fast now, but that's manageable.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Looks like a good game but Early Access has bitten me before so I'm going to hold off on buying this until it goes live or close to it or has some ridiculous sale. Hard to resist on an economic/resource based RTS though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »

"Robotic players now get adjacency bonus if they put secondary buildings next to primary ones. (A steel mill next to an iron mine, for example)"

Wow, thats interesting. They will also be more Power starved. I wonder how it works when you are producing advanced materials that come from multuple buildings.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »
    Looks like a good game but Early Access has bitten me before so I'm going to hold off on buying this until it goes live or close to it or has some ridiculous sale. Hard to resist on an economic/resource based RTS though.

I understand your hesitancy. I will say, however, this is a full game. You aren't buying into a nebulous concept of a game.

• Options
    Cantido wrote: »
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »

Wow, thats interesting. They will also be more Power starved. I wonder how it works when you are producing advanced materials that come from multuple buildings.

Did a test game, it seems to work fairly well, and it's important to note that the adjacency bonus only goes one way. A robotic steel mill next to an iron mine will get the 50% bonus, but the iron mine will still work at base rate. As for from multiple buildings, I suspect that all of the supplying buildings will be eligible for providing the bonus, but I didn't try setting up any such combinations to confirm.

• Options
    Been playing around with the campaign mode some more, the RNG nature of the hiring pool can be a real bear. My current run, using Scientific (which is pretty amazing in campaign mode, you start every mission with a patent lab, and can generally sell off enough starting resources to get teleportation researching right out of the gate), and it took me something like 3 missions before the hiring pool finally gave me a metal mine engineer so I could actually mine aluminum instead of having to pay out the nose for it to upgrade my HQ.

• Options
    MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    I really think this game is not getting as much screen time (or should it be webpage time?) as it should. It's pretty awesome and there's nothing like it out there. A real pity.

Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.