Options

[Offworld Trading Company] New trading RTS by Soren Johnson

• Options
    IslandDogIslandDog Registered User regular
    The release date was announced today. Offworld Trading Company will be releasing on April 28th! :)

• Options
    Soren Johnson’s Offworld Trading Company releases today!

https://youtu.be/wOjeepczC6g
    Earn Your Fortune
    Join other hopeful business savvies and head to Mars, the next great frontier! Rekindle humanity's adventurous spirit by leaving Earth behind and starting up a major corporation to seek your fortune.

Thwart the Competition
    No one said that corporate war was fair! Sneak in some underhanded attacks against your opponents by hiring pirates from the black market to steal hard-earned goods. Feeling particularly mischievous? Send a spy with a device to trigger an electromagnetic pulse to disrupt their business plans!

Turn Friends into Frenemies
    Experience new adventure in multiplayer mode! With games that can host up to 8 players, no two experiences will be the same. Strategy is key, and tenuous alliances between rivals are easily broken when the opportunity arises.

Control the Market
    Fight your battles with wit, not weapons! The real-time player driven market is your sword and your shield here. In order to win, you will need to make tough choices on what resources to acquire, what goods to build and sell, how to interact with the planet's thriving underworld, and what stocks to acquire and when.

Shape Mars' Fate
    Establish yourself as the dominant Offworld Company in the dynamic campaign, unique each time you play! Four big businesses, each with their own abilities and traits, are vying for all of the resources and control on Mars. Learn about what brought them there and how they intend to drive their competition into the ground and come out on top.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    I want to say that there has been a pretty big facelift with the single player campaign.
    They introduced 9 CEOs with different starting patents and building supervisors. (Two CEOs per Company type and a 9th that can choose any type)

They also tightened up the gameplay a bit so its harder to get into all the resource markets, but its doable if you are lucky and smart. They turned water ice and dry ice condensors into a single building so that's useful. Still depends on the type of ice you drop it on.

Also, there are more black market effects for purchase, and fitting with every game being a bit different due to resource distribution, there are different black market effects every game as well.

if you haven't seen this, or you were on the fence about it, I'd say its worth your dollar. I'm having fun with the single player and maybe when I'm finally a local driver, I'll be able to host a few multiplayer games.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I don't play singleplayer but this is a rad game that any strategy fan should own. It's basically an economic board game played out in real time. It scales really well from casual 8 player chuckle fests that you can chat while taking part in down to one on one battles of stabbing eachother with the black market and desperately trying to eek out just a small period of clear economic dominance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPm4fmp4n4U

Is a pretty damn rad match with some crazy stuff:
    Like teleportation selling for 80,000$'s worth of debt.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I need to study this game better so that I can better deal without opening with the early game shit. In other words, I know how to claim tiles and such but I don't know how to work the market so I can compensate for such situations.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I don't play singleplayer but this is a rad game that any strategy fan should own. It's basically an economic board game played out in real time. It scales really well from casual 8 player chuckle fests that you can chat while taking part in down to one on one battles of stabbing eachother with the black market and desperately trying to eek out just a small period of clear economic dominance.

Is a pretty damn rad match with some crazy stuff:
    Like teleportation selling for 80,000$'s worth of debt.

that was a good one for awins to push up the debt on. It would have won him the game if he didn't spread out like he had.
    sir rogers had *just* put down glass kilns and so he had to deal with the huge fuel cost associated with putting kilns down in the middle of fucking nowhere, along with the threat of pirates, emps, and I think a mag storm on their black market list there.

a scientist with teleportation and thinking machines is a very tough nut to crack.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I had insomnia last night and was bored and bought this game.

It's pretty good

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    So if I open with Water and Aluminum and I can't find Iron (and this is just one example,) or missing more of the beginning required resources, what sort of things am I supposed to do to compensate?

Cantido on
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I have found that food will basically always make you enough money to upgrade your base if you can't supply everything for yourself.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    Your main construction resource is a big factor in making claims. You not only use it for upgrading, but for building your processing facilities and power generators too.

That said, if you can lock up an entire resource and are able to fully exploit it, do it. I wouldn't recommend it with aluminum though...

Aluminum is used for upgrades, but I've only ever needed one 3-pip or two 2-pip mines in an entire game, even then, its always tanked to pennies per ton. Its more relevant in the campaign because habitat modules require 100 each and colonies are 1/2 habs, 1/2 everything else.

When you have it, there's too much of it and when you don't there's not enough.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    Patch 1 for OTC was released with some new features and quite a few other updates and improvements.

Full changelog: http://forums.offworldgame.com/477335/

New Features
    • Audio overhaul. Tons of new voice over and sound fx.
    • Improved performance and reduced memory use.
    • Using a Core Sample will now give you exclusive rights to claim the tile for 60 secs.
    • Double clicking on the "Open Lobby" now creates a default lobby just like clicking on the Join Lobby button when the Open Lobby is selected.
    • Players can new set which monitor they want the game to use in options.
    • Updates for Portuguese, French, German, Polish, Russian, Spanish, Chinese and Korean languages.

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    New voices! Now how will I know what Microsoft Sam's opinion on pirates is?

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Tycho got some time in with Sorenson (creator) and its archived in twitch here.

https://www.twitch.tv/pennyarcade/v/64545718[/quote]

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    Tycho got some time in with Sorenson (creator) and its archived in twitch here.

https://www.twitch.tv/pennyarcade/v/64545718
    [/quote]

Just what I need.

I'm playing this for the first time in months, I have no idea what I'm doing and I'm too fascinated to care.

Fucking money, man.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    The thing I picked up from that stream is you have to be aggressive at the Manager+ difficulties or vs other humans and I always have a problem with that since my default is to turtle up, build my base and then try to conquer/take over my opponents. The constant shifting of min/max production that seems to be necessary goes against the grain so I am not sure how much life this will have. The campaign is a neat concept though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    look at it this way. spending 1.5k to hurt another company is basically injecting yourself with 1.5k of opportunity. you are that much ahead of them now when the effect wears off.
    bonus if you can nuke a needed resource like carbon, iron or aluminum in the early stages of the game. can't make the bulk material needed to level up so... can't make the money with new claims, or nuke water and now they are debt spiraling out of life support control... thus making them say ''fuck it'' to their debt which really means just buy them out.

One new patent I found I *love* is Financial Instruments. You get 25% of the debt of every other player as straight income to you, whenever it ticks over the new day for debt payments.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    had some fun games with @Albino Bunny and @Blue map the other day.

the first game, I got bought out from an amalgamation of being too aggressive and those two colluding at an inopportune moment when I got my hands on a good patent. I was in debt for 70k from the purchase, which knocked my stocks down enough for them to pool together to blitz me out. had I had another 5seconds, I could have staved it off with a 50% controlling lock on my stocks which would have allowed me to roll back my debt from the absurd price that power was going for. ce la vi...

next couple of games, albino and I conceded a couple due to weird resource shortages or accidentally picking the wrong company to work from. really bad when you make a *LOT* of steel and find out you were scavenger...

then we had a couple good 1v1s. If they read the thread, they'd have known what kind of player they were in for :P

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    I mean, honestly I think in an FFA environment there's not a single patent worth taking 70K in debt for unless you're already winning and it's a game changer (like teleportation in a water poor map).

Even in a 1v1 the only additional caveat I'd add is if you're confident of being able to win quickly off the back of it.

• Options
    maybe im too used to the computers then.

I take 70k debt easily against them and in about a couple minutes I got the revenue to pay off the debt. against players... they smell opportunity :P

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    Yeah, I mean the issue with trying to make any statement about how to play Offworld is they have to come with several pages of footnotes starting with the phrase 'but not when'.

I tend to be super debt averse in my play style though. It's why you usually see me grabbing the essentials pretty early and having a mid game that likes to just rotate between food, water and oxygen production.

Honestly the patent that refunds you the cost of stuff on destruction feels like something I should pursue way harder. Especially as I usually have a geothermal sitting around.

• Options
    yea. also, I need to dig and read up on all the patents and black market tricks again.

there are some patents in there that got a definite face lift in their utility like water engine and cold fusion.
    I used to be super against them because they permanently flipped you to using water. so if power or fuel bottomed out, you were stuck using $100 water.

now they choose which ever is cheaper and that can be a strategy to build around.

I still wish they'd figure out what to do with aluminum still. Its super relevant in the campaign because you use 100 aluminum per habitat module on top of your own upgrades, but in multiplayer, it becomes worthless late game and you gotta hope you were near it to be able to transform it into something else useful on your claim or just let it keep gathering out in the sticks.

I wonder if it might be worth to make a multiplayer game type similar to the campaign. instead of buying out your opponent, you try to increase your shares in the colony. I'd like to see it played by people, but I know there is the potential for runaway games because that's how I crush the computers.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    Aluminum is used in some stuff towards the late game like electronics and so on but yeah. I think it'd be neat if aluminum was a cost to launch an offworld shipment.

• Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    Can you name your cooperation?

• Options
    I wish. its always Mr Snappy in campaign.

I'd take KhrossWerks in a heartbeat

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    New Map Toolkit DLC is out today for Offworld Trading Company. :)

Info: http://forums.offworldgame.com/477942/
    New Map Editing Tool
    Design and create your own Martian landscapes with looming plateaus, deep craters, and more

New Maps
    Enjoy several new maps based on real Martian locations, perfect for getting you started with editing your own

New Campaign Locations
    Explore new maps that work with the "real Mars maps" option, now incorporated into the campaign

• Options
    The Ceres Initiative DLC for Offworld Trading Company is out today. :)

More info: http://forums.offworldgame.com/478998/
    Features
    New Location: Ceres - The largest asteroid in the asteroid belt, Ceres presents great challenges to colonization with its vast spans of ice and rock. Enjoy some new scenery as you crush your competition to remain on top of the stock market.

New Building: Nuclear Power Plant - The new power plant is an excellent source of energy for your colony and can be built on any tile. This building is powered by Uranium and is only available on Ceres.

New Challenge: Depleting Resources - On Ceres, resources deplete as they are used. Over time, your plots will start to decrease and you will need to be on the lookout for new resource points since even the best of them won't last forever.

New Resource: Uranium - Only available on Ceres, this mineable resource provides power to Power Plants and is just one more way to manipulate the stock market in your favor.

New Patent: Liquid Batteries - This new patent could be critical to the success of your colony on Ceres. Liquid Batteries will allow you to keep your Solar Condenser running no matter what time of the day it is, collecting valuable water so you can keep your operations running smoothly.

• Options
    The Patron and The Patriot DLC is out today for OTC.

Lots of info here: http://forums.offworldgame.com/480251

Features:
    • Colony Class - Each colony now specializes in one area of the economy, altering local market conditions in a variety of ways.
    • Campaign Length - The campaign tournament can now last for 4, 7, or 10 games. Each length comes with its own balance tweaks and gameplay subtleties.
    • Wholesale Orders game mode - Not all colonies want you to build habitats and work modules for them. Now some instead want your company to supply a variety of wholesale goods.
    • Two new Characters - New CEOs with new gameplay perks.
    • Story-Driven Campaigns - Six interactive short stories about life on Mars, available to experience through playing the new characters on each different length of campaign.
    • New Staffing Perks & New Achievements

Patron_and_the_Patriot_10Day_Campaign-1.png

• Options
    Steam Workshop support in Offworld Trading Company!

With this update:
    • Modding xml data for buildings, units, resources, and more
    • Writing your own C# code that can execute alongside the game's code
    • Accessing Steam Workshop easily through the game
    • Easy access to your work with a new "Mods" screen on the Start menu
    • Downloading other game mods from around the world
    More info can be found here: http://forums.offworldgame.com/480908

The game is also 66% off through the weekend. :)

Workshop_EndlessLaunches.png

• Options
    The Blue Chip Ventures DLC is available today!

Info: http://forums.offworldgame.com/481268/New-DLC-Blue-Chip-Ventures-is-Now-Available

Learn valuable management skills and become a better executive by undertaking a unique scenario from one of these different categories:
    • Supply and Demand: They want it? You’ve got it. Focus on monopolizing resources and learn the right times to shift your focus to keep yourself ahead of your competition.
    • Play Well With Others: Can’t we all just get along? Focus on how best to handle your opponents - and also how to work well on a team with your allies to seal your victory.
    • Long-Term Planning: You’re in it for the long haul! Deal with debt strategies and turn around a losing game through careful planning.
    • Challenge: Playtime is over! These scenarios will force you to take all of the concepts you’ve learned and execute them flawlessly in order to win.
    Trailer: https://youtu.be/uUJgonPqUK4

• Options
    The Jupiter's Forge expansion was announced today!

Announcement trailer: https://youtu.be/Qo7dS9q7iMc

• Options
    MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    Damn, gonna have to get that expansion. Look sweet as hell.

Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
  • Options
    Id like to get a few multiplayer games of this in again.

Ive been playing so many action games like for honor, and persona 5 and others i got the economic itch again.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    Thrive on the Volcanic Moon of Io and Crush your Competition in Jupiter's Forge, available today!

https://youtu.be/d1EbK-gdVD4

• Options
    Conspicuous Consumption DLC was released today and brings cosmetic upgrades for advanced buildings with custom art, animations, and audio lines.

More info: https://forums.offworldgame.com/484821

https://youtu.be/I7-HgtCnMVE

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    That reminds me of the game afterlife, where one of the hell buildings was a big rubik's cube.

• Options
    The new Limited Supply DLC is available today which lets you play over a dozen unique and challenging scenarios about humanity's settling of Mars and aid the growing colonies to ensure their futures.

Details here: https://forums.offworldgame.com/486456/

https://youtu.be/FrzmtVZhZN8

• Options
    Oh it is a dlc. For some reason i had it stuck in my head that it was a game+all dlc bundle

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    ObiwanShenobiObiwanShenobi Registered User regular
    This is free to play this weekend on Steam. Anyone going to play it this weekend?

• Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    I picked it up for free play. Got through the intros, but lost my first 2 skirmish. First I noted that the AI grabbed all the high resource hexes even if they were across the map from their base while I got stalled because I was working with what was close by.

The second one I didn't notice that energy/fuel (whichever it costs you when you build far away) prices were through the roof, so when I built far away I quickly went into debt and could recover.

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    Yea, you gotta be careful of your expenditure, it can really spiral out of control, and the game doesnt make autopayments on your debt (save through auto paying power surplus).

Just making sure you are debt neutral is one of the first things to do in the opening of the game, but you also need to be able to build onto the colony too.

One obvious combo is to build domes that use lots of power and then start selling power. Doable, but volatile if someone else wants a piece of the power pie and they surplus way over demand.

a4irovn5uqjp.png