Options

The Superhero Thread (Trial Pending) [Superheroes]

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Behind this mask is another mask

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    what if spider-man kills zod and then has to learn that killing is wrong?

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    have Spider-Man take off his mask numerous times throughout the movie but have the camera cut away each time, showing only different parts of the face very briefly, a different actor for every face shot

Veldrin on
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    UnknownComic.jpg

wait a second.

CI_81471_1374302897.jpg

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    they should at least not reveal spider-man's casting until his unmasking in the civil war

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    He takes off his mask and omg it's Disney's Piglet.

Suprise you guys got Spider-Ham.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    have si spurrier and ben templesmith ever worked together?

those two on a 1602 book would be like, my platonic ideal of a comic book

Crimson King on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    If they do miles first a ton of people are going to be like what, that's not Spider-Man. It's not like he's a widely known character.
    You're not wrong

but they could also just say "He's a different Spider-Man and here's why he is rad"

like I agree Peter is the way easier, far more likely option

but Miles is absolutely doable without Peter existing first

See, a lot of this is based on anecdotal evidence that's going to differ greatly from person to person

You might know more people who would accept it than wouldn't, but if I gathered together my peers and told them, well you see it's a different Spider-Man but he's still really cool, most of them are going to throw up their hands and say well what's the point then?

In large part because Peter Parker is a known quantity that they'll have some connection to already, while nobody knows who Miles is, coupled with a perception that stuff that happens or originates in an alternate universe is inherently secondary or of no consequence (assuming they even know or care what the Ultimate universe is)

Anyway I'm going to make my own generalization here that most people are excited for this because they get to see the Spider-Man they know palling around with the Avengers, and if it turns out not to be their Spidey they're gonna have a hard time swallowing it

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I really, really hope we are getting a 1602 book

it was one of the first comics I ever read and I fucking adore that book

1602 Nick Fury is still my favorite version of the character

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    now that spider-man's hit the big time palling around the world with avengers east someone's got to still be the friendly neighborhood spider-man

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I'm not saying you can't have Miles, I'm just saying I think it's necessary, or at least highly advisable, to have Peter first

• Options
    my actual ideal comic book is garth ennis and frank quitely on harley quinn but you take what you can get

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    If they do miles first a ton of people are going to be like what, that's not Spider-Man. It's not like he's a widely known character.
    You're not wrong

but they could also just say "He's a different Spider-Man and here's why he is rad"

like I agree Peter is the way easier, far more likely option

but Miles is absolutely doable without Peter existing first

See, a lot of this is based on anecdotal evidence that's going to differ greatly from person to person

You might know more people who would accept it than wouldn't, but if I gathered together my peers and told them, well you see it's a different Spider-Man but he's still really cool, most of them are going to throw up their hands and say well what's the point then?

In large part because Peter Parker is a known quantity that they'll have some connection to already, while nobody knows who Miles is, coupled with a perception that stuff that happens or originates in an alternate universe is inherently secondary or of no consequence (assuming they even know or care what the Ultimate universe is)

Anyway I'm going to make my own generalization here that most people are excited for this because they get to see the Spider-Man they know palling around with the Avengers, and if it turns out not to be their Spidey they're gonna have a hard time swallowing it
    I agree?

Like, that's why I said Peter is the way easier option

but it isn't impossible to have Miles be the only Spider-Man in a universe and introduce him as a cool, unique character via Civil War before his own movie

it's totally gonna be Peter, but Miles doesn't require Peter Parker dying to be an interesting character that could be introduced to audiences

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I don't know I do think a lot of miles is him trying to live up to an established legacy

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    He takes off his mask and omg it's Disney's Piglet.

Suprise you guys got Spider-Ham.
    And then Ursa Major is all like:

"Hello, Piglet"

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    I kinda feel like it'll make infinity money whoever they cast as whichever Spider-Man they choose. Just for the graces of combining two mega franchises into one.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    which, you know, has metafictional elements in miles proving himself worthy of headlining the spider-man movie franchise

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    I don't know I do think a lot of miles is him trying to live up to an established legacy
    Not really

like, the big defining moment for Miles after the time-skip was when Aunt May gave him Peter's webshooters and said "Don't try and be Peter Parker, be Miles Morales"

his whole core is that he is honoring Peter's legacy but being his own man

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Not really

like, the big defining moment for Miles after the time-skip was when Aunt May gave him Peter's webshooters and said "Don't try and be Peter Parker, be Miles Morales"

That defining moment requires that prior setup though

The moment where he learns he needs to be his own person doesn't come without him trying to live up to someone else's example

• Options
    Whaddya bet that Tony Stark makes the webshooters in this one anyways.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Not really

That defining moment requires that prior setup though

The moment where he learns he needs to be his own person doesn't come without him trying to live up to someone else's example
    For Ultimate Miles, yes

for MCU Miles who doesn't need to follow the same story arc that his comic character has, not really!

Like I absolutely agree Peter is the far easier, more likely, and mass-appealing option and one I am in favor of

literally all I am saying is that Miles Morales is a strong enough character to hypothetically be the only Spider-Man in the MCU and do fine

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

That would be terrible

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »

That would be terrible
    Yeah, Peter building his own web-shooters is an absolute must

dude is a genius for a reason

that's one of my complaints with ASM, while he does build his own web-shooters (albeit via repurposed Oscorp tech), his other big SCIENCE GENIUS moment is stolen from his dad's notebook and he takes credit for it

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    peter parker orders web fluid from starkindustries.com

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    some of the best Spider-Man and Iron Man moments are Tony seeing the gadgets Spider-Man makes and being super impressed by them and realizing that Spider-Man is kind of a genius

• Options
    i don't really need peter parker to be a science genius

what, the marvel universe doesn't have enough science geniuses already?

he is much more interesting to me as a dedicated photographer

• Options
    Tony Stark sitting back looking for ideas on how to get all the young guns into the Pro-Registration side.

He flips on the X-Games.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Does the CW post new episodes at midnight? I would like to watch The Flash before bed.

• Options
    i don't really need peter parker to be a science genius

what, the marvel universe doesn't have enough science geniuses already?

he is much more interesting to me as a dedicated photographer

Right, but hes a science genius who love photography more then building gizmos.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Parker doesn't need to be a science genius, he just needs to be a clever enough engineer

• Options
    yeah if tony stark is your 10 I am pretty okay with peter being like a 6 or 7

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    Parker doesn't need to be a science genius, he just needs to be a clever enough engineer
    Which still means he should build his own web shooters

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    He finds an unnaturally gifted skateboarder who literally has his feet stuck to the board. Jumps really high. NEVER BEEFS.

Stark walks up. Oh shit the MAN. The skateboarder runs. Free-runs to be exact. Really well like jumping spider good. He's barking mad. Like barking spider mad.

But he is cornered by Iron Man hovering in front of him.

"But have you ever thought about boarding the sky Mr. Parker*."

He hands him the webshooters.

*note can we name him Peter Parkour?

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Peter strikes me as more of a "messy" genius than the other heroes that are traditionally considered science geniuses

Like, whereas Reed or Tony could build some super science machine to get the job done, Peter relies more on on the spot ingenuity

• Options
    Personally I feel that a Peter should exist as Spider-man before Miles takes up the role, but that's just because I'm a huge fan at how it played out in the comics.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I really, really hope we are getting a 1602 book

it was one of the first comics I ever read and I fucking adore that book

1602 Nick Fury is still my favorite version of the character

1602 Nick Fury is my number 2 favorite Nick Fury

number 1 is Secret Warriors Nick Fury

• Options
    Latest Flash
    Damn it Iris, don't do this to Barry. Also Joe get some of that.

• Options
    ha ha damn Cisco
    Your face is going to be so red when it turns out Well's actually did do it

This discussion has been closed.