Options

The Superhero Thread (Trial Pending) [Superheroes]

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015

Hi corporatelogo

a similar article was already posted and we had a big discussion/fight about it already

thanks anyway though
    http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/its-official-marvel-gets-to-borrow-spider-man-now-what/

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    SPIDERVERSE_1.jpg?1423680796
    By Mike Costa and Andre Arujao

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    I was thinking that I have less than 0 interest to see Peter in a movie again if they put him back in High School, but I'd go see that movie for sure if it was Miles and his supporting cast instead.

And that kind of makes me worried that Cap 3 is going to be overstuffed and that the potential addition of early-days Peter, who audiences might honestly just be exhausted with at this point, could really be a breaking point.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    We had two movies of Peter in high school (One of which will be 14 years old by the time Civil War hits!). I'm not exactly sure why people should be exhausted here.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    nah

The Spider-Man movies have barely touched on high school Peter

He's graduated like 30 minutes into Spider-Man and graduated at the very beginning of ASM 2

There have been more movies about adult/college age Peter than young Peter

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I've never gotten that either

the vast, VAST majority of peter parker media is when he's in college or older

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I have a feeling Panther will probably not have as significant a part in Civil War if they're going to give Spidey his original role back.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    We had two movies of Peter in high school (One of which will be 14 years old by the time Civil War hits!). I'm not exactly sure why people should be exhausted here.
    Spider-Man wasn't even about him in high school! He's a college aged adult for most of the movie

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Could be exhaustion of Spider-Man or Peter Parker in general?

I mean on my end they'll have to do something really special to excite me about a sixth Spider-Man movie.

And dude was always my favorite hero.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    It honestly doesn't make a difference whether he is in high school or college to me.

Movie high school and movie college end up being pretty much the same thing half the time anyways.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    so is Secret Wars: Spider-Verse tied to a particular zone, I wonder? it doesn't sound like it, but Costa's being kind of cagey. it could be either Spider-Land or Arachnia if so.

http://www.nerdist.com/2015/02/exclusive-mike-costa-talks-spider-verse-marvels-new-secret-wars-tie-in-series/

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    I think part of the "exhaustion" with Peter as Spider-Man is that both the original and reboot basically covered the same ground.

I think that when people say they are tired of Spider-Man movies, they mean that they are tired of seeing the nerd get bitten by a spider and watching Uncle Ben die.

Skipping the origin should really help tell a better story.

• Options
    Gustav wrote: »
    Could be exhaustion of Spider-Man or Peter Parker in general?

I mean on my end they'll have to do something really special to excite me about a sixth Spider-Man movie.

And dude was always my favorite hero.
    Eh, people are only tired of bad Spider-Man movies

The superhero movie industry is stronger than ever, if Spider-Man is good people will go see it

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I dunno if it even needs to be good for them to see it!

Which is why I'd love for them to do something new with it.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Its basically DC going "Remember all of these good stories we did once?" and then dropping trow and crapping all over them.

Did DC learn nothing from The Dark Knight Strikes Again?

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    (Spider-Man 2 is still good)

• Options
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Its basically DC going "Remember all of these good stories we did once?" and then dropping trow and crapping all over them.

Did DC learn nothing from The Dark Knight Strikes Again?

Given there's talk of letting Frank Miller make a second sequel to Dark Knight Returns, I'd say that's a resounding "No' no they haven't."

• Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    (((Except for any scene with aunt may or mj)))

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    FAQ wrote: »
    (((Except for any scene with aunt may or mj)))

Unless it's Aunt May and Doc Ock.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Peter was in high school for thirtyish issues in ASM

Which on its own is a long time

Next to the other six hundred and seventy issues it is a drop in the bucket though

And even then when people think of classic Spider-Man, they're mostly thinking of his college years. He didn't even meet Harry and Gwen until college.

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    Hey I finished Arrow season 2 last night in a back-to-back-to-back episode marathon. It was really good.
    One complaint is that Roy didn't get to do much until the last episode. But he got to be heroic a bit. And then he RUINED IT WITH THEA WHY ROY NOOOOOO BE HONEST WITH HER :C :C :C

I also really hoped that as soon as Merlin was back, he'd team up with Ollie to put Slade down. But even he was kinda just... there. Bit disappointing. Though I guess he's got Thea under his wing now so that's intriguing.

And Ollicity, anyone? Agh, so cute. The tension is real.

Isabelle's mask was really fucking stupid looking, good grief. And damn, that sure isn't the last we'll see of Slade I imagine!

So anybody have legitimate means for Canada-land people to catch up on season 3 and The Flash sans television?

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Calica wrote: »
    I'm actually not that impressed with the LEGO Helicarrier. For as big as it is, I wish it had more/better interiors than just the super cramped command deck bit. It looks like there's a big open space reserved for the optional power pack, which kinda sucks.

Like, the LEGO Millennium Falcon is half that size, and the inside manages to have most of the Falcon interior bits we see in the movies, while still being open enough to maneuver in there without knocking pieces off.

The UCS Falcon has no interior. The System Falcon is much smaller than a Helicarrier so it lends itself better to having an interior that fit minifigures. They basically created an entirely new scale of figures just for the Helicarrier. The fact that it has an interior at all for that new scale is amazing.

If someone doesn't want the power functions, it would be very easy to add in some more interior in that space like the lab. Assuming people can design interiors for that tiny a figure that doesn't look out of scale.
    I realize the Falcon is a lot smaller in "real" terms, but it just seems like there's a lot of wasted space inside the Helicarrier, like it's a big box with nothing much inside it. There's nothing there that makes me excited to build it.

Edit: the System Falcon, yeah, not the UCS one.

Calica on
  • Options
    FAQ wrote: »
    (Spider-Man 2 is still good)

every time I watch Spider-Man 2 I got more frustrated with Tobey Maguire

• Options
    I just want to know who the symbiote bonds with after Spider-Gwen gets rid of it.

• Options
    Marathon wrote: »
    I think part of the "exhaustion" with Peter as Spider-Man is that both the original and reboot basically covered the same ground.

I think that when people say they are tired of Spider-Man movies, they mean that they are tired of seeing the nerd get bitten by a spider and watching Uncle Ben die.

It's totally this. Going back to high school, whether or not they redo his origin, feels like backtracking.

The superhero movies that have been successful mostly have the same sense of continuing progress that the comics do. The Nolan Bat-movies were so tonally and narratively different from their predecessors that the franchise felt new again, and Warner seems to be carefully avoiding returning to a Batman in his prime for the near future, even though Batman v. Superman will be recapping his origin again to some degree. To see a Spider-Man that feels like he's start/stoping over and over could easily drive audiences away. Keep in mind that ASM 1 did middling business as well, even before the second one flopped hard.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    I just want to know who the symbiote bonds with after Spider-Gwen gets rid of it.

MJ. and then... well, I'll have to check my fanfic.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    They should just have him be a photographer for the Bugle. I feel like that's what most people know Peter Parker as anyway. He could end up having a fairly major part in Civil War, but out of costume. Every time Tony Stark has to deal with the media, there's Parker again.

"How are you always the first on the scene, Parker? Didn't you get all those Spider-Man pictures as well?"
    "Oh, I... get around."

And then the stinger is Nick Fury doing the Ultimates/Iron Man 1 "I've got my eye on you... Spider-Man".

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I was actually thinking that part of the symbiote storyline would be the band breaking up, because loud noises so the symbiote makes Gwen drive a wedge between herself and MJ. Then some science nerd in her universe figures out what's going on and they use the Power of Rock™ to break the connection to the symbiote.

Then maybe it bonds with, like, I don't know. Jessica Drew? The other Spider-Woman? Black Cat maybe?!

• Options
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

It's totally this. Going back to high school, whether or not they redo his origin, feels like backtracking.

The superhero movies that have been successful mostly have the same sense of continuing progress that the comics do. The Nolan Bat-movies were so tonally and narratively different from their predecessors that the franchise felt new again, and Warner seems to be carefully avoiding returning to a Batman in his prime for the near future, even though Batman v. Superman will be recapping his origin again to some degree. To see a Spider-Man that feels like he's start/stoping over and over could easily drive audiences away. Keep in mind that ASM 1 did middling business as well, even before the second one flopped hard.

The second one made $700 million. That's not a hard flop at all.

• Options

I was actually thinking that part of the symbiote storyline would be the band breaking up, because loud noises so the symbiote makes Gwen drive a wedge between herself and MJ. Then some science nerd in her universe figures out what's going on and they use the Power of Rock™ to break the connection to the symbiote.

Then maybe it bonds with, like, I don't know. Jessica Drew? The other Spider-Woman? Black Cat maybe?!

Betty Brant.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

The second one made $700 million. That's not a hard flop at all.

Word on the Street is actually that yes, it was, due to marketing and budget costs.

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    David_T wrote: »

Betty Brant.

Night Nurse

Mego Thor on
    kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

jesus christ will this never end?

• Options
    I'm reminded of the episode of Earth's Mightiest Heroes where Peter shows up

the best part is when Hawkeye is like "What are you, twelve?"

• Options
    David_T wrote: »

Betty Brant.

Yessssssss blames Gwen for Parker's death. Goes nuts. Gains symbiote.

Who do we need to tweet this at?!

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Spectacular Spider-Man featured Peter Parker in high school and it was the best Spider-Man thing, so I don't know what people are complaining about.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Keith wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »

jesus christ will this never end?

look on the bright side

it's not being written by Slott

• Options
    On a slightly different note, although I've got some catch up work to do before class in a couple hours, I managed to read Gillen's Vader #1.

What'd you guys think? I'm not sure how I felt about it.

I normally like Larocca a lot, but he doesn't really work as well for close-quarters action scenes or non-humans. Gillen's script felt a little bit off, but he's juggling a ton of stuff, and there are a bunch of open threads from the prequels and the space between III and IV that he's playing with.

I'm intrigued by all the stuff he's setting up, though, and by how closely tied to Aaron's series this is. I'll keep reading.

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    So I just got caught up on the Spider-Verse event thanks to my buddy

Good. Fuckin'. Lord. It's all nonsense.

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I spent a half an hour reading up on it via Wikipedia and I kind of regret that. Can't imagine how Spidey subscribers must feel.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

This discussion has been closed.