Options

The Superhero Thread (Trial Pending) [Superheroes]

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Marathon wrote: »
    I think part of the "exhaustion" with Peter as Spider-Man is that both the original and reboot basically covered the same ground.

I think that when people say they are tired of Spider-Man movies, they mean that they are tired of seeing the nerd get bitten by a spider and watching Uncle Ben die.

Skipping the origin should really help tell a better story.

It's totally this. Going back to high school, whether or not they redo his origin, feels like backtracking.

The superhero movies that have been successful mostly have the same sense of continuing progress that the comics do. The Nolan Bat-movies were so tonally and narratively different from their predecessors that the franchise felt new again, and Warner seems to be carefully avoiding returning to a Batman in his prime for the near future, even though Batman v. Superman will be recapping his origin again to some degree. To see a Spider-Man that feels like he's start/stoping over and over could easily drive audiences away. Keep in mind that ASM 1 did middling business as well, even before the second one flopped hard.

The second one made $700 million. That's not a hard flop at all.

Word on the Street is actually that yes, it was, due to marketing and budget costs.

I think we're using different definitions of "flop" then. IMO, a flop is a movie nobody goes to see; not a movie that winds up with a negative profit due to overspending on marketing, which isn't any fault of the movie itself.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Advertising estimates for ASM2 were pretty preposterously huge, to the extent that you could say ASM2 didn't do well, even if it wasn't a flop. It's also practically unheard of for sequels for major films to do worse than the first film.

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    I think part of the "exhaustion" with Peter as Spider-Man is that both the original and reboot basically covered the same ground.

I think that when people say they are tired of Spider-Man movies, they mean that they are tired of seeing the nerd get bitten by a spider and watching Uncle Ben die.

It's totally this. Going back to high school, whether or not they redo his origin, feels like backtracking.

The superhero movies that have been successful mostly have the same sense of continuing progress that the comics do. The Nolan Bat-movies were so tonally and narratively different from their predecessors that the franchise felt new again, and Warner seems to be carefully avoiding returning to a Batman in his prime for the near future, even though Batman v. Superman will be recapping his origin again to some degree. To see a Spider-Man that feels like he's start/stoping over and over could easily drive audiences away. Keep in mind that ASM 1 did middling business as well, even before the second one flopped hard.

Word on the Street is actually that yes, it was, due to marketing and budget costs.

I think we're using different definitions of "flop" then. IMO, a flop is a movie nobody goes to see; not a movie that winds up with a negative profit due to overspending on marketing, which isn't any fault of the movie itself.

Hadji said "middling business", implying that it was a financial flop, which it was. If it hadn't been, Sony wouldn't have folded to Marvel just now.

It was also a critical flop, and while 700 million does mean a lot of people saw that movie, it's nowhere near as much as people who saw Guardians of the Galaxy or the first ASM or the Avengers. Hence, a flop.

sig.gif
  • Options
    And like, if ASM2 had been a good movie, there's no reason to believe it couldn't have made a profit.

Hence it is totally the movie's fault.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    SimBen wrote: »

Hadji said "middling business", implying that it was a financial flop, which it was. If it hadn't been, Sony wouldn't have folded to Marvel just now.

It was also a critical flop, and while 700 million does mean a lot of people saw that movie, it's nowhere near as much as people who saw Guardians of the Galaxy or the first ASM or the Avengers. Hence, a flop.

He said the first movie did middling business and that the second one said "flopped hard" which was the terminology I had issue with. But I don't feel that strongly about it, so I'll concede on the matter. Edit: I will say that ASM1 made 750 million though, so it's not that huge of a difference between the people who saw the first and second movies.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Advertising estimates for ASM2 were pretty preposterously huge, to the extent that you could say ASM2 didn't do well, even if it wasn't a flop. It's also practically unheard of for sequels for major films to do worse than the first film.

Every single Star Wars film.
    image1.png
    e- Hmmm, maybe not. I'm seeing other sources that say otherwise and they actually explain where they got their data from so...

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

image1.png
    e- Hmmm, maybe not. I'm seeing other sources that say otherwise and they actually explain where they got their data for so...

Well, I mean, that image does have a faded background of a pie graph of Field Goal Attempts(a Football stat) of Miami Heat Players(a basketball team). I would certainly doubt its validity.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    You don't know that graph isn't just a flat line at 0 with a spike that one year a Heat player streaked naked on a football field yelling I'M GONNA MAKE A FIELD GOAL.

sig.gif
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »

He said the first movie did middling business and that the second one said "flopped hard" which was the terminology I had issue with. But I don't feel that strongly about it, so I'll concede on the matter. Edit: I will say that ASM1 made 750 million though, so it's not that huge of a difference between the people who saw the first and second movies.

They came in well below the studio estimates, which was part of the kerfuffle with the sony hack, where there were a lot of e-mails about what to do to restore the franchise. Basically, Sony treated the second like a "flop," even though in real terms it was more of minor disappointment (coming on the heels of ASM1's also underwhelming returns).

• Options
    I feel like that is something people are overlooking when they say it made 700 million

It doesn't matter what the specific number of moneys it made is

What matters is how much it made compared to how much they expected it to make

And considering how much cash they put behind it in marketing, they clearly expected all of the money.

• Options
    I said I conceded the matter, guys. :). You can quit trying to convince me.

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    i vote dylan o'brien for new spiederman

I'm so glad there's someone else on these forums who loves Dylan O'Brien as much as I do

i knew i could count on you to back up our boy, straightzi

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Bloodsheed wrote: »
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

image1.png
    e- Hmmm, maybe not. I'm seeing other sources that say otherwise and they actually explain where they got their data for so...

Well, I mean, that image does have a faded background of a pie graph of Field Goal Attempts(a Football stat) of Miami Heat Players(a basketball team). I would certainly doubt its validity.

Actually, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_goal_(basketball)

That said, I got a good chuckle from this post because it's true that when you see "field goal" you don't think "basketball". It actually took me a moment after reading it to even remember that it was an actual thing.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Costa is not a good writer

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    that star wars chart is incredibly wrong

Langly on
  • Options
    1 Star Wars
    2 Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace
    3 Return of the Jedi
    4 The Empire Strikes Back
    5 Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith
    6 Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones
    7 Star Wars (Special Edition)
    8 The Empire Strikes Back (Special Edition)
    9 Return of the Jedi (Special Edition)
    10 Star Wars (Re-issue)
    11 Star Wars: The Clone Wars
    12 The Empire Strikes Back (Re-issue)
    13 Return of the Jedi (Re-issue)
    14 Attack of the Clones: The IMAX Experience (IMAX)

This list is actually "adjusted for inflation"

http://boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=starwars.htm

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    charts??

0wFeBBe.jpg

• Options
    Amazing that the best Star Wars movie is only number 4 on the list (although I totally get why A New Hope would be at the top).

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    The top 4 makes total sense if you remember how each one of those was hyped.

Jedi would edge out Empire because it came out after the big Empire twist, which people didn't know about beforehand.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Yeah, that and the whole "end of the trilogy" thing. I mean, I get it, but it's still crazy to me how sales numbers often don't accurately reflect popular opinion of quality, especially when they're so often brought out as some sort of citation during discussions of the same.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    You know what the best-selling Final Fantasy game of all time is?

It's Final Fantasy VIII.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Well yeah, considering the zeitgeist that was 7, why wouldn't everyone expect the follow-up to be even better? Triple Triad.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Keith wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    SPIDERVERSE_1.jpg?1423680796
    By Mike Costa and Andre Arujao

jesus christ will this never end?
    From what I understand it isn't, like, continuing the story of the event, it is basically a Spider-People of the Multiverse team book on Battleworld

Which sounds good but Mike Costa sucks

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    I spent a half an hour reading up on it via Wikipedia and I kind of regret that. Can't imagine how Spidey subscribers must feel.

There's a lot of good surrounded by a lot more crap.
    Keith wrote: »
    SPIDERVERSE_1.jpg?1423680796
    By Mike Costa and Andre Arujao

jesus christ will this never end?
    From what I understand it isn't, like, continuing the story of the event, it is basically a Spider-People of the Multiverse team book on Battleworld

Which sounds good but Mike Costa sucks

I mean, I'm okay with this. The Spiders interacting was some of the best stuff in the series.

Just, fuck all the Morlun shit.

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    HA! Fuckin' killed that mouse.

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    Whoever's running the CW's Twitter is doing a Good Job.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Oh my goodness

Darth Vader #1 was excellent

And I actually kind of really like Gillen
    making Boba Fett kind of the dark mirror to Han Solo

I mean it isn't 1:1 but between his speech pattern and showing up with a wookie partner it is totally there

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    I can't get over how Barry Allen is Sebastian from glee

I watch it and I'm just like fuck you, warbler

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Whippy wrote: »
    I can't get over how Barry Allen is Sebastian from glee

I watch it and I'm just like fuck you, warbler

when drunk Caitlin wanted to do karaoke and he's like "I'm not much of a singer..."

i was like FUCK YOU I SAW GLEE

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Now I want to watch Flash less

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    That whole scene with Caitlin was so goddamn perfect

I still need to watch this week's episode tonight

• Options
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Now I want to watch Flash less

sorry for your loss, it's the most fun live-action superhero thing ever made

• Options
    So I read the ending to Spider-Verse

that might be the lamest, most anti-climactic bullshit event ending I can think of

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular

that might be the lamest, most anti-climactic bullshit event ending I can think of

Can you lay it out for someone who doesn't want to give Dan Slott more Spider-Money

• Options
    Yeah spill

• Options

Can you lay it out for someone who doesn't want to give Dan Slott more Spider-Money
    Kaine died killing the big Papa Morlun last issue

the spiders all storm their lair and turn the tide of battle through the powers of TEAMWORK and TERRIBLE DIALOGUE (acutal lines: "Thanks for trusting me back there." "No, thank you. For showing me that today, ANYTHING'S POSSIBLE!")

The Morluns hold their own, despite every surviving Spider-Man warping in, until Otto saves the day by FUCKING MURDERING THE MASTER WEAVER. Cause everyone knows the answer to a good Spider-Man story is KILL EM!

Then they drop off the surviving Morluns (except for Karn who apparently is a good guy now despite murdering a whole bunch of Spider-Men) in a world that is an irradiated wasteland with a single self-sustaining bunker for them to live in

the issue ends with everyone going GEE THAT WAS NUTS, WELP LETS ALL GO BACK HOME while Silk and Peter hold hands and cuddle while commenting on how they're so drained that they don't even want to jump each other's bones despite their gross pheremone powers

the only good parts were Miles leading a squad while driving the Spider-Buggy and a big switcheroo with May's baby brother where he was replaced with a naked Spider-Ham wrapped in a blanket before anyone noticed and fucked up their ritual

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Thanos vs Hulk #3 features precisely zero Thanos. I'm surprised Starlin had it in him. ;)

• Options
    There's an epilogue issue in two weeks but the actual FINAL ISSUE was a steaming pile of poop

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    How many Living Weapons would you rate it

This discussion has been closed.