Options

The Superhero Thread (Trial Pending) [Superheroes]

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    How many Living Weapons would you rate it
    Not that bad

I mean it killed a character I like a bunch which sucks

but it wasn't, like, actively destroying Peter Parker's history and everything that makes him great

it was just really sloppy, shitty writing

so .5 Living Weapons

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    So I read the ending to Spider-Verse

that might be the lamest, most anti-climactic bullshit event ending I can think of

Can you lay it out for someone who doesn't want to give Dan Slott more Spider-Money
    Kaine died killing the big Papa Morlun last issue

the spiders all storm their lair and turn the tide of battle through the powers of TEAMWORK and TERRIBLE DIALOGUE (acutal lines: "Thanks for trusting me back there." "No, thank you. For showing me that today, ANYTHING'S POSSIBLE!")

The Morluns hold their own, despite every surviving Spider-Man warping in, until Otto saves the day by FUCKING MURDERING THE MASTER WEAVER. Cause everyone knows the answer to a good Spider-Man story is KILL EM!

Then they drop off the surviving Morluns (except for Karn who apparently is a good guy now despite murdering a whole bunch of Spider-Men) in a world that is an irradiated wasteland with a single self-sustaining bunker for them to live in

the issue ends with everyone going GEE THAT WAS NUTS, WELP LETS ALL GO BACK HOME while Silk and Peter hold hands and cuddle while commenting on how they're so drained that they don't even want to jump each other's bones despite their gross pheremone powers

the only good parts were Miles leading a squad while driving the Spider-Buggy and a big switcheroo with May's baby brother where he was replaced with a naked Spider-Ham wrapped in a blanket before anyone noticed and fucked up their ritual

Well. I thought it was all pretty BS coming in, but that sounds like a whole other level of BS.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    how many The Raid 2s is it

• Options
    Hullis wrote: »
    how many The Raid 2s is it
    It is -8 The Raid 2s

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Fucking hell i liked Kaine

Why did this super dumb event have to end up killing a neat character that's been around for like 2 years and had cool stuff going on

• Options
    Fucking hell i liked Kaine

Why did this super dumb event have to end up killing a neat character that's been around for like 2 years and had cool stuff going on
    Yeah

by far my biggest issue with the event, besides its general shittiness

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I am quite peeved about those Spider-Verse happenings
    I mean, why exactly could the Spider-people beat the cosplay Draculas now when they couldn't before? What was the point of the whole story beyond the initial concept? WHY KILL KAINE, YOU JERKS?

• Options
    I mean, why exactly could the Spider-people beat the cosplay Draculas now when they couldn't before? What was the point of the whole story beyond the initial concept? WHY KILL KAINE, YOU JERKS?
    Yeah
    There is literally no reason given why the Spiders are suddenly winning outside of TEAMWORK AND NUMBERS which is duuuumb

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    The more I think about Spider-Verse, the more I think it would have been much better if it were alternate universe versions of Norman Osborn as opposed to Morlun

There's the obvious benefit of capitalizing on the fact that fights against Green Goblin(s) are by far Spider-Man's most iconic

Plus it doesn't have anything to do with the totem bullshit, which is always a plus

And it would give you a chance to create a whole bunch of cool, alternate universe Goblins, who could be varied and interesting as opposed to a bunch of not-Draculas

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    They explain it. That doesn't make it good, but it is explained.

They were clones, so while they did kill them several times they would come back instantly. However, the spiders destroyed their clone factory (note that people controlling multiple realities only had the one factory ). There's also something about some stupid totem shit, and a prophesy, and Jesus fuck stop it Slott.

Also Kaine became a man-spider by tapping into the totem power before he died?

• Options
    The more I think about Spider-Verse, the more I think it would have been much better if it were alternate universe versions of Norman Osborn as opposed to Morlun

There's the obvious benefit of capitalizing on the fact that fights against Green Goblin(s) are by far Spider-Man's most iconic

Plus it doesn't have anything to do with the totem bullshit, which is always a plus

And it would give you a chance to create a whole bunch of cool, alternate universe Goblins, who could be varied and interesting as opposed to a bunch of not-Draculas
    The penultimate issue ended with Gwen being ambushed by a collection of multiversal Green Goblins

she managed to kick all their asses, which is good

but it felt really forced

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    FUCK YOU SLOTT

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    The only reason I can think of to kill Kaine is to make room for all the new incoming spider-characters

which is a dumb as fuck reason, but it's the best I've got

they'd better not call Miles Scarlet Spider when he becomes part of 616, though. He's Spider-Man, just like Kate is Hawkeye, possibly moreso

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

They were clones, so while they did kill them several times they would come back instantly. However, the spiders destroyed their clone factory (note that people controlling multiple realities only had the one factory ). There's also something about some stupid totem shit, and a prophesy, and Jesus fuck stop it Slott.

Nah but it's not about killing them, it's about how the cosplay Draculas were way too strong to be beaten, them needing a clone factory doesn't even make sense in the first place!

Also, I'm not sure if you read Kaine's solo series, but he was always able to access the Other man-spider form in times of great danger.

• Options
    HE WAS USED LIKE TWICE

AGHHHHHHH

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Hey so Darth Vader #1 was pretty great!

Really liked his way of dealing with Jabba

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    God damn it Barry you tuck that goddamn shirt in if you're going to wear it with a jacket on a date

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Honestly Kieron Gillen is a really good writer overall

But when he cuts loose a bit and writes some pretty hardcore stuff, well

I think that's actually when he shows his real skill

Solar on
  • Options
    Solar wrote: »
    Hey so Darth Vader #1 was pretty great!

Really liked his way of dealing with Jabba
    Yeah, and Gillen has Vader's speech pattern DOWN

Every line was booming with James Earl Jones' voice in my head perfectly

and, again, I really like
    Boba Fett becoming kind of EVIL HAN SOLO

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

How about that Uber, eh?
    on the one hand, Super-Turing was a great reveal. I really expected Stephanie to be the one with surprise powers

On the other hand, Goebbels as Hitler is a fucking terrifying concept

• Options

Nah but it's not about killing them, it's about how the cosplay Draculas were way too strong to be beaten, them needing a clone factory doesn't even make sense in the first place!

Also, I'm not sure if you read Kaine's solo series, but he was always able to access the Other man-spider form in times of great danger.
    The cloning thing:
    They killed the cosplayers a couple times in the event and Morlun back when he first showed up. But only when the three special spiders were involved or when the Master Weaver left holes in his web for them to succeed. Something something destiny bullshit, Master Weaver manipulating events, something something inheritors seeing through time because of the Master Weaver something something fuck this event.

And, nope, haven't read Kaine's series.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Hmm. I'm not feeling the lights on the Lego Helicarrier. The wires are exposed and intrude on the bridge. They don't seem to add much.

Having seen the motor in action though, that looks like a must!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »

How about that Uber, eh?
    on the one hand, Super-Turing was a great reveal. I really expected Stephanie to be the one with surprise powers

On the other hand, Goebbels as Hitler is a fucking terrifying concept
    Uber has been great recently (not that Uber has been anything but really good ever, but it was a bit slow and has now picked up again)

Katyusha blitzing that entire company was a pretty intense "holy shit!" moment

but then all the stuff after?!? that's even more holy shit!

• Options

The cloning thing:
    They killed the cosplayers a couple times in the event and Morlun back when he first showed up. But only when the three special spiders were involved or when the Master Weaver left holes in his web for them to succeed. Something something destiny bullshit, Master Weaver manipulating events, something something inheritors seeing through time because of the Master Weaver something something fuck this event.

Fucking... I don't even know if this is a spoiler, but I just don't understand the Spider-man "mythology":
    Who/what the fuck is the Master Weaver anyways? Does he even fit into the cosmology of the Marvel universe, or is he just some BS Spider-man only cosmic entity thing?

• Options
    hippofant wrote: »

The cloning thing:

Fucking... I don't even know if this is a spoiler, but I just don't understand the Spider-man "mythology":
    Who/what the fuck is the Master Weaver anyways? Does he even fit into the cosmology of the Marvel universe, or is he just some BS Spider-man only cosmic entity thing?
    The latter, as far as I could tell

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    the spider-totem stuff is terrible, and always has been.

• Options
    Langly wrote: »
    the spider-totem stuff is terrible, and always has been.

I will say it was kinda neat as a kid seeing it in the Spiderman cartoon, and coming to the realisation that most of Spider-man's enemies were other animals.

Except, of course, Kraven didn't hunt them. Spider-totems are specialer than other animal totems, or some shit, wut.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Watching tonight's Arrow
    Man, I'm glad Thea took the Arrow thing well

I wasn't looking forward to an episode full of one of her EVERYONE KEEPS LYING TO ME things

Etchwarts on
  • Options
    Is this really a subplot that Barry has to worry about losing control of his Flash powers during sex

• Options
    God, Laurel
    "Nuh uh, you are" is not a compelling argument

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I would never not worry about that

like you know superman's whole world of cardboard thing

if I was the flash even after I had established that I can totally keep it together during coiti I'd wake up in cold sweats like

"what if I thought it was great but it actually was like 15 seconds" or "holy shit I evaporated her"

• Options
    The Firestorm effects look better than the wig they've got Robbie Amell in

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    God, Laurel
    "Nuh uh, you are" is not a compelling argument
    In fairness, Ollie pulling that excuse with her when he does the same thing every night is pretty weak too

Kind of a dick thing to throw in her face too.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    the amells are all so cute

• Options
    So are they actually going to have him using the Firestorm powers from the comics or just do burny stuff

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    So are they actually going to have him using the Firestorm powers from the comics or just do burny stuff

The name was revealed to be a reference to the sort of molecular hoodoo that was his thing in the comics, so probably the former with a side of fire

• Options
    In this episode of Arrow, many good decisions where made

And I'm not even being sarcastic with that!

• Options

that might be the lamest, most anti-climactic bullshit event ending I can think of

Can you lay it out for someone who doesn't want to give Dan Slott more Spider-Money
    (acutal lines: "Thanks for trusting me back there." "No, thank you. For showing me that today, ANYTHING'S POSSIBLE!")
    I would like to point out, for those who didn't read it, that this was a conversation between Gwen Stacy and Peter Parker. Parker and his group come in on a multiverse group of Green Goblins (because of course Green Goblins) and Parker tells his group to take them out (because some lingering issues with green goblins attacking Gwen). She says "No you don't I get this on my own" and proceeds to snap the neck of an Osborn Green Goblin.

So, it's more pointing out that Gwen didn't need saving, and Peter was totally cool with that, and the irony of Gwen Stacey snapping the neck of the Green Goblin.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

(acutal lines: "Thanks for trusting me back there." "No, thank you. For showing me that today, ANYTHING'S POSSIBLE!")
    I would like to point out, for those who didn't read it, that this was a conversation between Gwen Stacy and Peter Parker. Parker and his group come in on a multiverse group of Green Goblins (because of course Green Goblins) and Parker tells his group to take them out (because some lingering issues with green goblins attacking Gwen). She says "No you don't I get this on my own" and proceeds to snap the neck of an Osborn Green Goblin.

So, it's more pointing out that Gwen didn't need saving, and Peter was totally cool with that, and the irony of Gwen Stacey snapping the neck of the Green Goblin.

ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    FUCK YOU SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTT

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
This discussion has been closed.