As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Superhero Thread (Trial Pending) [Superheroes]

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    SpazMuffin wrote: »
    SimBen wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    I mean, it's a movie starring the guy who played bucky

he wears a domino mask

I wasn't following at all, I knew the title and that was pretty much it.

Also I didn't remember who played Bucky in the first one at all.

Something about the actor that plays Bucky makes it so hard for me to recognize him. Like, he has the least recognizable face I've ever seen. I've watched the Captain America movies a crazy number of times and I'm still pretty sure I couldn't pick him out of a five man line up.

I agree, kinda. Even the parts where he's playing Bucky in the flashback seems like a different character. However, I chalk that up to not using the same camera filters.

But, the identity of the Winter Soldier was such an open secret that they intentionally used it to obscure the real reveal of the movie.

SimBen
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    (Gwen Stacey, Uncle Ben, and Bucky Barnes)

I... don't think this is the correct list.
    Ok, I was off by a character, sue me

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Man Jason Todd

I really liked Red Hood

Boy did they ever fuck up his character

there are some good reasons to hate on Judd Winick, but I really enjoyed his Jason Todd

BlankZoeRingo
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    I mean ok, but you not following open press does not mean people are going to be held accountable for talking about open press.

If it isn't even treated as a secret by the movie, it's not a spoiler.

I'm not holding the book I was reading responsible for spoiling me on a decades-old storyline that happened to share a title with an upcoming movie, for the record.

well it is at least not decades old - Bucky was actually one of the three people you were never supposed to "bring back" in comics. It wasn't until 2005 that the Winter Soldier story happened.

well that makes it

decade old

sig.gif
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Keith wrote: »
    Man Jason Todd

I really liked Red Hood

Boy did they ever fuck up his character

there are some good reasons to hate on Judd Winick, but I really enjoyed his Jason Todd
    Oh absolutely

I hate like 90% of Winnick's work but Under the Red Hood is a great story, as was his Red Hood mini that came years later

But then Morrison ignored that in his run and then Scott Lobdell did what he does best, write terrible comics

CYpGAPn.png
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

My lawyers are drawing something up right now

Langlychiasaur11
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular

petition to change thread title to "the sueperhero thread" while i assemble a case against langly

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    BlankZoe
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

You better make this a class action lawsuit cause I got beef as well

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Have Batman's parents ever been brought back? It would be interesting to see their reaction to Bruce's Gotham.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    One of my best friends considers Red Hood his favorite character

Or at least did for a while

He was so excited for New 52, and Red Hood having a starring role in a book

He tried for a really long time to enjoy it, I'm pretty sure

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    actually, are there good reasons to hate Judd Winick? I haven't read his stuff in a while (I don't even know if he's been doing much the past few years), but I remember people hating on him for pushing his liberal politics in comics, and making a character HIV positive in remembrance of a friend he lost

and people hating on Greg Rucka for making tons of female, non-white, gay, and gay non-white female characters in every book he writes

and nowadays it's like "uh, yeah, more of that please?"

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    firstly, your honor: do you see the comically ill-fitting suit that turtle wore into this courtroom?? ridiculous. i rest my case.

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    Langly
    Red Hood was a great character!

Robin who Batman failed brought back to life to see that Batman has not only dragged two more kids into this life after his death but gotten another one killed

So while he still believes in The Mission, he thinks Bruce is deluding himself and endangering people by refusing to do what needs to be done so he picks up some pistols and goes to work

CYpGAPn.png
    TransporterDevlin_DragonusRainfallJoolander
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

fyi matt murdock's blind, get a new lawyer to draw it

actually, are there good reasons to hate Judd Winick? I haven't read his stuff in a while (I don't even know if he's been doing much the past few years), but I remember people hating on him for pushing his liberal politics in comics, and making a character HIV positive in remembrance of a friend he lost

and people hating on Greg Rucka for making tons of female, non-white, gay, and gay non-white female characters in every book he writes

I think Winnick's GA, Outsiders and Titans are all really bad

Like not because he was liberal and trying to inject that into his comics but because they were bad comics

Especially Titans

CYpGAPn.png

Robin who Batman failed brought back to life to see that Batman has not only dragged two more kids into this life after his death but gotten another one killed

So while he still believes in The Mission, he thinks Bruce is deluding himself and endangering people by refusing to do what needs to be done so he picks up some pistols and goes to work

plus the whole "The Joker killed me. Killed me. And you still let him live and destroy the lives of other people" is a good, painful angle

BlankZoeDevlin_DragonusDedwrekkaRainfallRingoJoolanderDoctorArch
    secondly, your honor: there's nothing in the rulebook that says a turtle can't play basketball. i rest my case.

f2ojmwh3geue.png

Like not because he was liberal and trying to inject that into his comics but because they were bad comics

Especially Titans

he writes some great moments, though!
    Winick's [Power Girl] run had a scene where Professor Ivo made a clone of Krypto and had it attack Power Girl, but once Clone-Krypto was on her he just wanted to play because he recognized her. Maxwell Lord (who was behind the attack), yelled at Ivo, saying that he told him not to clone dogs because you can't override their loyalty.

It's one of my favorite scenes

The world needs more Krypto
    Winick also wrote another one of my favorite moments, back in Green Arrow/Black Canary. The Cliff Chiang art doesn't hurt, either
    NdbDOns.jpg
    eMXz17K.jpg
    lK33QpP.jpg

LockedOnTargetDevlin_DragonusSnicketysnickDedwrekkaAndy JoeJoolanderDoctorArchironsizide
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular

The best part is, he dosen't even blame Bruce for getting him killed, or even hold him responsible.

His main source of anger is that Bruce didn't kill the Joker after the Joker killed him, in order to finally put a stop to the Joker's nigh infinite body count. He thought that would drive Bruce over the edge to do the "right" thing, and it didn't.

The ending of the prior issue of that GA run was incredibly dumb though

Happy ending

Everyone's together, Team Arrow victorious

And then a fucking cloud shoots Connor Hawke

CYpGAPn.png
    Garlic Bread

Happy ending

91sn32Q.jpg

LanglyAndy JoeJoolanderMatev

Happy ending

91sn32Q.jpg
    CLOUD FIRES BACK
    cloud.jpg

CYpGAPn.png

Happy ending

91sn32Q.jpg
    CLOUD FIRES BACK
    cloud.jpg

crack kills, dude

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Is there ever an explanation of who/what in the cloud fired the shot?

Fearghaill wrote: »

Wikipedia says "Following the rescue of Oliver, as the family is reunited, Connor is shot through the chest by League of Assassins members manipulated by Shado."

I don't remember it, though

Geth
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    League of Assassins.

Bullet was laced with poison which put him in an incurable coma.

Coma fixed by Dr. Sivana, but he comes back with amnesia and a healing factor and super strength

The cure Sivana gave him.spliced his DNA with Plastic Man's

Like I said Winnick's run sucks

CYpGAPn.png
    I remember a lot of people being pissed because the Arrow Family was all archers plus Black Canary so Winnick turned Connor into Faux Wolverine to differentiate power sets at the cost of his character

CYpGAPn.png
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular

Happy ending

91sn32Q.jpg
    CLOUD FIRES BACK
    cloud.jpg

crack kills, dude

Wait....is that the leadup to one of my favorite Superman/Green Arrow moments of all-time?

Because if so I forgive it completly.

• BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular

Who were these Robins? I know one is Tim Drake, but who was the other?

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
    Bedigunz wrote: »

Stephanie Brown, Dan Didio

she was a Robin, too

StraightziLanglyShadowenDevlin_DragonusmasterofmetroidRainfallRingoCentipede Damascusgtrmp
    Bedigunz wrote: »

Stephanie Brown

CYpGAPn.png
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    They're beardy and they're shooty
    Mysterious and broody
    Except for Black Canary
    The Arrow Family

KilroyTheodore FlooseveltBlankZoeEtchwartsShadowenSnicketysnickDevlin_DragonusDedwrekkaSixshotStrikermasterofmetroidRainfallBionicPenguinEvilpolarbearAndy JoeDarkPrimusHeatwavevegeta_666Centipede DamascusJoolanderBugBoyCrimson Kingchiasaur11Odindarunia106MatevNeoTomaironsizide
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    David_T wrote: »
    Kyougu wrote: »
    So there's a new insane rumor regarding a Age of Ultron cameo based on that poster.
    Danny Elfman is credited. The same Elfman who did the Spider-Man themes.

I don't buy it.
    Quick, hum the Spider-Man movie theme.

It's barely anything. It's not something people are going to notice unless Spider-Man is also on-screen and in that case, who cares, Spider-Man is there.

Also, why go back to the music of not the Amazing movies, but the ones before that?

The theory of Elfman being the man behind the "No Strings On Me" version sounds more plausible.
    Easy! Hmmhmm-hmm! Hmmhmm-hmm!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-qMBS1frkM

Yeah, that's the only music I can remember from any spiderman film.

Gvzbgul on
    Andy Joe
    The New 52 killed my Arrowette mini-series idea

it would have been great

• KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    They're beardy and they're shooty
    Mysterious and broody
    Except for Black Canary
    The Arrow Family

the best thing about this post is I can totally picture kate bishop singing this to make fun of DC's archer characters

Shadowen
    o-li-ver queen

(my name)

o-li-ver queen

(my name)

o-li-ver queen, o-li-ver queen, o-li-ver queen

(my name)

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    Crimson King
    Straightzi wrote: »
    One of my best friends considers Red Hood his favorite character

Or at least did for a while

He was so excited for New 52, and Red Hood having a starring role in a book

He tried for a really long time to enjoy it, I'm pretty sure

"You know who should be a mystical warrior and a space-traveling hero? Jason Todd!"

fuck you, Scott Lobdell

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Especially Titans

he writes some great moments, though!
    Winick's [Power Girl] run had a scene where Professor Ivo made a clone of Krypto and had it attack Power Girl, but once Clone-Krypto was on her he just wanted to play because he recognized her. Maxwell Lord (who was behind the attack), yelled at Ivo, saying that he told him not to clone dogs because you can't override their loyalty.

It's one of my favorite scenes

The world needs more Krypto
    Winick also wrote another one of my favorite moments, back in Green Arrow/Black Canary. The Cliff Chiang art doesn't hurt, either
    NdbDOns.jpg
    eMXz17K.jpg
    lK33QpP.jpg

I really fucking love that Superman.

Devlin_DragonusJoolander
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular

I just dislike Greg Rucka because he can be really fucking insufferable

Gvzbgul
    Solar wrote: »

I just dislike Greg Rucka because he can be really fucking insufferable

he writes amazing comics, though

Balefuego
This discussion has been closed.