As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Thread About Interesting Facts For Interested Individuals

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I'd prefer we didn't have such a fucking boner for cars and car culture in this country and jaywalking laws are part of that

and like many laws they wind up being used as yet another way for cops to be racist

and I don't think "it's illegal" is going to stop someone from doing it if they've already decided that it's a good idea to walk/run across eight lanes of traffic

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Yeah I'm a big proponent of roads in general being multi-purpose wherever possible, and defaulting to pedestrian right-of-way. OTOH I realise that particularly in the States, this is usually unworkable.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Perhaps we should invest more in shared spaces.

Gehl Architects
    The city council knew that this ideally located street was not serving local people or businesses well, and their initial idea in 2005 was to close the street to all vehicles. Together with Landscape Projects and Martin Stockly Associates, we responded to the pedestrianization of New Road project by creating a new type of street in the city and in the UK: Brighton now has England’s first shared space street where cars are welcome – but on people’s terms.
    Brighton_NewRoad_2_Credit_GehlArchitects_Highres.jpg
    Traffic levels have dropped by 93%, the number of pedestrians has increased by 62%, and there has been a massive 600% increase in lingering activities. People apparently enjoy being here. Today 86% would like to see more areas like New Road in their city.
    ga10109.jpg
    Brighton_Networks_map.png

Liiya on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Yeah I'm a big proponent of roads in general being multi-purpose wherever possible, and defaulting to pedestrian right-of-way. OTOH I realise that particularly in the States, this is usually unworkable.

On one hand, I think pedestrians should have the right-of-way and be able to walk across the street. On the other hand, when I'm a pedestrian, I know if it comes down to me vs 2200 pound bullet, I'm going to lose fucking badly so I use the fucking crosswalk. Because u-doy.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    I'm a big believer in yielding to pedestrians, but really wish they were in the crosswalk and not hanging out in the fucking median

I'll read the local news and some dipshit will inevitably try to cross a highway at night and get run over and I feel bad for the people that hit them, because they have to deal with that because someone tried to cross a fucking highway at 1 or 2 in the morning and chances are they're intoxicated and didn't want to find a street that went under or they really thought they had a shot of winning frogger

But having seen multiple incidents with cars hitting pedestrians, I'd prefer if everybody yielded to pedestrians, but also prefer if the pedestrians would follow the laws. Only one time did I see pedestrians get hit in the crosswalk but that was a drunk driver who ran a red light. The rest were all out jaywalking

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    When I leave work, when I get on the highway I have to left turn onto the onramp. But it's cool, that particular spot has a light with a green arrow and everything. The street I turn off of goes under the highway and has a sidewalk. The other day, my arrow turned green, so I start turning, and this guy just steps off the sidewalk to cross my onramp entrance. So I have to suddenly stop in the middle of the street while he's glaring at me and I'm like "What is your malfunction!?"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »

Gehl Architects
    The city council knew that this ideally located street was not serving local people or businesses well, and their initial idea in 2005 was to close the street to all vehicles. Together with Landscape Projects and Martin Stockly Associates, we responded to the pedestrianization of New Road project by creating a new type of street in the city and in the UK: Brighton now has England’s first shared space street where cars are welcome – but on people’s terms.
    Traffic levels have dropped by 93%, the number of pedestrians has increased by 62%, and there has been a massive 600% increase in lingering activities. People apparently enjoy being here. Today 86% would like to see more areas like New Road in their city.
    ga10109.jpg

This seems like a really good thing for a lot of reasons. It would also be a massive undertaking to try and implement in the United States, both due to how roads are currently constructed (and the nature of road construction in this country), and due to general public attitudes toward driving. It would require a significant shift in driving culture and that's something that Americans in general tend to be really resistant to. Not saying we shouldn't try it, but it definitely would be a lot of work. I can just hear the republicans now, railing against those damned liberals trying to take away our freedom to drive.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Does anybody else call it an Ollie when you get one of those left turn traffic lights?

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular

Gehl Architects
    ga10109.jpg

This seems like a really good thing for a lot of reasons. It would also be a massive undertaking to try and implement in the United States, both due to how roads are currently constructed (and the nature of road construction in this country), and due to general public attitudes toward driving. It would require a significant shift in driving culture and that's something that Americans in general tend to be really resistant to. Not saying we shouldn't try it, but it definitely would be a lot of work. I can just hear the republicans now, railing against those damned liberals trying to take away our freedom to drive.

You're 100% right. Gehl pioneered it in the UK, but it is a European thing (from his name, too) and they are way more open-minded than we are in the UK, and thus you guys in the US, in terms of dependence on cars. The newer the place the harder it is to implement due to newer places having a generally more rigid city structure, but certainly for residential areas and town centres I think that this would work wonders!

• Options

Gehl Architects
    ga10109.jpg

You're 100% right. Gehl pioneered it in the UK, but it is a European thing (from his name, too) and they are way more open-minded than we are in the UK, and thus you guys in the US, in terms of dependence on cars. The newer the place the harder it is to implement due to newer places having a generally more rigid city structure, but certainly for residential areas and town centres I think that this would work wonders!

Yeah, I think a good first step would be updating city business centers. It's an area with much heavier foot traffic that people tend to not like driving in anyway, and it's a lot more concentrated so it would sort of exist as a "pilot program" of sorts.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    Reminds me of the old Italian walled cities where most of the roads are like that.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    One of the problems with jaywalking is that wave of death I mentioned. It's basically a scenario where someone is crossing the road and there's multiple incoming lanes of traffic. The outer lane stops upon seeing the pedestrian, waves them on, and the pedestrian steps right into the second lane without the driver in that lane even seeing the pedestrian due to the first car blocking line of sight. Even if the second car hits their brakes immediately physics is going to play out.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Reminds me of the old Italian walled cities where most of the roads are like that.

something like 75% of Assisi is inaccessible to cars and it's dope

• Options
    the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    iono if anyone else has noticed this but, last couple years I have seen a lot more people walking in the street. not, like across the street, but down the street. and there's perfectly good sidewalks, too. I have seen people doing this pushing strollers at night.

tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    There was a day before Halloween this year it was pretty rainy out.

I was driving somewhere and getting into the nearest left turn lane of two left turn lanes. There was a guy on a bicycle riding against traffic between both left turn lanes as I came to the light. It was the worst.

Also the part of town where I see people cross the street the most is the intersection near where I live. Usually not even 20 feet from the cross walk. I mostly just don't understand why an extra few feet is worth risking your life.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    There are no jaywalking laws in Wisconsin. The pedestrian cedes right of way when not in a crosswalk and they cannot impede traffic without it breaking the law, but there isn't anything illegal about crossing in the middle of a street. Communities also encourages the use of crosswalks by enforcing yield-to-pedestrian laws when they use a crosswalk at uncontrolled intersections.

Personally, I think this is the way to go. If it's clear and I'm able to cross the street safely with no delay to any traffic, why shouldn't I be able to cross the street?

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    the cheat wrote: »
    iono if anyone else has noticed this but, last couple years I have seen a lot more people walking in the street. not, like across the street, but down the street. and there's perfectly good sidewalks, too.

Sometimes I really get the urge to GTA those people, depending on how obnoxious they're being when I drive by.

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    One of the problems with jaywalking is that wave of death I mentioned. It's basically a scenario where someone is crossing the road and there's multiple incoming lanes of traffic. The outer lane stops upon seeing the pedestrian, waves them on, and the pedestrian steps right into the second lane without the driver in that lane even seeing the pedestrian due to the first car blocking line of sight. Even if the second car hits their brakes immediately physics is going to play out.

This is why I hate people who wave traffic on in any multi-lane road. The main road out of our work area always has a big backup at the intersection from like 4:30-5:30, and yet there's always people trying to make left turns through that mess. Every other week or so I see someone get waved through, and they have to stop in the middle of oncoming traffic because the other lane never, y'know, agreed to stop for them or anything.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    There are no sidewalks in my neighborhood, so it's all jaywalking all the time

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »

Which is a large part of where the racism/classism problems of policing comes into play. In a state where walking in the street is illegal while walking on someone's property without their express permission is also illegal, this gives police carte blanche to harrass every pedestrian, and unfortunately they have a tendacy to choose a minority as their targets.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »

Which is a large part of where the racism/classism problems of policing comes into play. In a state where walking in the street is illegal while walking on someone's property without their express permission is also illegal, this gives police carte blanche to harrass every pedestrian, and unfortunately they have a tendacy to choose a minority as their targets.

Well it's not illegal to do either here but I often get harassed by the cops walking to work

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I'm no cop hater, but I know jaywalking and minor bike violations tend to be an excuse for cops to stop people they deem suspicious. For example, as a white bicyclist, I've never gotten stopped for riding on the sidewalk, while a majority of cop crackdowns on that thing happen on one downtown street where the sidewalk is wider than the road itself. Also, a lot of the 'undesirable' population dwells there, and they are the ones who get ticketed.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Gotta generate civil revenue somehow. And Lord knows we can't have private prisons going below 90% occupancy, the state has contracts to fulfill!

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    There are no jaywalking laws in Wisconsin. The pedestrian cedes right of way when not in a crosswalk and they cannot impede traffic without it breaking the law, but there isn't anything illegal about crossing in the middle of a street. Communities also encourages the use of crosswalks by enforcing yield-to-pedestrian laws when they use a crosswalk at uncontrolled intersections.

Personally, I think this is the way to go. If it's clear and I'm able to cross the street safely with no delay to any traffic, why shouldn't I be able to cross the street?

Because 90% of the time, the bolded is not true when someone does it. The mindset is "what are you going to do? Run over me? You HAVE to stop"

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I wait till they pass as I do not trust them to stop

Brainleech on
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    As somebody who has been struck several times by motorists from a still position because they didn't check the crossing path before blindly accelerating into a turn I have no trust that any cars can see me whatsoever in any context

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    edited November 2015
  • Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Because 90% of the time, the bolded is not true when someone does it. The mindset is "what are you going to do? Run over me? You HAVE to stop"

And if you make a mistake and think it's clear when it's not, the consequences will be very dire for you.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Scooter wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »

This is why I hate people who wave traffic on in any multi-lane road. The main road out of our work area always has a big backup at the intersection from like 4:30-5:30, and yet there's always people trying to make left turns through that mess. Every other week or so I see someone get waved through, and they have to stop in the middle of oncoming traffic because the other lane never, y'know, agreed to stop for them or anything.
    So the other week I got a burger a place by work. It's the 2nd or 3rd closest building to an intersection I have to turn left at to get back to work, which means when I exit the parking lot I have to cross all the lanes to get to my turn lane pretty quickly.
    If there's other cars behind me leaving the parking lot, I'll usually just head right if it isn't immediately clear and turn down the side street to flip around in the Wendy's parking lot so people don't have to wait on me. This time, there was nobody else. However, the light had been red so there were a bunch of cars backed up a good ways past the parking lot exit. I was at the exit, a good ways back to try and imply that I wasn't going to try and slip into traffic, but this guy stopped and waved for me to go through. I waved at him like "Dude! you have 6 cars behind you, and I have none. You're holding up traffic and I need to cross those other lanes that aren't stopping for me. I know what I'm doing! Just go!" But he did not, so I had to go and swing around so I wasn't the traffic impeding asshole.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    When I was in high school, the bus home would drop me and a few other kids off at a corner where we had to cross a state highway that ran through downtown. There was no stop sign or light. Now, this is a small town, so the road was only two lanes (one each way), and at worst we'd have to wait ten or fifteen minutes for traffic to clear. No big deal really.

Except one time a driver in the far lane (right to left, from my perspective) stopped and waved us across. As we crossed in front of his car, a guy behind him got impatient and passed him illegally on the right, at a pretty good clip, missing me by about four inches. It was basically the wave of death situation from above, except it should never have happened because that's why passing on the right is illegal, dumbass.*

I hope I scared him as badly as he scared me.

*the second driver, I mean, not any of you.

Calica on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Overall I avoid jaywalking

But I am also the most aggressive pedestrian you will ever meet

I deliberately walk in front of cars that are pulled halfway through the crosswalk trying to turn at a stop sign, I have punched a couple of cars/bicyclists that almost hit me (when I had right of way), and so on

I'm probably gonna get hit pretty hard one of these days

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    The thing that probably drives me the most nuts while driving is people that blaze past stop signs at 30mph and then stop with a foot of their car in the intersection. You're supposed to stop at the sign you dickbrain!

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Big one that gets me is people who pull into the intersection when traffic beyond the intersection is clearly not moving so you already know you're gonna be stuck there once the light changes and block all traffic going the other direction.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    The thing that probably drives me the most nuts while driving is people that blaze past stop signs at 30mph and then stop with a foot of their car in the intersection. You're supposed to stop at the sign you dickbrain!

Also people at a busy intersection who creep out into the crossroads as far as they can so they can slip by as the light changes. Or, as typically happens, after the light changes, because there was no break in traffic before. That's not a free pass, guys. You just ran a red light. And/or nearly smoked me because I got the yellow at 40 mph and had no time to stop and had a legitimate reason to be going through the yellow light.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited November 2015

Yeah but sometimes you have to pull out

Like when dipshit strip malls plant dense shrubs right up to the curb so you literally can't see the street if you're stopped at the sign

Or when asshole neighbors park their huge mobile homes so far back in the adjacent spaces you need to pull into the street to see if any cars are coming.

Not that I deal with both every single day

Xaquin on
  • Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

Yeah but sometimes you have to pull out

Like when dipshit strip malls plant dense shrubs right up to the curb so you literally can't see the street if you're stopped at the sign

Or when asshole neighbors park their huge mobile homes so far back in the adjacent spaces you need to pull into the street to see if any cars coming.

Not that I deal with both every single day

Yeah but in those cases, you come to a proper stop, then creep out when you're preparing to move forward. That's a completely different thing.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

I agree you shouldn't be actually in the intersection or crosswalk, but a significant percentage of stop sign placement results in obstructed views that would be actively dangerous if cars always stopped that far back.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Just remembered this story from high school:

Me and a couple of buddies are walking down the street, moderately quiet area. We have the light and are stepping into the street to cross a pretty quiet street, moving along parallel to a minor street artery. A car pulls up perpendicular to our path as we're stepping off the curb, but the driver is lookign left to make sure they can make the right against the light without hitting any oncoming traffic -- neglects to looks right for us pedestrians. My two friends jump back, and I tried to, but was only able to with one foot, since my other foot was underneath the (now stopped) tire.
    It didn't hurt at all, but I was trapped there. Driver was looking at me with a horrified look, so I called out "You're on my foot." Driver looks totally panicked, but doesn't do anything, so I had to slam my hand onto the hood and yell "YOU'RE ON MY FOOT!" to get them to put it reverse and let me go. Asked if I needed an ambulance, and I said "Naw, I'm fine, I was just stuck." And we kept walking.
    I suspect it was 'cause the weight of the car was spread out over 4 wheels, then over the area of the footprint of the wheel, then over my foot, but I much prefer to believe I'm Superman.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »

I hope I scared him as badly as he scared me.

*the second driver, I mean, not any of you.

too late I'm terrified

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I think I failed one of my driving tests because a tree blocked my view of a stop sign.

b1ehrMM.gif
This discussion has been closed.