Options

It's a Bad Year to Have Litigation in the [NFL]

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    If he was 2 inches taller, .1 faster in his 10 yard split, and had 34 inch arms I'd agree with you. But he doesn't.

You do realize that many players with the best measurable traits amount to nothing in the league, right? Micheal Sam being a tweener shouldn't limit his opportunities entirely especially considering how competent he was on the field in the preseason.

Now I do think he was a bit unlucky in that he was drafted by a team that didn't need him but if he has a great showing at this combine and still gets ignored I'm calling shenanigans.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    If he had a great showing in a combine setting we wouldn't be having this conversation. It was known going into the combine that his speed and explosiveness were limited, and given his size as a DE he just had to prove that wrong and then he ran a 4.91 40 and had a pathetic 25 inch vert. The combine isn't everything, but it basically completely confirmed that he's a small, unexplosive DE who's only skill is pass rush effort (which is pretty much what the book was on him before the combine). There aren't a lot of those guys on NFL rosters, gay or not. By comparison, look at Eli Harold, a legit top 1-2 round pick - he's 3/10ths faster in the forty and has another 10 inches in vertical. He's explosive. Sam is not.

Plus, while lots of elite athletes don't turn into much most GMs would rather have an athletic freak taking up the final roster spot contributing on special teams and (potentially) growing into a better player than a limited impact role player only useful in one specific niche who's basically completely maxed out to his athletic ability.

I doubt the NFL management guys are all happy an inclusive, but I just don't see some massive Sam conspiracy because he just isn't a great prospect.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    There's no need for a conspiracy.

Systemic discrimination isn't a conspiracy. That's why it is pervasive. You do not need to communicate or coordinate. You don't need a plan. You just use vague language and reasoning that is at least superficially legitimate.

• Options
    Like do you think it was a nation wide conspiracy to pay women less

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Your summation of his scouting combine is pretty meaningless considering his performance was still good enough to get drafted and he played well when given the chance in the preseason. Also, many relevant NFL personalities have made it very clear they wouldn't want a gay player on their team so no there's no conspiracy. It's just a fact that a ton of owners, coaches, and players are afraid Micheal Sam is going to fantasize about their dicks in the locker room.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    There no reason to assume that every single from office in the league refused to sign him for being gay instead of his numerous deficiencies as a football player. You're assuming he'd be in a roster if he was closeted or straight. I don't see that as terribly likely.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    you're kind of right in that not every team needs to sign a DT right now, some already have excellent ones that are better than sam

but there are plenty of teams that DO one, and they are passing on sam because he is gay. which is crazy considering how many things teams are willing to do for the sake of winning because it is their job to win and if they don't they are fired

• Options
    With as difficult and as chance driven as getting signed to a team is, you don't need every single person passing because of sexuality. You just need some of them or even a majority of hen to do it to ice you out.

• Options
    If you're telling me not every single owner/manager is passing on Sam because he's gay, I'm going to say obviously

If you're telling me that if he were not gay, he would still not even be on a practice squad, I'm saying you're crazy wrong.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Those wacky Browns!

Next year, they'll sign Cutler.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    jesus fucking christ cleveland

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Ehh. 5.25 million ain't bad, and they can cut him next year with almost no penalty.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    McCown is okay

buying time for Manziel to get better

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »
    McCown is okay

Not gonna happen.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2015
    I'll be surprised if Manziel ends up being good but I can't completely write the kid off yet.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I'll be surprised if Manziel ends up being good but I can't completely write the kid off yet.

He basically has to completely reinvent himself as a QB because the things that made him win in college just flat out won't work in the NFL.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Like I said, highly unlikely. However, I can't completely call him a bust when he hasn't really had a chance yet.

• Options
    PizzleStixxPizzleStixx Parp? Burnett? Really? UghRegistered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »
    Ehh. 5.25 million ain't bad, and they can cut him next year with almost no penalty.

Cleveland gave him more money coming off of a 1-10 season then he got to be he QB for TB last year.

They are insane.

PizForum-Whalers-2.jpg
  • Options
    rhylith wrote: »

He basically has to completely reinvent himself as a QB because the things that made him win in college just flat out won't work in the NFL.

And, you know, actually study a playbook

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    and stop doing coke

• Options
    Jars wrote: »
    and stop doing coke

That wasn't a problem for Lawrence Taylor

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »
    McCown is okay

Even if that happens, it's already been outright confirmed by beat writers and everybody around the situation/area that if Haslam doesn't see a record he's happy about this season, he's nuking the staff again, which will basically ruin things for him and the team anyway because nobody can be successful when the people you have to help you change every 1 year at least, 2 years at most

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    When are schedules typically announced? Not just opponent lists.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Looks like last year it was April 23.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Ahhh ahhh ahh ahh ahhhhh

I swear if the Eagles do something substantially stupid to move up to get Mariota I will be SO MAD

• Options
    man, that seems like so much for mariota, like so much

i think mariota could be really, really good, but he's not that good

• Options
    Peen wrote: »
    Ahhh ahhh ahh ahh ahhhhh

I swear if the Eagles do something substantially stupid to move up to get Mariota I will be SO MAD

Yeah. That's ridiculous.

They aren't going to trade up for Tampa's pick. They'll move up and take Oakland or Jacksonville's instead.

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Ahhh ahhh ahh ahh ahhhhh

at this point I just want it to be done one way or the other

• Options
    Is there a single example of a team giving away the farm to trade up working out? That supposed deal is Ricky Williams level crazy and seems incredibly stupid.

• Options
    Butters wrote: »
    Is there a single example of a team giving away the farm to trade up working out? That supposed deal is Ricky Williams level crazy and seems incredibly stupid.

No. It never works out that I can think of.

• Options
    simosimo Registered User regular
    depends what your goals are i guess

lack of depth has hurt the falcons in the last couple years, which is partially attributable to the julio jones trade, but they got a play away from the super bowl because of that trade

bugss2.jpg
  • Options
    Did they get anywhere they weren't going to go though? Their offense was already really good and defense was still a liability

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Demaryius Thomas, Justin Houston, and Dez Bryant all franchised.

Dolphins released Cortland Finnegan because he's a huge dick.

• Options
    Giants also franchised JPP

• Options
    what does the mechanics of franchising actually do

• Options
    Langly wrote: »

Locks the player to the team for a year for the average of the top 5 players salaries at that position.

• Options

Franchised player gets a one year deal with the average salary of the top ten players at their position.

And they cannot turn it down for a better offer anywhere else, that's why so many players hate it.

• Options
    wait why can they not turn it down?

• Options
    wait why can they not turn it down?

Just the way it works. Teams can only franchise one player per year.

This discussion has been closed.