Options

It's a Bad Year to Have Litigation in the [NFL]

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    From teh wiki:
    The National Football League introduced the franchise tag in 1993.[1] There are two types of franchise tag designations: the exclusive rights franchise tag, and non-exclusive rights franchise tag:

- An "exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position as of a date in April of the current year in which the tag will apply, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. Exclusive franchise players cannot negotiate with other teams. The player's team has all the negotiating rights to the exclusive player.
    - A "non-exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position for the previous year, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. A non-exclusive franchise player may negotiate with other NFL teams, but if the player signs an offer sheet from another team, the original team has a right to match the terms of that offer, or if it does not match the offer and thus loses the player, is entitled to receive two first-round draft picks as compensation.
    - Under the Capped years a team can designate one additional player only as a transitional tag. A transition player must be offered a minimum of the average of the top 10 salaries of the prior season at the player's position or 120 percent of the player's prior year's salary, whichever is greater. A transition player designation gives the club a first-refusal right to match within seven days an offer sheet given to the player by another club after his contract expires. If the club matches, it retains the player. If it does not match, it receives no compensation.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    @VicTafur
    #Raiders $61.5 mil under salary cap when Branch, Woodley are officially released, & becomes $69.5 mil w/ departures of Schaub & Jones-Drew

RIP Schaub :[

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    wait why can they not turn it down?

It's a mechanic specifically designed to prevent a player from leaving via free agency. The drawbacks for a team to use the tag are that you only get to use it on one player per year, the money is guaranteed the second the player signs it (barring one exception for physical condition), you can only tag a player 3 times, and if you tag a player more than once you have to give him a 20% raise each time.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Buffalo should pick up Schaub

• Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    @VicTafur
    #Raiders $61.5 mil under salary cap when Branch, Woodley are officially released, & becomes $69.5 mil w/ departures of Schaub & Jones-Drew

RIP Schaub :[

Man they will have to do a LOT of spending to reach cap floor. I guess we should just assume no free agents for anyone else this year.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Butters wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    wait why can they not turn it down?

It's a mechanic specifically designed to prevent a player from leaving via free agency. The drawbacks for a team to use the tag are that you only get to use it on one player per year, the money is guaranteed the second the player signs it (barring one exception for physical condition), you can only tag a player 3 times, and if you tag a player more than once you have to give him a 20% raise each time.
    Importantly, you also have to give him a 20% raise the FIRST time too, if that ends up being more than the average you're otherwise required to use.

That little bit is basically why Suh is going to hit the open market, because it means it would take something like $24 million to franchise him, just for this year.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    Well there's that and the fact that Suh isn't really worth franchising. Suh is pretty good but he's not like J.J. Watt good or even Cameron Wake good. He only has 36 career sacks which is pretty low considering where he was drafted and the kind of athlete he is.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Well there's that and the fact that Suh isn't really worth franchising. Suh is pretty good but he's not like J.J. Watt good or even Cameron Wake good. He only has 36 career sacks which is pretty low considering where he was drafted and the kind of athlete he is.

riiiiiight

Look at how the Lions D performed last year

Then look at their players and tell me it was for any reason other than Suh being on the Dline and still disrupting during double and triple teams

sacks are not the end-all stat of measuring a DT

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Watt isn't human, so he shouldn't count in any of these discussions.

Suh is not the same type of player as Wake though, or Houston, or any of the other hybrid DE/LB pass rushers. He's more like a Warren Sapp.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Yeah, Suh isn't the kind of player who's value can be quantified with individual stats.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I would take Suh over Wake pretty much every day. He's going to make your DEs look like rock stars and he's hell on the other team's running game. Cameron Wake is terrifying but Suh's overall impact is bigger.

• Options
    He can't be entirely quantified in sacks but his sack count is quite low. Maybe he's better than Cameron Wake but he hasn't shown himself to be the hall of fame player as previously believed.

Julius Peppers faced double and triple teams his whole career and still managed double digit sacks most seasons.

• Options
    Peppers is a DE and Suh is a DT.

I would hope Peppers has more sacks.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    I would compare Suh to a guy like Vince Wilfork. His job is to fill the middle, take up blocks and help keep your ends from getting double teamed so they can make sacks.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    Why did I think Suh was DE? I could have swore he played DE...

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    only 1 DT had double digit sacks last year, 9 DEs had double digit sacks

• Options
    Why did I think Suh was DE? I could have swore he played DE...

Maybe because he's just soooooooooooo DElightful!

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Wilfork has been a 3-4 NT for the most part.

Suh is a 4-3 DT. Those are pretty different jobs.

• Options
    mcp wrote: »
    Wilfork has been a 3-4 NT for the most part.

Suh is a 4-3 DT. Those are pretty different jobs.

But you can still compare them in that they are immensely valuable without a lot of stats to their name.

• Options
    the best comparison I can thin of is kyle williams for the bills. the only year he racked up a lot of sacks was last year when they used a 3-4 set up.

• Options
    I totally thought Suh was a defensive end. Consider my previous statements moot if you didn't already.

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    JJ watt seems like he would be an extremely unpleasant person to spend time around in a non football context

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Yeah, Suh isn't the kind of player who's value can be quantified with individual stats.

you need intangibles like willingness to step on opponents after the play

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    JJ watt seems like he would be an extremely unpleasant person to spend time around in a non football context

really? because I've gotten the impression that he's a super nice guy

• Options
    I don't know where people get the negative attitude about Watt from. He's always seemed like a good guy to me.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    yeah watt seems super cool

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    The whole mettenberger selfie thing was like the most tired old man BACK IN MY DAY thing I've ever seen.

Also he definitely gets my vote for NFL player most likely to be juicing.

• Options
    JJ watt bought a cabin to straight up do rocky IV training montages

• Options
    I think he's just really fucking intense on the field.

• Options
    That is super dorky and lame. Sorry watt fans.

• Options
    I don't think JJ watt even exists outside of a football context

he is either training to play football, playing football, or dreaming about playing football

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Yes hard work, so lame

• Options
    Hard work is cool! Being a humorless football automaton is not. Just my $0.02

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Also he definitely gets my vote for NFL player most likely to be juicing.

LaRon Landry would like a word with you.

IeLBkjX.jpg

• Options
    He just a lot of fish

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    He just a lot of fish
    are you saying that LaRon Landry is actually a walking school of fish?

• Options
    That's what my phone wanted me to say apparently.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Hard work is cool! Being a humorless football automaton is not. Just my $0.02

He's weirdly obsessive about being good at football to the point it looks insane

The same can be said about Peyton, Brady for at least a bunch of his career (aka the Pre-High Five stages), and probably everybody else who's been a legend on-field

• Options
    JJ watt also got booed when he was drafted

• Options
    you know the bills could conceivably afford suh if they drop hughes

it's a terrible idea because they would end up with a cap disaster in 2 years, but that would be one terrifying defense

This discussion has been closed.