As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cities: Skylines 2 Now Available

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    They really did pick the best Youtuber to make the promo city.

jungleroomxStabbity Style
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited July 2023
    Mixed zoning!

Edit: Ag zoning looks so good!

jungleroomx on
    WotanAnubis
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Mixed zoning. Yesssssss.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    mrpaku
  • IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Like probably most people, I reinstalled CS once I saw the trailer for 2. Gotta say, the thing I'm looking forward to the most is the more realistic art direction. There's something just slightly too cartoony about the first game for me.

Like probably most people, I reinstalled CS once I saw the trailer for 2. Gotta say, the thing I'm looking forward to the most is the more realistic art direction. There's something just slightly too cartoony about the first game for me.

Something that always bothered me about the CS was how muddy everything looked. The default shaders seemed to smear a layer of haze over everything. You can download mods that overhaul the lighting and shaders to clean things up but it only exposes how limited the visual engine is.

More than the realistic look, I like how CS2 just looks a lot more crisp and clean. The colors really pop in videos.

jungleroomx
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    cs1 was def intended to have a more cartoony style (donut vans, donut vans everywhere) but then it feels like they changed that at some point and it does feel a little lost in the process.

def prefer the cs2 look, but i’ve grown to enjoy the weird mishmash of cs1 too

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I'd love mods or dlc that would allow for things like cartoon or fantasy setting city building.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I'd love mods or dlc that would allow for things like cartoon or fantasy setting city building.

I mean, you could absolutely mod it to do that, but with the amount of work you'd have to put in to make a mod that expansive, I imagine they'd probably just rather make their own game instead.

Stabbity_Style.png
    jungleroomx
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited July 2023
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV69lbK43OQ

Expansions of service buildings confirmed.

jungleroomx on
    AlphaRomeroThat_Guy

I mean, you could absolutely mod it to do that, but with the amount of work you'd have to put in to make a mod that expansive, I imagine they'd probably just rather make their own game instead.

Yeah, after a while we had entire Euro city architectures but it took dozens of modders several years to generate enough content and props.

It occurs to me that 2 long-term all-timers are going to be out simultaneously and they couldn't be more different.

Embarrassment of riches

https://youtu.be/-aNNVd9pH9Q

Not a whole lot different, but some noticeable changes for water and electric.

Battery stations for renewables is a nice addition.

Stabbity StyleThat_Guy
  • AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    Hopefully the ability to create outside connections being built-in this time around (rather than having to be modded) means there's less craziness with the behavior of trains and cars coming in / passing through.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
    StrikorInfamyDeferred
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    CityPlannerPlays has a video out breaking things down a little. Overall map size is bigger than the base unmodded game, but the base unmodded game was nowhere close to the modded map size.

However, he also points out that it seems like the scaling might be adjusted from 1 as well (in a good way), meaning we might be able to fit more city in the same space.

Apparently Paradox will be doing their own mod service for the game, and not offering Steam Workshop support. This is ostensibly to make sure that console players will have access to all mods. It's not clear yet whether they will be adding support for things like auto-updating mods, subscription lists, etc.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Apparently Paradox will be doing their own mod service for the game, and not offering Steam Workshop support. This is ostensibly to make sure that console players will have access to all mods. It's not clear yet whether they will be adding support for things like auto-updating mods, subscription lists, etc.

Steam workshop is ass, but this also makes me side-eye Paradox.

HappylilElfFoolOnTheHill
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    Games are frequently on multiple platforms now. Cities Skylines is also on EGS, as well as consoles. Skylines 2 will be on Steam and Gamepass/Windows store, and I assume eventually EGS and consoles. I'm actually surprised neither has hit GoG.

Steam workshop is good for games that are only on Steam, but because it's a convenient tool it means mods are frequently not released outside of it.

Skylines is a very modded game, so as long as they don't do dumb stuff like try to monetize it, I'm fine with them figuring out their own way to distribute mods to all platforms.

edit - about comparisons to Skylines 1, one of the early access videos I watched put it best. it's hard to do that comparison, because Skylines has had 10 years of official support via expansions and unofficial via mods. There's no way Skylines 2 base game is going to compare to that.

However, there's so many little QoL improvments everywhere, right down to just planning roads being a lot more natural feeling. Requested things like topographical maps can be turned on. There's more detail in things like wind direction affecting smog. Lots of buildings are modular now so rather than say, plopping down more high schools in an area, you can add addon buildings to the existing school.

It's a new start, and a better framework to hang expansions and mods on.

-Loki- on
    Mvrck
    Yeah pretty much everything about the game has me pretty stoked minus the (obviously needed) system requirements increase. But if it means uncapping cities to basically grow as big as your system can handle? Fuck yes let's go.

The new road tools look great, though it does seem like we will still need a TMPE like mod to give us full lane control and to do things like 2 or three way stops vs 4 way. The auto cut and fill settings though look awesome, and are better than anything we got in mods in CS. And adding connections (especially rail) looks like it's going to be so much more seamless now.

The other things I'm highly excited for, is the way buildings upgrade without necessarily rebuilding into completely different structures. I'm hoping that means we can get more growable assets long term to give our cities variety, since it means folks won't need to necessarily add a bunch of unique model ideas, just a few separate versions of the base building.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    While having a long time to develop mods is great, I think there's definitely something to be said about a game getting too many mods and it being good to clear the deck with a new game with newer, better features. Then the new game gets base features that used to be mods, possibly makes modding easier and more productive, and the people who made mods for the last game can still update to the new game if their work is wanted or needed.

scherbchenmasterthehero
    Embargo is up for streamers and content creators, so tons of streams and new videos now.

City Planner Plays was talking on his stream that the game is absolutely GPU bottlenecked (versus CPU bottlenecked, that is), and VRAM is important.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Embargo is up for streamers and content creators, so tons of streams and new videos now.

City Planner Plays was talking on his stream that the game is absolutely GPU bottlenecked (versus CPU bottlenecked, that is), and VRAM is important.

Fascinating - you would figure all the cims going about their business in large cities would thrash the CPU... I look forward to downloading a massive city and opening it on my 7950x3D/4090, and my ROG Ally to see how well this thing scales.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    edited October 2023
    syndalis wrote: »

Fascinating - you would figure all the cims going about their business in large cities would thrash the CPU... I look forward to downloading a massive city and opening it on my 7950x3D/4090, and my ROG Ally to see how well this thing scales.

Early results are...not well.

CPP was only at 50ish FPS at 4k with that setup. However, it did look like he had some things like AO, reflections and shadows pretty maxed, and did not seem to have dynamic resolution enabled. I'm guessing you can hit a real steady 60fps if you sacrifice just a little bit there.

Edit: Load times look absolutely insane in a good way. 5-10 seconds to load some maps.

Mvrck on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    IIRC they said that while AI is more complex now, it’s also more efficient and the game uses multiple cores really well.

So GPU bottlenecked makes sense if they’ve figured out the problem with so many AI paths being done every second.

• InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    I was so looking forward to it... but with 8gb VRAM and 16gb RAM, reviewers are saying I'm looking down the barrel of <15fps at 1080p low settings, once a city gets over 10-15k pop. I'm so tired

InfamyDeferred on
    The VRAM jump in requirements in the last year or so has left a lot of people in the lurch, especially on 2000/3000 series nvidia cards.

InfamyDeferred
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    luckily i have the specs but honestly i feel like these crazy systems available for sale just invite developers to be lazier

this game looks nice but it doesn't look *four times nicer* than skylines 1

i have high hopes for this game but ive had so many big disappointments lately im sort of braced for the worst

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    It sounded like they have to get it to run similarly on Xbox series X and S or Microsoft won’t let it be released. So, hopefully, that means the extra time they’ve given themselves to do console release will also translate to PC optimization too.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Yeah, this almost makes me regret buying it despite my utter loathing for the lack of functionality of steam workshop because I used to trust Paradox as a company but I'm increasingly thinking they've entered the enshittification phase.

Phoenix-D
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

Yeah, this almost makes me regret buying it despite my utter loathing for the lack of functionality of steam workshop because I used to trust Paradox as a company but I'm increasingly thinking they've entered the enshittification phase.

They gutted HBS which I'm not happy about, and the only game I've seen do company run mod service right is Factorio. So definitely passing until it + the 15 billion dlcs are on deep sale.

Knight_
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I was so looking forward to it... but with 8gb VRAM and 16gb RAM, reviewers are saying I'm looking down the barrel of <15fps at 1080p low settings, once a city gets over 10-15k pop. I'm so tired

Haha holy shit

That’s probably the harshest performance per spec number I’ve heard of in a game so far. That cannot be intended.

PSN: Honkalot
    Phoenix-DjungleroomxJazz
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Good god the reporting around the games performance is shameful. Something tells me PDX founders or folks there when it was just a plucky studio releasing cool PC only grand strategy games are looking on mournfully at what going corporate does. Like a machine I just upgraded last year that chews through pretty much every game at 1080P and even 1440P isn't even going to be playable at 1080P in this? Like, change your design scope then (I'm seeing a lot of this might be that the game is CPU bound).

. . .sucks. I was so ready to jump on this franchise (I have CS1, but - like other past attempts at PDX games - I need that "next gen" polish).

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    I guess I'm not the only one feeling like CS2 has seen a rugpull at the last minute here. The performance issues and changes to mod support are enough to quesh any excitement I had. After last night's flurry of 20fps Youtube videos, I think I'm going to wait for a sale before I buy the game.

I'm holding my breath hoping they don't announce Denuvo DRM in the release build.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    the last time a city builder game issued a pre-apology for release issues.... it was the simcity reboot... and we know how that turned out

idk i dont think it can be that bad... i have faith that they will make at the very least a quality simulation engine

optimization is generally the last thing you do in software, so maybe/hopefully they just ran out of time and haven't had a chance to really dig in

jungleroomx
    I'm gonna wait on this one

It doesn't help SF6 is still eating huge chunks of playtime and I'm still making my way through BG3, I just don't have the time for another game that is a long-term player. Especially in the state it's currently in.

They gutted HBS which I'm not happy about, and the only game I've seen do company run mod service right is Factorio. So definitely passing until it + the 15 billion dlcs are on deep sale.

I too am getting pretty worried about Paradox. The last several games they've released were hollow shells designed to be filled out with hundreds of dollars worth of DLC. It feels like CS2 is going in that direction too. That new Star Trek game looks worse than some Stellaris total conversion mods I've seen.

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »

I too am getting pretty worried about Paradox. The last several games they've released were hollow shells designed to be filled out with hundreds of dollars worth of DLC. It feels like CS2 is going in that direction too. That new Star Trek game looks worse than some Stellaris total conversion mods I've seen.

The DLC has been not really great either recently?

I think the verdict on the last few major CK3 and Stellaris games has been more along the lines of “well… it doesn’t really make the game any worse per se”.

• taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    All I can say after all the recent revelations is I'm glad it's day 1 gamepass...

steam xbox - adeptpenguin