As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cities: Skylines 2 Now Available

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i have a 13900k with a 4080

i played on 4k high with a few key settings turned down per the devs instructions (volumetric clouds are extremely harsh)

i actually dont know the exact number of fps... its definitely not great, but its playable for me. 100% gpu utilization all the time. about 25% CPU

i think and hope that there will be easy things for them to improve

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I'm not touching this until the new year or a hail Mary patch comes in. I will say, it blows my mind that there are 100K players on STEAM alone AND the thing is Mostly Negative. I would think if you're playing the game now, you absolutely do not want to wait and are okay with the technical and graphical caveats (i.e., you know what you're getting yourself into).

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    Knight_
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    I'm not touching this until the new year or a hail Mary patch comes in. I will say, it blows my mind that there are 100K players on STEAM alone AND the thing is Mostly Negative. I would think if you're playing the game now, you absolutely do not want to wait and are okay with the technical and graphical caveats (i.e., you know what you're getting yourself into).

It's really not that bad so far on my work laptop (Ryzen 7 4800h, RTX 2060, 6GB VRAM). It still looks fairly good on 1080p on lower settings and I'm getting 25-30 fps. Now, how it goes on my desktop later will be another thing, but this doesn't feel much worse than most other games on this machine.

The biggest issue is the hitches and stuttering if I swing the camera around a lot zoomed in, but it is 100% playable.

i gotta be honest i think some people would actually rather pay 50 dollars just so they can publicly bitch about it

one guy compared it to the KSP2 release... its NOTHING like that at all

this is a complete game that runs slow. ksp2 is a pre-alpha.

but for someone to write that out with a straight face... that is the mindset of day 1 steam reviewers

MonwynStrikorMvrck
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    i'm having fun with it, my computer chugs and the medium graphics preset looks like city skylines 1 on very low but the gameplay is solid so i can deal with potato graphics for decent performance. It's another one of those i'd have been mad if i bought it but i'm happy with it on gamepass games

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    personally, i haven't seen anything in the cs2 experience that makes it worth upgrading over cs 1 if it runs like absolute dogwater as it seems to.

i think they would have done a lot better to just wait, but i guess paradox is pushing it out the door hell or high water. maybe the city builder genre is just cursed.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    Honestly every single thing I've seen is that the gameplay is great, it's just performance that drags it down.

As someone with a 2017-vintage i5 and a 1060 I'm obviously not thrilled about the technical issues but I'll take a fun game that runs poorly over a boring game at 120fps every day of the week. Improving performance is a hell of a lot easier than rebuilding poor game design.

Monwyn on
    uH3IcEi.png
    davidsdurions
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I haven't changed any settings, just left it at default. Possibly some of it is set high then. No rush for me though, I'm sure after a few months they will have improved it greatly.

I just booted it up on gamepass to see what all the jazz was about.

So some little tips for row housing:

Leave a strip at any corners empty to force it to fill in in the correct direction and not at weird right angles.
    Row housing is the only 1 wide building in the game, and can be anywhere from 2 to 6 tiles deep, with difference in actual density. So if you want to really cram them in, a 4 deep section of zoning sandwiched between two roads can be zoned 2 deep in succession and cram in a lot more housing than if you zoned it all at once and wound up with 4 deep buildings.

• SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    Anyone know how you get high density housing demand to increase? All it ever seems to want me to build is the low density stuff.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    i feel like i must have built my hydroelectric dam backwards somehow as it's not letting any water through, flooded my entire city, and generated next to no power..oops

StrikordavidsdurionsFoolOnTheHillJazzBrody
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    Paradox's latest BIG OOF. I think it is undeniable that we're past the enshitening phase and well into blatant cash grabbing. Cities Skylines 2 had no business being released today. There are some fantastically talented folks over at Colossal Order but unless they're given the time and resources they need to produce a functional game, we're only going to get shit. I feel so sorry for the developers. Fuck Paradox Interactive. I'm never buying another one of their games again. At this point I'm not even that mad. I'm mostly disappointed that I let myself get the least bit excited about a new game before it comes out.

59yid95zc7dm.png

That_Guy on
    jungleroomx
    edited October 2023
    The terraforming tools can suck my dick. a solid hour trying to level a mountain bordering an ocean so i could build a dock on it. "no water, too high, too low, no water" bitch i lowered the sea floor so much motherfucking poseidon could be drinking pina coladas 1 foot offshore . I shit you not it just gave me simultaneous errors of "in water" and "no water" trying to place the dock. fffffuuuu

taliosfalcon on
  • AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    I haven't played it myself, but I've watched actual people play this game. Your post, and those reviews, seem like an absurd overreaction. Yes, there are performance issues. Yes, it would be preferable if that were not the case. But this isn't a "cash grab", and it's not a "Mostly negative" game release.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
    davidsdurionsMonwynMvrckStabbity StyleHadesThe DeliveratorJazz
    Yeah it is the stuttering that would get to me. Before getting a new computer I was happy running something like CK3 at 30FPS. . .ish, as that was stable and you aren't often flying around your region (I like to as it breaks up the scenery but not by much). But I definitely am going to be zooming all over the city checking things out I'd imagine.

. . .I'm not done with PDX games for sure (waiting for the those next-generation versions of Europa and Hearts of Iron and of course - Stellaris), but boy does this sour me on these guys. Just no reason to do this to your developers.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Have an i7 8700k, a 3080, 16GB ram, and a fast nvme drive.
    Started up a game, set the resolution to 1440p, set the graphics to medium, and turned down the number of ray tracing steps a bit and was getting 50-60fps. Might turn to shit once a full city is built up, idk, but I also have plenty of room to adjust the settings down if need be. Seemed comfortable enough from what I touched.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Yeah it is the stuttering that would get to me. Before getting a new computer I was happy running something like CK3 at 30FPS. . .ish, as that was stable and you aren't often flying around your region (I like to as it breaks up the scenery but not by much). But I definitely am going to be zooming all over the city checking things out I'd imagine.

. . .I'm not done with PDX games for sure (waiting for the those next-generation versions of Europa and Hearts of Iron and of course - Stellaris), but boy does this sour me on these guys. Just no reason to do this to your developers.

Game's been in development for 5-6 years (they've said development started in 2018, so depends on when it kicked off during that year.) At some point you have to pull the trigger.

uH3IcEi.png
  • InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    It's weird seeing some people be like "30fps at 1080p, good enough for something simple like a city builder " and other people saying "30fps at 1080p is inexcusable in something simple like a city builder."

taliosfalconSynthesisFiatilJazz
    It's weird seeing some people be like "30fps at 1080p, good enough for something simple like a city builder " and other people saying "30fps at 1080p is inexcusable in something simple like a city builder."

The issue (as one of the former) is the level of hardware necessary to push 30fps at 1080p is kind of ridiculous. I get that my i5-7500 and 1060 have had a long, good life and it's time for them to be put out to pasture, but a 5600X and a 3060 TI are, what, three years old, will run everything else on the market at 60+ FPS/1080 with all the bells and whistles turned on, and CS2 struggles to hold 30.

uH3IcEi.png
    BahamutZERO
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    if it was actually just 30 i wouldn’t have trouble with it, cs1 runs bad once your city gets big too, tho it’s limited by your single thread cpu speed instead.

it’s the stuttering that’s unacceptable, just feels bad

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    For me, the most risiculous part is how they are insisting this is a next generation game. It's going to need high system requirements to run well.

And people are running it, according to that performance spreadsheet, with a 7950X3D and a 4090 and 96gb (that has to be a typo) of RAM and it's struggling to maintain 60fps for 100k population at 1920x1080. That there is not a next gen resolution for semi stable framerates on that rig made out of halo components.

-Loki- on
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    What has tempered my response to the game has been that despite my fps issue it is one of the least buggy Paradox games ive played at release. The game is fun.

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    yeah...there are performance issues and then there is whatever CS2 has...

I get better frames on CP2077 with RTX on and DLSS off lmao

I think none of us expected CS2 to be the next Crysis lmao

I'm not too worried, I'm sure they'll get it sorted. It's not great to release in this state but doesn't seem like something they can't come back from.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    For me, the most risiculous part is how they are insisting this is a next generation game. It's going to need high system requirements to run well.

And people are running it, according to that performance spreadsheet, with a 7950X3D and a 4090 and 96gb (that has to be a typo) of RAM and it's struggling to maintain 60fps for 100k population at 1920x1080. That there is not a next gen resolution for semi stable framerates on that rig made out of halo components.

96gb is the new hotness.

You can get 2x48GB DDR5.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »
    I'm not too worried, I'm sure they'll get it sorted. It's not great to release in this state but doesn't seem like something they can't come back from.

Yeah basically this. They can fix it, games have launched in worse states.

I'll just keep an eye on it and see how optimisation pans out over the coming weeks/months. If they just implement FSR 2/DLSS2 and call it a day, that would be disappointing. There's more going wrong under the hood than just what those would solve.

played it for 4 hours. performance for me was okay but it needed every ounce of the 4080 to sustain 4k rez and maintain 30-45fps. this is playable but i think it needs to be better

gameplay wise this is so much better than skylines 1 imo. much more decision making across the board, i rarely had to really sit and think about my actions in skylines 1... almost never. ive got more stuff to think about in this city than i can fit in my head at once. very cool

terrain tool sucks and that is a big problem because this game really needs a good terrain tool because left to its own devices this game does zany shit with lots, also the stock maps are generally very subtly hilly everywhere all the time so you're constantly dealing with elevation even in areas that are flat to the untrained eye

road tool is okay, bridge tool is infuriating....

overall im happy but they definitely have some work to do

Jasconius wrote: »
    played it for 4 hours. performance for me was okay but it needed every ounce of the 4080 to sustain 4k rez and maintain 30-45fps. this is playable but i think it needs to be better

gameplay wise this is so much better than skylines 1 imo. much more decision making across the board, i rarely had to really sit and think about my actions in skylines 1... almost never. ive got more stuff to think about in this city than i can fit in my head at once. very cool

terrain tool sucks and that is a big problem because this game really needs a good terrain tool because left to its own devices this game does zany shit with lots, also the stock maps are generally very subtly hilly everywhere all the time so you're constantly dealing with elevation even in areas that are flat to the untrained eye

road tool is okay, bridge tool is infuriating....

overall im happy but they definitely have some work to do

What is bothering/bad to you with the terrain tool? I've found it pretty effective and intuitive coming from modded CS1 so far. Not saying your wrong or invalid, but maybe something can be explained to make it less frustrating.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Ok, I get that I need to check privilege here, but the game runs totally acceptably on my 7950x3D with 4090 and 32GB of bleeding edge timed DDR5-6000, playing at 1440p ultrawide.

Should not need this kind of rig for a game that looks like this visually, there are lots of optimizations that will need to be done, but its fine. And for a zero-mod experience it is way better than CS1 was at launch.

Doesn't hold a candle to what you can do in a fully expanded/modded CS1, but this is always the case on the launch of a new title in a community-driven game like this.

There is a good game in here though, so I hope all of you get a chance to experience it cleanly in the near future.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Also I saw some videos of performance on the ROG Ally and, yeah no... this is not a game for that machine right now.

I can play Starfield and Cyberpunk on there well enough to be enjoyable, but this city builder is so unoptimized on the GPU that is absolutely bodies the little guy.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    So I saw another account had some Steambucks in it and grabbed the game. The performance isn't the nightmare I thought it would be, but it is pretty bad for the requirements; and, while I wouldn't call it a "cash grab" I can understand the sentiment. There's no way this should have come out as anything other than an Early Access title; the only way I can see this being okay is if the developer is confident that they can get this resolved in a timeframe that would render EA pointless. The developer put out a statement basically saying "Well, it wouldn't be unfair to delay the game to our waiting fans who would be okay with this performance" which - I don't think reads as positively as they think it does, especially given the performance. Which, again, isn't a nightmare starting out, but also isn't anywhere reflective of the visual quality the required tech produces.

I also loaded up the 100K save file floating around and performance is honestly about the same. I'm running a 5600XT/6800XT/32GB and at 1080P, 30FPS is doable on Very Low (it can go up to 60FPS but will depend on how much of the city you are viewing). The game does look really awful at this resolution and quality, but can look better without much performance tweaks by throwing some AA at the game and turning off dynamic scaling (it just looks bad, and is ONLY FSR1 because reasons).

The developer at least is saying that these are issues unrelated to the underlying core of the game (which I don't doubt as for all the talk about "simulations", my CPU wasn't going over 50% usage at ANY resolution and I think I had one stutter at the outset - though the frame rate is not at all smooth under any scenario), so that's good.

. . .still though: "dollars and cents" drove CO and PDX to release this game to successful launch numbers (we'll see how many REFUNDS there are in the review)s; if you look at the reviews by time played, people are essentially jumping in to see if they can run the thing and possibly bouncing or just leaving an angry review and waiting. As mentioned, they seem to be banking on consumers who are okay with a MVP to carry that initial release wave, which - just doesn't feel right. But, if you are one of those folks who wants to play the game, I think you can probably get a good game experience if not a visual one (1080P on High with recommended settings disabled gives expected performance on a starting city); otherwise, definitely wait on this.

cpus can be pretty disparate, in an interview they said it was cpu bound and on some cpus im sure it is but most high end desktop pcs seem comfortably up to the task, this was honestly my expectation

but them graphics tho
    Mvrck wrote: »

What is bothering/bad to you with the terrain tool? I've found it pretty effective and intuitive coming from modded CS1 so far. Not saying your wrong or invalid, but maybe something can be explained to make it less frustrating.

level terrain tool was randomly jutting upward on me so i'd be creating a plateau and suddenly bam giant column in the middle of nowhere.... nothing else that height anywhere nearby

i cant figure out how the slope tool works, sometimes it just draws flat.... to get a proper grade between two static points it feels like tons of guesswork

this matters a lot because lots are much more likely in this game to take liberties with the terrain....

For both leveling and slope, you want to right click the height you are aiming to end at first.

So if you're trying to grade a ramp for a road or train track, you would right click your high point flat spot, then go to the lower flat point you want to ramp to/from, then left click and drag back to the high spot.

I will be honest and say I have not turned any of the tutorials on so if that's not covered in them that is an issue for not explaining it in game.

That behavior from level terrain could be from having right clicked in a weird/different height spot or not clicked at all first.

re the terrain tools, i mentioned this earlier and its honestly probably more a building placement issue, but i spent a good hour+ trying to raise/lower a piece of coastline to the point where it would let me build a harbor on it, and ultimately gave up on it. they're very frustrating for small detail work like that, even lowering the brush strength and size. i have no problem with large scale though.

One of the radio commercials on the Urban Cities Radio plays like every other song and it's got a remarkably Maxis sort of weirdness to it

davidsdurionsFoolOnTheHill
    edited October 2023
    Another tip I saw - if you're getting inconsistently broken grids, turn off "Snap to Grid" in the road building tools, and that should clear most of them up.

Edit: And a tip for building quay walls with road cut and fill that I mostly just figured out (not 100% guaranteed to work, but seems to be going well for me so far) - flatten out the terrain past where you want your path/road to be, draw the road on the flattened terrain, then smooth the terrain back until it's hitting the road but likely would be smoothing past. Then you can delete that section of road, and you should be able to rebuild it with the cut and fill wall in place without too much issue, and without the massive changes in path height that doing it normally brings.

Double Edit: I did an imgur album to kinda show what I mean.

Mvrck on
    taliosfalcon
    Cedarburg: Sweeping Plains map, 28.4k population
    edk1b8usw3xs.jpg

davidsdurionsDixonsyndalis
    Getting "Not enough customers" on various types of commercial... hmm
    Lowered taxes on some types but they're still struggling too

10k citizens is about the mark where my computer starts to throw in the towel.. especially when it starts snowing

the not enough customers thing im still trying to figure out. i think its traffic related but hard to be sure

Jasconius wrote: »
    10k citizens is about the mark where my computer starts to throw in the towel.. especially when it starts snowing

the not enough customers thing im still trying to figure out. i think its traffic related but hard to be sure

I'm at the point where I think it's either the cost of goods is too high (ie production is running a deficit and you're importing a ton) for the business, or it's just a bug. Basically all my commercial buildings are like that and I'm not seeing any real issues with abandonment or anything. I just think that there's no other "we're not really making money" message so it defaults to that.

Also I am an idiot and it took me far, far too long to find the actual sidewalk (not the pedestrian road) under landscaping. Being able to use it to cut up my downtown blocks and space out the mid and high density buildings is making things look so much nicer. I'm basically going to have to go back in and redo block by block of my city to help incorporate this to make it look better.

wondering if taxation may also be factor, i started getting it around the time I raised residential taxes, supposedly it simulates consumer spending, and perhaps commercial zoning demand and the ability of residents to actually shop are not directly attached to one another

cant figure out how to build a good tunnel. i have a huge mountain... i can get the first segment of a tunnel just fine, the part where I burrow into the mountain... get my nice tunnel entrance, but from there.... the road elevation tool only lets you go +50 or -50m, but as you drag a road segment into the mountain, the road wants to follow the slope of the mountain in parallel, no matter you set the elevation setting...