As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cities: Skylines 2 Now Available

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Yeah the tunneling is a little weird. Having just done some subway stuff and running a lot of my high voltage undergroubd, I 100% see why they did it like they did, but it does raise some weird cases that cause issues.

There needs to be a toggle for terrain following even if it winds up with a track or road that is 150 meters down.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    1698311826479065.png?ex=654d2db4&is=653ab8b4&hm=241fc411e7c893065d1a532f42573f20a7ffd1a60400227de26ce28e3d8a47df&=&width=464&height=597

Hey guys I have a suspicion about something that might be related to performance.

• InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    Subreddit says parking can help with "not enough customers"? Makes sense, I wouldn't shop somewhere with a half hour parking adventure if I had other options

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i was experimenting with parking last night, im not sure what it does specifically but it does *something*

i am currently under the impression that the biggest impact parking has is on traffic jams, as parked cars appear to have influence on cars spontaneously doing u-turns and trying to enter/exit driveways

also when you do asymmetrical multi-laners that generally voids the parking lane, which I think may be significant to the simulation

very cool if all this ends up bearing out

So it may also have to do with transit and/or mail service?

I did both of these at near the same time so I'm not 100% sure if either or both had an effect, but I lowered my transit prices and saw that my mail service was overwhelmed (despite having "good" service) and added two more garages of trucks. Pretty soon I realized that all my customer issues had evaporated. I'm assuming it had more to do with transit and more people being willing to not drive but maybe double check your mail as well to be safe.

ive been having plenty of issues that i think are all traffic related but the traffic issues are manifesting differently than in Skylines 1.. so its a learning curve

for example I have a cemetery which has plenty of hearses but almost any death results in a "not here fast enough" bubble

you go and look on the roads and it doesn't look too bad, but there are some navigability problems that don't seem to necessarily manifest as angry red road on the traffic map or even a traffic jam. i do think parking may have a role in this somehow

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    1698311826479065.png?ex=654d2db4&is=653ab8b4&hm=241fc411e7c893065d1a532f42573f20a7ffd1a60400227de26ce28e3d8a47df&=&width=464&height=597

Hey guys I have a suspicion about something that might be related to performance.

If performance cleans up because some rando found this… I mean it’s easy enough to overlook but also kinda embarrassing.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    it seems like there's a lot of shit going sideways with the lods. cims are rendered using comically high poly models at all times, props are rendering even if you can't see them, shadow rendering has a similar problem so it both brutalizes performance and looks like trash.

also other stuff like the game is making the gpu generate textures at runtime in the beginning of a frame and then chucking them away at the end of a frame and doing it again over and over every time.

just really, really, really poor optimization top to bottom. they should not have released this game yet.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    it seems like there's a lot of shit going sideways with the lods. cims are rendered using comically high poly models at all times, props are rendering even if you can't see them, shadow rendering has a similar problem so it both brutalizes performance and looks like trash.

also other stuff like the game is making the gpu generate textures at runtime in the beginning of a frame and then chucking them away at the end of a frame and doing it again over and over every time.

just really, really, really poor optimization top to bottom. they should not have released this game yet.

New hotfix seems to be addressing the LOD issue: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/patch-notes-for-1-0-11f1-hotfix.1604140/
    Today we have the first of several patches to improve performance in Cities: Skylines II. While this does not address all issues we are aware of, we wanted to get you these improvements as soon as possible. Unfortunately, this patch is only available on Steam today. We're doing our very best to make it available on Microsoft Store as soon as possible.

This patch includes the following improvements and fixes:

Changed LOD to be independent of rendering resolution to get more consistent performance with high resolutions
    Minor optimization with fog
    Depth of field optimizations and tweaks
    Global illumination tweaks
    Optimized stutters when buildings spawn/level up
    Optimized various stutters across all systems
    Fixed crash after upgrading wind turbine
    Fixed crash when car crashes into still hidden car with trailer
    Fixed crash with mesh loading (that happens with low settings mostly)

uH3IcEi.png
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    At this point I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out all the CIMs are playing literal Dwarf Fortress in their homes.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    Does anyone else's "office wealth" statistics view show offices just growing into the negative?

edited October 2023
    todays' patch plus a few more minor settings tweaks doubled my FPS. im holding 45-60 all the time now

its hard to say any one thing contributed, but i did fix my mass "not enough customers" problem, which was done with a litany of traffic improvements and a slight tax decrease on residential from 12 to 9%... i went from like half my downtown commerce having that bubble to only 2-3 buildings

*edit* oh and if you want a good tunnel under a mountain of any height, what you have to do to avoid the agony of the underground tool is basically make your end points on both sides of the mountain by burrowing in just a little bit just to make the tunnel entrances, then you can connect the two as best you can in a single segment and that will make a very normal reasonable tunnel

Jasconius on
    edited October 2023
    Up to 55k folks and still at 20ish fps if I stay zoomed out. Getting the cim LOD stuff resolved should definitely be priority #1 for them.

If anyone is having traffic issues, make liberal use of raised and tunneled pedestrian walkways. They cause me more traffic hangup than any amount of industry right now. Barrier island presents some challenges with it in particular because you are cul de sacced for quite a while until you can justify buying a second or third route to the high way. And the shipping lanes restrict what you can bridge effectively without messing with them too much, which requires even more tile purchasing.

Mvrck on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    So, a super annoying thing.

If you are playing this through game pass, you are going to be on a much slower patch cycle it would seem. The patch released days ago on steam is still not available there, and I would really like that performance bump.

I might actually consider buying the damn game on steam if this becomes a thing.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    put quite a bit of time into the game over the weekend. my city didn't get mega huge or anything but i got up to about 20-25k residents

overall i am finding the game to be pretty good. it has SOME problems but most are minor.

the two things I'd really like to see addressed in the short term...

- something is wrong with parking. i have a 'downtown' that barely has any high density buildings but there's almost no limit to how many parking lots I can build... im up to.... 7 or 8? to cover 8 small blocks, they are always full all the time, and the second i drop a new one my cims swarm it like ants on a dropped potato chip which causes ridiculous short term traffic issues. despite this, all my roads are still filled with parallel parkers.

- Children are not distributed correctly amongst zone density, this makes for awkward elementary school placement... all residential types have an equal ratio of children meaning an area with highrises could need numerous elementary schools, and massive sprawls of light residential barely need one school. this is wrong.

other than that not finding much wrong compared to Skylines 1.. there's oddities with services (ambulance always late!) but that was also a problem with 1

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    put quite a bit of time into the game over the weekend. my city didn't get mega huge or anything but i got up to about 20-25k residents

overall i am finding the game to be pretty good. it has SOME problems but most are minor.

the two things I'd really like to see addressed in the short term...

- something is wrong with parking. i have a 'downtown' that barely has any high density buildings but there's almost no limit to how many parking lots I can build... im up to.... 7 or 8? to cover 8 small blocks, they are always full all the time, and the second i drop a new one my cims swarm it like ants on a dropped potato chip which causes ridiculous short term traffic issues. despite this, all my roads are still filled with parallel parkers.

- Children are not distributed correctly amongst zone density, this makes for awkward elementary school placement... all residential types have an equal ratio of children meaning an area with highrises could need numerous elementary schools, and massive sprawls of light residential barely need one school. this is wrong.

other than that not finding much wrong compared to Skylines 1.. there's oddities with services (ambulance always late!) but that was also a problem with 1

You can switch up the road's options to remove the curbside parking entirely if that's the goal.

Areas with more people need more school capacity. I'm not seeing what's wrong about that. If there's a problem it's that there's no high or low density school building option to match.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    There is a relatively annoying bug with mail service fyi. Cargo ports and cargo train terminals will hoover up mail and keep it in storage leading post offices to be unable to deliver it, leading to your city being unhappy with mail service.

It's been acknowledged so hopefully it is patched relatively soon.

However, deleting my cargo port also clued me into something else - they provide near infinite commercial demand. I've been having basically all my businesses having "not enough customers" messages despite my demand being non stop, leading me to being very confused.

When I removed the port, my commercial demand has catered, and I haven't seen so much as a pixel of blue demand since, despite adding 20k more people in the meantime.

I honestly don't know if that's expected behavior or not? Despite the lack of customers, almost all of those commercial buildings were still level 4 or 5 and wealthy. So it wasn't like they were abandoning and failing.

edited October 2023
    Mvrck wrote: »
    There is a relatively annoying bug with mail service fyi. Cargo ports and cargo train terminals will hoover up mail and keep it in storage leading post offices to be unable to deliver it, leading to your city being unhappy with mail service.

It's been acknowledged so hopefully it is patched relatively soon.

However, deleting my cargo port also clued me into something else - they provide near infinite commercial demand. I've been having basically all my businesses having "not enough customers" messages despite my demand being non stop, leading me to being very confused.

When I removed the port, my commercial demand has catered, and I haven't seen so much as a pixel of blue demand since, despite adding 20k more people in the meantime.

I honestly don't know if that's expected behavior or not? Despite the lack of customers, almost all of those commercial buildings were still level 4 or 5 and wealthy. So it wasn't like they were abandoning and failing.

Yeah that sounds like expected behavior. The port serves to give businesses a very large market external to your city to sell their goods to. When you removed it, there's simply not enough people in your city to support the amount of commercial businesses you have built. Or perhaps more accurately, the port isn't counted as a bunch of customers as far as the warning is concerned, only the local customers are.

SiliconStew on
    i think there are demand bugs but its hard to prove. ive had two different cities have cases where there was seemingly no demand for something, and then as soon as you spur it to start generating demand, the demand becomes like... almost functionally infinite. i dont know. its very hard to prove one way or another

but like.. in microcosm.. unlock office tiles.... no demand forever... lower taxes to 0%.... immediate office demand... build offices, raise taxes back to default, office demand holds and never goes away again with only minor population changes (???)

i think overall the engine is sound but probably just needs some sensitivity tweaks... i know its not like sim city... it IS possible to just have a positive feedback loop that yields limitless demand... but its not hard to get to

on your commerce issues, the commercial buildings were high level, but did they still have tenants? I noticed that industrial buildings can have a tenant, level up, the tenant can move out, and the building will just hold its level even though its conducting no business. you could have a lot of vacant stores?

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    So, a super annoying thing.

If you are playing this through game pass, you are going to be on a much slower patch cycle it would seem. The patch released days ago on steam is still not available there, and I would really like that performance bump.

I might actually consider buying the damn game on steam if this becomes a thing.

Well, I'll hold off on downloading it. Starfield is updated at the same pace, or faster, than the Steam release, but considering that's Microsoft's own internal studios, that's unsurprising.

Thanks for the heads up. I struggled to get into the original Cities: Skylines mostly for difficult to explain reasons of "perplexing design choices," but I just ended up going back to SimCity 4 and pretending it was a decade or two ago. I was quite interested on this, but that was with the unfounded assumption of, "Well, they're moving to a full sequel, so content is obviously going to be limited but performance should be much improved!"

Yeah that sounds like expected behavior. The port serves to give businesses a very large market external to your city to sell their goods to. When you removed it, there's simply not enough people in your city to support the amount of commercial businesses you have built. Or perhaps more accurately, the port isn't counted as a bunch of customers as far as the warning is concerned, only the local customers are.

Sorry I may not have been clear - I had near infinite commercial demand, despite the slew of "Not enough customer" messages, until I deleted the port, then demand cratered and still hasn't recovered.

The check on customers appears to be completely independent of the demand bar, so even if you have demand, you may not want to zone commercial or mixed use if you have a lack of customers already, as well as customer requirements seem to shift higher with building upgrades. A level 2 store doesn't appear to need as many customers as a level 4 or 5 does. Unless there's something else going on where higher level stores have higher prices internally and customers avoid them - I tend not to see the not enough customers message if I rebuild/rezone until the business levels up some.

• taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    I had wondered why on gamepass i hadn't noticed any performance change after the performance patch, now i know why :(

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
    edited October 2023
    Jasconius wrote: »
    i think there are demand bugs but its hard to prove. ive had two different cities have cases where there was seemingly no demand for something, and then as soon as you spur it to start generating demand, the demand becomes like... almost functionally infinite. i dont know. its very hard to prove one way or another

but like.. in microcosm.. unlock office tiles.... no demand forever... lower taxes to 0%.... immediate office demand... build offices, raise taxes back to default, office demand holds and never goes away again with only minor population changes (???)

i think overall the engine is sound but probably just needs some sensitivity tweaks... i know its not like sim city... it IS possible to just have a positive feedback loop that yields limitless demand... but its not hard to get to

on your commerce issues, the commercial buildings were high level, but did they still have tenants? I noticed that industrial buildings can have a tenant, level up, the tenant can move out, and the building will just hold its level even though its conducting no business. you could have a lot of vacant stores?

I think office demand is driven by education level of your populace. Once you start putting Cims through higher level education, they want those higher level jobs, and the jobs mean more cims will go through higher education because of perceived lifetime earnings, and thus demand continues to climb and climb and climb.

Edit: To elaborate - when Cims graduate each level of schooling, they make a check and decide whether the most efficient way to earn the most money for the rest of their lives. So starting out, before you have a lot of high tier industrial or office jobs, Cims will see a swath of jobs requiring "Poorly educated" or "Educated" and call it a day after elementary or high school, because there are no higher earning jobs to offset the opportunity cost of earning some money now.

As higher level jobs come around, they'll stick in school longer because the net gain in lifetime pay will outweigh the short term loss of income by sticking in school.

Mvrck on
  • StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    I haven't run into the mail issue yet but the way cargo is handled in 2 makes no sense to me whatsoever.

CS1: Industry loves dropping cargo off at the cargo train terminal for export. Trains then depart and export goods. CS2: I don't even know. All the cargo terminal seems to do is act as an import/storage warehouse. I never see industry endlessly driving trucks to it, my trains only imports things when it's under 222t and always leave empty.
    CS1: Landfill gets full so I start emptying it. A fleet of trucks immediately starts moving trash elsewhere, usually to an incinerator or recycling center. CS2: Landfill gets full so I start emptying it. Nothing happens. Once or twice a day the incinerator will send out a single dump truck to collect garbage from the landfill, often times not even filling it up to full.

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Strikor wrote: »
    I haven't run into the mail issue yet but the way cargo is handled in 2 makes no sense to me whatsoever.

CS1: Industry loves dropping cargo off at the cargo train terminal for export. Trains then depart and export goods. CS2: I don't even know. All the cargo terminal seems to do is act as an import/storage warehouse. I never see industry endlessly driving trucks to it, my trains only imports things when it's under 222t and always leave empty.
    CS1: Landfill gets full so I start emptying it. A fleet of trucks immediately starts moving trash elsewhere, usually to an incinerator or recycling center. CS2: Landfill gets full so I start emptying it. Nothing happens. Once or twice a day the incinerator will send out a single dump truck to collect garbage from the landfill, often times not even filling it up to full.

Good news. You can just delete landfills when they... fill up.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    About the high poly cims - watching a video right now were a streamer (Biffa? I'm not familiar with Skylines streamers) is going through the developer tools you can turn on in the command line.

He averages 60fps. Deletes a building with 280 residents, which dumps a bunch of cims on the street, and his FPS drops to about 35-40 while zoomed in on them. Turns on developer tools, disables cim hair making them all bald, and his fps immediately hits 60 while still zoomed on the now bald cims.

Cims are absurdly high poly. Which I mean, sure if you want it to look good while zoomed in at street view for fun, but most of Skylines gameplay is zoomed way out, it's a city builder. Cim LODs is something that should be been sorted first.

Strikor wrote: »

i noticed this too... it does... something... but definitely not as cathartic as cs1

overall garbage collection in cs2 is potentially sus since no matter what garbage infrastructure you build it seems like its always enough and hardly any of your truck fleet gets used...

in cs1 bad garbage pickup was one of the first things you encountered, i felt

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Been giving CS2 a whirl last few days. Barely scratched the surface so far. I have a quandary already though... I have a huge demand for high density residential (and nothing else), but won't have the ability to build it for another 3 city levels. For medium density, the demand bar didn't even exist until I was able to build it.

Bug or...?

Campy wrote: »
    Been giving CS2 a whirl last few days. Barely scratched the surface so far. I have a quandary already though... I have a huge demand for high density residential (and nothing else), but won't have the ability to build it for another 3 city levels. For medium density, the demand bar didn't even exist until I was able to build it.

Bug or...?

Any city demands/issues should only appear the instant you unlock them. So you don't have any medium density demand until you unlock medium density housing. You don't have any crime until you unlock police stations, etc.

Did you unlock Low Rent housing? Those apartments count as high density and are separate from High Density housing.

Campy wrote: »

Bug or...?

Any city demands/issues should only appear the instant you unlock them. So you don't have any medium density demand until you unlock medium density housing. You don't have any crime until you unlock police stations, etc.

Did you unlock Low Rent housing? Those apartments count as high density and are separate from High Density housing.

Aaah, ding ding ding.

• StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    About the high poly cims - watching a video right now were a streamer (Biffa? I'm not familiar with Skylines streamers) is going through the developer tools you can turn on in the command line.

He averages 60fps. Deletes a building with 280 residents, which dumps a bunch of cims on the street, and his FPS drops to about 35-40 while zoomed in on them. Turns on developer tools, disables cim hair making them all bald, and his fps immediately hits 60 while still zoomed on the now bald cims.

Cims are absurdly high poly. Which I mean, sure if you want it to look good while zoomed in at street view for fun, but most of Skylines gameplay is zoomed way out, it's a city builder. Cim LODs is something that should be been sorted first.

I just messed around with this and the hair barely made any difference but skin did. Gotta render every individual pore, I guess?

Slightly more noticeable when people are walking around without arms and faces compared to being bald, though.

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    It would be cool if you could set the LOD on just Cims. I bet there will be a mod for that if the devs don't fix it first.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    So Game Pass just got 1.0.11 - not seeing dramatic improvements here, but I already dialed LOD to low.

Fingers crossed patch schedules go faster in the future.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Ok, so last night I saw a horrifying thing happen.

There is a suspension bridge that connects the two halves of my city.

A tornado blasted through the river, and across the bridge during a traffic jam.

This was followed by a number of "traffic accident" markers - first on the bridge, then at the bottom of river around the bridge. Then waiting for hearse markers shortly after... waiting at the bottom of the river.

Probably the darkest thing I have seen one of these games do.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Triple p-p-post here - but another observation; if you are experiencing random crashes to desktop, and your player.log file, located in "{{USER}}\AppData\LocalLow\Collosal Order\Cities Skylines II" has the following line in it:
    Virtual texturing warning: W1003: Transcoded a tile but no space was left in GPU cache of type BC7 UNORM to accommodate it. This probably means that the GPU is too small for the requested data.

Go into your GPU's control panel (Nvidia Control Panel, Radeon Adrenalin), and go to the game specific 3D settings and cap the frame rate to something. I set it to 60fps on my machine (4090) and even though I rarely stay pegged at the FPS, the fact that it doesn't ever try to overshoot that target means that the GPU isn't getting ahead of the game and leading to a unhandled situation where they flood the memory with shit.

I think this is an unoptimized game, folks.

Also, definitely turn on auto save. I have already lost a couple hours of work to the crashes... and also the lack of an undo feature makes it nice that I have 10 autosaves at 5 minute intervals giving me nearly an hour of walking things back if I don't like the direction I went.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Triple p-p-post here - but another observation; if you are experiencing random crashes to desktop, and your player.log file, located in "{{USER}}\AppData\LocalLow\Collosal Order\Cities Skylines II" has the following line in it:
    Virtual texturing warning: W1003: Transcoded a tile but no space was left in GPU cache of type BC7 UNORM to accommodate it. This probably means that the GPU is too small for the requested data.

Go into your GPU's control panel (Nvidia Control Panel, Radeon Adrenalin), and go to the game specific 3D settings and cap the frame rate to something. I set it to 60fps on my machine (4090) and even though I rarely stay pegged at the FPS, the fact that it doesn't ever try to overshoot that target means that the GPU isn't getting ahead of the game and leading to a unhandled situation where they flood the memory with shit.

I think this is an unoptimized game, folks.

Also, definitely turn on auto save. I have already lost a couple hours of work to the crashes... and also the lack of an undo feature makes it nice that I have 10 autosaves at 5 minute intervals giving me nearly an hour of walking things back if I don't like the direction I went.

I've found Continue Gane occasionally starts from the last automated instead of the last manual save, so that is a thing to watch for with the automated.

Still not sure why it's not on by default though.

another patch just hit steam. there are some optimizations in the notes but for me it created no improvement, although I was already very much to a playable state

they also claim to fix some of the no customer stuff, looking forward to that

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I hate how I start to feel good about my city, and then it all collapses in a traffic storm…

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    Brody wrote: »
    I hate how I start to feel good about my city, and then it all collapses in a traffic storm…

the game really wants you to think about small/medium/large road networks and highways deliberately.

Rings are powerful, especially inside denser areas where you can get folks to skip large chunks of the small road networks.

If your arteries into and out of city areas are getting clogged up, figure out how to distribute entry of the traffic into the city through faster alternate paths. Click on a sampling of cars when paused and see where their destinations are going to be. Build for the folks who have a reasonably short distance as the bird flies, but have to pass through a lot of roads to get there.

Finally, do the same for commuters. Check out where people in your dense residentials are commuting to, and create tram, subway and bus lines that handle the commutes.

I very rarely have red on my map at 140,000 cims right now, just some dark orange at some of the larger arteries when I am doing mass movement activities like standing up multiple high density residential towers.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Is there a way to see where cims commutes are? Outside of looking at individuals?