As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cities: Skylines 2 Now Available

1484950515254»

• President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    Mine runs alright in gamepass with some of the updates (on a 3080 Ti). But their solution appeared to be just absolutely murdering the graphics to the point that it looks worse than CS1 with weird tree and vehicle pop-in. (Although I have not tries readjusting my sliders yet.)

I am hoping they don't go the full Kerbal Space Program 2 route but they seem to be falling off quickly.

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    There's an early version of a traffic light enhancement mod out. Provides 3 and 4-way light phasing, protected left, and pedestrian exclusive phases. Other types of junctions still work like vanilla but you can add a pedestrian phase. Also allows for lane direction control with allow/deny Left, Right, Ahead, U-turn for each lane of a road. Lane control doesn't yet work for roundabouts.

https://github.com/slyh/Cities2-Various-Mods

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    StrikorInfamyDeferred
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    So I have taken my first city to roughly 200k people, got level 20, and its looking pretty nice.

z00muajnqgbx.jpg

i9aaoblve2fw.jpg

But the myriad issues with how the mechanics work, coupled with it being effectively impossible to go broke, have really killed the enjoyment...

ed0izxws738z.jpg

obtcwochq46h.jpg

odwn5wtt4p5n.jpg

bgnp6xnjkms8.jpg

So, I have gone back to Cities: Skylines 1, and in half the time I have the foundation in place, with ~70k citizens, and honestly a much more alive city.

xj89skaeo980.jpg

cfgb3fhdwd3m.jpg

There are a couple of must-have mods that look like what Colossal Order borrowed from when making 2 (81 tiles has the "roads carry water and electricity feature, for instance), and there is an asset on the marketplace that converts wastewater into trash, which handles that nice thing from 2. With TM:PE, you get much better road management than 2 has, even though 2 lets you paint more interesting roads. I will gladly give that painting ability up in exchange for being able to choose if a stoplight is needed on a roundabout or not, and being able to chain-time streetlights on busy avenues fixes so many of the artificial traffic issues...

Yeah, 2 needs more time in the oven. They had to release it at some point, I get it... but I think they could have released it 6 months ago in early access, got feedback sooner rather than later, and then kept it in EA for a couple of years until the core was tight.

As it stands, I got it for free from gamepass so I am not mad, and I already got 90 hours out of it, so it has amazing potential. It just isn't there yet.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    mrpakuTurambarFoolOnTheHill
  • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    Yeaaah some of those screenshots, like the one with the bajillion pedestrians stuck on a crosswalk, make me skeptical that it's just a simple numbers tweak thing to fix a lot of this. There appears to be quite a bit of gunk in the works.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
    syndalis
  • MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Fiatil wrote: »
    Yeaaah some of those screenshots, like the one with the bajillion pedestrians stuck on a crosswalk, make me skeptical that it's just a simple numbers tweak thing to fix a lot of this. There appears to be quite a bit of gunk in the works.

Unreasonable numbers of pedestrians at a given crosswalk happens a lot in CS1 as well when there's a public transport stop nearby.

uH3IcEi.png
    FoolOnTheHill
  • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Haha well all that does is make me feel worse about their long term prospects of fixing it I guess.

I want this game to be awesome, just looks kind of iffy from the stuff I've seen. There just aren't a lot of options in the city builder genre right now, and I hope they can get it in the right shape as I want to buy the darn thing eventually.

steam_sig.png
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    Games that have a passionate community that provides lots of love and mod support seem to, more often than not, have disappointing, too-long-delayed, underbaked sequels. Especially these days.

Looking at you, KSP2.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
    FiatilSatsumomodavidsdurions
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Dac wrote: »
    Games that have a passionate community that provides lots of love and mod support seem to, more often than not, have disappointing, too-long-delayed, underbaked sequels. Especially these days.

Looking at you, KSP2.

I feel like just adding some nice visual features to CS1 like HDR, increasing the max RICO asset size to account for larger non-landmark structures, building a few of the better road building tools into 1 while baking a few of the must-have mods directly into the core game (TM:PE for traffic management and 81 tiles for larger land and easier power/water delivery via roads), and taking a bunch of their older DLC Expansions and making them part of core. That would have been great, and probably would have given them another 3-4 years of ramp to finish a proper 2.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    DacKnight_
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i saw a really interesting reddit post yesterday that claimed that "not enough customers" is not necessarily caused by "not enough customers" but that lot size influences the price of goods so if you only put max tile commerce then you'll only have high end goods which floods the market and doesn't serve lower income cims

if true this is a great bit of insight that is almost entirely imperceptible in the UI

this is a good example of why im not playing right now because its one thing for the sim to be broken, but its quite another for the sim to be inscrutably broken... like my trams... that take close to a full ingame hour to board a couple of dozen passengers. apparently this is just something that happens when your city gets big enough... this causes a negative chain reaction which basically causes your public transit to fail... what can you do to fix it? apparently nothing!

now for me, i personally witnessed my trams not working, but if you hadn't zoomed in and seen that then you might be sitting there mystified why your city of 50k people only has 70 tram passengers

Fiatil
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    So I’ve been playing this almost exclusively on my Rog Ally and it runs pretty great in my opinion. The unofficial mods are starting to roll in. It still needs the ongoing work from the developer, but that work is being done.

I think once official mod support gets implemented, it’s really going to expand the experience. The bones are so good, there has to be an amazing game built on this structure.

I’m having fun, especially with the small tweaks from the modding community already, and it runs decently on my handheld, so, I’m giving it a passing grade so far. Excited to see the future!

anyone ever done a city successfully using parallel one way roads for major arteries? you see it IRL in some places.... I did a experiment city for this and it was fine at first but it ended up being a major disaster once traffic got heavier.... the intersections just dont work and the problem is if you want to abort and convert to a regular road... your space requirements are so different you end up having to demolish half your town anyway. not recommended

going to try just using medium roads with dividers... i find a lot of traffic issues created by arbitrary left turns (especially into parking lots)

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    The real trick is to make public transport more attractive than personal transport. I don't know how well this might be implemented in CS2, but in the first game I purposefully made it so cim's commutes by car were miserable and so they all flocked to public transport and alleviated all of my traffic woes.

FoolOnTheHill
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    The real trick is to make public transport more attractive than personal transport. I don't know how well this might be implemented in CS2, but in the first game I purposefully made it so cim's commutes by car were miserable and so they all flocked to public transport and alleviated all of my traffic woes.

You basically do that in this game by having good public transit and no street parking.

syndalis
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Satsumomo wrote: »

You basically do that in this game by having good public transit and no street parking.

The second you place your first parking lot, you are fucked.

The better move is to make sure that every possible connected town on your map (air, land and sea) has a public transit connector that feeds into some kind of grand central station.

So think

Airport > Subway > Tram Downtown

Commuter Ship > Bus > Bus/Subway interchange

Express Bus lines that go from one highway connection back to the Grand Central - literally 2 stops. The station, and the border.

And, no parking anywhere. Use the road upgrade tools to fill in all street parking with trees, grass or wide sidewalks. Do not install parking decks. Use policies to deny access to your districts to cars.

If you do this, the only vehicles on the road should be busses, cabs (but less of them due to your bus lines from other cities), and service vehicles.

This all seems good, but you need to then go to your densest intersections and get rid of all crosswalks and build either elevated or tunneled pedestrian crossings to avoid the absolute traffic hell they will start producing now that people are going to be walking a lot more.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Jasconius wrote: »
    i saw a really interesting reddit post yesterday that claimed that "not enough customers" is not necessarily caused by "not enough customers" but that lot size influences the price of goods so if you only put max tile commerce then you'll only have high end goods which floods the market and doesn't serve lower income cims

Having had a moment to think about this, this is a crazy dumb mechanic.

Cartier stores are tiny compared to wal marts. Building size in commerce has literally no relation to cost of goods as much as the neighborhood the commercial zone is located in, and what products they sell.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    FiatilInfamyDeferred
  • InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    Size and density should probably increase the diversity of goods sold, not the price

HappylilElfsyndalisFiatil
    Another patch today.

Highlights include two new maps, fixing the "blobbing" graphical issue, optimized models for cims, and a lot of cargo routing/use changes.

no noticeable different for me... if anything its worse. i saw some screenshots of skylines 1 the other day and.... i feel like if anything skylines 1 looks better just for the lack of glitches and model variety....

just staying away for now until i see some really concrete community feedback that the game is in good shape

Fiatil
    I can agree that the lack of model variety is a minus right now, but on the other hand, it's hard to fairly compare a game with 10 years of assets to one on release. The base CS1 to this day doesn't have a whole lot of variety, you're still reliant on mods and DLC to get there. And you can still make some really nice looking stuff in CS:2.

I'm trying my hands at doing pre-planned neighborhoods/communities now to help reduce grid sprawl and I'm starting to get the hang of it and like how it's making my city look. I'll still do some normal blocks going forward, but I definitely think I want to do more along these lines in the future, it really makes things feel more dynamic without arbitrarily creating randomly winding roads without the terrain to justify them.
    5wd5W5M.jpg
    QI0R8Ko.jpg
    6dc4xFA.jpg

Strikor