Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Cities: Skylines | Industrial DLC is out

That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guyRegistered User regular
edited November 2018 in Games and Technology
The Cities in Motion chaps are back to completely take the piss out of Simcity 2013. The Dev Diries do a far better job of explaining the game (with screenshots) than I could. Check them out.

You can preorder it on Steam
http://store.steampowered.com/app/255710

camo_sig.png
That_Guy on

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    It's made by the Cities XL people, correct?

PSN/XBL/Nintendo/Origin/Steam: Nightslyr 3DS: 1607-1682-2948
    Switch: SW-3515-0057-3813 FF XIV: Q'vehn Tia
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Same guys who do Cities:XXL right? I never tried any of the Cities games before, so don't have a real base for comparing them to the SimCity games. Are the Cities games generally well-received? Skylines looks pretty cool.

akyxa17p3s5g.png
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    Nope, this is by the Cities in Motion folk. It really does look like SC2013 done right, assuming they actually pull everything off.

steam_sig.png
    PoketpixieDelmain
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    New thread title. This game is in no way related to the CitiesXL series. It's made by the same guys who made CIties in Motion. From what I have seen so far, the amount of stuff is relatively limited, but you can do a lot more with it. It's got full mod support with Steam Workshop so hopefully we will see a lot of new architecture types.

camo_sig.png
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Registered User regular
    Color me interested! I will be keeping a close eye on this and see what comes of it after launch. Everything they are showing is right up my alley, so it will be more a matter of how much variety and depth they can put into the simulation.

I get the impression these guys saw a real opening in the city simulator after SimCity's colossal failure, so here's hoping!

That_GuyPoketpixie
  • MegaPureiboiMegaPureiboi Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Just watched this today, makes this a day 1 purchase for me.

Also the release date is March 10th.

This is the recording of a live Twich from earlier today (I think) with Quill18, so I'm sure he will have Let's Plays soon.
    http://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive/b/623748169?t=66m57s

MegaPureiboi on
    Xbox Live: Keml0
    Steam: Kemlo
    That_Guy
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    hmmm
    cities in motion 1 and 2 are great, hopes up on this

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Pete0rPete0r Registered User regular
    I loved playing Cities in Motion 1 & 2, watching people scurrying around and using my transport network. My only complaint was that the cities always felt too static, and I didn't feel connected to them as I do with something like Transport Tycoon where as the game progresses the city grows and I must adapt to the changes.
    This looks like it will hit all the right notes for me and I will be able to abuse manage my ant farm.

That first video sold me on the game. I preordered it on Steam.

Those maps are HUUUUUUGE.

camo_sig.png
    edited February 2015
    New Dev Blog.

Edit: Those map biomes are pretty slick looking.

And devs have confirmed proper multicore support.

That_Guy on
    camo_sig.png
  • DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    I am cautiously excited for this.

PoketpixieMr RayQuidDoctorArch
    If you guys haven't read all the dev diaries, they are in the OP now. I am getting really excited for this.

camo_sig.png
    This looks promising. I hope they build something to make the connection to the highway easier and prettier. Kinda awkward to merge one-way roads if it remains like it was in the video above.

Nightslyr wrote: »
    This looks promising. I hope they build something to make the connection to the highway easier and prettier. Kinda awkward to merge one-way roads if it remains like it was in the video above.

I was reading the dev dairy on roads last night. Highways can be placed wherever you want. They separate each direction so you can freeform complex on and off ramps.

b2srtau.png

camo_sig.png
    Poketpixie
    Oooh, that's pretty cool.

I really like how the game unfolds through play, opening up both new demands and the ways to meet those demands as you get the hang of playing. It's a nice model. Other city builders do something similar by just making things prohibitively expensive, but this actually locks things behind achievement walls, so as you master a certain level of play, things open up naturally.

MegaPureiboi
    The devs have released general design modding guidelines and modders have already begun work on new stuff.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/2w6u0k/im_already_working_on_my_first_building_for_the/#coodd87

camo_sig.png
  • SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Dare I hope after Cities XL and Simcity 5?

Steam ID - Syphyreal --- 3DS Friend Code: 2723-9387-1002
    Bloodsheed
    Penis shaped highways incoming (puns intended).

Just 2 weeks until release. Can't wait to get my hands on it. I have seen enough to be convinced that we have a jem on our hands here. I am hoping the mod community really flourishes.

camo_sig.png
    Smrtnik
    Latest video by CO talking about modding:

• Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Registered User regular
    I'm pretty excited about this as well, though I'll still hold off for a bit to see how things shake out post-release. I've just been burned too many times to jump into something like this.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue Registered User regular
    Pro-tip: You can get this for $17 on Nuuvem
    http://www.nuuvem.com.br/produto/2650-cities-skylines

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    Geth
  • Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    The "preview" embargo lifts March 3rd so we should be getting a lot more info soon.

A good look at the game in play:

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

What alien language is that site written in, and doesn't steam take a dim view on buying keys from other regions?

that's it, I'm shutting this entire forum down, everyone thank buttcleft
  • EchoEcho Moderator mod
    it's ~£17 on GMG. (or maybe that's some special deal for me, newsletter is vague.)

Echo wrote: »
    Let they who have not posted about their balls in the wrong thread cast the first stone.
    edited March 2015
    it's ~£17 on GMG. (or maybe that's some special deal for me, newsletter is vague.)

that's like 27 dollars

edit
    Is this game more like SimCity 4 or is it more like bad SimCity.

Buttcleft on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »

that's like 27 dollars

edit

From everything I've seen it looks like SimCity without the derp so basically SimCity 4

that's like 27 dollars

edit

From what I have seen it's what Simcity 2013 should have been. Check out the dev diaries for the details. Here are the highlights
    • Every Cim is an independant agent
    • Starting tile is roughly the size of a Simcity 2013 city tile
    • Can buy up to 9 adjacent city (soft-cap) tiles to continue building your city (not just build a new city)
    • 1 million agent limit (soft-cap)
    • Map editor
    • Blowing wind and flowing water
    • SUBWAYS!
    • Customizable transit routes
    • Specialized districts
    • Full modding support
    • Modding tools available at launch
    • Model import tool built directly into the game
    • Modding will allow more tiles to be purchased, larger maps to be made, and remove the agent cap

camo_sig.png
    I didn't get SimCity 2013 because I didnt like the changes it was making before it even released, but..hype train is seriously edging me towards buying it.

but the hype train on the forums have got me to buy so many games I never play.. DILEMA.

Watch the gameplay videos linked in the thread. I just watched the one @Nightslyr posted. The video replays the same stream at the end, but it's 45ish min long with the devs. It should answer your questions. The Devs have been super open and upfront with what the game is and what the game isn't. My take is that they are focusing on creating a wide open flexable sandbox and letting the modding community build out a lot of the building variety.

camo_sig.png
  • SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    My take is that they are focusing on creating a wide open flexable sandbox and letting the modding community build out a lot of the building variety.
    I am perfectly fine with this of this is the case.

Steam ID - Syphyreal --- 3DS Friend Code: 2723-9387-1002
    hnnnnngggggAHHHH

Fuck.dat is requesting permission to modify adult.life and responsibilities.dat. Permission granted, Entries for monetary responsibility overwritten by Cities: Skylines. initiate system restart.

Keep in mind tomorrow is the end of the review/video embargo. So watch a few streams or Let's Plays.

Yeah, I'm waiting on the reviews. SimCity 2013 sounded awesome when the devs were talking about it and showing off the engine. It turned out to be a shit sandwich.

PoketpixieMr Ray
    Well, I got it from not-steam, which has a good refund policy on preorders so if the reviews tomorrow sayits shit i'll get my money back and alls good

Nightslyr
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    You can draw districts freeform and use them to define names, taxation, and other policies. All my dicks. Every last one.

Mr RayDelmain
    I'm sure Quill will be streaming it Tuesday, or at least have new vids up.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

What alien language is that site written in, and doesn't steam take a dim view on buying keys from other regions?

It's Portuguese, and no steam does not care where you buy the keys from, only where you gift them from.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    I've not seen much besides positive news today about Skylines.