Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Cities: Skylines | Industrial DLC is out

1414243444547»

• Cobalt60Cobalt60 Registered User regular
    One of the things I felt Cities XL did well was the worker requirements for certain industries being tied to different classes of workers. This is already in skylines with the education system, however XL had you place residential areas based on their skill level (i.e. low income unskilled workers, med. income skilled workers, high income executives and elites).

It allowed you to easily have your unskilled workers near the areas that needed them without having to purposefully limit the availability of education to a suburb.

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I've been building a new city for the last few nights. As usual it's a mess of grids but I'm really digging the design.

camo_sig.png
    fRAWRstHappylilElfjungleroomxEndarodavidsdurionsGennenalyse RuebenNightslyr
  • DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Nice, nice. Keeping your mind control towers on little islands so the populace can't get to them.

steam_sig.png
    KashaarKruite
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx Spicy Rudolph Registered User regular
    Grids ain't bad.

People say they don't work in this game but they do, quite well actually.

You just need to fractal the roads.

Make. Time.
    StrikorInfamyDeferred
    edited November 2018
    Straight grids don't work. My last city is tried just a straight grid pattern. I absolutely agree that going fractal is the way to expand smoothly. My current city is based around a 3x3 superblock. The superblock is surrounded on all sides by a highway system connected with Timbo's turbine interchange, my personal favorite. Each block is 4 modified blocks by 1 modified block. When I'm spacing out my modified blocks, I always leave 2 squares of wiggle room on either side. That way you can eventually upgrade roads on both sides and you won't lose any build area. It also helps compensate for terrain deviations. My public transit system needs to be upgraded but I'd consider 66% traffic flow to be pretty darn good. There are a few areas around town that need some attention but traffic flows remarkably well for 140k people packed into such a small area.
    r8ob98nt07sa.jpg
    222m5ms2vqzu.jpg
    0mya0oq34k37.jpg
    zmlqnpcdubv6.jpg

That_Guy on
    camo_sig.png
    davidsdurionsBolthornjungleroomxKruite
    edited November 2018
    I've filled out the city some more. I'm just over 250k cims and traffic is still flowing. This has absolutely been my most successful city design to date but it has taken a few mods to get there. I feel like I could possibly cram close to a million people into this map with all 25 map tiles unlocked.
    18h2xitt14wg.jpg
    s79f34j5yas3.jpg
    b7cvkqkuinnk.jpg
    5t3oy8v01kfu.jpg
    mmvuuqtzhv9s.jpg
    gqtnoujijzou.jpg
    jivtgfunzg6f.jpg
    hfoi0xayrgx4.jpg

That_Guy on
    camo_sig.png
    davidsdurionsKashaar
    When I do my grids I'm always increasing/decreasing the amount of lanes within each road to accommodate different traffic patterns. That way when someones turn is coming up I'll have my 3 lane road switch to a 2 lane after the intersection, which means all traffic for the current turn will be in one lane, all traffic for the next turn off will be in the middle lane. After the next turn off I expand from 2 to 3 lanes again, rinse/repeat.

The expanded roads mod helps substantially.

Make. Time.
    I started a city without precision engineering enabled oh noooooo

Make. Time.
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I've been playing this a bunch lately. I recently grabbed Industries and holy crap does successful industry expand your profits. My city is about 6k, and I have a level 4 Farming industry and a level 2 Ore industry, and my income is obscene.

I've been considering going down the Workshop rabbithole, but does that disable achievements like Stellaris? There's some great QOL mods there, like creating lakes without needing to manage outlet pipes and expanded roads, but I'm working my way through getting achievements.

• StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Mods do disable achievements, but you can get a mod to enable them again. Achieve It! is one I haven't personally used but is a followup mod to the one I do use.

Be sure to check out the unique factories and build the ones you can supply. They are extremely profitable if you can set up a self-sufficient supply line.

I was killing Thresher Maws on foot before I knew it was a Krogan rite of passage.
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Yeah I got a Bakery and Lemonade factory going already. I actually got the level 2 Ore industry going because I needed the Glass factory for bottles.

The new industry dlc adds a lot of meat to the game. Something that Sim City 2013 did really well was supply chains. I really enjoyed the process of producing raw materials and turning them into finished products. This Skylines dlc finally brings that. I've had a lot of fun designing office parks. My most recent grid design came about in response to efficiently get materials from one industrial zone to another without pollution creeping into the residential zones around it.

camo_sig.png
    edited December 2018
    Playing more, yeah Industries adds the most actual gameplay to the game out of any DLC. Even Mass Transit is plopping down some transport hubs and setting up some lines. It’s easy to fall into the gentle rhythm of watching the growth bars, and when they’re high, setting up a new block of whatever is needed as you cycle through population milestones, just making sure you have good coverage of leisure, education, emergency services, etc.

I’ve sat at one population milestone for the longest ever as I was setting up Oil and Forestry industries, levelling up all 4 industries and setting up supply chains for various factories.

My biggest gripe is Oil and Ore being finite. It’s realistic, but it seems to deplete too fast, and once gone you can’t supply those factories. Or is there a way to import some things you need?

Also do these custom industries count against the Industry growth bar? If I can do away with those polluting blocks of stuff I’ll be very happy.

-Loki- on
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Playing more, yeah Industries adds the most actual gameplay to the game out of any DLC. Even Mass Transit is plopping down some transport hubs and setting up some lines. It’s easy to fall into the gentle rhythm of watching the growth bars, and when they’re high, setting up a new block of whatever is needed as you cycle through population milestones, just making sure you have good coverage of leisure, education, emergency services, etc.

I’ve sat at one population milestone for the longest ever as I was setting up Oil and Forestry industries, levelling up all 4 industries and setting up supply chains for various factories.

My biggest gripe is Oil and Ore being finite. It’s realistic, but it seems to deplete too fast, and once gone you can’t supply those factories. Or is there a way to import some things you need?

Also do these custom industries count against the Industry growth bar? If I can do away with those polluting blocks of stuff I’ll be very happy.

Factories will automatically import what they can't source locally. The resources thing bugs me too so I usually play with a mod that lets me paint resources and another so they never deplete.

camo_sig.png
    I might have to look into the no depletion mod.

I don’t mind building industries where the resources are but depletion is really annoying.

Strikor
  • StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    I think the game comes with an unlimited ore and oil mod by default so all you need to do is activate it.

I was killing Thresher Maws on foot before I knew it was a Krogan rite of passage.
    Yeah I found the unlimited resources mod in the content manager, and grabbed Achieve It. I'm happy again.