As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Elder Scrolls] in which we discuss modding and murder Thalmor on sight

• NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Well, the game started working after windows updated, may or may not be related.
    And i got to say the game is pretty as hell, atleast compared to original non modded skyrim, and runs smoothly (30 to 60 fps) so far.
    Other people may have issues with the special edition, but so far, i am happy.

Decided to start a nightblade type dunmer character using dagger at first and switching to bound sword asap, no armor, no shield stats going 2 magicka, 1 health, 2 stamina for now.
    Sort of works one on one, less so in groups, but as soon as i hired the Dunmar merc from drunken horseman, everything started going my way (playing on legendary).
    Level 6 now, and heading towards the barrow for dragonstone + claw next.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Well, now that SKSE is working I imagine SkyUI isn't far behind at which point this becomes "the version" pretty quickly because of 64-bit. All in all a long term win for PC players as a free update, even if it's not the super flashy makeover some people wanted.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Elvenshae
  • KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    I am an idiot when it comes to mods and suchlike, as I'm sure is well known by now, so I have to ask. What is the great benefit of it being 64-bit now?

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
    edited October 2016
    Konphujun wrote: »
    I am an idiot when it comes to mods and suchlike, as I'm sure is well known by now, so I have to ask. What is the great benefit of it being 64-bit now?

Memory. A 32-bit process in Windows can only address 4GB of RAM (it's actually less than that, but for simplicity we'll call it 4GB). Many, MANY, mods cause the memory usage of Skyrim to go way up. Very heavily modded setups would have to constantly juggle things around to get the memory usage juuusssttt right, and if something spiked and wanted to use a little extra, the game would crash.

64-bit allows Skyrim to address much, much more memory (in theory a 64-bit pointer value can be big enough that it's much larger than the physical memory anyone would actually have, on Windows it's effectively 64GB if you have that much). This means you can pile on more and more mods without worrying about the memory constraints provided you have the actual physical memory to accommodate.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    ElvenshaeShimshaiZilla360fedaykin666Campy
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Hmm...this is also disappointing to hear (but also accounts for some of the hard drive space savings): http://www.pcgamer.com/skyrim-special-editions-audio-is-noticeably-worse-than-the-original/

Suddenly, playing oSkyrim on PC is looking better and better (along with being able to keep my save game progress that is incompatible with Special Edition because I downloaded a Mass Effect mod, didn't save my character after the mod install, and uninstalled the mod when I didn't have any fun with it).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Well, now that SKSE is working I imagine SkyUI isn't far behind at which point this becomes "the version" pretty quickly because of 64-bit. All in all a long term win for PC players as a free update, even if it's not the super flashy makeover some people wanted.

wait when did this happen? i thought it was gonna take months for SKSE to be updated for the Special Edition?

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
    Konphujun

wait when did this happen? i thought it was gonna take months for SKSE to be updated for the Special Edition?

Woops, I misread something that I thought said SKSE was out already. My bad!

That said, who is saying it will take months? That seems a bit high.

• fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular

Woops, I misread something that I thought said SKSE was out already. My bad!

That said, who is saying it will take months? That seems a bit high.

not sure if it'll be months exactly, but it does sound like there's a lot of effort to put in: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/4979480-skse/page-4#entry43664745

behippo's basically saying that Skyrim SE is different enough from Fallout 4 where the work is going to be significant.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    There is a mod on nexus that greatly tones fown godrays that is supposed to give a big stability and performance improvement.

So... if you turn off the only thing that the remaster had over the old game plus mods (on PC), it runs fine?

This is not changing my overall impression of "great news for console players, but a great big nothing for PC gamers".
    And I'm actually happy for the former! But it's pretty clear this is not for me. (And I honestly am fine with that.)

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Was excited that a new nvidia patch was out today. Thought it'd fix the 'crash every 15 min' issue.
    It did not.

EDIT - if anyone else was having this problem, I solved mine by disabling the "touch keyboard and handwriting panel service" in services.msc.

vamen on
    Falves
  • danxdanx Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    In comments on GAF they were saying you could snipe stuff from much further away now but it still looks like arrows despawn at the same distance as before. Anyone know for sure? I'm trying to snipe the archer guy in Riverwood from miles off to test it but don't really have many arrows or the zoom in perk yet.

danx on
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Just finished 'The Forgotten City'. Mod has an interesting story and even audio logs that play for certain letters you pick up. VA quality is all over the place though. Classic time travel twist at the end, I almost face palmed that I hadn't realised how to solve it sooner,
    so many loops. And the exit was right behind something I'd noticed much earlier! Doh.

NH844lc.png | PSN | GACSALB.jpg My Blog |🏳️‍⚧️♥️
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Whelp, im unable to progress in the College storyline. When I finish the "Good Intentions" quest, the next one wont activate. I need to ask Mirabelle about the staff, but I cant. Awesome... Frickin buggy garbage, why do I love you so?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    Zilla360
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Yup, even with the Unofficial Patch, I still ran into a classic CTD bug in Falkreath, 100% reproducible, and it's been there since 2011 now, on every platform, sigh.
    I only know how, it's something to do with Dragon Corpses, being outside near doors when you leave a building, but no idea why it happens.

Zilla360 on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I look up skyrim

I see something interesting

I waste hours after getting inspired to mod something when my computer isn't fast enough to run the creation kit.

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Uh, I could swear I owned the Dragonborn DLC. But steam says it's not in my library. I vaguely remember going through at least part of it on my Vampire. Weird.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Haven't installed Special edition yet. Is there a mod that fixes Lydia's male stance to female? I remember that really annoying me back when I last played the regular edition.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Spent way too much time playing this over the weekend. Even stock on the Xbone Skyrim (the landscape and scenery) is just beautiful.

If they manage to slap something like the FO4 settlement system into the next ES game, I'm going to be in serious trouble.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Yup, even with the Unofficial Patch, I still ran into a classic CTD bug in Falkreath, 100% reproducible, and it's been there since 2011 now, on every platform, sigh.
    I only know how, it's something to do with Dragon Corpses, being outside near doors when you leave a building, but no idea why it happens.

Do you know if the unofficial patch fixes quest bugs like the College one?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Do you know if the unofficial patch fixes quest bugs like the College one?
    I honestly don't know. Maybe search through this page? The amount of fixes seems crazy.

Elvenshae
    Hoo! That's a lot of fixes... I guess it couldn't hurt to just install it and try it out. That's too much info to sift through :P

Zilla360
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    So I've downloaded the latest version of MO - 2.0.7 I believe, so that I can use mods with both FO4 and Skyrim. However, it doesn't seem to be adding the mods to Skyrim. Would anyone have any idea why? It works just fine in FO4, but not at all in Skyrim.
    If there isn't any way to get it to work I can go back to a previous version, but I don't know which version I had before I updated.

• vamenvamen Registered User regular

Oh man, I dodged a bullet. I never knew about this bug, and the first random dragon to attack me since I started was at Falkreath. His bones are literally squished up against the side of a house and part of the porch where the entrance is.

Zilla360
  • mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    My game never upgraded to HD edition on PC, but I also had that weird steam glitch where I got Dawnguard for free in my library. Either way, I think I'm going to hold off on upgrading. The vanilla game is no longer as enjoyable for me so I'd rather wait for the mod support and bugs to be ironed out first.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
    Fuck yeah! The unofficial patch fixed my mage quest glitch! God bless the folks who made it, and i guess some kudos to Bethesda for getting me mods on xbox. These old bugs shouldn't still exist in a re-release 5 years later, though...

Zilla360
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    My game never upgraded to HD edition on PC, but I also had that weird steam glitch where I got Dawnguard for free in my library. Either way, I think I'm going to hold off on upgrading. The vanilla game is no longer as enjoyable for me so I'd rather wait for the mod support and bugs to be ironed out first.

It doesn't upgrade, remastered is a whole separate game that you download separately.

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Fuck yeah! The unofficial patch fixed my mage quest glitch! God bless the folks who made it, and i guess some kudos to Bethesda for getting me mods on xbox. These old bugs shouldn't still exist in a re-release 5 years later, though...

Haha, that's cute. Your first Bethesda game?

:P

But that is super cool that console players can get the unofficial patches now.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular

Bethesda games are unplayable (for me) without mods. The day they stop allowing them the day I...wait for the $5 and all DLC sales.

ElvenshaeMassena
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Unofficial patches are literally the only mods I run

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Finding new mods is half the fun.

RoyceSraphimElvenshaeFleebMassenaLucid_SeraphZilla360MortiousPLAMetzger Meister
    The other half is finding out what disturbs you.

Although something not disturbing is a furry replacer mod on loverslab which replaces every race except the khajit, argonians, and orcs with the various furry race mods. Highly unstable and incompatible, a cobbled together monstrosity of mods and plug ins. Advised to treat as its own game.

Definitely starting another character with that, sans mods, and trying to beat the main quest as quickly and as racist a high elf I can be as possible.

Assuming I beat the main quest now.

Xeddicus wrote: »

Bethesda games are unplayable (for me) without mods. The day they stop allowing them the day I...wait for the $5 and all DLC sales.

I think Bethesda games on their own are fine. I played em all from Oblivion to Skyrim on the 360, and Fallout 4 on PS4 and XBone. Also Skyrim on XBone now too. The College of Winterhold quest bug was the first game breaking glitch I've ever experienced in one of their games. That's not to say mods aren't awesome, though! There's not quite as much variety on consoles compared to PC, but there's still a lot of cool stuff to play around with. Plus things can get fixed now that Bethesda just doesn't care about like my quest bug.

This year at Thanksgiving, I'm going to be thankful that I can play Fallout 4 on XBone and skip the godawful DiMA memory sequence entirely.

• DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    I played Skyrim and FO3/FONV/FO4 on console pretty extensively without mods, and I only infrequently had to deal with any bugs. The only one I can remember being a specifically recurring problem was in FO3, where the graphics would glitch out (the lighting, maybe?) creating this strange, opaque, prism-like effect that would cover the whole screen depending on what angle you were turned to. Actually had to turn the system off and turn it back on to get it to work.

Other than that, though, I've never felt like Bethesda games were "unplayable" unmodded. Certainly have never experienced the game-breaking bugs left and right that some people seem to. I may just be lucky there, though, since I've also played through VTMB many times with little noticeable bugginess, and that's a notoriously unfinished game.

Having played both modded and unmodded, though, I have to say that for me at least modded is the superior experience. I'm a sucker for tweaking little aspects of the world and expanding my options. All of the vanilla games were pretty good, but mods let you take things like the art style and environment and really make it your own.

And the temptation is even greater now that modding is actually quick and easy. I'll never miss the Morrowind days of the modding scene.

Prohass
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Meanwhile, Skywind continues to exist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6svcEuUIXJw

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
    Zilla360FleebRoyceSraphimCommander ZoomMetzger Meister
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    So it looks like older versions of SkyUI work with the Special Edition; I guess any version that isn't an ESB. Anyone know how to get this installed without using NMM?

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I would say that it not so much exists as it is in the process of becoming existent.

The obvious question now, I suppose, is will they (1) stay with the original Skyrim's engine, or (2) convert to the Skyrim remaster's engine, or (3) have a version for both? My guess is (1), because the other two involve a pretty significant amount of work.

Zilla360TamerBillRoyceSraphim
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Damnit. I caved. Only ever played on 360, Bethesda is my jam. I tried to resist until it went on sale. Lasted a few days, I have zero will power. I saw a vid and the music got me.

jdarksunL Ron HowardDuffelElvenshaeZilla360
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    L Ron Howard on
    Sir CarcassRoyceSraphimFalvesElvenshaeDissociaterZilla360OpposingFarce

I'm just going to scream murder my next playthrough and hope it keeps me on the road to riches and skulls.

I wonder if the trophy and bury your dead mods work with that yiff pack?

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I always play just how I feel like playing on the day. Like I mainly use two handers, but I love sneaky archer kills. I can understand if youre wanting to role play tho. For me I just turn the difficulty down if I want to try something new at a higher level.

Im definitely going giant ripped two-hander High Elf again though. I remember role playing him as like raised by Nords, so torn between two worlds kind of thing.

This discussion has been closed.