As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Elder Scrolls] in which we discuss modding and murder Thalmor on sight

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    You can have a Dark Souls-level of focus on mechanics without a Dark Souls-level of difficulty. The important part is that it remains fun the fifth, twentieth, hundredth time you fight something.

ElvenshaeOlivaw
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    You can have a Dark Souls-level of focus on mechanics without a Dark Souls-level of difficulty. The important part is that it remains fun the fifth, twentieth, hundredth time you fight something.

I was about to reply exactly the same. When people are talking about Dark Souls combat, more likely than not they are not asking for the same level of difficulty as the DS games, as that just wouldn't work in a game that wasn't specifically designed to be that way. They are talking about the responsiveness and fluidity it and hell, I think it'd be awesome if Elder Scrolls games could properly handle battles with large-size enemies for some truly epic boss fights.

I do also agree with those who say magic needs some sprucing up, as it doesn't really feel that special most of the time in Skyrim. As usual, I solve this with mods, which add lots of utility to magic which elevates it above simply holding down the button until something dies or I run out of juice, but it'd be cool if Bethesda put some more mechanics into making magic interesting again for the next game.

Dr. Phibbs McAthey
    Here is a mod that might just be salvation for those of us who load our Skyrims down with mods until they're about ready to buckle under their own script weights.

Basically, heavy mod addicts get used to having to load a save in an enclosed room before they can load their 'real' save, because otherwise Skyrim will just CTD. This mod essentially just automates that process which is not huge, but feels significant.

UnluckyPLARoyceSraphim
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Enderal discussion is on the previous page. I think its definitely worth the price.

wbBv3fj.png
    jdarksunPolaritie
  • AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Enderal discussion is on the previous page. I think its definitely worth the price.

Oh, you!

Meanwhile, im thinking about returning to Skyrim, to finally finish Dawnguard and Dragonborn. Anyone have any interesting character roleplay build? Im not gonna play stealth archer again, but crossbow and magic runes using Demon Hunter may be more interesting, as an example.

edited September 2016
    Play as a Nord, become a vampire as soon as you can. Pretend you're a vampire from the 1st Age and you just woke up, and so run around in Ancient Nord Armor only and hit stuff with a giant greatsword in between eating people.

Most fun i've ever had with a themed build in Skyrim. If you're using mods I suggest an alternate start one to get the vampire thing there right off the bat, plus Better Vampires. Also Take Notes Journal of the Dragonborn so you can write down in-character bewilderment about all the newfangled stuff going on aboveground.

I like the vampire side of Dawnguard more than the Dawnguard side.

Aistan on
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyLucid_SeraphToxic PickleRoyceSraphimOpposingFarceElvenshaePLAL Ron Howard
    Asthariel wrote: »

Oh, you!

Meanwhile, im thinking about returning to Skyrim, to finally finish Dawnguard and Dragonborn. Anyone have any interesting character roleplay build? Im not gonna play stealth archer again, but crossbow and magic runes using Demon Hunter may be more interesting, as an example.

If you're willing to play on a lower/default difficulty a battlemage is pretty fun. Heavy armor (i like dwarven because of the boss face, or iron + a heavy dragon mask), one handed, and destruction. Smithing until you get your preferred armor

You nuke with destruction until they're in range and then hack with one handed. This keeps spell and weapon swap times to a minimum... but it also severely hampers your damage output because

1) Spells suck
    2) One handed sucks
    3) You're going to be half in each

In order to be maximally effective you will need to hot swap your spells quite a bit, even to an empty hand(this allows you to block and bash without going through an item swap animation)

Alternately:

Medic

Healing mastery with a companion. Get a damage aura from desctuction and "heal other". Run around healing your ally why they murder fools for you. Add conjuration in order to summon more friends and be the real daedra lord.

wbBv3fj.png
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I like my "Arcane Mage" build.

Alteration and Conjuration + Archery (with enchanting as the crafting skill)

No weapons or armour, everything is cast including bound bow.

Requires some mods to make the mage armours last longer (because they're annoying otherwise) and a crafting mod to get some sweet looking cloth duds.

And an early trip to that one dungeon to get the bound bow spell as soon as possible.

It might be to close to your stealth archer character, even though there's very little stealth.

It's mostly just summon something to tank and shoot them with magic arrows.

Pros: Your equipment weight is minimal, so you can carry more loot.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I had fun doing a spell and shield run.

edited September 2016
    Play as a Nord, become a vampire as soon as you can. Pretend you're a vampire from the 1st Age and you just woke up, and so run around in Ancient Nord Armor only and hit stuff with a giant greatsword in between eating people.

Most fun i've ever had with a themed build in Skyrim. If you're using mods I suggest an alternate start one to get the vampire thing there right off the bat, plus Better Vampires. Also Take Notes Journal of the Dragonborn so you can write down in-character bewilderment about all the newfangled stuff going on aboveground.

This actually sounds like a fucking awesome idea. It's almost too bad there isn't an alternate start that begins you in a Nord tomb with a set of ancient armor.
    If you're willing to play on a lower/default difficulty a battlemage is pretty fun. Heavy armor (i like dwarven because of the boss face, or iron + a heavy dragon mask), one handed, and destruction. Smithing until you get your preferred armor

You nuke with destruction until they're in range and then hack with one handed. This keeps spell and weapon swap times to a minimum... but it also severely hampers your damage output because

1) Spells suck
    2) One handed sucks

In order to be maximally effective you will need to hot swap your spells quite a bit, even to an empty hand(this allows you to block and bash without going through an item swap animation)

With the right mods, this build actually can be very powerful. For example, I'm playing basically this type of build with Perkus Maximus and Apocalypse Spells, so I have lots of utility in my casting hand. Also, I always recommend the Dual-Wield Bocking mod, because being able to block is a god-send when a bandit comes flying at you with a giant battle axe.

Toxic Pickle on
    edited September 2016

This actually sounds like a fucking awesome idea. It's almost too bad there isn't an alternate start that begins you in a Nord tomb with a set of ancient armor.

There is!. This one gives that option explicitly, which is what I used at the time. The one I use now, this one, is a lot more customizable but doesn't give the specific themed starts and locations. You can still kind of hack it together though.

E: Ah reading it again that first one starts you with vampire armor. I must have consoled in the Ancient Nord stuff.

E E: Maaaaan... reading through the Live Another Life options again I really want to try some of these and do another playthrough.

Aistan on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    ?.jpeg
    Journal mods help me keep my priorities straight.

AistanPolaritieElvenshaeLucid_SeraphL Ron HowardOlivaw

1) Spells suck
    2) One handed sucks

With the right mods, this build actually can be very powerful. For example, I'm playing basically this type of build with Perkus Maximus and Apocalypse Spells, so I have lots of utility in my casting hand. Also, I always recommend the Dual-Wield Bocking mod, because being able to block is a god-send when a bandit comes flying at you with a giant battle axe.

If you just drop the spell in your off hand you don't need a mod, you can block. And since spells don't require much if all animation switch time its really no biggie to drop it after you use it and then swap to some other spell.

wbBv3fj.png
  • OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Honestly the most fun I had in this game was playing a sneaky vampire assassin who used some mild magic, two short swords (or sword and buckler) and the bow.

I attribute part of this to all stealth animations. They were done very poorly in F4. Seriously, in F4 if you get a stealth sync kill it makes you stand up out of stealth. Wut. Also, instead of slitting throats with a knife you bash them over the head. Why.

Honestly the most fun I had in this game was playing a sneaky vampire assassin who used some mild magic, two short swords (or sword and buckler) and the bow.

I attribute part of this to all stealth animations. They were done very poorly in F4. Seriously, in F4 if you get a stealth sync kill it makes you stand up out of stealth. Wut. Also, instead of slitting throats with a knife you bash them over the head. Why.

If only the game took place in a setting that played fast and loose with logic. Where you could just convince people to walk off buildings or drown themselves after being hit with a psychic ray gun.

• Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    My favorite Skyrim build is as follows:

Focus on Sneak, Lockpick, Pickpocket, and Speech.

Try to resolve as many quests as possible using only those four skills.

Hard mode: No Gloves of the Pugilist allowed.

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular

for a horrifying moment I thought that said bestiality, not bestiary, and I was ready to ask what the fuck kind of mods you had installed.

edited September 2016
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    ?.jpeg

for a horrifying moment I thought that said bestiality, not bestiary, and I was ready to ask what the fuck kind of mods you had installed.

Is it still bestiality if you're a Khajiit?

Ivan Hunger on
    ?.jpeg

Walks in shadows turns to the camera and wrinkles his nose in indignation.

Commander Zoom
  • Praetorian MagePraetorian Mage Registered User regular
    If you just drop the spell in your off hand you don't need a mod, you can block. And since spells don't require much if all animation switch time its really no biggie to drop it after you use it and then swap to some other spell.
    It's very annoying to have to open the favorites menu (or spell menu) to click the spell out of your hand every time you want to block. It can even screw up your timing. Having a button you can quickly press to block is a lot more convenient.

ElvenshaeToxic Pickle
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    ?.jpeg

Yes.

It's very annoying to have to open the favorites menu (or spell menu) to click the spell out of your hand every time you want to block. It can even screw up your timing. Having a button you can quickly press to block is a lot more convenient.

Yeah I try to minimize how much I have to open menus during combat, as it breaks the flow of battle and also ruins my timing. Plus my favorite thing to do it blast an enemy who is bearing down on me, only to block his strike when he finally gets close (often causing a stagger), at which point I finish him off with blade and/or spell. It's awesome to do all that without ever pausing time.

Elvenshae
    I finished the temple on the mount and the game crashed as I tried to explore the area of the final battle on foot.

• RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    I had fun doing a spell and shield run.

I still love my Breton, two one handed weapons, magic resistance, enchanted dragon skin armor build.

I call it the "Oh you think you can hurt me. How cute." build

Magic is literally laughable.

I'll stand in the way of blasts and let the effects wrap around me and watch as my health doesn't actually move.

Dragon Breath means nothing. Vampire drain means nothing. No mage in Skyrim can hurt me.

Physical enemies can still hurt me, but the high armor slows them down a fair bit.

Commander Zoom
    I don't know what happened but I have 6 hours left to get some sleep and I just flew a dragon, had it betray me (or Mjoll tried to kill it after chasing across it across the island), and then some lurkers attacked it.
    ?.jpeg

Bethesda needs to start adding strange glamours that randomly pop up when you ally with certain factions. Random eyes and tentacles for Herma, new dark brotherhood agents sneaking in the shadows when you wake, random wheels of cheese raining from the sky.

Accords of Madness 12 is a fucking incredible read, as are all the books in Apocrypha.

I don't know if this is old news.

but if you own Skyrim and its 3 DLC, you will get the Remastered version (As a separate steam install, not as a DLC type download/upgrade) of Skyrim for free when its released.

DuffelElvenshaeIvan HungerMortiousRoyceSraphimPLAPreciousBodilyFluidsL Ron HowardSithDrummerjdarksunJoolander
    That's neat, but it almost seems like a downgrade. Modding will have to start over. Files hate change.

Lucid_SeraphL Ron HowardOlivaw
    PLA wrote: »
    That's neat, but it almost seems like a downgrade. Modding will have to start over. Files hate change.

I never played with mods anyway, so it's all upside for me.

PLA
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    PLA wrote: »

I never played with mods anyway, so it's all upside for me.

OUT!!!

Just kidding.

I'm pretty sure the ENBoost and preset I have make mine as pretty as the default Remastered version, but with better control.

They said that old mods will be usable with the remaster. There will probably be some exceptions, but not everything will need to be redone entirely.

• baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular

I started up Skyrim last weekend to see how it behaves on my new monitor, and for whatever reason none of my NMM mods were active.

So I loaded a save and I was this hideous creature wearing underwear and a helmet.

I have to admit that one of the things I'm looking forward to about the SE is that this time I am going to actually manage mods properly, not just install everything that looks cool on Nexus. Honest!

Elvenshae
    They said that old mods will be usable with the remaster. There will probably be some exceptions, but not everything will need to be redone entirely.

Nah, you don't have to redo Oblivion-mods entirely for Skyrim. But everything breaks and has to be rejiggered every other time there's a patch.

The only difference with the Remaster is 64bit executable and prettier graphics effects. Which is probably why they are giving it away for free to people who already invested in Skyrim, cause they know the shitstorm that would erupt from PC players if they dropped 60 for it and that's all the difference was between Remaster and Original.

With that in mind, I'm sure a lot of mods will work day 1 with no issue, though I imagine bigger more complex mods might have a few hiccups that would be ironed out easily.

The fact that they can't give the 64 bit exe to us non-DLC plebs (because let's face it they're pretty terrible and never go on sale) does kind of rankle my jimmies.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Bethesda DLC are good for, if nothing else, mods that make use of them. That's why I usually end up getting them.

ElvenshaeDuffelOlivaw
  • KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    The fact that they can't give the 64 bit exe to us non-DLC plebs (because let's face it they're pretty terrible and never go on sale) does kind of rankle my jimmies.

Dragonborn and to a lesser extent, Dawnguard, are actually quite good.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
    PolaritieBionicPenguinAistanSorcha Ravenlock
    edited October 2016
    Dragon born is ok. Dawnguard is not. Right from the very first mission where the game railroads you into being an idiot.

Edit: I know because I accidentally benefitted from the "everyone gets Dawnguard" bug for a period. It's very much not worth the price.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    Dragon born is ok. Dawnguard is not. Right from the very first mission where the game railroads you into being an idiot.

Thats Elder Scrolls, though. You get the idiot ball at some point in every game. I enjoyed the hell out of Dawnguard for the vampire/werewolf perk trees. Oh, and the crossbows. Talos bless crossbows.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
    Commander ZoomTamerBill
    Well if they would give that to me without all the rest and charge 2 dollars for it then maybe. But well the plot was a super letdown and the missions more "forced dumb" than any others in the game.

wbBv3fj.png
    Fleeb
This discussion has been closed.