As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Elder Scrolls] in which we discuss modding and murder Thalmor on sight

• Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Tube wrote: »
    Goumindong wrote: »
    He people who don't have all the DLC seem to get left in the cold. :(

Suck it up and buy the DLC then poordilocks. You already got to play it for free in a pretty scummy way.

Yeah the DLC has been on dirt-cheap sale many times, so to not have it at this point meant you were actively avoiding it... which is fine, but I don't think you get to complain at this point.

If you have at least one of the main DLC expansions already (either Dragonborn or Dawnguard), buying the rest of the DLC will be cheaper than purchasing the special edition, which you will then get for free if you act quickly.

Toxic Pickle on
    RoyceSraphim
  • ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Pre-load is now available for the Special Edition.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
    jdarksun
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Shimshai wrote: »
    Pre-load is now available for the Special Edition.

Huh..Remaster is a full gig smaller than old Skyrim+DLC

edited October 2016
    The new system requirements are a little bit out of my range, though I am curious how well I could get it to run. It might give me some idea as to whether Fallout 4 would also work for me.

System Requirements:
    Minimum
    Windows 7/8.1/10 (64-bit Version)
    Intel i5-750/AMD Phenom II X4-945.
    8GB of ram.
    12 GB free HDD space
    NVIDIA GTX 470 1GB /AMD HD 7870 2GB
    Recommended
    Windows 7/8.1/10 (64-bit Version)
    Intel i5-2400/AMD FX-8320.
    8GB of ram.
    12 GB free HDD space
    NVIDIA GTX 780 3GB /AMD R9 290 4GB

Shimshai on

steam_sig.png
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    The video posted earlier mentioned that the textures in the remaster are stored in some new, more efficient format, so perhaps that's where the space savings comes from?

edited October 2016
    it would help if you, you know, posted your system specs as well @Shimshai

Personally I have a g3258 overclocked to 4.5Ghz, 8gb ram and a 280oc, and I run Fallout 4 mostly without issue on max settings with mods that make it prettier (and thus more burdensome)

So Skyrim Remaster should be easy.

Buttcleft on
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    When I think about all the texture-related and mesh-related mods that people might potentially have to redo, I kind of want to vomit a little. Hopefully, they have all of their original artwork, and can just re-export to whatever new format the remaster uses. If not, though, and they have to - just as a for example - redo all the art in the aMidianBorn series, then... well, my heart goes out to them.

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Goumindong was warned for this.
    Tube wrote: »
    Goumindong wrote: »
    He people who don't have all the DLC seem to get left in the cold. :(

Suck it up and buy the DLC then poordilocks. You already got to play it for free in a pretty scummy way.

I didn't even know there was an error until 2 months after it happened, at which point i reinstalled. So thanks for being an ass.

A duck! on
    wbBv3fj.png
    I was more musing out loud than looking for assistance but I might as well anyway.

dbmsccvwwxtg.png

Processor and graphics are borderline but obviously 4gig ram is lacking. I do have an extra 4gig I could borrow for testing purposes.

Official system requirements tend to be quite broad though, even for "minimum" so I'd still be curious what I can wrangle out of this almost 8 year old PC. (650Ti being an upgrade notwithstanding!)

steam_sig.png
    edited October 2016
    I would wager that the core2quad could hold you back a bit as well. That's a pretty old die. Might be mitigated somewhat if you overclock the shit out of it. Only reason my g3258 does anything is cause its got a 1.3gh overclock on it.

Buttcleft on
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    I would wager that the core2quad could hold you back a bit as well. That's a pretty old die. Might be mitigated somewhat if you overclock the shit out of it. Only reason my g3258 does anything is cause its got a 1.3gh overclock on it.

How do you keep it stable with the amount? I always thought real world over clocking was limited to a few tenths.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
    I did look into possibly overclocking some time ago, but going by what I read from Tom's Hardware the gains would be minimal and basically not worth the risk. 10% gain, maybe, pushing it right to the limit. Definitely not worth it for an 8 year old cpu!

steam_sig.png
    furlion wrote: »

How do you keep it stable with the amount? I always thought real world over clocking was limited to a few tenths.

because I have a a giant fan and a big chunk of metal strapped to it.

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Yeah, if you want to do half-decent overclocking, you're going to need to upgrade your heatsink/fan. Depending on the CPU, I'd think a gain of 500MHz isn't too far to reach.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    What a weird unlock time. I was going to pre-load but it'd likely take less time to download when available than to unpack to my stupid hard drive so I'll wait. I wish there were more PC videos (are there any at all) of the rejiggeredness.

Also, no mods out of the gate? Or am I reading that wrong.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    ED! wrote: »
    What a weird unlock time. I was going to pre-load but it'd likely take less time to download when available than to unpack to my stupid hard drive so I'll wait. I wish there were more PC videos (are there any at all) of the rejiggeredness.

whats the unlock time, I've not seen it anywhere?

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Looks like, right now, there is one unofficial patch. At least, that's the only reference to current mods working in the remaster for the moment: http://www.pcgamer.com/how-skyrim-special-edition-works-and-doesnt-with-your-existing-saved-games-and-mods/

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular

whats the unlock time, I've not seen it anywhere?

Should unlock in 30 minutes for the United States. Well I mean for everyone since it's based on UTC time - where ever that is. And I guess it's not weird since it is 12 midnight for the UTC.
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Looks like, right now, there is one unofficial patch. At least, that's the only reference to current mods working in the remaster for the moment: http://www.pcgamer.com/how-skyrim-special-edition-works-and-doesnt-with-your-existing-saved-games-and-mods/

Damn. I really only wanted SkyUI. I mean all the other mods are cool, but SkyUI is the one MUST have mod, and I'm shocked that Bethesda didn't just "buy them out. . ." if the UI is the fucking same in this version of the game.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    MrVyngaard
    edited October 2016
    Edit: nevermind, it's not quite ready!

Edit edit:It has started unpacking.

Shimshai on

steam_sig.png
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    So not only the unofficial patch dropped but a bunch of other arthmoor mods including the parthinax dillemma and bring out your dead.

Also (nonfunctional) oblivion gates and eso dolmen anchors!

Elvenshae
    Preliminary investigation seems to suggest it runs basically about as well as the modded standard version did for me. Solid 60fps indoors, 30-40 outdoor in heavily forested areas like near Riverwood.

Something feels off about using a controller though, like they've changed the sensitivities on the x and y axes to be different.

Fallout 4 might not quite be as far out of reach as I thought, though it does require a 2gb video card, whereas Skyrim Special is fine with 1gb.

steam_sig.png
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Game runs great for me. It unfortunately crashes to the desktop every 15 min though, so that's a bummer.

vamen on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    IT HAS NEW CHEEVOS

Time to spend 400 more hours in Skyrim. Downloading now. Gonna wait to dig in hard for the mods to get updated, I really like SPERG and all that. But I do want to try it out.

Twitch Streaming basically all week
    SniperGuyGaming on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
    jdarksunMrVyngaardAistan
    I had actually forgotten just how godawful the default ui was. Hopefully SKSE won't take too long to get working and that somebody takes over work on SkyUI.

steam_sig.png
    Elvenshae
  • harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    Skyrim SE really really needs improved hair and clothes textures. It's actually kind of jarring.

B6yM5w2.gif
    MrVyngaard
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Their mod interface is kind of butts.

I've got 4 mods selected to install, all of them listed as "Queued ..." and as near as I can tell, not a single one is downloading. Also, I actually have to have the game open in order to DL mods.

Which is, again ...

Butts.

Sir Carcass
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    IT HAS NEW CHEEVOS

Time to spend 400 more hours in Skyrim. Downloading now. Gonna wait to dig in hard for the mods to get updated, I really like SPERG and all that. But I do want to try it out.
    They look the same?

The same, but new for this version I presume. They can be earned all over again!

steam_sig.png
    MrVyngaardAistanSniperGuy
    This is relevant again thanks to the rerelease

GIj9BTk.jpg

L Ron HowardKetBraOlivawElvenshaejdarksunübergeekjmcdonaldGatorPLA
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Completely unplayable for me. Any time there is any animation on screen, it drops to 11 FPS, on my 980 Ti...which can clearly handle Skyrim at more than 11 FPS. Not terribly upset, it was a free upgrade, but disappointed, I really wanted to sink in to some Skyrim tonight :(

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Like FO4, are they incredibly stupid where they disable achievements if you use mods? Do you have to use an achievement mod to get around that as well? How else was Bethesda unfathomably fucking stupid this time?

• DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Like FO4, are they incredibly stupid where they disable achievements if you use mods? Do you have to use an achievement mod to get around that as well? How else was Bethesda unfathomably fucking stupid this time?

Yep. But as far as I'm aware, they're disabled only if you're activating mods through the game itself. If you use something like the Nexus Mod Manager, I think you'll still have access to achievements. At least, that's how it was for me with FO4. Skyrim Special Edition support should be coming to the NMM within the next day or so.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    With me, in FO4 I installed a nice QOL mod so I can see the UI and it complained at me that I was using mods and achievements were disabled. I can only assume that Bethesda is doing the same. And in FO4, I'm using MO, not their built-in crap. I wish Bethesda would go back to being hands-off as far as mods.

With me, in FO4 I installed a nice QOL mod so I can see the UI and it complained at me that I was using mods and achievements were disabled. I can only assume that Bethesda is doing the same. And in FO4, I'm using MO, not their built-in crap. I wish Bethesda would go back to being hands-off as far as mods.

Theres several mods that disable the disabling of mods, and keeps achievements dinging while you play modded.

Elvenshae
    Yeah I've got a 1060, 16gb of ram and a 4770k. It runs beautifully at everything maxed...except it stutters. Wasn't this a problem originally? Just getting weird annoying hangs every so often for a second or two. That's reaaaaally frustrating.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah I've got a 1060, 16gb of ram and a 4770k. It runs beautifully at everything maxed...except it stutters. Wasn't this a problem originally? Just getting weird annoying hangs every so often for a second or two. That's reaaaaally frustrating.

What monitor are you using? If it's the same issue I have with the non-remastered edition (haven't fired up the remaster yet) a 120-144hz causes issues. The only way I managed to play the game was to lock the monitor to 60hz refresh rates through Nvidia Control Panel.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    edited October 2016
    Erlkönig wrote: »

What monitor are you using? If it's the same issue I have with the non-remastered edition (haven't fired up the remaster yet) a 120-144hz causes issues. The only way I managed to play the game was to lock the monitor to 60hz refresh rates through Nvidia Control Panel.

A normal 60hz one I think. Nothing too fancy. I am using two monitors though.

edit: I also installed it to a normal hard drive instead of my SSD, maybe that'd help? Ah well I'm gonna wait for mods to dig back in anyway.

SniperGuy on
    I gotta say, so far.. I'm not particularly impressed with the graphics upgrade. God rays are pretty, but the original ran better and looked just as good, if not prettier (aside from godrays) and ran better with graphics overhall mods that upped the textures to 4k and massively increased detail in everything.

Then again I just ran it until I got to the keep, cause my controller was plugged in and theres no way in game to manually switch back to kbam (Which is a huge gripe I had about the original, meaning I gotta unplug the damn controller to play skyrim.)

DarkMecha
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Going to borderless windowed solved the issue I was having for whatever reason. Seems to be running smooth now.

I appreciate the updated textures and some of the new effects like the fog and god rays are amazing....but in some ways those new affects actually make how glaringly bad some of the character textures are really obvious. Lest we forget it is a game from 2011.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    it's going to be a bummer waiting a year for SKSESE, or SKSE2, or whatever they're gonna call it.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
This discussion has been closed.