As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Elder Scrolls] in which we discuss modding and murder Thalmor on sight

195969799101

Posts

  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    I gotta say, so far.. I'm not particularly impressed with the graphics upgrade. God rays are pretty, but the original ran better and looked just as good, if not prettier (aside from godrays) and ran better with graphics overhall mods that upped the textures to 4k and massively increased detail in everything.

    Then again I just ran it until I got to the keep, cause my controller was plugged in and theres no way in game to manually switch back to kbam (Which is a huge gripe I had about the original, meaning I gotta unplug the damn controller to play skyrim.)

    I'm in the slightly same boat. It definitely looks. . .different. However I'm issting back thinking: "How is this not possible with an ENB?"

    Also I'm kind of blown away at not getting 60FPS outdoors with this. That. . .is surprising.

    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    I gotta say, so far.. I'm not particularly impressed with the graphics upgrade. God rays are pretty, but the original ran better and looked just as good, if not prettier (aside from godrays) and ran better with graphics overhall mods that upped the textures to 4k and massively increased detail in everything.

    Then again I just ran it until I got to the keep, cause my controller was plugged in and theres no way in game to manually switch back to kbam (Which is a huge gripe I had about the original, meaning I gotta unplug the damn controller to play skyrim.)

    I'm in the slightly same boat. It definitely looks. . .different. However I'm issting back thinking: "How is this not possible with an ENB?"

    Also I'm kind of blown away at not getting 60FPS outdoors with this. That. . .is surprising.

    You'd miss out on godrays and..probably something else you'd barely notice, but playing the original with all the graphic upgrades mods just looks better, texture wise, and runs a hell of a lot better, performance wise.

    with 4k textures, high poly models, etc etc..basically everything but ENB, I stayed constantly pegged at 60fps with zero issue all my time with original skyrim with all the settings maxed.

    the entire horseride at the start of remaster was never above 20fps..though it did stabilize to 40-60 once I got in Helgen.

  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    The thing that always bugs me about coming back to Skyrim is the leveling system

    I'd love to get new perk trees and stuff, or a completely rebalanced game, but the mods that offer that stuff are straight up stupid complicated and require vastly more effort than I am willing to put into modding pretty much anything

    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    At the end of the day I can't be terribly upset that Bethesda didn't go nutty with this. It's a free upgrade to me, the real purpose for the remaster was to get it out on the modern consoles and on that front, great, good on them. As a PC player, yeah, modded base Skyrim is better than this in most ways. I guess if you're the rare unicorn completely new Skyrim PC player that doesn't want to mod, this is the version for you.

    Again, not particularly upset, I wasn't expecting miracles, it's free, and clearly just a nice perk thrown at PC players as a consequence of the new console releases.

    GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    ElvenshaeCommander ZoomZilla360President Evil
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Found this album that has comparison pictures of modded vs remastered and honestly..I'm not seeing much difference. Well, there's differences.. model and geometry differences, but graphically.. eh..

    L Ron Howard
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    At the end of the day I can't be terribly upset that Bethesda didn't go nutty with this. It's a free upgrade to me, the real purpose for the remaster was to get it out on the modern consoles and on that front, great, good on them. As a PC player, yeah, modded base Skyrim is better than this in most ways. I guess if you're the rare unicorn completely new Skyrim PC player that doesn't want to mod, this is the version for you.

    Again, not particularly upset, I wasn't expecting miracles, it's free, and clearly just a nice perk thrown at PC players as a consequence of the new console releases.

    Personally, I would've liked it if Bethesda updated the game to the point where I didn't have to cripple my monitor to play the game :?

    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    I happened to be up past midnight doing nothing in particular and remembered I had the SE preloaded so I decided to check it out.
    I've got it pegged at 60fps with everything on ultra. I um, would have been disappointed were that not the case, considering I've got a brand new monster rig, so that's nice. Having not played Skyrim unmodded essentially since it came out, I didn't notice much difference at first, but once I got a closer look at character models the differences became clearer. God, the default hair textures are still fucking awful. Do we know what resolution all the textures are? I've never played with 4k, but I ran the 2k amidianborn textures on my previous rig, and I think those are still better than what we've got here.
    I think depending on how fast texture mods get ported, this could be a passable way to play again, but barring SKSE getting ported quickly I'll stick with the original.

  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Is there a hi-rez texture pack like there was for the first game we're missing or something?

    Twitch Streaming basically all week
    SniperGuyGaming on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Completely unplayable for me. Any time there is any animation on screen, it drops to 11 FPS, on my 980 Ti...which can clearly handle Skyrim at more than 11 FPS. Not terribly upset, it was a free upgrade, but disappointed, I really wanted to sink in to some Skyrim tonight :(

    BTW, I ran into this too (complete with going to borderless windowed fixing it). GTX 1080, 32gb RAM, i7-4770k, and the game runs smoothly about 20% of the time...the other 80% is in the low teens. Gnome, do you have a G-Sync monitor by any chance?

    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    Anyone actually been able to log into the mod section on Xbone? Just get a "Could not log into the bethesda.net servers" error

  • VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Completely unplayable for me. Any time there is any animation on screen, it drops to 11 FPS, on my 980 Ti...which can clearly handle Skyrim at more than 11 FPS. Not terribly upset, it was a free upgrade, but disappointed, I really wanted to sink in to some Skyrim tonight :(

    BTW, I ran into this too (complete with going to borderless windowed fixing it). GTX 1080, 32gb RAM, i7-4770k, and the game runs smoothly about 20% of the time...the other 80% is in the low teens. Gnome, do you have a G-Sync monitor by any chance?

    I also fixed my frame rate issues by switching over to borderless windowed, but for some reason it won't let me get a resolution high enough to cover my screen. Most it's going up to is 1440x810.

    Veagle on
    steam_sig.png
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Completely unplayable for me. Any time there is any animation on screen, it drops to 11 FPS, on my 980 Ti...which can clearly handle Skyrim at more than 11 FPS. Not terribly upset, it was a free upgrade, but disappointed, I really wanted to sink in to some Skyrim tonight :(

    BTW, I ran into this too (complete with going to borderless windowed fixing it). GTX 1080, 32gb RAM, i7-4770k, and the game runs smoothly about 20% of the time...the other 80% is in the low teens. Gnome, do you have a G-Sync monitor by any chance?

    Skyrim still has issues if you go above 60 FPS. i'm surprised Bethesda left this huge bug in SE.

    there's a thread on NeoGAF with a few hints: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1301855

    basically, you need to use Nvidia Inspector to limit the framerate to 60. there's another SkyrimPrefs.ini tweak which may or may not help.

    i got to play through the intro, and i do have to say, it is a lot smoother feeling than regular Skyrim?

    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Completely unplayable for me. Any time there is any animation on screen, it drops to 11 FPS, on my 980 Ti...which can clearly handle Skyrim at more than 11 FPS. Not terribly upset, it was a free upgrade, but disappointed, I really wanted to sink in to some Skyrim tonight :(

    BTW, I ran into this too (complete with going to borderless windowed fixing it). GTX 1080, 32gb RAM, i7-4770k, and the game runs smoothly about 20% of the time...the other 80% is in the low teens. Gnome, do you have a G-Sync monitor by any chance?

    Skyrim still has issues if you go above 60 FPS. i'm surprised Bethesda left this huge bug in SE.

    there's a thread on NeoGAF with a few hints: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1301855

    basically, you need to use Nvidia Inspector to limit the framerate to 60. there's another SkyrimPrefs.ini tweak which may or may not help.

    i got to play through the intro, and i do have to say, it is a lot smoother feeling than regular Skyrim?

    Yup, I'm very familiar with this. As soon as I was in the cave during the tutorial and saw frostbite spiders doing that Flash/Reverse-Flash vibration trick, I knew disappointment was going to be the end result. It's why I said I'm mostly disappointed in needing to cripple my monitor to play even this here "remaster."

    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Can't even get the special edition to launch on my pc.
    And from steam discussions, i'm not the only one.

    I just wanted to stab some Thalmor in the face without using dozen mods to get graphics decent, was that so much to ask?

  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Have not picked up skyrim in years.

    But i ordered the PS4 Copy of the Remastering so i am looking forward to moidering some Thalmor and actually doing the DLC

  • FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Is there a mod for the SE on PC that increases the occurrence of cinematic deathblows? Can't find one. Used to be quite a few for vanilla.

    Also the game runs beautifully for me, no problems at all so far. The only stupid thing is mods disabling achievements, but there's already a mod to stop that from happening.

    http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/245/?

    Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    It may be due to how long its been, but so far I actually like the remaster console side. It feels brighter, more colorful, smoother, and sharper.

    The mod functionality seema limited to what I remember from playing on PC, but even having moda console side is nifty.

    And I had forgotten how much I love the soundtrack.

    Then again, I also have newer televisions and speakers since then, so that might be playing into it. But so far very happy to be back in Tamriel.

  • AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    I will never, ever understand why devs nowadays are disabling achievements when mods are used.

    Skyrim is a game that is so popular pretty much only because of mods! Why would you complicate using them, if people using mods are propably the ones that are going to play Skyrim the most!?

    L Ron HowardElvenshaeSorcha Ravenlock
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    So anyone with the PS4 version yet?

    How is it?

    If it runs just as well as the 360 version did I'm golden, don't really need or want much beyond that

    Commodore75
  • HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Nvm

    Hermano on

    PSN- AHermano
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So anyone with the PS4 version yet?

    How is it?

    If it runs just as well as the 360 version did I'm golden, don't really need or want much beyond that

    I'll let you know in the morning (after I fire up my PS4 and go through character creation as a wind-down from BF1 before I go to bed).

    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    There is a mod on nexus that greatly tones fown godrays that is supposed to give a big stability and performance improvement.

  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Asthariel wrote: »
    I will never, ever understand why devs nowadays are disabling achievements when mods are used.

    Skyrim is a game that is so popular pretty much only because of mods! Why would you complicate using them, if people using mods are propably the ones that are going to play Skyrim the most!?

    Because you might use a cheat mod and get achievements you didn't earn. Then when everyone goes to look at your achievements, like constantly, they'll think you're MLG when you're really a nub.

  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    So not really too impressed so far, glad this was free. Guess I will go back to ESO: One Tamriel for my Elder Scrolls fix until the mod scene picks up the slack

    Jealous Deva on
  • KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    I have the remaster installed but I cannot bring myself to play it without SkyUI. I hope it gets ported over quickly.

    Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
    fightinfilipino
  • TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Asthariel wrote: »
    I will never, ever understand why devs nowadays are disabling achievements when mods are used.

    Skyrim is a game that is so popular pretty much only because of mods! Why would you complicate using them, if people using mods are propably the ones that are going to play Skyrim the most!?

    Because you might use a cheat mod and get achievements you didn't earn. Then when everyone goes to look at your achievements, like constantly, they'll think you're MLG when you're really a nub.

    Achievement statistics are useful to developers, it's not crazy to want to keep them legit.

    3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I'm thinking of just doing a run with no mods.
    Go, abuse the machanics, enjoy the scenery and maybe, finally, get past the first dragon kill in the main quest (almost 400 hours played in skyrim, and i've yet to see a single greybeard).
    After that, mod that crap out of it.

    Nyysjan on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    TamerBill wrote: »
    Asthariel wrote: »
    I will never, ever understand why devs nowadays are disabling achievements when mods are used.

    Skyrim is a game that is so popular pretty much only because of mods! Why would you complicate using them, if people using mods are propably the ones that are going to play Skyrim the most!?

    Because you might use a cheat mod and get achievements you didn't earn. Then when everyone goes to look at your achievements, like constantly, they'll think you're MLG when you're really a nub.

    Achievement statistics are useful to developers, it's not crazy to want to keep them legit.

    There's already Steam Achievement Manager, and as mentioned mods to re-enable them, so it seems kind of pointless in this case.

  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I understand everyone on PCs disappointment, but this thing is overwhelmingly targeted at the new consoles, on PC you're likely to just get "different or worse" from your experience

  • TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    TamerBill wrote: »
    Asthariel wrote: »
    I will never, ever understand why devs nowadays are disabling achievements when mods are used.

    Skyrim is a game that is so popular pretty much only because of mods! Why would you complicate using them, if people using mods are propably the ones that are going to play Skyrim the most!?

    Because you might use a cheat mod and get achievements you didn't earn. Then when everyone goes to look at your achievements, like constantly, they'll think you're MLG when you're really a nub.

    Achievement statistics are useful to developers, it's not crazy to want to keep them legit.

    There's already Steam Achievement Manager, and as mentioned mods to re-enable them, so it seems kind of pointless in this case.

    It's a failure of a policy, sure, I just understand where they're coming from.

    3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Again, what is old is new again, and thus old youtube stuff must be reposted!

    https://youtu.be/c9eGtyqz4gY?t=26

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv3ScKLD1Vc

    RoyceSraphimZilla360
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    I understand everyone on PCs disappointment, but this thing is overwhelmingly targeted at the new consoles, on PC you're likely to just get "different or worse" from your experience

    Going to 64 bit is a big deal for stability of mods and such but the stuttering and unoptimizedness of it is a bummer.

    Twitch Streaming basically all week
    SniperGuyGaming on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
    ElvenshaeGnomeTankVeagle
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Completely unplayable for me. Any time there is any animation on screen, it drops to 11 FPS, on my 980 Ti...which can clearly handle Skyrim at more than 11 FPS. Not terribly upset, it was a free upgrade, but disappointed, I really wanted to sink in to some Skyrim tonight :(

    BTW, I ran into this too (complete with going to borderless windowed fixing it). GTX 1080, 32gb RAM, i7-4770k, and the game runs smoothly about 20% of the time...the other 80% is in the low teens. Gnome, do you have a G-Sync monitor by any chance?

    @Erlkönig Yes, I do have a G-sync monitor in fact.
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Prohass wrote: »
    I understand everyone on PCs disappointment, but this thing is overwhelmingly targeted at the new consoles, on PC you're likely to just get "different or worse" from your experience

    Going to 64 bit is a big deal for stability of mods and such but the stuttering and unoptimizedness of it is a bummer.

    This is why once SKSE is ported over and most of the big mods are ported over this will be "the version" to play, specifically because it's 64-bit. That's honestly the biggest thing we got as PC players and it's nothing to sneeze at in the grand scheme of things, it's just not flashy.

    GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    ElvenshaeVeagleSorcha Ravenlock
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So anyone with the PS4 version yet?

    How is it?

    If it runs just as well as the 360 version did I'm golden, don't really need or want much beyond that

    Okay, played a little last night (about halfway through the intro escape sequence) and...it seems like it runs just fine (kinda wish it was at 60fps...but that's just because I've been jaded by the PC version). Now, I never played Skyrim on 360 (or PS3 for that matter), but this is what I've been wanting for a whiles now: Skyrim on my PS4.
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Completely unplayable for me. Any time there is any animation on screen, it drops to 11 FPS, on my 980 Ti...which can clearly handle Skyrim at more than 11 FPS. Not terribly upset, it was a free upgrade, but disappointed, I really wanted to sink in to some Skyrim tonight :(

    BTW, I ran into this too (complete with going to borderless windowed fixing it). GTX 1080, 32gb RAM, i7-4770k, and the game runs smoothly about 20% of the time...the other 80% is in the low teens. Gnome, do you have a G-Sync monitor by any chance?

    @Erlkönig Yes, I do have a G-sync monitor in fact.

    @GnomeTank Okay, tested it out a little, and Skyrim really doesn't like G-sync. Disabling G-sync (just setting Skyrim, in particular, to a fixed refresh rate works) gets rid of the sporadic slowdowns when in fullscreen. I got the idea when windowed mode also removes the slowdown, since, by default, G-sync restricts itself to only working in fullscreen mode.

    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    Commodore75
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Good thing I'm still stuck way into Witcher 3; here's hoping that there'll be a number of patches and revamped mods to improve Skyrim SE. I did briefly look at the beginning, though, and it definitely does suffer from the effect of nostalgia goggles, looking pretty much like I remember the original game.

    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Frei wrote: »
    Is there a mod for the SE on PC that increases the occurrence of cinematic deathblows? Can't find one. Used to be quite a few for vanilla.

    Also the game runs beautifully for me, no problems at all so far. The only stupid thing is mods disabling achievements, but there's already a mod to stop that from happening.

    http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/245/?

    Sadly, you might be out of luck until skse pops back in.

  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
    Sir CarcassElvenshaeGroveZilla360NyysjanRoyceSraphimBionicPenguinSeptusPresident EvilIvan HungerjdarksunJoolander
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    That guy is way, way to thin to be the pizza born.

  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I may just order Domino's tonight!

    Ivan Hunger
  • FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Frei wrote: »
    Is there a mod for the SE on PC that increases the occurrence of cinematic deathblows? Can't find one. Used to be quite a few for vanilla.

    Also the game runs beautifully for me, no problems at all so far. The only stupid thing is mods disabling achievements, but there's already a mod to stop that from happening.

    http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/245/?

    Sadly, you might be out of luck until skse pops back in.

    There actually is one up on the in-game mod menu now. It went up several hours after release.

    Are you the magic man?
This discussion has been closed.