As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Monster Hunter] MH4U released! Go to new thread.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Nerscylla is just dumb. It needs green hardness to not bounce on the legs, and something higher on the front claws. And then if it's upside down, your options are... aim at tiny spike or wait for it to bite up if you're not a gunner.

Or just take a green sharpness weapon? I built one from the Seltas.
    hmmm... I kind of feel this reward grind (kill loot kill loot ...) has been done before but much better. WoW has been out for 10 years now. This game doesn't seem very immersive with all the loading screens and there is no story. Well I'm still in the tutorial so maybe I'll get into it. I'm not going to give up on it yet. Maybe it'll be better when it becomes a challenge and I play online.

This game is very different than WoW. I played a lot of WoW in the past, and I played it for the socialization and for the loot. Everything else was pretty secondary. I play Monster Hunter for the socialization and for the gameplay. The core gameplay of Monster Hunter is very fun and very rewarding, which is not something I can say for the core gameplay of WoW at all. The loot in Monster Hunter feels very secondary to me, it basically just acts as a guide as to which fun gameplay experience to go have with my friends. After a hunt none of my friends really care what loot we got, we care about that amazing fully charged hammer leap strike someone landed to knock Nerscylla out of the air while she was swinging. That's the highlight of the game. It's not trying to be immersive and its not trying to have a story. That kind of stuff would just get in the way of the fun gameplay, personally. Just hop straight into multiplayer, it's what my friends and I did, it's far more fun that way.

SeidkonaMummBrah
    edited February 2015
    Frei wrote: »
    alright, so, how do I unlock a Velocidrome hunt? I can only find her in expeditions and I'm on the 3rd set of quests.

Once you find a monster on an expedition you get a guild quest for it, you have to register it, in the options somewhere, and then you can pick it from the guild mission list in the meeting hall.

I'm fuzzy on the specifics because I haven't done it in 4U yet and in 4 everything was in Japanese.

Inquisitor on
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Nerscylla is just dumb. It needs green hardness to not bounce on the legs, and something higher on the front claws. And then if it's upside down, your options are... aim at tiny spike or wait for it to bite up if you're not a gunner.

Or just take a green sharpness weapon? I built one from the Seltas.

The problem is that even at green you'll bounce the front claws.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    Also I can't tell you how happy I am that they kept the JPN version of the blood when you hit an enemy

I never got around the crappy animations on the NA versions, now you can finally see a hit connect

J3qcnBP.png
    In positive news? Holy crap the fancy spit. The old double BBQ spit? TO SHAME.

10 meat at a time, from town. :D.

PLASeidkona
    edited February 2015
    The problem is that even at green you'll bounce the front claws.

Weird, I never bounced once with green sharpness fighting Nerscylla. Was focusing mostly on stunning her head and breaking her back for the sub-quest though.

Inquisitor on
    Maybe I just have terrible luck with it turning. I dunno.

• dinodankzdinodankz MH4U:Kitsune 2294-6661-8886Registered User regular
    added everyone from the list. probably won't be ready for online for a couple days, though.

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Man breaking Magala's feelers is a pain. I just want to craft Elendskraft! Stay still dammit!

Also, the fancy roast spit you unlock is the best thing ever. 10 simultaneous meat cookeries, in seconds, straight from town so no need to lug BBQs around in quests...

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • MonkeyConQuesoMonkeyConQueso No more MH Claw Happy handsRegistered User regular
    I'll be going through and cleansing my friends list and adding all those on the list currently here in a few. Sorry if I haven't added you back yet, but will shortly! Been spending a lot of time futzing around in the Village, and am now up to the 2* Urgent.

PSN : Aubvry ;; WiiU/XBL/Steam : MonkeyConQueso ;; 3DS FC : 4553-9982-3786
    Destiny! : Warlock - Titan - Hunter
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Well, I thought I'd never find a weapon to replace the Switch Axe in my heart, but the insect staves are too much fun. Free mounted attacks, going Super Saiyan; what's not to love?

I ate an engineer
  • MonkeyConQuesoMonkeyConQueso No more MH Claw Happy handsRegistered User regular
    Added everyone on the list onto my Friends! Please add me back if you can, as I'll probably need to do some pruning to add any more people. Dang 100 person limit...

PSN : Aubvry ;; WiiU/XBL/Steam : MonkeyConQueso ;; 3DS FC : 4553-9982-3786
    Destiny! : Warlock - Titan - Hunter
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Frei wrote: »
    alright, so, how do I unlock a Velocidrome hunt? I can only find her in expeditions and I'm on the 3rd set of quests.

Once you find a monster on an expedition you get a guild quest for it, you have to register it, in the options somewhere, and then you can pick it from the guild mission list in the meeting hall.

I'm fuzzy on the specifics because I haven't done it in 4U yet and in 4 everything was in Japanese.

You just do it from the pause menu in town, there's an option in there for 'guild quests' or something and that walks you through the process.

Also green sharpness will definitely bounce off of Nerscylla's forelimbs, they have a sort of grey armour on them which she holds in front of her face a lot. That's the only place I found which would deflect green hits though. Kinda reminds me of Shogun Ceanataur.

FredZ89
    Interesting! I wonder if it's an impact vs. cutting thing but I think we managed to rip off one of her forelimbs pretty early in every fight and then I think she stops blocking with them, so I guess I didn't notice!

Monster behavior in these games is so much fun.

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Certainly could be, I was using dual swords, which are quite likely to bounce at the best of times I think, I didn't manage to break her legs at all, just her back twice.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I'm at a friend's house. We figured out how to get into the same local guild hall. How do we hunt though?

What is this I don't even.
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I'm at a friend's house. We figured out how to get into the same local guild hall. How do we hunt though?

Someone needs to take a mission from the desk.

Then, go to the board to the right of the desk, the players who did not take the mission from the desk need to accept the mission from there as well.

Then, those players need to go to the exit and ready up. Then the player who took the mission from the desk can go to the exit and launch the mission.

Eat a meal beforehand and good luck!

Darkewolfe
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Managed to find a new 3ds and Monster Hunter somehow! My code is in the list, looking forward to seeing what all this hype is about.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I might try a switch axe I got a 745 damage one from artifact.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Who is Ilsadar?

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
      OK, I got a question for you guys. I just got my copy of 4U, but I have a problem. I as going to get a new 3DS (new model) with it, but every place I went was sold out. I will get one, but I need to know, can I transfer my hunter and data to a new memory card for it? Or do I need to start over completely from the start?

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »
      Who is Ilsadar?

we should add hunter name to the spreadsheet.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
      XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
      TolerantZeroVyolynceDracil
      edited February 2015
      I have two pieces of velocidrome armor made.

Gonna finish that up before either continuing village or going back online.

Seidkona on
    • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      Entaru wrote: »
      i have two peoces of velocidrome armor made.

Gonna finish that up before either continueing village or going back online.

We're currently running it online if you wanna join

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
        Ok good lord that was a pain in the ass to add everyone, but i did it!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
      • FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
        Yes the friend code thing is quite a pain. Trying to get everyone added back.

just finished up my Velocidrome armor set. I completely glossed over the guild quest things you can designate and do in the gathering hall, but when I finally realized it it was a really good way to farm veloc fast.

Are you the magic man?
      • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
        So how exactly do you get more quests in the town? I've completed the second batch, and I did one expedition where I beat a Velocidrome, and now nobody else has quests for me and when I talk to the guild girl she talks about a big monster that appeared in the expedition area. Do I have to do another expedition first?

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
        *TyCart*_banner.jpg
      • TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
        TimFiji wrote: »
        Who is Ilsadar?

we should add hunter name to the spreadsheet.

I don't know if we had a special spreadsheet person, but I went ahead and added a new column for that.

Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
        Seidkona
        DeMoN wrote: »
        So how exactly do you get more quests in the town? I've completed the second batch, and I did one expedition where I beat a Velocidrome, and now nobody else has quests for me and when I talk to the guild girl she talks about a big monster that appeared in the expedition area. Do I have to do another expedition first?

Yeah if you talk to the Captain he basically says you need to go kill a big monster, that big monster is the next expedition. Took me a bit to figure out how to progress during that part as well.

• DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
        DeMoN wrote: »

Yeah if you talk to the Captain he basically says you need to go kill a big monster, that big monster is the next expedition. Took me a bit to figure out how to progress during that part as well.

Okay cool, thanks!

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
        *TyCart*_banner.jpg
      • FredZ89FredZ89 Huehuehueh Registered User regular

Sorry for asking, but what do you mean by "continuing village"? Should I worry about crafting some nice armor and weapon before doing quests in town or what?

Basically, what should I be focusing on right now? I've done two 2* quests so far (Den Mothers and Kelbi Cure-all). Help a noob out !

Currently Playing: MH4U
        My Steam profile
        3DS: 1435-3951-4785
      • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
        Complete new quests to get loot. Go on expeditions. There's really nothing to worry about; if you feel like you're not durable enough, repeat quests you can beat to get upgraded gear, but it's not necessary.

I would say that in general, it's almost always worth going a little out of your way to get a weapon upgrade if you can, but armor less so. The first monster you fight in the second village area makes a really great set (+defense, +HP) which I'd choose to make over the Velocidrome +attack set.

I ate an engineer
      • CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
        "Village" (caravan) quests given by the guildmarm must be played solo, plus or minus cats, whereas you can bring a party of up to four when taking on quests at the gathering hall (thus, online).
        Not all facilities are available at the start, not all merchants have their best possible stock, etc, and in general, to unlock them, you have to take caravan quests.
        Monsters in online quests are also stronger, to provide a better challenge to a full hunting party, but they can still be beaten solo.

I enjoyed doing online with my friends first because now I have gear way better than what I should have (full Nerscylla set and weapon) so I can just breeze through the (in my opinion) less interesting solo stuff.

• CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
        I think I just obsoleted my g.jaggi armor by opening up the antiquary. Sharpener decorations are still 1 slot for 2 points.

edited February 2015
        FredZ89 wrote: »

Sorry for asking, but what do you mean by "continuing village"? Should I worry about crafting some nice armor and weapon before doing quests in town or what?

Basically, what should I be focusing on right now? I've done two 2* quests so far (Den Mothers and Kelbi Cure-all). Help a noob out !

I just meant stoping to hunt offline to do some more villiage. I'd make a set of armor for yourself but an easy set to make would be the jaggi stuff. In my experience it's good stuff in this one.

Technically velocidrom armor is better but I don't know if it's worth the trouble in general. And g jaggi's a lot easier to farm than velo at the start.

Seidkona on
      • DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
        @preacher and @farangu I don't think your friend codes are right

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
      • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
        Killed a Great Jaggi in the Arena. Apparently they're a dime a dozen monster according to some other people but biggest thing I've killed yet after playing MH for a total of about half an hour.

• ogretzogretz Registered User regular
        edited February 2015
        @timmfiji and @frosteey, 4 for 4 on Gore, nice work!

ogretz on
        friend code: 2165-5516-7098
        TimFiji
      • dinodankzdinodankz MH4U:Kitsune 2294-6661-8886Registered User regular
        I wish I could get used to playing on the 3DS controls. I put 400 hours into 3U on the WiiU, but now I feel like a noob again.

I guess that's part of the fun. I get to get better again.