As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Monster Hunter] MH4U released! Go to new thread.

• FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Dritz wrote: »
    @preacher and @farangu I don't think your friend codes are right

Thanks, fixed it

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Man, you want to know the difference between a MH newb and a veteran?

First MH4U capture quest (Gendrome)? Aced it in 3:34, first shot.

My first capture quest in MH3U was not as efficient. Or successful.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    dinodankz
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Dritz wrote: »
    @preacher and @farangu I don't think your friend codes are right

Weird I'll have to get a look at it. Whats strange is that I was able to add farangu no issue.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    dinodankz wrote: »
    I wish I could get used to playing on the 3DS controls. I put 400 hours into 3U on the WiiU, but now I feel like a noob again.

I guess that's part of the fun. I get to get better again.
    Playing this on a portable device compared to a console is annoying as hell. I thought the new 3DS XL would be big enough it'd be similar enough to playing 3U on the Wii U pad, which wasn't ideal but workable, but it's still tiny buttons on a tiny device. Don't like how start and select do the same thing now, so kick or menu HAS to be on the touch screen rather than having both with a physical button. It may be an option I haven't found to toggle yet, but also not liking the change to the camera. Instead of set spots to hit up and down it's a free camera the whole way.

The series is better than it's ever been as it continues to improve with every release but portable devices still suck.

Column on
    Agahnim
  • FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    I would like to believe that I ended the night by killing Gravios with a kinsect shot so I am going to believe that.

dinodankz
    Fixed my friend code it was 5 instead of a six at the end.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Frosteey wrote: »
    I would like to believe that I ended the night by killing Gravios with a kinsect shot so I am going to believe that.

It's true, I saw it

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • ogretzogretz Registered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »
      Frosteey wrote: »

It's true, I saw it

Confirmed

friend code: 2165-5516-7098
    • MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
      Just beat yian kut-ku for the first time. Has anyone noticed that Yian and Queropeco seem to be the same monster in certain ways?

Matthew wrote: »
      Just beat yian kut-ku for the first time. Has anyone noticed that Yian and Queropeco seem to be the same monster in certain ways?

Similar, but there is a later one that reminded me more of peco except instead of fire he has god damn poison.

pleasepaypreacher.net
      Dignified Pauper
    • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
      Preacher wrote: »

Similar, but there is a later one that reminded me more of peco except instead of fire he has god damn poison.

Gypceros loves you.

steam_sig.png
    • Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
      edited February 2015
      Preacher wrote: »

Except of one annoying trait...
      Shocktraps are USELESS

Dignified Pauper on
      PSN: DignifiedPauper
      3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
      ZanshinretsufRAWRst
    • ColumnColumn Registered User regular
      Peco is basically a third generation YKK. There's more than a few monsters in the series with similar moves to serve the same role. Sometimes it's a lot closer to a one to one copy like Great Jaggi and Great Baggi to Velocidrome, Gendrome, and Iodrome or Kut-Ku and Peco. You went from Velociprey to Velocidrome to Kut-Ku on in MH1 the same way you went to Jaggi to Great Jaggi to Peco in the third generation.

Other times it's still similar but you get more differences. Gravios from MH1 has a giant laser beam attack that basically goes full screen and shakes off some sleep powder compared to Uragaan in MH3 who also shakes off some sleep powder, does some other stuff Gravios doesn't, but rather than shoot a beam he curls into a ball and rolls around most of the area.

You'll also see recolors that add new moves and/or change the fight dynamic in some way Kut-Ku, Blue Kut-Ku, and Yian Garuga, Rathian, Pink Rathian, and Gold Rathian, Nargacuga and Lucent Nargacuga. These subspecies offer other armor and weapons too, typically upgrades with weapons and different skills armor wise.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
      I want to like the long sword, but I spent awhile with the greatsword and the damage difference is just so huge...

What is this I don't even.
    • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
      Darkewolfe wrote: »
      I want to like the long sword, but I spent awhile with the greatsword and the damage difference is just so huge...

A part of hunting is letting go of the weapon you think you should like and using the ones you actually do.

I'm not being glib here. I really dislike the charge blade despite thinking that on paper it looks amazing. Me and it just don't see eye to eye and letting go of the romance I had in my head with it is a little hard.

In other news my highest upgraded weapon is a lance. The moratoriam didn't last more than three fights.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
      XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
      dinodankz
    • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
      Entaru wrote: »
      Darkewolfe wrote: »

A part of hunting is letting go of the weapon you think you should like and using the ones you actually do.

I'm not being glib here. I really dislike the charge blade despite thinking that on paper it looks amazing. Me and it just don't see eye to eye and letting go of the romance I had in my head with it is a little hard.

In other news my highest upgraded weapon is a lance. The moratoriam didn't last more than three fights.

Yeah, I'm this close to just going back to SnS. Charge blade is fun to use, and I'm obliterating things with it (first Zinogre kill offline just now... <10 min). The problem is that the bulk of its firepower is in axe mode, and its terribly imprecise. This is a weapon I'd bring on a hunt where the group needs a fuckton of raw damage output (remember Alatreon's obscene HP?), but if I'm trying to cut tails, it's a little hard to use for that. Sword mode is better for that... I also still can't shake the feeling it's OP (which is something that generally turns me off using things), because lol sub ten minute runs with a death in that.

On the upside that run I learned you can mount a fully charged Zinogre, and success will discharge it. On the other hand, even a full five-phial ultra burst isn't enough damage (or, given the imprecise nature of that attack... hit the wrong zone).

Insect glaives are neat, but I find them frustrating to fight with sometimes when I just can't get a red charge (fuck Khezu, tiniest "head" zone ever). Combined with the stress of kinsect growth and them being generic... probably not going into them. Though the hop anywhere is fucking amazing, and with red its airborne attack is nice and great when you're dodging/attacking at the same time with it (lots of attacks are low to the ground and you can just leap over them).

Both new weapon types are ultimately fun, but the drawbacks... well, I haven't used lances since Tri really. And there's a FLOWER lance. A FLOWER. And it does sleep. It's a shame the Magala lance is aesthetically unappealing to me, but the old Stygian gear is back anyways and that one has solid stats... but nowhere near as good as the Magala one (more raw, but not enough to overcome 45%!!! affinity and higher element)

Steam: Polaritie
      3DS: 0473-8507-2652
      Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
      PSN: AbEntropy
    • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
      I do like the insect glaive in practice and will eventually give a good run but right now I'm having too much fun with my sns and lance peices.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
      XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
      I'm finding the hammers are way more my style this time out. Charge sword is nice, but I panic when using it and end up missing big attacks and getting trapped with it. Hammer I just hit and run and lay down the law.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    • PrjctD_CaptainPrjctD_Captain iFizzRegistered User regular
      Obligatory: Hi, first time hunter, having a blast now that I found a weapon that clicked. The sheer number of items and gear and different quest types is fairly overwhelming but I'm having fun just hitting big things with big guts. Hope to join y'all online sometime!

Steam: BrightWing
      PSN: BrightWing13 FFX|V:ARR Bright Asuna
    • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
      edited February 2015
      @fRAWRst Your friend code isn't working. (EDIT: A lot of peoples' FCs aren't working...)

Also, just did a Rare Expedition outside of the two required ones before leaving Val Habar. Maaan I got toasted. Velocidrome wasn't too bad but I kept getting blindsided by Kut-Ku's tailswipes. Five monsters - two V'Dromes, two Kut-Kus and a Kecha Wacha - and the Dromes were the only ones I could kill. It really puts into perspective how spoiled we non-JPers were with the bonus 50 Defense in 3U.

Also I should put together something tougher than the Hunter's set I guess?

Ianator on
      steam_sig.png
      Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
      Backlog Challenge List
    • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
      Ianator wrote: »
      @fRAWRst Your friend code isn't working. (EDIT: A lot of peoples' FCs aren't working...)

I just tried to enter a lot of codes, too, and they're not working. Did someone go through and screw with them?

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    • fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
      Yeah, someone changed mine by 1 digit, looks like we have a vandal

mine is 1091-8812-8917

might want to add an uneditable portion of the OP with the correct numbers as it looks like someone enjoys being a jerk

J3qcnBP.png
      So the glaive.

Aiming that shot is really awkward.

Besides that and it being a bit fiddly with doing wide attacks, I rather like it.

I'll maybe try to clear all the village stuff with one and see how it goes.

steam_sig.png
    • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
      So far I've tried out Knife, Charge Blade, and Heavy Bowgun. The Knife seemed a bit...mundane compared to the other two.

Gonna take a gander at Longsword, Twin Blade, and maybe Gunlance.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
      So the glaive.

Besides that and it being a bit fiddly with doing wide attacks, I rather like it.

For the most part, aiming it isn't necessary - your main target is the monster's head for red. Limbs are white, body orange, tails/wings tend to be green (no buff, just the heal of... an herb or so?).

Steam: Polaritie
      3DS: 0473-8507-2652
      Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
      PSN: AbEntropy
    • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
      edited February 2015
      Madican wrote: »
      So far I've tried out Knife, Charge Blade, and Heavy Bowgun. The Knife seemed a bit...mundane compared to the other two.

Gonna take a gander at Longsword, Twin Blade, and maybe Gunlance.

I've been using the hunting horn and a little bit of the longsword. I really enjoy the longsword - it's satisfying pulling off a whole combo and turning your blade into a lightsaber - but I guess it's not too good to use in a full group? Lots of friendly fire. I might use it while playing solo, or try the greatsword next, and keep the horn for multiplayer.

Dashui on
      Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
      Wait... There is Friendly Fire? That must be why I kept getting knocked back when you were attacking the Jaggi.

Also twice I had that gold egg. and both times I lost it. SO MAD.

Polaritie wrote: »
      So the glaive.

For the most part, aiming it isn't necessary - your main target is the monster's head for red. Limbs are white, body orange, tails/wings tend to be green (no buff, just the heal of... an herb or so?).

My problem is shooting always recenters on the camera. I often attack to the side or towards the camera as I've just gotten used to it over the years (when I played the PSP games I only moved the camera while dodge rolling so I spent a large part of fights with the camera at odd angles.)

So I try to tag something and I just shoot off into nothing. Boo.

steam_sig.png
    • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
      Inquisitor wrote: »
      Frei wrote: »
      alright, so, how do I unlock a Velocidrome hunt? I can only find her in expeditions and I'm on the 3rd set of quests.

Once you find a monster on an expedition you get a guild quest for it, you have to register it, in the options somewhere, and then you can pick it from the guild mission list in the meeting hall.

I'm fuzzy on the specifics because I haven't done it in 4U yet and in 4 everything was in Japanese.

You have it spot on. I don't know when you fight Velocidrome in the storyline / village quests, which I think is what @Inquisitor was asking. The armor is base defense 13 which is pretty good, a little less than Tetsucabra / Kut-Ku armor. I've only seen Yan Kut-Ku in Expeditions so far, as well.

I've almost finished my Velocidrome armor set, I'm only missing Gluegloppers. Is there a good mission to farm those in?

Also: Relic weapons appear to be really awesome, but relic armor seems to be worthless. Does that change?

Man Narcella is a real bitch. Hopefully with a healing palico that fight won't be nearly as awful a second or third time.

pleasepaypreacher.net
      Vyolynce
    • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
      brachiduramblos_Deviljhaggi.png

IanatorMonkeyConQuesoPolaritie
    • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
      i7e3k4G.jpg

Full Tatsucabra set GET

Now I need to beat more tusks out of his face to upgrade my boost hammer

PSN: Waybackkidd
      "...only mights and maybes."
    • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
      Ooh, the ice map in this game is pretty.
      Although zone 2 creeps me out, if they had animated things swimming under the ice you would be hard pressed to make me go in there...

I should probably work on revisiting old quests to grab the materials for new swords, buuut I want to see all the new stuff!

edited February 2015
      Peeking at the Dual Blade weapon tree.

There are a LOT of *Element* / Blast weapons, i.e., weapons that not only have great elemental damage, but also cause explosions just like Brachydios gear. Quite a few of the other status effects, too, like Water/Para. That's... pretty amazing, actually, and really makes DS stand out.

Edit: Also, at this rate I'm going to hit High Rank on this Guild Quest fighting the same damned Velociodrome, waiting for it to drop enough mats for the last piece of armor. I really should move on, heh.

KiTA on
    • DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
      edited February 2015
      It has been a very long time since I've used a portable that isn't a phone. Two days of 4U and my poor hands are cramping something awful. Had to reattach the circle pad pro and make myself get used to it.
      The felyne mini hunts are neat. About to do the Magala expedition. Woo!

Also, I guess I should make some new armor... The pumpkin stuff has charge speed, that's good for greatswords.

Dyvion on
      Steam: No Safety In Life
      PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
    • MonkeyConQuesoMonkeyConQueso No more MH Claw Happy handsRegistered User regular
      edited February 2015
      My problem is shooting always recenters on the camera. I often attack to the side or towards the camera as I've just gotten used to it over the years (when I played the PSP games I only moved the camera while dodge rolling so I spent a large part of fights with the camera at odd angles.)

You can change the camera to specifically target the direction the camera is facing vs the direction your character is facing. I go by camera facing because I'm so dang used to it.

e: Yeah, someone changed my FC by one in the spreadsheet, so it looks like they just went down the line to mess with peeps. I guess I'll be checking it every once in a while, but if you can't add me, just look at my sig.

MonkeyConQueso on
      PSN : Aubvry ;; WiiU/XBL/Steam : MonkeyConQueso ;; 3DS FC : 4553-9982-3786
      Destiny! : Warlock - Titan - Hunter
    • LeftOT73LeftOT73 Registered User regular
      Added my name and then tried to add all the FCs. 5/45 worked. Mine got changed as I tried the rest. Or I made a typo to begin with. Fun..

Almost done being punished for the stupidity of choosing cheap shipping. One more day...

• FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
      Yeah def. someone going through changing one digit in FCs. I added people but only a few were correct.

Are you the magic man?
    • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      Can I change anything to prevent this asshole from doing it?

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills