As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Monster Hunter] MH4U released! Go to new thread.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Man, the late part of VR4 is just filled with horrible choices. After you beat Najarala:
    Your primary objective is an Expedition vs. Gore Magala. Without your palicos, for plot reasons.

Hmm. What else you got?
    TWO Nerscylla? TWO Gypceros? Fuuuu—

I am not doing those without my cats!

Like the only remotely reasonable quest is to hunt a Rathian.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Man, the late part of VR4 is just filled with horrible choices. After you beat Najarala:
    Your primary objective is an Expedition vs. Gore Magala. Without your palicos, for plot reasons.

Hmm. What else you got?
    TWO Nerscylla? TWO Gypceros? Fuuuu—

I am not doing those without my cats!

Like the only remotely reasonable quest is to hunt a Rathian.

Well, that expedition isn't nearly as bad as it seems. Just bring a full potion load and you'll be fine.
    It's only repel, and fairly low damage it seems. Plus, you get kitty back immediately.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Matthew
    Yeah I figured it wouldn't be go-time quite yet. Taking a meal break for now and heading into it soon.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • ogretzogretz Registered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »
    How does online work in this game? Can I join other peoples' high-rank quests, or do I need to grind out low-rank before I'm eligible?

You'll need to grind it out. The higher the rank of the quest, the higher the minimum HR to join.

Polaritie wrote: »
    Affinity is +25% raw when crits proc, correct? (or -25% for negative affinity weapons)

Yes affinity = crit %

friend code: 2165-5516-7098
  • rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    I've never played a game in the Monster Hunter series before this one, but after playing through the demo a few times, I decided to give it a shot. I've now put about 6 hours or so in, and man am I hooked. This game is going to kill my life.

I'm starting to get the hang of the system, just finished crafting my Jaggi set. There are just so many aspects to the system that the game doesn't explain at all. I don't understand what the guild quests are. I registered two of them, but they only show up in the gathering hall? Are the guild quests multiplayer-only? If not, how are they different from the regular quest lines?

Also, what are the slots on armor pieces used for? I have yet to see any options for putting things there.

I apologize in advance for the deluge of questions this game generates. Hoping to get oriented a bit before jumping online.

So, anyone know if there's a trick to getting Plesioth to show up? That armor is taunting me (it still has tranq/speed setup!)

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    So, anyone know if there's a trick to getting Plesioth to show up? That armor is taunting me (it still has tranq/speed setup!)

You have to get the materials from the palico fishing game.

steam_sig.png
    rndmhero wrote: »
    I've never played a game in the Monster Hunter series before this one, but after playing through the demo a few times, I decided to give it a shot. I've now put about 6 hours or so in, and man am I hooked. This game is going to kill my life.

I'm starting to get the hang of the system, just finished crafting my Jaggi set. There are just so many aspects to the system that the game doesn't explain at all. I don't understand what the guild quests are. I registered two of them, but they only show up in the gathering hall? Are the guild quests multiplayer-only? If not, how are they different from the regular quest lines?

Also, what are the slots on armor pieces used for? I have yet to see any options for putting things there.

I apologize in advance for the deluge of questions this game generates. Hoping to get oriented a bit before jumping online.

Guild Quests are new to MH4 as far as I know.

They can be done solo. I believe they're different in that they get progressively harder as you complete them; the quests themselves "level up". Also, I think that the monsters that appear in them do not appear normally, but the only Guild Quests I've got so far are Velocidromes so I'm not 100% on that.

Slots are used for decorations. You'll learn about them as you help out Harth.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    rndmhero

You have to get the materials from the palico fishing game.

Yes, when Plesioth shows up in it. I'm asking if there's a trick to getting it to show.

• ogretzogretz Registered User regular
    rndmhero wrote: »

Guild Quests are new to MH4 as far as I know.

They can be done solo. I believe they're different in that they get progressively harder as you complete them; the quests themselves "level up". Also, I think that the monsters that appear in them do not appear normally, but the only Guild Quests I've got so far are Velocidromes so I'm not 100% on that.

Slots are used for decorations. You'll learn about them as you help out Harth.

The monsters are exactly the same as what you register. You can get some quests with any monsters you've unlocked in single player. You can also earn relics in these quests which are random pieces of gear with random stats/skills. They are not part of the progress (at least for me so far) in the actual story but more for grinding for materials and rare gear.

friend code: 2165-5516-7098
    Dignified Pauper
    Yeah I've registered a few on Expeditions (Veloci, YKK, and Basarios) but have only received Veloci Guild Quests.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    Desire sensor confirmed. Frost sacs are a bitch.

edited February 2015
    Oh man. Beating Najarala also let me forge my"Feyline and Melynx" duals. Let's paralyze some monsters!

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    Polaritie
    edited February 2015
    Nerscylla felyne armor is awesome. Takes a while to get enough scrap though... (it helps a LOT to have a full five, but...)

Polaritie on
    Geth
  • fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    I've been rocking the genprey para SnS so far in SP

nothing quite like dodging into a full combo that can also para

J3qcnBP.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Jesus who thought that stupid boat fight was a good idea.

Darkewolfedinodankz
    Inquisitor wrote: »

No idea. The parts where it's on the ground are... yeah. Though you can climb up a bit since it's all low attacks from it. The rest isn't so bad though - cannons and secret bow weapon.

• MonkeyConQuesoMonkeyConQueso No more MH Claw Happy handsRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the new spreadsheet - I re-entered my deets, and will go back and verify I've got everyone.

PSN : Aubvry ;; WiiU/XBL/Steam : MonkeyConQueso ;; 3DS FC : 4553-9982-3786
    Destiny! : Warlock - Titan - Hunter
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Thanks to cromarty and islander and puppycup for dealing with my hr 1 quests for a couple hours. I really appreciate it. Got me my urgent.

Also sorry if i butchered any of your names

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    Dignified Pauper
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

No idea. The parts where it's on the ground are... yeah. Though you can climb up a bit since it's all low attacks from it. The rest isn't so bad though - cannons and secret bow weapon.

The only trouble I had with it is that I got hit by the virus for the second time, and it was flying/approaching the bow so I couldn't do any damage to lose the virus, and that resulted in a near immediate kitty cart (but I did dragonator it). It was a really easy fight though.

I ate an engineer
  • Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Thanks to cromarty and islander and puppycup for dealing with my hr 1 quests for a couple hours. I really appreciate it. Got me my urgent.

Also sorry if i butchered any of your names

Ilsadar.

That said, great fun! I need for Great Jaggi parts for some reason

PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
    Nerscylla felyne armor is awesome. Takes a while to get enough scrap though... (it helps a LOT to have a full five, but...)

I've found that getting enough Humble Scraps is usually the limiting factor, annoyingly.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the hunts people. Pity I couldn't get to hr4 as well. Oh well maybe tonight.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Dritz wrote: »
    Thanks for the hunts people. Pity I couldn't get to hr4 as well. Oh well maybe tonight.

I'll be around when you're ready! just let me know

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
      I forgot how fun and expensive bowguns are. Shooting things from cliffs feels pretty satisfying, even if there's not much functional difference compared to ancient flat elevation bowgunning techniques.

I was worried because I really struggled trying to do ranged stuff in the demo, but going through and setting up all the options fixed things mostly.

Spider sniper rifle looks cool and makes a good sound.

Queen Seltas fight was fun. I had no idea what was happening most of the time, but fun.

• FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
      Queen Seltas is brutal when she's around lil' Seltas. good lord.

Are you the magic man?
    • FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
      Also I had pretty much everyone from the old list added, and I'm going to go through the new one.

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
      I'll probably start updating my friends list tonight, but I won't start playing until tomorrow.

FU7kFbw.png
      Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
      I really wanted a poison lance to fight Monoblos, but apparenly that isn't going to fucking happen, because I would need eight Garuga Tails, and Yian Garuga apparently appears in--get this--literally zero repeatable quests.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
    • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
      Just got this. Been using charge blade but not really sure how it works...4399-2012-1711 is friend code. Only just started playing.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
      I really wanted a poison lance to fight Monoblos, but apparenly that isn't going to fucking happen, because I would need eight Garuga Tails, and Yian Garuga apparently appears in--get this--literally zero repeatable quests.

Guild quests? Someone needs to get it and share it for us.

I have a question for the series vets re: Volcanic Hollow.
      Has the series ever re-used an entire map like this? Volcanic Hollow is literally just a palette-swap of Sunken Hollow.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    • Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
      Has the series ever re-used an entire map like this? Volcanic Hollow is literally just a palette-swap of Sunken Hollow.

Doesn't the story suggest this is the natural state of the Hollows?

PSN: DignifiedPauper
      3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577

Doesn't the story suggest this is the natural state of the Hollows?

Hm. Actually that makes sense and I completely missed it.

Wow. Nice touch.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    • Page-Page- Registered User regular

I was initially annoyed, because Garuga armour is great in FU, but it seems to be all kinds of bleh in 4U, so whatever.

Working with the gunlance for the first time has been a weird experience. I feel generally awful at it, but I'm still brute forcing my way through the game just fine (just did a 5 monster sweep of an expedition npnp, even though the rewards hardly justified it). There's this nagging in the back of mind mind, though, that I could be going 3 times as fast if I just went back to hammers like I'm used to.

I figure it'll be just like FU, where I got all the way to the end of HR with the hammers without every actually stunning a monster, then got stuck for a while and had to learn how to play properly.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
      Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
      stream
    • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »

Can everyone see the results ok?

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
        MonkeyConQueso
      • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
        Page- wrote: »

I was initially annoyed, because Garuga armour is great in FU, but it seems to be all kinds of bleh in 4U, so whatever.

Working with the gunlance for the first time has been a weird experience. I feel generally awful at it, but I'm still brute forcing my way through the game just fine (just did a 5 monster sweep of an expedition npnp, even though the rewards hardly justified it). There's this nagging in the back of mind mind, though, that I could be going 3 times as fast if I just went back to hammers like I'm used to.

I figure it'll be just like FU, where I got all the way to the end of HR with the hammers without every actually stunning a monster, then got stuck for a while and had to learn how to play properly.

I feel the same way. I'm trying a lot of weapons and such but this would be a total breeze if I just went back to hammers.

steam_sig.png
      • michaelmathmichaelmath Someday Registered User regular
        I'm starting to get the hang of this game, but man, attacking in this game is SLOOOOOOOW. God help me if I'm facing the wrong direction.

Also chasing down fleeing monsters is frustrating. The paintball wears off and then you're stuck running all over the place.

• MonkeyConQuesoMonkeyConQueso No more MH Claw Happy handsRegistered User regular

Can everyone see the results ok?

I can see it just fine!

PSN : Aubvry ;; WiiU/XBL/Steam : MonkeyConQueso ;; 3DS FC : 4553-9982-3786
        Destiny! : Warlock - Titan - Hunter
      • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
        Is there a general room on TS for hunting or is it just see who's on