As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Monster Hunter] MH4U released! Go to new thread.

1939495969799»

Posts

  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I'm not sure CB is generally meant to be used for poking aside from drawing into axe and maybe an A double-swing with phial, and then sheathing/switching to sword right after.

    I thought Sword mode values aren't that bad? The basic combo is 14+17+30 (GP after the last hit but long recover so lower DPS). The charge A is 30+20. Shield thrust is 8+12+explosion (basically a 5 that ignores defense).

    When in sword mode I basically try to stick to the monster. I like doing X/X+A/repeat just to try apply paralyze on the monsters with my Desert Rose. Guard/GP/roll as needed. Once paralyzed, go to town with axe mode on head for a KO.

    Now granted I'm using a G-rank weapon on Caravan high-rank monsters recently but I've been doing a lot of mount -> paralyze -> KO -> dead on monsters like that.

    I think my biggest frustration normally with CB is how so many moves change my position so I inevitably end up behind the monster or off-center while trying to phial burst.

    Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
    Geth
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    So guys, dilemma on weapons.

    CB is getting really rough for me, as it doesn't have great poking ability (as the damage of sword mode is somewhat low, and axe mode is a bit of a commitment). Any tips?

    Because it's getting really tempting to hang them up for SA or SnS (both of which I've put in a fair amount of time with in 3U). Or to try out GL or something (I should be able to make the Dios line quickly with what's in my box, and that looks like a good all-around one).

    Or should I just say fuck it and go full time archer for now?
    Sword-mode Charge Blade isn't THAT bad, if you do the right moves. Jump attack is 22, and shield bash with a charged shield works out to the equivalent of, like...27-ish. Chaining those together is very low-commitment, with the caveat that you can't do it out of a roll (you have to open with the 17 swing there). For slightly longer openings that are still too short for axe mode, the charge slash is a total of 50(!) and the roundhouse finisher is 30 with a guard point. You barely have to use the piddly 12 and 17 X>X swings if you don't want to. There are definitely fights where I'm more comfortable with a Switch Axe and Evade + Evade Extender, but you can do worse. (By comparison, assuming Power Phial, Switch Axe in sword mode does 30 and 36 with its vertical slashes.)

    The really frustrating thing is that it seems like every end-game monster attacks, like, two frames too fast to get caught by the guard point at the end of the roundhouse swing. It's so infuriating.

    Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Dear Yian Garuga. Stick around long enough for me to kill you, and get your Guild Quest.

    Love, me.

    I still don't get QUITE how guild quests work. I don't expedition much.

    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    It's basically kill monster in expedition and there's a 80 or 90% chance you get a guild quest. Each shiny is 10%.

    Kill multiple monsters in one run and get a chance at double-monster guild quests, which are better.


    And on that note, expeditions can end up with you fighting a Seltas Queen that cannot summon a Seltas (if it's a double monster at the start... though the other monster is usually a Seltas, but it can't call it... it may end up meeting it eventually).

    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Ah, cheers. Yian Garuga was just so resilient, but I was using a Gore Magala charge blade, so probably not powerful enough, and I recall that dragon doesn't do that much damage to it. Maybe I should bring the Zamtrios one instead. I don't have a Water Chargeblade.

    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Kay wrote: »
    Ah, cheers. Yian Garuga was just so resilient, but I was using a Gore Magala charge blade, so probably not powerful enough, and I recall that dragon doesn't do that much damage to it. Maybe I should bring the Zamtrios one instead. I don't have a Water Chargeblade.

    Nah, bring an impact blade for it (but not Scylla, as it's poison immune) if you don't have water elemental. Water has a 50(!) hitbox. Ice is only above 10... where water gets 50.

    Your Magala one should be fine really. The back takes 30 dragon. Otherwise, hit the tail and head (50 and 65 cut respectively).

    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Kay wrote: »
    Ah, cheers. Yian Garuga was just so resilient, but I was using a Gore Magala charge blade, so probably not powerful enough, and I recall that dragon doesn't do that much damage to it. Maybe I should bring the Zamtrios one instead. I don't have a Water Chargeblade.

    Nah, bring an impact blade for it (but not Scylla, as it's poison immune) if you don't have water elemental. Water has a 50(!) hitbox. Ice is only above 10... where water gets 50.

    Your Magala one should be fine really. The back takes 30 dragon. Otherwise, hit the tail and head (50 and 65 cut respectively).
    It doesn't matter what the back takes. You can't even hit the back under normal conditions, and even when it falls over its cutting multiplier is 10, the single lowest I've ever seen. Dragon is awful against the head and legs (which are what you're actually going to be hitting most of the time), so you can more or less round its value down to zero.

    Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Give me a few to get to my computer and i'll put up a new thread.

    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    It's basically kill monster in expedition and there's a 80 or 90% chance you get a guild quest. Each shiny is 10%.

    Kill multiple monsters in one run and get a chance at double-monster guild quests, which are better.


    And on that note, expeditions can end up with you fighting a Seltas Queen that cannot summon a Seltas (if it's a double monster at the start... though the other monster is usually a Seltas, but it can't call it... it may end up meeting it eventually).

    I got into that scenario where there was I think a blue kutku and a seltas queen, after I killed the kutku a seltas showed up, but for whatever reason voltron never formed. Maybe the interaction between the queen and minions is coded into the missions and not necessarily on them both being together.

    Also in general i hate expeditions... the running away mechanic is terrible, and the timer for it seems to start when you are spotted by the monster not how long you've been fighting it. Ill generally dung bomb one of the monsters away so i can fight 1v1, but after I kill the first or it runs away ill get the msg that the other is going to flee and I havent even been near it. Free hunt in 3 was way better.

  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
Sign In or Register to comment.