As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hospitals and Long Term Treatment: Chronic illness thread

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    So I figure for pain-related stuff this might be a good place to ask for advice. I got my wisdom teeth out under a general on Monday, and sInce yesterday afternoon not even my oxycontin for breakthrough pain is tamping it down a whole lot. I took two 4 hours ago and now I'm awake with the pain again not sure what I can take right now.

is this something I should ride out or be going to the doctor about dry socket or upping my pain meds?

If I were you I'd go to the doctor. Getting your wisdom teeth out sucks enough without pain that prevents you from sleeping.

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Unless you had to have a serious surgical procedure to remove them, like they had to crack your jaw bone or something to get them out, it shouldn't be more than sore/uncomfortable even without lots of painkillers. I had to have one broken and pulled out in pieces and I was still back to being able to eat solid foods with only a low dose lortab the next day.

• Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    In the meantime, what are you doing to ice your head? When I had mine out, icing was pretty much the only thing that made my mouth stop hurting, and I couldn't sleep without the ice. (My mom didn't let me take my oxycontin because she thought it'd make me puke, so I had to make due with ibuprofen which didn't do too much.)

The round jell ice packs I got didn't really work all that well for me. I rotated four sets of two large ice packs to ice my head constantly for three and a half days, and rigged something up to keep my head iced over night. (Wrap the ice packs in paper towels if you do this- otherwise you could give yourself frost bite.)

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Wait, how old were you when this happened?

Mother or not, someone taking my pain pills like that after a procedure? No fucking way.

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Creagan wrote: »
    (My mom didn't let me take my oxycontin because she thought it'd make me puke, so I had to make due with ibuprofen which didn't do too much.)

What the frosted fuck?

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    when I had mine out recently they gave me like 5 percocets and a bunch of 800mg motrins.

It was really sore even after those percs ran out for like a week since I have acid reflux and can't take ibuprofen.

Ice helped as well as avoiding heavy chewing.

I don't think I've ever been given oxycotin for anything. Even when I had my gal bladder out most I got was percocet (besides the morphine in the recovery room). I'm actually kind of glad though because I enjoy pain meds a little too much for my own good.
    The Betman wrote: »
    Wait, how old were you when this happened?

Mother or not, someone taking my pain pills like that after a procedure? No fucking way.

Also yeah what the hell did she do sell them or toss them in the garbage? That's pretty weird.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I was nineteen or twenty. I got the teeth out over the summer when I was home from college. (Also, my mistake, it was Vicodin. Not the other thing. They gave my sister the other thing.)

Basically they gave me four sets of pills when I woke up: antibiotics, prescription-strength ibuprofen, Vicodin, and anti-nausea meds. My mom told me I should only take the antibiotics and ibuprofen, and moved the other meds somewhere else. Like the medicine cabinet, or something. She threw them out after my mouth had healed up.

The reason she gave was my brother's girlfriend at the time had taken the Vicodin, got violently ill from it, and developed an infection. It does not take much to make me puke, and when I get sick, I get really sick. One of the side affects of the anti-nausea meds was nausea/vomiting. She didn't think it was worth the risk.

And she was probably right. I took a prescription anti-nausea medicine once after I got food poisoning, and it caused one of the worst bouts of puking I've ever experienced in my life. Having that happen with stitches in my gums would have been awful.

(Short version: In most cases, having your mom take away your pain meds because she thinks they'll make you puke is nuts. In my case, it is a legitimate concern.)

Creagan on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Ah yeah throwing up after tooth extraction sounds awful.

Like infections or dry socket don't sound fun.

• Options
    Bé ChuilleBé Chuille Registered User regular
    cabsy wrote: »
    Unless you had to have a serious surgical procedure to remove them, like they had to crack your jaw bone or something to get them out, it shouldn't be more than sore/uncomfortable even without lots of painkillers. I had to have one broken and pulled out in pieces and I was still back to being able to eat solid foods with only a low dose lortab the next day.

Both of my bottom two were extremely difficult to get out, and I still can't open my mouth past a finger width.

And @Creagan I've been icing regularly. Unfortunately while it's great for the swelling around my jaw, it feels like the area around my stitches is swollen. The ice packs don't do a whole lot for that and I can't fit ice cubes in my mouth :(

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    I was nineteen or twenty. I got the teeth out over the summer when I was home from college. (Also, my mistake, it was Vicodin. Not the other thing. They gave my sister the other thing.)

Basically they gave me four sets of pills when I woke up: antibiotics, prescription-strength ibuprofen, Vicodin, and anti-nausea meds. My mom told me I should only take the antibiotics and ibuprofen, and moved the other meds somewhere else. Like the medicine cabinet, or something. She threw them out after my mouth had healed up.

The reason she gave was my brother's girlfriend at the time had taken the Vicodin, got violently ill from it, and developed an infection. It does not take much to make me puke, and when I get sick, I get really sick. One of the side affects of the anti-nausea meds was nausea/vomiting. She didn't think it was worth the risk.

And she was probably right. I took a prescription anti-nausea medicine once after I got food poisoning, and it caused one of the worst bouts of puking I've ever experienced in my life. Having that happen with stitches in my gums would have been awful.

all right...i'll forgive your mom

for now

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    See if you can get the cubes smashed up into chips that would fit, perhaps?

• Options
    How long has it been? I couldn't open my mouth past a finger width until the third day or so, I think.

Sorbet is a good cold food you could try. It doesn't leave you with the same sticky-mucusy feeling ice cream can after you eat it. And it's easy to eat. Another thing you could do is stick some ice in a plastic bag and smash it with a hammer until the pieces are small enough to put in your mouth.

• Options
    I had them out Monday, swelling is kind of at its peak right now. Hopefully it'll start to go down soon.

I've realised this morning that I have to go to the doctor for my back to work cert anyway so I may as well ask her to take a look while I'm there.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular

(Short version: In most cases, having your mom take away your pain meds because she thinks they'll make you puke is nuts. In my case, it is a legitimate concern.)

Wat

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    @Chincymcchilla were you the one having trouble getting acclimated to a cpap machine?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    @Chincymcchilla were you the one having trouble getting acclimated to a cpap machine?

Yes

I actually had to get deviated septum surgery so I haven't been using it.

I've finally healed up and now I've lost any sort of being used to it and completely can't use it again

I'm still trying but I am really frustrated with it right now.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options

Yes

I've finally healed up and now I've lost any sort of being used to it and completely can't use it again

Just the nose one, right?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options

Yes

I now have a nose pillow one, a nose cover one and a full face mask

I can't successfully sleep with any of them

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options

Yes

I now have a nose pillow one, a nose cover one and a full face mask

I can't successfully sleep with any of them

Hm. Is it having something pressed against your face, or does it hinder how you sleep? Can you pinpoint what exactly is uncomfortable about it?

With the full mask I use I like to bury my head and pretend I'm scuba diving. Do that and play Whale Songs and water sounds in the background.

I find that after about a week the bedwetting stops.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    for the nose pillows its because it feels like there's too much resistance breathing out against the air pressure

for the other two its the noise of the air venting out of the mask

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Have you tried playing white noise in the background?

• Options
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Have you tried playing white noise in the background?

Yeah, I've tried using a fan, that doesn't really help

I'm gonna keep trying but the mask just continually keeps reminding me of its existance through some minor irritant, which makes me think about it, which makes me unable to sleep.

• Options
    @Chincymcchilla hmmm, for the nose pillow one can you set the full pressure time to kick in later, so that you're already asleep by the time it's at full pressure?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    @Chincymcchilla hmmm, for the nose pillow one can you set the full pressure time to kick in later, so that you're already asleep by the time it's at full pressure?

I have attempted to do that with the "ramp" setting, which appears to do nothing. It gives me the exact same pressure with it enabled as it does with it disabled. I even asked my doc about it and she set it for me but yeah it doesn't appear to work. Just goes to -5.0 which is what it goes to without ramp set.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Because of my dad being a terrible drug addict I have always refused pain meds stronger than over the counter.

Don't want to risk it

• Options

I have attempted to do that with the "ramp" setting, which appears to do nothing. It gives me the exact same pressure with it enabled as it does with it disabled. I even asked my doc about it and she set it for me but yeah it doesn't appear to work. Just goes to -5.0 which is what it goes to without ramp set.

Have you tried talking to the folks at the medical supply place? Mine has a troubleshooting desk, they might be able to check to see if it's functioning correctly.

Have you tried wearing it while you weren't planning on sleeping? Just chilling in bed, watching TV, wearing the mask with the machine running ?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options

Have you tried talking to the folks at the medical supply place? Mine has a troubleshooting desk, they might be able to check to see if it's functioning correctly.

Have you tried wearing it while you weren't planning on sleeping? Just chilling in bed, watching TV, wearing the mask with the machine running ?

No, I will try bringing it with me next time I go in and asking about it.

And yeah, with the non-nose pillows I've worn it and am completely comfortable just having it on

The problem is just I totally cannot sleep with the noise

• Options

And yeah, with the non-nose pillows I've worn it and am completely comfortable just having it on

Ah, wife and I usually fall asleep with Netflix on.

Can you fall asleep with the TV on without the cpap, or do you need a noise free environment?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options

Can you fall asleep with the TV on without the cpap, or do you need a noise free environment?

I need noise free, as does ms chilla

White noise like a fan is fine but it doesn't help cover up the mask noise which I for whatever reason find much more difficult to sleep through

I realize this sounds like the tiniest, tiniest complaint, but yeah for whatever reason it just means I can't sleep

• Options

White noise like a fan is fine but it doesn't help cover up the mask noise which I for whatever reason find much more difficult to sleep through

I realize this sounds like the tiniest, tiniest complaint, but yeah for whatever reason it just means I can't sleep

There's no such thing as a tiny complaint if it means you aren't sleeping!

I'm assuming you need to be able to hear an alarm, or do you two get up at the same time

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options

I'm assuming you need to be able to hear an alarm, or do you two get up at the same time

I need to be able to hear an alarm, but ms chilla wakes up a few hours before me

Maybe I could wear some kind of noise cancelling thing and she could poke me to remove them when she gets up for her normal wakeup time

• Options

I need to be able to hear an alarm, but ms chilla wakes up a few hours before me

Maybe I could wear some kind of noise cancelling thing and she could poke me to remove them when she gets up for her normal wakeup time

Do you have the issue of being semi-conscious enough of an alarm near your head going off to grab it and turn it off, and then roll onto it so your body muffles the other alarms and you're late for work?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options

Do you have the issue of being semi-conscious enough of an alarm near your head going off to grab it and turn it off, and then roll onto it so your body muffles the other alarms and you're late for work?

cant say that I ever have, I set my phone on the nightstand
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Earplugs?

Yeah I'm starting to think this might be the best solution

• Options
    I can't set my phone on the nightstand or I will smother it in my sleep when the alarm goes off.

I'll grab a pair of earplugs from the line office and try them and see if they help muffle the noise from mine or if it just makes me hear it through my bones more.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    I got home with some earplugs and tried them out with the machine

Fell the fuck asleep in my clothes

Seems like they work

• Options
    Thanks for the suggestion DMR

• Options
    Have now got codeine, difene and oxynorm. Guess who's already woken up twice tonight? :biggrin:

Why is my body being a twaaaaaaat

• Options
    Earplugs was @Kamiro

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    @Chincymcchilla So how're the plugs working out?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Helping!

I've slept with it for like 2 hours the last two nights

not made it through a whole evening but I seem to be getting there :)