As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hey you, I saw that. Put it back! [Kids]

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Jaina hasn't had any purple crying either, thankfully. She's had a couple nights that she's just been inconsolable, but I rocked her back to sleep and after a half hour or so she was knocked right out.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    Captain's Log, day 6: The starship Bottle of Happy Baby Making has been warmed up and is ready to go. The destination is believed to be a rapidly moving black hole into which we will deliver our cargo. Our top researchers believe that this action will reduce the string signals eminating from the black hole itself.

Oh god flailing arms! Evasive action! Doing a barrel roll! Bottle is hit, but has taken no damage.

Recalculating the approach vector! Oh no - this was a trap! Bottle is sideswiped by a forearm, and some of the cargo has been detached.

Stay on target! Stay on target! Fire thrusters! Got to use the force to get Bottle to where it needs to go.

--- Transmission ends ---

Zzzzzzzz

Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    361fq79fzl6d.jpg

We are still struggling with breastfeeding. And mommy seems to have a mild spinal headache from the epidural which is making things even more difficult.

But we've made it to one week old today. So that's accomplishing something.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Also check the toes if the kid's wearing socks because apparently hair can wrap around a kid's toe and cut off circulation?!?!

That's terrifying!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    361fq79fzl6d.jpg

We are still struggling with breastfeeding. And mommy seems to have a mild spinal headache from the epidural which is making things even more difficult.

But we've made it to one week old today. So that's accomplishing something.

Hey, hang in there. Breastfeeding was super tough for my wife too, it's not easy and requires you, baby and boob to work in concert.

• MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Also check the toes if the kid's wearing socks because apparently hair can wrap around a kid's toe and cut off circulation?!?!

That's terrifying!

You have to check boys as well, because hair can wrap around...yep.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    a5ehren wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    My wife goes back to work in about a month, so we've been freezing up a backlog of milk for me to feed the kiddo while she's away. Got about 40 or so ounces stored up so far. Not bad! Should be able to get a nice backlog of milk prepped in time.

At last count, we have something like 2600 ounces stored at our house. We literally have an entire stand-alone freezer that is full of breastmilk.

Plus another 600+ ounces at her parents' house.

Does your wife have an udder? That seems like a ton of milk!

She is fortunate to not have any supply issues, and she was very fastidious about pumping regularly. She also pumped exclusively due to some early breastfeeding issues and pain, which meant that her body thought that the baby was really hungry. It also turns out that producing like 100 ounces of milk a day is a really strong weight loss plan.

My wife was never able to produce a lot. We had to supplement with my first son and then she got bad mastitis and dried up with the second one.

We'll see

That's terrifying!

Nooooooo!

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Aaah new babies, how adorable!

@lonelyahava, I hope it gets better for you soon. I found the sweet spot for me was around 6 weeks; those six weeks are hard to slog through, though!

Now I just have to contend with teeth and claw marks and oh, the pinching! My right boob especially is just dotted with broken veins and red marks from all the pinching.

Anya and Niko are like night and day in terms of everything except for how determined and stubborn they are, and how much they REALLY HATE SLEEP.

Niko is hitting every milestone a good 3-4 months earlier than Anya, from getting teeth to crawling to saying his first word. He is super affectionate and cuddly, which I missed with Anya (she didn't give kisses until she was well over 2 years old, and she still doesn't like hugs that last longer than 2 seconds). He gives a lot of very wet, open-mouthed kisses, and he knows that garners attention, now, so he'll kiss pretty much anything that has a face (including characters in picture books and all the stuffed toys). He is 10 months and he is still an absolute tank, which is good because a) Anya plays pretty rough and b) he is constantly headbutting everything. He sticks everything in his mouth, the upshot of which is that our house is pretty much freaking spotless a lot of the time, because if there's a hair/leaf/crumb/dustball he WILL find it. The other plus is that he eats everything and so mealtime (for him, not Anya) is a breeze, because he loves to feed himself, so I just cut up our food into small enough parts and that's the extent of my involvement. He actually polished off a full 8 oz steak the other day. :o

poogs10months.jpg

He's been growing blonder and his eyes are a definite blue, which is pretty cool because now we have the full spectrum of eye colors (blue, green, amber and brown) in our little family.

I am continually astonished by how quickly they grow, not so much physically (Anya's only gained 1 lb in the past year!), but in terms of development. I always thought you'd see the biggest changes in the first year, but the subsequent years have been equally impressive. In just the past couple of months Anya's learned to write her name, draw people without prompts, started to scale all of the climbing equipment (she was too nervous before, and I've noticed a huge growth in her arm strength) and tell jokes. Also, her memory puts mine to shame. She is enamored with pickles (she draws people with pickle-heads, named a toy Pickles, wants a toy pickle, etc.), BB-8 (and Star Wars in general, yessss), Hamilton and Totoro right now.

12669637_10156519585985385_5880382939907238113_n.jpg

That's terrifying!

Yeah, I still have to deal with that sometimes because of the wife's hair

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Mrs Moon suggested I clarify that she has long hair, not that I have a babydick

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    So, a friend told us that they had a stroller, that they would love to give it to us.... 6 months ago.

We politely inquired about it every so often, and were told, 'Yup, I have to get it from my parents next time I'm there.'

Eventually, I gave up, and today, I bought a stroller, set it up and used it a little. As we came home, what was placed on our front porch?

A stroller. Hopefully Walmart does returns on slightly used items.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    at some point does it get easier to deal with the screaming baby in the carseat? or do you always end up with the crushing desire to jump into the backseat and comfort them?

today was our first foray out into the real world with Little Miss Ellie. I didn't realize just how heart-breaking her little cries could be until I was in a situation that I couldn't reach her.

• bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    at some point does it get easier to deal with the screaming baby in the carseat? or do you always end up with the crushing desire to jump into the backseat and comfort them?

yes, but it takes time. randomly everything will be fine and baby will probably go to sleep. otherwise, singing helps a lot... if only to drown out the crying...

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I find turning up the music helps.

This helps in two ways:
    1) Babies are often soothed by pumping bass.
    2) It's really hard to hear the baby while you're recreating the Bohemian Rhapsody scene from Wayne's World at the top of your lungs.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    yeah I eventually plugged in my phone and put on some lullabies via Spotify. But man, listening to her wail and not be able to comfort her at all was tough.

• GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    We just didn't use a car until he was big enough to go in a forward facing seat and thus could tolerate car rides.

• JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Neither of my girls ever really hated the car seat. The little one is now a year, and I don't think she's cried once in a car seat. When she was smaller she'd just go to sleep, and now she just chills, plays with a toy and watches out the window.

I'm sure it'll get better in a hurry.

• ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular

today was our first foray out into the real world with Little Miss Ellie. I didn't realize just how heart-breaking her little cries could be until I was in a situation that I couldn't reach her.

I'm always going to have fond memories of the times I've said "Just be quiet and listen to Bolt Thrower" or something along those lines.

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular

I'm always going to have fond memories of the times I've said "Just be quiet and listen to Bolt Thrower" or something along those lines.

It's something I do at 2 1/2. If he's in a super bad mood and doesn't want to be in the car seat then it's time to turn up the front speakers and sing along to something because dude I need to get to work.

You have to get really good at remembering where swears are, though, so you can sing a louder "fudging" or "shoot"

Pretty much:
    https://youtu.be/iZyqwOOmETI

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    yeah I eventually plugged in my phone and put on some lullabies via Spotify. But man, listening to her wail and not be able to comfort her at all was tough.

Yeah. It's hard with a newborn because once they get going they usually won't stop until someone picks them up. What we try to do with our little girl is make sure she's fed and changed right before we go. Then we'll hold her till she falls asleep and then we'll put her in the car seat and go. If it's a short enough trip (< 30 minutes) we can usually count on her to stay asleep the whole way there. And once they get to where they can take a nook it gets easier.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    My daughter HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATES the car seat so much. She just screams and screams and screams when she's in it.

Unless we play Whip Nae Nae

aka the worst song in history

over

and over

and over

and over

and over

and over

and over

and over

and over

and over

but at least it keeps her quiet

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I'm super grateful right now that Anya requests, like, Hamilton in the car

Mini-Muzz, doesn't mind car rides, but she really hates when the vehicle stops moving, like for a red light. So driving down the highway, good. Driving through town...not good.

I'm not sure the excuse "Sorry officer, but my baby starts crying when we stop" will work when we get pulled over for running a red light.

Anyways, has it been three months? It has!
    66xqoconxord.jpg

Ellie is doing fantastic! Only 9 days old and already surpassing her birth weight. she was 2.51kgs at birth and is 2.71kgs today! Happy and healthy and everything looks great. Her cord came off a few days ago and she's being more awake every day.

And I am in such stereotypical mommy mode that i don't even know what to do with myself right now. Everything she does is amazing, every noise she makes adorable, every time she cries it's heartbreaking and i just want to take a few dozen photos of her every minute of every day and show her off to the world.

I don't know what happened to me, but this is weird.

On my end, my incision looks good, the staples got taken out today and everything is going well. I'm still sore and tender and having a tough time moving, but all good. The spinal headache from the epidural seems to have passed, finally. And I'm down to 131kg! I was 139kg when i got pregnant, so yay pregnancy.

Yay! That's awesome. Both of mine took 15 days to reach birth weight.

Keep an eye on that incision. Small chance that you'll end up like me and....

Spoiler'd for the squeamish
    My incision got infected, and....well, burst open with incredible amounts of pus. Had to spend another night at the hospital, and a month of nurse visits to pack and bandage the draining incision.

If you start feeling feverish and faint, get it checked out asap.

We had to turn Anya forward-facing at 3.5 yrs simply because both car seats did not fit rear facing in my car (and I have the most compact car seats on the market...). She could've remained rear-facing until at least 5 at the rate she's growing (or rather, not growing!).

She hated being in the car seat until 8-9 months old, but she's been pretty good since then. We really just kept car journeys to a minimum, but I appreciate how hard that is to do. I hope your babies get used to their car seats soon!

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    My daughter turns 16 weeks old tomorrow. She loves smiling at mommy and daddy, staring into mirrors, and latching onto mom for feedings all by herself. She hates being left on her back or sitting in one place for too long.

The biggest godsend for us was downloading the Sound Sleeper app by Parents2ParentsApps (on iOS/Android). That app is legit and has saved us from many sleepy screaming sessions. Literally works in under 10 seconds. Completely free and a must-own for new parents. Her favorite? Vacuum Cleaner, which is basically 20 minutes of static. Sucks for us, but works on her.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Keep an eye on that incision. Small chance that you'll end up like me and....

Spoiler'd for the squeamish
    My incision got infected, and....well, burst open with incredible amounts of pus. Had to spend another night at the hospital, and a month of nurse visits to pack and bandage the draining incision.

If you start feeling feverish and faint, get it checked out asap.

That happened to my wife. I had to clean and repack it twice a day for a month.

edited February 2016
    MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Okay, this is getting rediculous. Baby got fed, took a poop, and passed out around 4PM. It's 1:30, and she's still zzzzing soundly.

I think we'll have to be friends on Facebook to access that link.

But I still think that is awesome.

I think we'll have to be friends on Facebook to access that link.

But I still think that is awesome.

I think I fixed it.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    I can't see it either. :(

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

edited February 2016
    Ah screw it. If you wanna see a super cute baby video, shoot me a FB friend request. I always enjoy adding more PA folks to my inner circle. :)

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Ah screw it. If you wanna see a super cute baby video, shoot me a FB friend request. I always enjoy adding more PA folks to my inner circle. :)

I have now witnessed this baby video and I can confirm that it is indeed super cute.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Just upload your videos to YouTube. I put all my videos as Unlisted so weirdos can't find it, but I can share with all you people, and other family and friends

Like this
    https://youtu.be/8VAi_lQOeng

LxX6eco.jpg
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Hiccup laughs are funny! Wheeeee! :lol:

She slept 10 hours.... 10 blissfully quiet hours. You'd think 'Now is the time to catch some winks, Muzz' But I couldn't. Mr. Muzz was away, and I knew that the moment I passed out, she'd wake up. Or worse, she'd suffocate and I'd sleep through the whole thing. Not conducive to sleeping.

I am so jealous of anyone whose kids sleep 10 hours. Mallory has yet to sleep longer than 6 consecutive hours, and even that's a pretty rare thing.

LxX6eco.jpg
This discussion has been closed.