As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Project Cars] Feature Update 5.0 Out Now

DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
edited October 2015 in Games and Technology
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgkyJtUw4F8

RELEASE DATES: May 7th (EU/Steam), May 8th (UK), May 12th (US - Phyiscial Copies)

Project Cars Official Website

Project Cars on Steam
After four years of thorough testing and approval from both gamers and real racing pros, the most authentic, intense, beautiful and technically-advanced racing game ever made is now crossing the finishing line!

Featuring…

- The largest track roster of any recent racing game with 110+ unique locations
- A wide variety of motorsports including GT, Touring, Le Mans Prototypes, Karts, and modern Open Wheel and 80+ cars available at launch
- Dynamic weather, pit stops, and pit strategy creation
- Dynamic time of day and endurance races including the Le Mans 24H
- World-class graphics running at 60 fps with up to 45 drivers onscreen
- Next-gen physics running at 600 Hz and deep telemetry & tuning features
- Competitive multiplayer for up to 16 players and the ability to create public, private and friend-based lobbies with ‘Join In Progress’
- Asynchronous Time Trial with downloadable ghosts
- Regularly-scheduled community events
- Social connectivity with photo and replay modes powered by The Driver Network
- Support for 30+ wheels, community apps, and virtual reality via Oculus Rift and Project Morpheus
- Continual updates and further content after launch

Project CARS is therefore the player’s choice for realistic racing: built by the fans and built for the future ushering in a fresh new era of simulation-based racing so sit back, turn up the volume, and get ready for the next generation featuring music from world-renowned music producer Deadmau5.

Check out http://www.projectcarsgame.com for more info
Follow us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/projectcarsgame and Instagram instagram.com/projectcarsgame
Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/projectcarsgame
Check out Driver Network highlights taken by the community at http://www.flickr.com/projectcarsgame and youtube
Listen to the soundtrack on Spotify: http://www.spotify.com/user/projectcarsgame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tby49yV4pOk

Dirtyboy on

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Searched all over and didn't see a thread so put one up. Also, I am bad at racing.

Have a video of some recent gameplay by someone that is better at racing than me (he is bad, I am worse):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e41rsQbf2Ko

Dirtyboy on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    It looks like they've tried to simulate grip levels across the wet and "dry line"of the track, and the dude driving doesn't understand that at all. Hence the strong understeer in some turns when he's trying to drive in standing water...

That does look very pretty, and could be a great deal of fun with friends and a decent wheel setup.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    Searched all over and didn't see a thread so put one up. Also, I am bad at racing.

Have a video of some recent gameplay by someone that is better at racing than me (he is bad, I am worse):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e41rsQbf2Ko

As I watch this, all I can think of is being on racing sim forums in the days before GTR2 (made by Simbin, Slightly Mad's predecessor - Simbin -> Blimey! Games -> Slightly Mad), the better part of a decade ago now... when it was revealed the game would have rain conditions but no animated windshield wipers. So much raging.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    That is insane.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Dirtyboy on
  • Options
    What an $85k racing setup looks like in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrO50iRoWZs

• Options
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    does it play as good as it looks?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    It plays and runs great. It's a sim, though so be prepared for a rude awakening (and lots of spinouts) until you get the hang of things. I am just playing on Xbox controller, which is alright, but I really want to get a racing wheel.

• Options
    I played an older build with the Xbox 360 Wireless Speed Wheel... which, silly as it looks, actually works very well in a lot of games for people like me who don't want to wrestle with a full wheel-and-pedals setup taking up space all the time. With pCARS, though, it was like there was a small deadzone right in the middle of the wheel rotation that was always there, impossible to iron out no matter what settings I tried. Didn't make the game unplayable but it meant on long straightaways I would end up sort of doing a long, tight zig-zag as I kept having to correct to keep the car straight. Curious if the release version still has this issue... I assume it probably does, as I can understand the number of players using that particular weird wheel being too small for the devs to spend much time trying to code for it.

I REEEEALLLY don't want to spend money on something like a G27 and have to go to the trouble of setting it up and then putting it aside every time I drive, though. I've been looking at the Simraceway SRW-S1, another weird all-in-one wheel, but this one has a USB connection and is way fancier. I am perturbed by the number of reviews that say it falls apart though, and Steelseries is apparently no longer supporting it.

• Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I used this guide to setup my G27 for this game. Seems to work pretty well. With the default settings this game felt okayish right up until you lose control and then it was clowncars everywhere. Now the game feels like a more realistc Forza.

The cars in this game in general, and the road cars in particular you really cannot drive them like Gran Turismo / Forza. You really have to brake way earlier and more like you would in real life

Heres a video of me doing a lap of the Ring in a BMW 1M road car using Helmet Cam (but with the visible helmet turned off because I dont like the vision restrictions it has). Its with the default tuning as I havent even begun to mess with that stuff yet. Imagine the tuning screens from Forza except theres twice as much you can change. This is not a show off video I definately make some mistakes but I think it demonstrates the differences between the games. Theres corners that I'd be just dabing the breaks and then flooring it in Forza but in this I slow way down and then feather the throttle until I'm out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3Su2QcsBFM

Also of note is that this was recorded with Nvidia ShadowPlay. ShadowPlay has the advantage of not effecting your framerates like Fraps does but I've noticed that ShadowPlay videos I make from games with fast movement such as this or GTA V end up looking kind of I dont know how to put it, downsampled, in youtube. Even though its in 1080p it looks like its a 480p video turned into 1080p. I mention this because the game looks shaper in-game than it does on Youtube.

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Curbs in this game are e-vil. Spawned by Satan himself.

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Has anyone here attempted to change their wheel on a G25 or G27 to something larger? I've been tempted to do so for quite some time

steam_sig.png
  • Options
  • Options
    Would have been nice to actually make it past the first turn...

?.png

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    That'll buff right out

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    This game sure is pretty http://gfycat.com/RadiantNervousDikkops

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    So what is everyone playing this on? Is the Wii U and PC version still delayed? Is cross platform multi-player a thing?

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    oldmanken wrote: »
    So what is everyone playing this on? Is the Wii U and PC version still delayed? Is cross platform multi-player a thing?

This is only PC right now, no console versions exist yet. They're coming Soon (tm).

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    I think supposed to be out on PS4 today. Wish there was a demo because I'm afraid it's a little to sim for me and not willing to spend $60 for something that will just frustrate me. Maybe once I'm done getting all the stars in Driveclub I'll grab it.

• Options
    It's definitely pretty sim. It's pretty close to Forza (the numbered ones, not Horizon), with a touch more sim. It's not iRacing, but it's not Driveclub or NFS either.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    If you use the greenman gaming birthday voucher, HAPPY5-THBIRT-HDAY20, you can get this 20% off. Got it last night for $40 and I'm loving it so far. If anyone wants to race send me a message, but I'm usually only available before 2pm or after midnight. yay for working second shift

If we can get a get-together started on Friday or Saturdays I'd definitely attend, though.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    It's definitely pretty sim. It's pretty close to Forza (the numbered ones, not Horizon), with a touch more sim. It's not iRacing, but it's not Driveclub or NFS either.

So it's Gran Turismo-y-ish?

• Options
    I haven't played Gran Turismo since like GT2, so I have no frame of reference there. My driving has mostly been in Forza and F1 over the last couple of years.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    GnomeTank wrote: »

So it's Gran Turismo-y-ish?

Except that gran turismo is an arcade racer masquerading as a sim, and honestly Forza kind of is too. This game is a sim that can be adjusted to fit how you want to play. The damage modelling seems to be really good, and don't you dare break tire traction or you're not getting it back. While we joked in Forza about cold tires affecting handling, in this game the difference between cold tires and warm tires is like night and day.

Edit: on a scale from gran turismo to forza to Arsetto Corsa to rFactor to iRacing, I 'd rate this right around an rFactor

Veevee on
  • Options
    Eh, I dunno, I've heard many reviewers say Arsetto is more simmy than this, with a slightly more realistic physics model, and I can't disagree. I think this falls squarely between Forza and Arsetto Corsa, but certainly not rFactor or iRacing.

• Options
    I don't know why, but CARS just strikes me a as better than Corsa. Maybe it's just a better game, but not as simmy

But yeah, maybe not rFactor good, but it's been a long time since I played rFactor.

• Options
    The presentation in Assetto Corsa is severely lacking. The big thing is that the UI is unfriendly to navigate and unfriendly to the eyes, and it just generally lacks a layer of overall polish. It feels like it was made by a very small team.

That's not to take anything away from its core competencies as a simulation, of course. But even the unfinished several-months-old build of pCARS I played felt like a much more finished product than Corsa does right now. pCARS also has Corsa beat on car selection, and it wins track selection going away.

Off the cuff I'd say Corsa is probably the way you want to go if physics realism trumps everything else and you plan to play mainly only online with similarly dedicated people, but pCARS is a better all-round game.

• Options
    Ended up buying this because impulse control is not my thing. Hoping I don't regret it. Might have to look into getting a wheel at some point. Is there a generally accepted best steering wheel for the PS4?

• Options
    Veevee wrote: »
    I don't know why, but CARS just strikes me a as better than Corsa. Maybe it's just a better game, but not as simmy

But yeah, maybe not rFactor good, but it's been a long time since I played rFactor.

Oh no, Project CARS is a much better GAME than Arsetto, no question. Better visual, better "meta game" stuff...it's just that Aresetto uses a very slightly more realistic physics model. For almost everyone who visits this thread that will be completely meaningless. Project CARS is all the sim most people will ever need or want.

• Options
    Ended up buying this because impulse control is not my thing. Hoping I don't regret it. Might have to look into getting a wheel at some point. Is there a generally accepted best steering wheel for the PS4?

Not yet. Rumor has it the Logitech G27 may work on the PS4 for this (it's a PC and PS3 wheel), but no confirmation yet. Probably won't see a real set of PS4 wheels pop up until GT7.

• Options
    So, any other lame-o's out there want to get together this friday evening/night for some online racing go-karting?

• Options
    Just did the quick race that it lets you do while the game is still downloading, and I'm already very impressed. No racing game has ever felt so intense and sucked me in like this one did. It will take some messing around with sensitivity of the controls though, because the default settings feel way too twitchy.

• Options
    Had some fun racing 250cc go karts on the 12 mile California point-to-point race.

In related news, I really need to get a wheel.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Just did the quick race that it lets you do while the game is still downloading, and I'm already very impressed. No racing game has ever felt so intense and sucked me in like this one did. It will take some messing around with sensitivity of the controls though, because the default settings feel way too twitchy.

From my understanding this game plays alright on a pad until you get to the higher tier cars, and then a pad is just way too twitchy. I played on a friends wheel, and it spoiled me enough that I'm waiting on my own wheel before I buy in. Of course, being on PS4, I have no idea if you have any good wheel options :( I'm PC, so I have the Logitech G27 which is all the wheel I need.

e: Also, F the new console makers for breaking backwards compatibility on things like wheels and fight sticks. It's such an obvious grope at licensing money it's gross. I'm looking at Sony and MS here, both are guilty. At least Sony is letting developers put a compatibility driver in their games, I don't think MS is even doing that. The fact that I'm going to pay 239 bucks for a G27 for this, that I can't then turn around and use on my XBox One to play Forza without buying a shady adapter is maddening....and it's equally dumb that you may not be able to get a top quality wheel yet because no one is really putting out great kit on the PS4 yet.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    This game is fucking hard. I tried turning traction control off, and one little mistake and you are flying off the track and spinning all over the place. A rewind button would have been really nice, because restarting a race over and over again until you get every corner perfect every time could get old. And this is going 160 km/h, I can't imagine how it's possible with faster cars. Hopefully turning the traction control back on will make things a little better. I never had anywhere near this trouble with the Forza games with all assists off.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    My new favorite thing is time trials on California Highway. It is at times very frustrating because if you kiss the grass you have to restart since your lap is invalidated. But most of the time it is equally exhilarating and terrifying.

http://gfycat.com/InstructiveSplendidKillerwhale

*edit* for some reason the gif is running about 50% faster than the video but eh fuck it it looks cool

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png