As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Project Cars] Feature Update 5.0 Out Now

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    This game is fucking hard. I tried turning traction control off, and one little mistake and you are flying off the track and spinning all over the place. A rewind button would have been really nice, because restarting a race over and over again until you get every corner perfect every time could get old. And this is going 160 km/h, I can't imagine how it's possible with faster cars. Hopefully turning the traction control back on will make things a little better. I never had anywhere near this trouble with the Forza games with all assists off.

Heh, I've been playing career with time duration at 100%, starting with the touring Clio Cup. 14+ lap races will make you not screw up, and really accentuates how this game is all about the "Slow is Fast" mentality of racing. It also really really helps if you want to play online because you can't rely on a rewind function, so this will help you in the end. Once you get to know the track and the car and what you can and can't do you wont make those stupid mistakes again, like going too fast around a turn that puts you out of position for the next turn's braking zone.

Now I just need to get into the tuning options, which overwhelming doesn't even begin to describe.

• Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    So I felt a distinct lacking in the FFB in the game, I've seen some other people say the same thing.
    I've seen a lot of people posting their settings. But I had seen some people linking a file with different settings for all the cars in the game.
    I just can't for the life of me find it again.

Edit: Okay apparently that was a super old post. But does anyone else feel the base FFB settings feel very off? Im on a G25.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    This game is fucking hard. I tried turning traction control off, and one little mistake and you are flying off the track and spinning all over the place. A rewind button would have been really nice, because restarting a race over and over again until you get every corner perfect every time could get old. And this is going 160 km/h, I can't imagine how it's possible with faster cars. Hopefully turning the traction control back on will make things a little better. I never had anywhere near this trouble with the Forza games with all assists off.

Heh, I've been playing career with time duration at 100%, starting with the touring Clio Cup. 14+ lap races will make you not screw up, and really accentuates how this game is all about the "Slow is Fast" mentality of racing. It also really really helps if you want to play online because you can't rely on a rewind function, so this will help you in the end. Once you get to know the track and the car and what you can and can't do you wont make those stupid mistakes again, like going too fast around a turn that puts you out of position for the next turn's braking zone.

Now I just need to get into the tuning options, which overwhelming doesn't even begin to describe.

Ya, I turned the assists back on and got first in the qualifying I was attempting, which was encouraging. I will definitely stick with it, and I actually like that there is a steep learning curve that will take a long time to master. The other racing games I've played recently (Grid and Driveclub) pretty much made it impossible to win a race if you didn't fly through every corner as fast as you possibly could, so taking a "slow is fast" approach is definitely something that will take getting used to, and does make it feel a lot more realistic. No other racing game I've played has made me appreciate how hard it would be to drive a race car, and how calling it a sport is not superfluous at all.

• BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    So I felt a distinct lacking in the FFB in the game, I've seen some other people say the same thing.
    I've seen a lot of people posting their settings. But I had seen some people linking a file with different settings for all the cars in the game.

Edit: Okay apparently that was a super old post. But does anyone else feel the base FFB settings feel very off? Im on a G25.

I alraedy linked this but use this http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22122-G25-G27-SETUP-GUIDE it worked fucking wonders for my G27

steam_sig.png

Ya, I turned the assists back on and got first in the qualifying I was attempting, which was encouraging. I will definitely stick with it, and I actually like that there is a steep learning curve that will take a long time to master. The other racing games I've played recently (Grid and Driveclub) pretty much made it impossible to win a race if you didn't fly through every corner as fast as you possibly could, so taking a "slow is fast" approach is definitely something that will take getting used to, and does make it feel a lot more realistic. No other racing game I've played has made me appreciate how hard it would be to drive a race car, and how calling it a sport is not superfluous at all.

Yeah, it can be a hard concept to accept, but I find math makes it much easier to take. If you drive at 100% of your ability every lap and go .2 to .5 seconds a lap faster than driving at ~90%, it would take 10-15 laps to compensate for a single screw up. Yes you will be faster if you don't screw up, but we're all human so you will screw up

Basticle wrote: »

I alraedy linked this but use this http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22122-G25-G27-SETUP-GUIDE it worked fucking wonders for my G27
    Sorry mate, I skimmed through the thread and didn't see it.
    I actually found this one myself. I felt improvement in some areas but I'm still having a lot of issues I feel.

• Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015

Yeah, it can be a hard concept to accept, but I find math makes it much easier to take. If you drive at 100% of your ability every lap and go .2 to .5 seconds a lap faster than driving at ~90%, it would take 10-15 laps to compensate for a single screw up. Yes you will be faster if you don't screw up, but we're all human so you will screw up

Those racing games with a rewind mode generally need it, because braking at a sensible time going into a turn means getting rear-ended and sideswiped by the overly-aggressive AI drivers.

Haven't spent much time with Project Cars yet to know how the AI compares. Just long enough to realize I have some very bad habits left over from 'Turn 10 Bumpersport,' 'Holy Crap A New Polyphony Game,' and 'Hey Look A Rainbow...Crash!'

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

Confirmed: geth is the AI racer in every car game

So I did a little karting last night in 125cc and I managed to get the 35th time in Glencairn, 33rd time on Glencairn West, and the 3rd best time on Glencairn East. Ghosts are up and ready for download, or at least they should be, so let's see what you guys can do.

Are the leader boards cross compatible? If not, seems like a big dropped ball there. Hell, the games themselves could have been, but nope. Live and PSN had to get in the way with their stupid walled gardens.

• WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    as a tip, at least on consoles, you can adjust your controller settings to give a much better driving experience without the car being all twitchy and trying to jump out from under you every turn. I had tried making car tweaks such as brake balance and such and nothing really worked until I adjusted the actual controller sensitivity and such. Now I can at least turn a lap knowing that the screw ups where mine alone.

253J736.png
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    WolveSight wrote: »
    as a tip, at least on consoles, you can adjust your controller settings to give a much better driving experience without the car being all twitchy and trying to jump out from under you every turn. I had tried making car tweaks such as brake balance and such and nothing really worked until I adjusted the actual controller sensitivity and such. Now I can at least turn a lap knowing that the screw ups where mine alone.

That's good to know. Super twitchy controller driving was one of the reasons I was holding off until I got a G27.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited May 2015
    This game is still more or less uncontrollable for me. Every racer I've played (a good half a dozen over the last year or two) has worked flawlessly out of the box.
    This is really upsetting. I even made a new rig just for this game.

Everyone seems to be suggesting the 900 degree settings. But it makes my hands and the drivers hands go out of sync. And to get around a corner I need to have 3 arms to get the wheel around.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
    What are the advantages of driving with the assists turned off? And am I better to learn to drive with them off now, so I don't get too used to having them and need to relearn to drive once I want to turn them off?

You'll learn to drive properly which will help as you get into faster and faster cars.
    You'll lock up your brakes in a couple corners and then learn to enter a corner at its proper speed etc.
    Spin out a few times, so you'll learn better throttle control. You'll hate it for a bit, but it should only make the game deeper for you.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    This game is still more or less uncontrollable for me. Every racer I've played (a good half a dozen over the last year or two) has worked flawlessly out of the box.
    This is really upsetting. I even made a new rig just for this game.

Everyone seems to be suggesting the 900 degree settings. But it makes my hands and the drivers hands go out of sync. And to get around a corner I need to have 3 arms to get the wheel around.

You can turn off the visible driver arms, I think?

edited May 2015
    I will be hosting a PA lobby tonight around 7:30PM we can use the PA vent server.

*edit* or it can be later if people cant be online then

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I will be hosting a PA lobby tonight around 7:30PM we can use the PA vent server.

*edit* or it can be later if people cant be online then

Oh shit.

Goddammit.

I really want into this, but I do not have my racing setup ready, and probably won't until after I move in a couple months.

But then.....then, I will be ready.

I have the G27 already, but literally no where to set it up that doesn't move around on me. I plan to get a racing seat once I move into a bigger place.

lobby is up

steam_sig.png
    I did a lot of online racing over the weekend and for the most part it was a very enjoyable time with a vast majority being very clean and close racing. As long as you weren't at the back, at least, which makes qualifying well extra important.

I'd even go as far as saying turning damage on wouldn't be a suicide mission. It's tough and makes you drive more conservatively, but it's a ton of fun.

Quick tips in case anyone hasn't noticed, but you can't speed up the countdown inbetween sessions, but you can join in the middle of any session except for the race itself. Any adjustment you make for a tune before joining the session (so in the lobby) can be saved to All, the circuit the lobby is set to, or both. All is basically the base tune, while the circuit tune overrides the base for that circuit. Any adjustments made in session is saved as a circuit tune. Also, use practice or qualifying to see how much gas you use a lap, round up, times that by the lap count and set your race gas supply to that number. No need to carry all that extra weight. Also set qualifying supply to about 5 laps worth. Under the steering tuning there is an option to adjust the input ratio, if you're using a controller crank that baby all the way to the right and adjust, and if you're using a wheel I've heard a 1:1 ratio is best. @Mmmm... Cocks... this might be part of the problem you're having with the visuals being off from your movements.

If you have the PC version (and you really should have gotten it if you didn't) get this app NOW. Holy shit is it good, especially if you've got a second monitor or a second computer. Basically it takes the car's information (tires temp/grip/wear, throttle%, brake%, steering% (+/-), basically everying any lets you lay out that info in a way you want. I can even set it up in server mode and have another computer on the network or over the internet monitor my car and act as crew chief telling me how the car is acting and what I can do to make it better.

If anyone needs tuning help, install this as a server, let someone experienced here view your car's telemetry to see how you're driving it and we can tell you exactly what, when, and why something is going wrong. It's super duper cool.

Oh, and the ring at night in the fog is the best. Everyone needs to try it.

edited May 2015
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkSrgfQI9xk

http://gfycat.com/PhonyFearlessHoatzin
    Although it may look like my ace driver skills are on display in truth I just understeered off the concrete and didnt even see him until after I was past

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BotBllUO4zA&feature=youtu.be

Reasons the BMW M1 Procar is the best car in the game:
    • Fun to drive
    • Looks like Inspector Gadget's car
    • Pop-up headlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN5aWWm38u4

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    So @Basticle does this game meet your seal of approval then?

You could say that

steam_sig.png
    You don't use helmet cam? Love that view, especially after turning the helmet off. It's almost like I've got a TrackIR setup as it looks into the corner and at the vehicles around you.

Also, because this game uses steam for it's online structure on PC and it's all peer-to-peer the online is kinda region locked. If your steam download setting is set to US, you'll only see US servers. If it's set to UK, you'll see UK servers. Devs are working on a way around that, but for now if you go to look for random online lobbies and don't see any, quit out and change your region and look again. Right now, it seems UK-London is the go to location for most of the online base.

edited May 2015
    uh i always use helmet cam (though I have the visual helmet turned off because i dont like the constrained view). A couple of those videos used behind driver camera in replay mode since thats the kind of camera you'd see an actual broadcast.

You should all add me to your steam friends since I play with and sometimes host races nearly every night with people from the SA forums several of whom playes Forza with

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    As someone who owns (but rarely plays because... I can't really say why?) Assetto Corsa, should I get this?

edited May 2015
    As someone who was in your boat, yes, get this game
    You should all add me to your steam friends since I play with and sometimes host races nearly every night with people from the SA forums several of whom playes Forza with

You should stay up past midnight so I can join in

Veevee on
    i have a job. also i got old. so not usually

steam_sig.png
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I haven't had the chance to play in a few days but I've had a really good time just doing laps around Watkins Glen (basically my home track). I've found the MP4-12C to be very confidence inspiring and the Ginetta G40 Junior the epitome of slow car fast. With the handling model set to real with everything turned off I really like how the cars feel. It's still pretty hard and demands concentration and smooth inputs, and few games have left me feeling so exhilarated after spending a half hour doing lap after lap around a racetrack. I actually really like that there isn't a rewind function because it's made me become a better more consistent driver. I was rarely ever able to string together sets of clean laps in Forza, but in Project cars I'm getting to the point where I can do it regularly.

I haven't adjusted the wheel settings but so far at default settings in game, all in wheel settings at default, and Clubsport Pedals ABS set to 85% my Fanatec 911 Turbo S wheels feels pretty good. The force feedback isn't as good as the Forza games, but I do find that the force feedback under braking is excellent. I'm able to feel more minute movement and slip than I remember Forza ever having. Feeling the Mclaren rotate under hard braking into a corner just feels fantastic.

The California Highway is as close as I'm going to get here in Upstate NY to driving a car on a canyon/mountain road. I've been trying to drive it just over the marked speed limit, but it's really hard to keep the cars at that slow of a speed. I'll have to see if I can adjust the spring on my pedals so the accelerator has more resistance so it'll be easier to keep the cars at slower speeds for longer periods of time.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I got a $100 gift card for my 10 year anniversery at my job.

Someone talk me out of buying a horrifically expensive wheel for this game.

Or be the devil and tell me which one I should get.

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    A someone who invested in a very expensive Fanatec wheel, pedals, and stand it's some of the best money I've ever spent. They're products have only gotten better, and much more expensive, since I bought mine years ago. They're still the only company making a wheel that works with the PS4, XB1, and PC if you want one wheel for all three systems (and have $1000+ to spend on a setup). If you're only playing on PC and/or PS3/PS4 the Logitech G27 is a great wheel, and Fanatec's more modest wheels the 911 GT2, GT3, and Forza CSR wheels are all excellent. The G27 is the best value, the Fanatec is going to cost more but has more options to tailor your setup to your preferences. I think Fanatec's Clubsport pedals are worth the money, but they by themselves cost as much as the G27.

I have no experience nor have I ever seen any of Thurstmaster's wheels, but they also look to be a quality product. Depending on the model they'll slot somewhere in between the G27 and Fanatec stuff.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    I've been really enjoying racing some leaderboard ghosts in time trails.
    Anyone want to pick a car and track and get a little competition going? Something we could all compete in at our leisure?

I've been doing the Group A e30 M3 on Brands hatch (the longer of the two).
    I managed to get up to 12th or so on the board but I've dropped to 16th over the last few days it seems.

Thats actually one of my favorite cars in the game and I've been working my way through time trials on the point to point stages (California Highway, Nordschlief, Azure Coast) with it.

steam_sig.png
    I have a G27 and find it's an excellent wheel, but the H-Shifter is a bit glitchy. Once it a while it doesn't detect a gear change.

I will say that the pedals feel very natural and the whole thing is a lot sturdier than any other wheel I've used. The force feedback is very smooth as well as for the first time I had to corner one handed while shifting and being forced to drive like it was a real car made me realize that the force feedback behaves very closely to a real car.

Guys, I'm moving in late July or early August. After the move I will have room to finally set up my wheel. I will be all over this game then.

I've thought that before about the shifter, but it seems that if you turn on the automatic clutch it works flawlessly.
    Some games won't let you shift if you miss shift.

I've thought that before about the shifter, but it seems that if you turn on the automatic clutch it works flawlessly.
    Some games won't let you shift if you miss shift.

Ohhhhh.

I'm loving this game, but hating races where it starts raining halfway through. Just as I'm getting a good feel for the track and have built up a 10 second lead over second place it starts to rain, and soon the tiniest mistake spins me out and I'm lucky if I can hold second or third place. Or I drive very carefully and end up in second or third because I'm just not going fast enough. It's not so bad on the second race because of the mandatory pit stops, so you can change to rain tires, but the sprint races are really annoying.

I've never played a racing game that is so relaxing while still being the most challenging racer I've played. Going through practice and then qualifying gets me to where I really know the track and how to handle the car on it, so the actual races aren't me constantly starting over or being frustrated by no rewind option.

edited May 2015
    Just so you, and everyone else here, knows there is a bug in the AI that lets them ignore the physics conditions. It doesn't happen all the time, but the easiest to see this is when it starts to rain. You'll pit and they wont, but they'll still do faster times than you ever could. It's a known issue that is currently being worked on.

In other news, I'm finding multiplayer with random pubbies to not be too terrible. Even when damage is on full. And it's Bathurst. I've got a replay that I could turn into a video of me going from starting around last (~20) to finishing second just because I was cautious and not aggressive at all.

Or maybe the Donington Park GP race where I qualified first with a half second advantage, but then thought it only had 6 laps so I proceeded to put 18L of fuel in the car for the race as I was burning ~2.5L per lap. Turns out it was 8 laps so I've got to have a max average of 2.25L of fuel used per lap, and I proceeded to blow Mcleans on lap one putting me in last. I run the first 3 laps or so at full power to get back into 3rd then start to let up to conserve fuel. This lets me run smooth and consistent while the leaders are fighting each other and by the start of the second to last lap lap I've got an undamaged car and a 10 second lead but only 4.2L of fuel left. I go slow and steady around the course aiming for a 3 to 4 second slower lap time while the second place guy runs hard to catch up, and by the last lap I've got 2L of fuel left and a 5 second lead. I need to conserve even more gas than the last lap. I go slow, really slow, through the first sector while the other guy comes screaming down the hill and spins himself out going over the sector 1 timing line. By the end I finish in first with .3L left and a lead of 2 seconds.

This game is the best.

Veevee on
    Whenever I'm hosting a game I invite you and you never respond!

Also I dont know if anyone here was actually looking forward to the Wii U version

Ian Bell (head of SMS) posted this
    Ian Bell wrote:
    OK I'll come clean. At the moment we're running at about 23FPS on the WiiU.

We're awaiting/hoping for more of a hardware announcement at E3...

Ah.... So I take it you are hoping the NX is a new home console releasing kind of soon? I fear you may be disappointed as I'm pretty sure I read somewhere Nintendo aren't going to be talking hardware at E3 this year. Just out of interest what kind resolution are you hitting 23fps on? Take it that's 720p as you have said that's the target?

Ian Bell wrote:
    Yes.

Honestly, unless we really cut the looks back I think we're looking to Nintendo's next console. 720p yes.

We could reach a fairly solid 30FPS but it might take a hell of a lot of work. On the other hand, about halfway through us finishing, Nintendo might announce a new console (I have zero knowledge on this BTW but I've heard 'rumours'). Our work might just be the best thing that ever hit that new console in the driving sim genre.

So we're playing a waiting game at the moment and yes, economics do come in to it.

lol

steam_sig.png
    Whenever I'm hosting a game I invite you and you never respond!

Probably because I'm not home and it's the fiancee playing computer games.

I work Sunday-Thursday, 5pm-1am your time. Every week. Holidays like today included. If you're trying to invite me 2 hours before through one hour after those times I am not at the computer to accept or decline the invite.