As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Webcomics Thread: Still the Worst 1973

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    it's coming baaaccckkk

Well, the archives are.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Kilroy wrote: »
    Real Talk: we tell people all the time that they can like shit with flawed elements, so long as they understand that you should criticize those flaws. So it's really sad that, when someone does it, everyone flips out about their precious Star Trek being attacked. And this is in spite of the fucking creator of the comic coming out multiple times and saying he likes Star Trek.

If TV executives are responsible for Star Trek having its diversity watered down, then Rosenberg is attacking those executives. In fact, I bet Rosenberg is a big enough nerd to be well-versed in Star Trek's production history and all the bullshit that went on behind the scenes. To take this comic and see it as an attack on Saint Roddenberry means you're tilting at some huge windmills and making up subtext where it doesn't exist.

What you're doing right now is tepid "fair for its time" shit that we don't need. Star Trek hasn't been a progressive franchise in decades, and giving today's stuff a free pass because of the ground it broke fifty years ago doesn't get us anywhere.
    I didn't seen anyone flipping out at all

at least not in this thread
    Some people on Twitter are *very* upset.

Well, no change there then!

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    @RoyceSraphim Furry comics aren't the answer! Turn back, man!

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I think the very fact that such a completely banal and obvious Star Trek joke made the kind of people who defend racists mad was reason enough for him to make the comic.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    The problem with that comic is that it's making fun of a thing from forty years ago for not being progressive enough by today's standards. It is the definition of lazy, fish in a barrel work. You could take literally any fairly progressive work from over a generation ago and do the same thing. What's the point? Why not criticize something actually being produced right now, or at least in recent memory?

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I really miss Goats.

here ya go

goat-coat-hero1.jpg

WEEP NO MORE BOBKINS

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I really miss Goats.

wink

wink?

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I think the very fact that such a completely banal and obvious Star Trek joke made the kind of people who defend racists mad was reason enough for him to make the comic.

If his level of discourse is "What will make racists on twitter angry" then I guess so. It doesn't exactly seem like much of a goal to set for oneself though.

Unless you're trying to say that Star Trek was racist, and anyone who argues about context is defending that racism.

in which case [loud fart noise]

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    The problem with that comic is that it's making fun of a thing from forty years ago for not being progressive enough by today's standards. It is the definition of lazy, fish in a barrel work. You could take literally any fairly progressive work from over a generation ago and do the same thing. What's the point? Why not criticize something actually being produced right now, or at least in recent memory?

Like the new star trek movies? Which have almost the exact same casting?

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options

kiss them then

sexy-goat.jpg

• Options
    DO YOU REALLY THINK I WON'T WELL I HAVE NEWS FOR YOU

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

well, it could be a criticism of the recent reboot which did nothing at all to improve on what was progressive 40 years ago?

Hell, if anything the reboot films are worse, having whitewashed a Sikh character in the second

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »

well, it could be a criticism of the recent reboot which did nothing at all to improve on what was progressive 40 years ago?

Hell, if anything the reboot films are worse, having whitewashed a Sikh character in the second

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. Yikes.

• Options
    DO YOU REALLY THINK I WON'T WELL I HAVE NEWS FOR YOU

I have some single goat friends you may want to meet

well not goats satanists really

same difference

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. Yikes.
    bandersnatch candycrush

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

It could be, but I think you would need to make that more clear, like by referencing the whitewashing that was done.

• Options

Well, an evil sikh. Who was played by a Mexican. And whose entire sikh identity consisted of little more than a single passing line, as far as I remember.

Plus they replaced him with Benedict Cumberbatch.

Which is pretty diverse, as Belladona Cumberbund is an actual alien, posing as an Englishman!

• Options
    Kana wrote: »
    Which is pretty diverse, as Belladona Cumberbund is an actual alien, posing as an Englishman!
    while we wait to get new reaction buttons I vote we adopt a new "purpled for :hydra:" system

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    THESPOOKY wrote: »
    The only thing that really bugs me about that trek comic is how much the author seems to get off on the drama around it

everyone loves drama

how dare you
    I dont enjoy the drama i get from saying I dont like drama.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    No, you can't bring back liming nooooooo

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular

Kwoaru wrote: »
    Like the new star trek movies? Which have almost the exact same casting?
    You've managed to find a way to make an already stupid comic make even less sense.

So now the criticism is that it's not progressive enough because most of the cast is white, despite the fact that most of the casting decisions for the new movies were made to emulate the casting of the original series! That is not an improvement!

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Did somebody say IT HURTS!

2013-06-14-ithurts027.gif

2013-06-17-ithurts028.gif

2013-06-19-ithurts029.gif

2013-06-21-ithurts030.gif

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    If the target of the comic was the reboot then you'd think that the author would be pointing that out as his response to people defending the original series. But that's not his response, it's that hey guys I loved Star Trek too.

And you'd think he might've drawn a captain Kirk that looks more like the new guy instead of classic paunchy William Shatner if he was going after the reboot.

I mean, you guys are coming up with way better critiques than his comic, but let's not fool ourselves into thinking that's what the comic was actually saying the whole time.

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    2013-06-24-ithurts031.gif

2013-06-26-ithurts032.gif

2013-06-28-ithurts033.gif

2013-07-01-ithurts034.gif

• Options
    No archive posting, Clint.

• Options
    5zASNVl.jpg?1

• Options
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    who's clint

hawkguy

• Options
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I really miss Goats.

They are delicious.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    who's clint
    Some guy posting It Hurts!!

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Better that then another four pages of this awful argument

• Options
    But now an It Hurts!! argument will break out!

We can never be free

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    It Hurts! definitively proves atheism wrong.

• Options
    Better that then another four pages of this awful argument

it's just a discussion

it's only an argument if I'm wrong

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I literally have nothing else to post that isn't shit posting....um....
    2015-02-20-breaking-all-barriers-048.jpg
    Party makes a massive jump in political power and is suddenly trapped in a small village, what game or show have I seen this in?

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    let's talk about skat8r bois

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    so is it just me or should someone start making an SSSS skyrim mod like, yesterday

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Give me SSSS in a game that isnt boring

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
This discussion has been closed.