As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

League of Legends: Bardon Me, Do you have some dead Teemon?

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Orphane wrote: »
    Roz wrote: »

Another line of play - open it, gank a target, go back through it and set a trap for whomever comes through.

I'm really interested to see how long it lasts for. Come to think of it...what does leveling up this ability even do? Increase the duration of the portal? That seems actively bad.

I thought it was one-way? So it's only for going hard in the paint

Also I imagine leveling up the ability lowers cdr severely

Correct.

I'm also surprised by the complete lack of a tell considering how far he can move with it.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    Y'all are proud of yourselves for resisting release champions, but I (as a new player who was into jungling!) resisted 4.20 Warwick. That is self-control.

Bard's abilities seem cool and I love his aesthetics, but his little stub leggies freak me out. I expect him to scuttle around like a crab.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    This probably doesn't even need to be mentioned, but this is another push towards their stated goal of champions having specific strategic value in picking them. In this case, the idea is that he is supposed to be picked precisely because you want to have a bot that can hold the fort while the support and jungler run around trying to cause all sorts of shit.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Red Raevyn wrote: »
    Y'all are proud of yourselves for resisting release champions, but I (as a new player who was into jungling!) resisted 4.20 Warwick. That is self-control.

Bard's abilities seem cool and I love his aesthetics, but his little stub leggies freak me out. I expect him to scuttle around like a crab.

No, he takes big floating steps, kind of skips around.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I just can't wait for Bard to be the new hot shit jungler, and Riot to get all pissy.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Talith wrote: »
    This probably doesn't even need to be mentioned, but this is another push towards their stated goal of champions having specific strategic value in picking them. In this case, the idea is that he is supposed to be picked precisely because you want to have a bot that can hold the fort while the support and jungler run around trying to cause all sorts of shit.

With the right bot lane this could turn into more or less double jungle.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    the bard patch is the kiwikid patch

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    Red Raevyn wrote: »

No, he takes big floating steps, kind of skips around.

no he struts like a god who is going to fuck some people up

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Did you know we were manually correcting LCS stats in the post-game roundup every time?

Riot...

Also, that looks like a painful nerf to Janna and a crazy buff to Zilean? "The largest non-ultimate AoE stun in the game" is not something I would have expected to see on him, especially alongside a 99% slow.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    The J4 nerfs I don't think are going to really effect his play at all, he's still J4, still the Drunking Prince.

The Kalista nerf on the other hand...I think Kalista is going to fall off hard. She is so dependent on that wind up speed for her mobility. If you haven't played her, it might not be easy to see...but your life quite literally depends on how fast your attacks wind up.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    So the download finished today, and I finally got some game time in.

It's not as complicated as I thought it would be, and it's pretty fucking rad.

That said, I've only played against the AI on the lowest difficulty, though I've not had much issue in any of the matches. Just trying to make sure I have the basics down before moving up. I don't die much, but I'm not steamrollering the enemy like some of the other players on my team. Should I be playing more aggressively?

Also, the mac client is very obviously beta from my experience using it. My mac is well over the recommended requirements and my FPS is over 100 most of the time, but very occasionally it'll hick-up and freeze for maybe half a second. Long enough to screw me over if I'm in the middle of an engagement.

Another question, should I be heading back to base more frequently to use up my gold? Feels like a lot of the time it's stacking up substantially, and I'll have to take a while to spend it all when I use recall.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    So the download finished today, and I finally got some game time in.

It's not as complicated as I thought it would be, and it's pretty fucking rad.

That said, I've only played against the AI on the lowest difficulty, though I've not had much issue in any of the matches. Just trying to make sure I have the basics down before moving up. I don't die much, but I'm not steamrollering the enemy like some of the other players on my team. Should I be playing more aggressively?

Also, the mac client is very obviously beta from my experience using it. My mac is well over the recommended requirements and my FPS is over 100 most of the time, but very occasionally it'll hick-up and freeze for maybe half a second. Long enough to screw me over if I'm in the middle of an engagement.

Another question, should I be heading back to base more frequently to use up my gold? Feels like a lot of the time it's stacking up substantially, and I'll have to take a while to spend it all when I use recall.

Hey fellow newbie. Umm, yes, by all the info I am getting is that you want to go back to base frequently and buy the smaller component items of the major item you are building when you can, esp if you have enough money to do so and your lane is pushed ahead so you have time to leave and come back.

So when I build say a ravenous hydra, I buy the basic component to start, then some pots, then go back periodically to buy a reaper and a tiamat as I have enough money, then the full item as I cash up to it. I believe the theory is so that you don't have gold sitting useless, not doing anything for you. Even small items have an impact.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    Knowing when to back can be pretty tricky, but there's some things to think about:

1. If you can't stay in lane safely, go back. Missing some farm puts you behind, gifting your opponent a kill puts you even more behind.
    2. If your opponent backs, you might need to back as well so that their purchases don't let them overpower you. If you have time, kill minions as quickly as you can (called "shoving", as a tactic) to get your minions to die to their tower, denying them experience and gold. Knowing when you can shove out a lane before backing or when you should back immediately can be a complex decision.
    3. If you're sitting on a lot of gold, it might be time to think about backing. 1000-1200+ is probably a good sign you should go grab some more items, unless you're saving up for something more expensive like a BF Sword or Needlessly Large Rod.
    4. Mid-late game, backing becomes less about your lane opponent (because you're not laning against them anymore) and more about making sure you are topped off with items and health/mana when it's time to contest something on the map.

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Let's remove DFG then nerf Mordekaiser! Genius!

• Options
    Debonair Galio

galiofront.jpg

Secret Agent Xin

xinrecal.jpg

and Headhunter Akali skin listed.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Did you know we were manually correcting LCS stats in the post-game roundup every time?

Riot...

Also, that looks like a painful nerf to Janna and a crazy buff to Zilean? "The largest non-ultimate AoE stun in the game" is not something I would have expected to see on him, especially alongside a 99% slow.

Considering how castrated his passive is now, I'd expect more buffs.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    my swedish friend says bard reminds him of a scandanavian deity which is pretty cool

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Draygo wrote: »
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    Hey, so. This got buried in the Bard reveal news. My apologies for reposting.

Can someone give me a few tips for basic jungling?

I'm going to play a bunch of solo vs all bots games with Kha'Zix before going into games with teammates. I know I want Smite.
    I know there are basic routes, like Golem-Red-Wolves, recall- Blue etc.
    I know I need to be roaming bottom or top periodically to help gank and provide pressure.
    I know I need to be controlling important spawns like dragon.
    I know I need to ward. What areas though, ummm...

I know it won't be super effective until I'm at least 20 or so. I do still want to learn the basics of the role now, so it will be easier when I get my runes and masteries later.

I also don't understand itemization and enchants like Warrior.

Really super basic getting started.

generally you start at the bottom most big camp for your side. That's the frog guy if you start top or the golems if you start bottom. Smite early to gain the buff from the camp kill the camp then go right to red or blue (depending which side you are on).

Everything beyond that can get down into the type of champion you are. Some champions like ganking early and often, others like just farming as quickly as they can to get to 6, others like invading the enemy jungle to make the opposing jungle get behind/have a bad day. look up some guides for your specific champion.

Other generalities: Jungler should be keeping track of red/blue/dragon/baron/enemy red/enemy blue whenever possible. It is however the teams job to secure dragon, and its not always smart to go do it alone. It is the junglers responsibility to have smite ready to go for dragon/baron. So don't smite a camp or an enemy champion right before your team goes for one of those objectives.

Top is, and always is the least important lane in the game. It is the farthest from any early objectives, it is however the easiest lane to gank as often they wont see it coming, and brawler type champs dominate that lane which tend to be farther into the lane than ranged champions.

Mid is the hardest lane to gank if the opposing mid has his flash, they will often escape because of the short distance between the towers, but it offers a decent benefit, as the middle tower is more important than the outer towers, games are often won through the middle lane. if you notice the enemy mid use flash its usually worth an attempt to gank. Beware of burst mages that could kill both you and your mid at the same time.

Bot is the riskiest lane to gank as it is often only a 2 on 3. But any gains in the bot lane can result in dragon control and a won dragon. If you gank bot successfully even if you don't get a kill and your allies are healthy enough go secure the dragon objective.

Something else to add, in the early game, you can kill the river crabs for both free wards, and a bit of extra regen from the jungle item.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    CesareBCesareB Registered User regular

Considering how often this already happens in the LCS I expect Bard to be pick/ban week 1. I mean shit do you even want to imagine Bard/Jarvan (They'll call it Barvan but in my head it will be Jard) with professional levels of communication? Jarvan pops out of a wall (full health because of Bard's sustain) then Bard follows him for an easy stun? Deleted. Alternately they flash in under your tower, kill you, then casually stroll out through the wall. Bonus points if Bard is lvl 6 by then and just turns your tower off.

• Options
    Hmm...

BaJa?
    BarJar?
    BarIV?
    JaBa?

By the way his stun works on created terrain

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Hmm...

BaJa?
    BarJar?
    BarIV?
    JaBa?

Barvan.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Omg, mystical journeying out of the shadows with a J4 and stunning into the J4 ult is going to be so sexy.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    Omg, mystical journeying out of the shadows with a J4 and stunning into the J4 ult is going to be so sexy.

Can haz Kalista too?

• Options
    Hmm...

BaJa?
    BarJar?
    BarIV?
    JaBa?

Barvan.

I'm just gonna go with LeBlanc

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    Jar Jar Bard

• Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    I know you're virtually all unlocked camera players, so it won't mean a whit to you, but that floating locked camera is so huge for me I can't even put it into words. Its... I'm actively considering skipping Agent Carter so I have more time to try it out levels of huge.
    And they put DJ Sona out on sale right when I promised to start buying RP again? Hellz yeah. a lurker above is back on the rift.

Oh gods, all my mains suck now, and there's crabs, and wtf is a trinket.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Let's remove DFG then nerf Mordekaiser! Genius!
    Morde got buffed

I think Janna too.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Hargaad of OmnarHargaad of Omnar New Badges? Fucking BOSS!Registered User regular
    Varega wrote: »
    I have low expectations for Bard.
    His kit just seems so...bad. And gimmicky.
    His passive demands you to roam to collect his bells and whistles; if you don't, you're wasting him.
    The video Riot has on all of his abilities show that his slow/stun is pretty wide, but still requires close enemies (looks like the range is about 400).
    His portal will likely level up and lower cooldown and reduce mana cost. Other than that, I would suspect the portal length can't be terminated and is just there until it expires. I would also suspect that it's going to not do long-range fold-time-and-space tricks like hooks through the portal because coding those angles would be a nightmare to block off all alternate angles. (like shooting a Blitz hook at the back of a portal and then the hook still goes through the portal; even if not that, Blitz could land his grab from behind a portal, and as the person got pulled towards Blitz, would that person then go through the portal instead of to Blitz?)
    His health packs that he drops takes as long as a recall to manifest after casting. My only problem with their video is that they didn't show if it ever expired. If not, then drop that shit everywhere for days.
    His ult looks like a giant stun that also grants invulnerability. In their preview, Bard "saved" two of his low-health teammates by ulting them as the enemy Karthus was ulting next to them. Should ult enemy Karthus instead to cancel ult and let your teammates get away. The way Riot did it just lets Karthus shrug at not getting his ult on them and is now able to just walk up and throw skittles at them. e: 9 out of 10 times, you don't want to ult your own teammates.

The objective is making counterplay out of mobility. That's what they've done here. You can CHOOSE to use the E as an escape. However, if you're looking to escape, you're probably either waiting on CDs, or straight up losing the fight. Now you've enabled chase, and will be hunted down.

Again, the object of the stasis is that they want to show you what it does. Everyone knows that ulting karthus is the optimal play, but that wasn't a combat scenario. That's showing the champion's abilities off. Don't be dumb.

I'm not dumb, I just have an opinion.
    The following, however, is dumb.
    "Amumu is a diminutive, animated cadaver who wanders the world, trying to discover his true identity. He rose from an ancient Shuriman tomb bound in corpse wrappings with no knowledge of his past, consumed with an uncontrollable sadness."
    On a scale of 0 to 1 with 0 being no lore and 1 being "the least amount of effort possible to make a lore tie into something that won't get any more coverage", sure...they score a 1.

Star Wars (2 separate links)
    Yelling at butts will never NOT be funny. Thanks, Psy!
    Also, Abby is awesome. Keep up with TLH because it's the tits!

I love League of Legends, but seriously...screw you, Teemo.
  • Options
    Hargaad of OmnarHargaad of Omnar New Badges? Fucking BOSS!Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    The Karthus example was just to show him saving them from the damage, not trying to demonstrate the most effective use in that particular case. The champion spotlight is where you'll see the actual gameplay examples. They were just showing what his abilities do.

I understand it's an example, but the rarity of a situation where you'd want to ult your team is hilariously low. Add on the fact that it's an AoE and there's a wind-up that everybody sees...if you're trying to save your team in a team fight, there's nothing stopping the enemy team from also getting in it to preserve themselves so they can keep cleaning up afterwards.

• Options
    Hmm...

BaJa?
    BarJar?
    BarIV?
    JaBa?

Too close to
    Spaceballs_John_Candy_Barf.jpg
    Yup...that's what I'll call that combo.

• Options
    So junglers are usually a level or two behind the team, even if they are doing their job well?

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    So junglers are usually a level or two behind the team, even if they are doing their job well?

Yeah, unless the jungler is doing OBSCENELY well they'll probably sit between the solos and the duo in levels. Gold wise is up in the air, again unless they're doing OBSCENELY well I'd expect them to have less than everyone else but the support unless they've just been powerfarming or something and their lanes are getting destroyed.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Probably the easiest use for the ult is dropping it on the enemy turret during a dive.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    revive is gone nooooo

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Well that's because we have Soul Anchor.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    revive is gone nooooo

karthus nerf

• Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    Probably the easiest use for the ult is dropping it on the enemy turret during a dive.
    The enemy? Nah, drop it on your team. That way the turret and the enemy stay active and the enemy gets pummeled by the turret while ya'll stay safe as fuckeroos.

• Options
    JAEF wrote: »
    The enemy? Nah, drop it on your team. That way the turret and the enemy stay active and the enemy gets pummeled by the turret while ya'll stay safe as fuckeroos.

I'm talking about using it like an ohmwreker. I hope that hitting a large stationary target is going to be easier than dropping it on your team and not your enemies / your own turret.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    JAEF wrote: »

I'm talking about using it like an ohmwreker. I hope that hitting a large stationary target is going to be easier than dropping it on your team and not your enemies / your own turret.
    This separates the good bards from the great bards.

This discussion has been closed.