Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Fuck The NCAA]-Aiding The Homeless Ruled Improper Benefits Edition

1141516171820»

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    I think you're reading far too much in this. The bill needs to reconcile with the state senate bill. This one added that athlete can't sign endorsement deals with, say, a shoe company if the school already has a deal with a different one.

The balance of power in collegiate athletics will not swing that much more toward California, in 2023, than it already does.

I suspect there may be some short term recruiting gains for mid tier CA schools like Fresno, a bunch of the UC's, USD, and etc. And the biggest effect will probably show up in the sports that aren't so big like water polo, swimming, tennis, etc. But it feels like the big time college athletes are only in college as a stopping point to the pro's anyway, and they'll probably still be going to the big name schools for their respective sports.

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Any step against the NCAA no matter how small is important. Even if this just lets the player sign helmets to sell or get paid for autographs, it's an important step forward. Reading the NCAA's reaction is just so juicy. "Please postpone, so we can modernize our image and likeness rules for the 21st century", lol. They've have almost 20 years in the 21st century to modernize it.

I don't think the shoe thing is that big of a deal. Recruits will just start picking schools that have the deals they like. Or schools will get smart and start making deals with multiple companies.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
    Kayne Red RobeEddyDark_SideMan in the MistsGnome-InterruptusLoisLane
  • Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    edited September 11
    I'm definitely on board with things like allowing athletes to have agents and lawyers. I'm probably even fine with endorsement deals and the like. But pro sports have the draft, which forces equality between teams, because it takes several years before exceptional players can force their way to their preferred destination. College sports have nothing.

I guess it doesn't really change much though. As a mid tier team you're either trying to convince a good recruit that they will look better to pro recruits being the star of an ok team than just another player on a championship team, or you're convincing them the same logic applies to endorsement deals.

I'm just hoping if/when players start getting paid directly it comes with somekind of cap system instead of just letting rich teams buy up anyone and everyone that could possibly be good.

Jebus314 on
    "The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • MagellMagell Sphinx! Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Jebus314 wrote: »
    I'm definitely on board with things like allowing athletes to have agents and lawyers. I'm probably even fine with endorsement deals and the like. But pro sports have the draft, which forces equality between teams, because it takes several years before exceptional players can force their way to their preferred destination. College sports have nothing.

I guess it doesn't really change much though. As a mid tier team you're either trying to convince a good recruit that they will look better to pro recruits being the star of an ok team than just another player on a championship team, or you're convincing them the same logic applies to endorsement deals.

I'm just hoping if/when players start getting paid directly it comes with somekind of cap system instead of just letting rich teams buy up anyone and everyone that could possibly be good.

That already happens in college sports so I don't know why the players getting paid will change anything.

I know which two football teams are going to be in the finals and I'm pretty confident I can give the top ten for basketball in the wrong order and I only vaguely follow tge sports.

Kayne Red RobeTrajan45
  • I ZimbraI Zimbra Registered User regular
    Also 'insuring parity in college sports' feels like a wildly insufficient reason to restrict player earnings.

AngelHedgieMartini_PhilosopherKayne Red RobeFencingsaxVishNubMagellMoridin889ShadowenmrondeauTrajan45EddyMan in the MistsLord_AsmodeusJragghenMvrckLoisLaneshrykeBigJoeMJaysonFour
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Also, fuck the draft and restricted free agents in pro sports.

Such bullshit.

Magell
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »

Such bullshit.

This attitude will change in 5 years when then next generational center talent comes along and ohh what do you know the #1 pick.

How do you spell Justice?B D S Non-Violent Resistance to Israel Apartheid & Occupation.
  • Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »

Such bullshit.

Eh, this off topic for this thread; Pro Sports players get compensated and have a union. Things collage athlete's would love to have.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
    Gnome-InterruptusFencingsaxShadowenMoridin889
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Yeah, professional sports' quagmire of fuckupetry is its own thread.

torchlight-sig-80.jpg
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    First Take lets Tim Tebow rant about SB 206 and our "selfish culture":

I knew going to Florida, my dream school, where I wanted to go, the passion for it and if I could support my team, support my college, support my University, that's what it's all about."

"But now, we're changing it from 'Us' from 'We' from 'My University' from being an alumni where I care, which makes college football and college sports special, to then 'Okay it's not about us. It's not about we, it's just about me.'"

"And, yes, I know we live in a selfish culture where it's all about us but we're just adding and piling it onto that. Where it changes, what's special about college football. We turn it into the NFL, where who has the most money, that's where you go.

Fuck you so much, Timmy.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    TicaldfjamSmrtnikShadowenBigJoeMDark_SideGnome-InterruptusMartini_PhilosopherMan in the MistsJaysonFourLoisLane
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Wasn't Tebow like... an endorsement king? Didn't he market himself really aggressively? (albiet as a Christian goodboy but still)

wbBv3fj.png
    JragghenKayne Red RobeMagellPhoenix-DMoridin889ShadowenGnome-InterruptusFencingsaxMartini_PhilosopherMan in the MistsLoisLane
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    And the trickle begins, as two SC state legislators propose introducing a SB 206 style bill in their state:
    This week, California’s state legislature became the first one in the United States to pass a controversial proposal allowing college athletes to profit from their fame by earning endorsement money.

Two S.C. Democrats want South Carolina’s Legislature to become the second.

S.C. Sen. Marlon Kimpson, D-Charleston, and Rep. Justin Bamberg, D-Bamberg, told The State Thursday they plan to file a bill similar to California’s SB 206 proposal when the General Assembly reconvenes in January.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    JragghenRMS OceanicTrajan45shrykeBlackDragon480Dee KaeMoridin889ShadowenGnome-InterruptusFencingsaxMartini_PhilosopherRchanenMan in the MistsJaysonFourLoisLane
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    First Take lets Tim Tebow rant about SB 206 and our "selfish culture":

I knew going to Florida, my dream school, where I wanted to go, the passion for it and if I could support my team, support my college, support my University, that's what it's all about."

"But now, we're changing it from 'Us' from 'We' from 'My University' from being an alumni where I care, which makes college football and college sports special, to then 'Okay it's not about us. It's not about we, it's just about me.'"

"And, yes, I know we live in a selfish culture where it's all about us but we're just adding and piling it onto that. Where it changes, what's special about college football. We turn it into the NFL, where who has the most money, that's where you go.

Fuck you so much, Timmy.

This reads a lot like the whole "I'm passionate about games" thing the game industry has got going on, and feels just as exploitative.

Kayne Red RobeBlackDragon480TicaldfjamShadowenGnome-InterruptusFencingsaxMartini_PhilosopherMan in the MistsJaysonFourLoisLane
  • kaidkaid Registered User regular
    If they really want to go back to running college sports like the old collegiate sports I would be okay with not paying the players. But when you make a billion dollar business out of selling these kids work then you better damn well pay them for it.

Kayne Red RobePolaritieBlackDragon480Moridin889SmrtnikShadowenGnome-InterruptusFencingsaxMartini_PhilosopherMan in the MistsJaysonFourLoisLane
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Tebow's an asshole who was born rich and thinks he hit a triple.

Herbert Hoover got 40% of the vote in 1932. Friendly reminder.
    Warren 2020
    AngelHedgieBlackDragon480TicaldfjamDee KaeVishNubSmrtnikMvrckShadowenJragghenAegisLord_AsmodeusBigJoeMDark_SideCaptain InertiaDisruptedCapitalistknitdanGnome-InterruptusFencingsaxMartini_PhilosopherMan in the MistsJaysonFourLoisLaneTrajan45Magell
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Fuck You, Got Mine is strong with this one...

BlackDragon480Martini_PhilosopherJaysonFour
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular

Is that why he switched to baseball?

Also, why wasn’t ESPN sticking to sports there?

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »

Is that why he switched to baseball?

Also, why wasn’t ESPN sticking to sports there?

Because ESPN has too many partnerships with organisations that dislike athlete compensation.

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Ugh, what a dickhead Tebow is. That clip smacks of the same shit Taylor Swift conveniently does when she wants to pump album sales by adopting this holier than thou attitude about digital music sales.

BlackDragon480Martini_PhilosopherJaysonFourShadowen