As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fuck The NCAA]-Athletes Now Able To Make Money Like Rest Of Us Edition

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    So, collegiate women's softball has a tradition of injecting zaniness into affairs via props and gags, like going "fishing" during a rain delay.

Of course the NCAA wants to ban this:
    Unless you’re a die hard college softball enthusiast or love getting down into the double digits of ESPN networks, you may not have known women’s college softball players have the most fun of any players of any sport, perhaps ever. You think I’m joking. I’m not. The current climate in America's softball dugouts is like a modern day sporting renaissance. You thought the Monmouth men’s basketball team bench was clever? You need to watch more softball, friend. Inflatable props, unselfconscious cheers, conspiratorial choreography, and hijinks galore, all adds up to make your average college softball game part finely tuned athletic contest and part improv comedy skit. There’s no need to make softball great again, it’s already doing just fine. But that could all be about to change. The NCAA is reportedly about to shut the fun down ahead of the NCAA National Championship tournament that kicks off this weekend, “curtail[ing] usage of props and uniform alterations in dugouts,” according to the Advocate.

I say this not in response of the article, but of the NCAA action:

Who fucking cares?

God what pieces of shit.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Three more women sued Baylor today.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I doubt there is any way for this story to end well.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Colorado players lay it out bluntly with their nickname for the athletics building:
    Some black student athletes on the University of Colorado's Boulder campus call the Dal Ward Athletic Center "The Plantation" because their performance on the football field and on the basketball court helps pay for white athletes to play other sports, like golf and tennis.

Chancellor Phil DiStefano shared that story with CU's Board of Regents on Wednesday during a broad, big-picture discussion about diversity and inclusion.

The board is meeting at CU President Bruce Benson's ranch north of Silverthorne for a two-day retreat that is open to the public.

DiStefano said he heard that comment from a staff member in CU's athletic department during the spring semester.

After learning through a campus climate survey that some African-American students said they didn't feel valued and supported on the Boulder campus, the chancellor began meeting regularly with students and staff to try to better understand the problem.

"(The staff member) said that even though the black football players and men's basketball players are getting a free education and a free ride, everything they do pays for the young white female playing tennis or on the golf team or track and field," DiStefano said. "He said they talk about being part of 'The Plantation,' that their sweat and tears are really for other people, not for them."

As DiStefano shared the story, many CU regents and staffers appeared surprised and distressed.

He said he hasn't been able to stop thinking about that story since he heard it.

"It's one of the reasons our black athletes don't come back to campus," DiStefano said. "Whether we agree, disagree, somewhat agree, somewhat disagree, it's how they feel. To me, in all my years, it's the first time I'd heard that. And it just sticks with me, and I'm thinking, 'We gotta change something.'"

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Thanks Title IX

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    As DiStefano shared the story, many CU regents and staffers appeared surprised and distressed.

Kudos to Chancellor for actually talking to black students (I guess)?

Still betting on platitudinous response that serves to make regents and staffers less distressed moreso than ensuring that black student athletes receive justice.

Edit: Wait, never mind. Reading more closely, the Chancellor talked to a staff member who reported what black students were saying. So, uh... kudos to that staffer for having the balls to speak up and tell truth to power.

hippofant on
  • Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    Thanks Title IX

Don't blame Title IX for the NCAA's and university presidents' greed.

• Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    Thanks Title IX

Don't blame Title IX for the NCAA's and university presidents' greed.

Though I would not be surprised if that framing was intended by the Chancellor.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I'm not sure where to go with this, though. Because it's pretty much true. For any school with sports that are the primary focus, they're going to be the sorts of things that help drive funding for most other athletics.

• Options
    More money to kids, less to coaches and administrators. Problem solved!

• Options
    It should not be surprising to anyone that title ix mostly benefits middle class white women.

Without any sport remotely comparable to football as far as numeric participation for women, colleges have had to get creative with their offerings. Soccer, rugby, even crew. With the exception of soccer these are fringe sports that minorities don't really have access to. Even soccer is dominated by white women whose parents could afford the high cost of extracurricular training and competition.

• Options
    WTF, Big XII:
    Today, at the Big 12 media day, league commissioner Bob Bowlsby took it upon himself to say something awful.

Here is part of his statement (emphasis mine); you can read his full press conference transcript here.
    But let it suffice to say as it pertains to all of our institutions, we are very committed as a group of ten schools to eradicating sexual assault on our campuses. It almost goes without saying that when you combine alcohol and drugs and raging hormones and the experiences of 18- 22 years old, it’s probably unrealistic to think that these kinds of things are never going to happen. But we certainly want to make sure that from the center we do everything we can to ensure that they are minimized, if not eradicated.

...no, goose, rape does not just happen.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    In less fucked news, the NCAA is removing sites for hosting NCAA Championships from North Carolina. The affected:

D1 Women's Soccer Final Four
    D3 Men and Women's Soccer Championships
    D1 Women's Golf Regional
    D3 Men and Women's Golf Championships
    D1 Women's Lacrosse Championship
    D2 Baseball Championship

And the big one:

First and second round games, men's NCAA Basketball tournament.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    I can hear the wailing already.

• Options
    Oh no, Duke might actually have to travel out of state to play for once.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    In less fucked news, the NCAA is removing sites for hosting NCAA Championships from North Carolina. The affected:

D1 Women's Golf Regional
    D2 Baseball Championship

And the big one:

My first thought was,"why?" The ncaa is not exactly the vanguard of social progress. And I'd wager that their clientele is largely the sort of people who support that law.

Or maybe not. Who is the ncaas clientele?

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »

D1 Women's Golf Regional
    D2 Baseball Championship

And the big one:

My first thought was,"why?" The ncaa is not exactly the vanguard of social progress. And I'd wager that their clientele is largely the sort of people who support that law.

In the "Not being broken up as a massive violation of Anti-Trust Laws" sense it's the federal government who they would like to have the firm belief that the NCAA is super double plus good and makes the world a better place by existing.

Also sponsors/TV networks.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    VishNub wrote: »

D1 Women's Golf Regional
    D2 Baseball Championship

And the big one:

Sponsors and university heads. Who would prefer to not be associated with bigotry.

(See also: The NFL pulling the Super Bowl from AZ over their refusal to acknowledge MLK Day.)

• Options
    And the GOP response is, well...

(Losing March Madness could very well doom McCrory in November, so he has to be in brown pants mode now.)

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular

(Losing March Madness could very well doom McCrory in November, so he has to be in brown pants mode now.)

I've noticed that NCGOP responses to these things have become increasingly unhinged. Normally you'd continue to shield such goosery under the soothing words of "family values" or at least "religious freedom."

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    I mean, there are pretty tough decisions that get made and need to get made, regarding trans and intersex athletes. Bathrooms are not one of them. I do like the call out of Baylor rapes situation though, even if it is just a super transparent attempt to deflect attention.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    I mean, there are pretty tough decisions that get made and need to get made, regarding trans and intersex athletes. Bathrooms are not one of them. I do like the call out of Baylor rapes situation though, even if it is just a super transparent attempt to deflect attention.

Pretty much competent athletic organization already *has" made them.

In any case that's all irrelevant. This is about HB2.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »

I've noticed that NCGOP responses to these things have become increasingly unhinged. Normally you'd continue to shield such goosery under the soothing words of "family values" or at least "religious freedom."

NC GOP is an unstable alliance of low level grifters and hicks, with the business community trying desperately to keep their taxes low while pretending they have nothing to do with the rest of their allies. It makes for some amazing messaging and backstabbing whenever the national media lifts up the rock for a bit.

• Options
    The ACC is joining the NCAA and relocating neutral site tournaments from North Carolina. Notably, the football title game.

• Options
    Dunno if it's explicit symbolism because of the attack there, but the ACC has moved their conference title game to Orlando.

• Options
    Possibly, though Orlando was in consideration as far back as 2004.

It's nice to note that Charlotte had been under contract until 2019.

• Options
    And SCOTUS has denied cert on O'Bannon, leaving the Ninth's ruling in the case in place.

• Options
    9CA also ruled against paying the players some kind of money held in trust.

• Options
    9CA also ruled against paying the players some kind of money held in trust.

Yeah, that was a load of hot gooseshit. On the other hand, they also ruled that the NCAA did not have an antitrust exemption, so suits can proceed on those grounds.

• Options
    Baylor's Title IX coordinator quit, refused to sign a confidentiality agreement, and is appearing on CBS tomorrow morning where it sounds like she's going to firebomb the university.

• Options
    Baylor's Title IX coordinator quit, refused to sign a confidentiality agreement, and is appearing on CBS tomorrow morning where it sounds like she's going to firebomb the university.

Couldn't happen to a nicer place (especially after Starr's recent whining about how he and Briles were "done wrong" by the university.)

• Options
    ECU is banning further protests after members of their band kneeled during the anthem. Fuckers.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    ECU is banning further protests after members of their band kneeled during the anthem. Fuckers.

Is that even legal? I'm fairly certain any institution receiving federal funds is bound by the first.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Is that even legal? I'm fairly certain any institution receiving federal funds is bound by the first.

Speech is less protected in school settings, but it would be interesting to see the argument played out.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

I'm assuming that the marching band isn't actually playing the music for the anthem when this happens?

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options

So, she basically confirmed what everyone knew - Baylor leadership undermined Title IX enforcement to protect the school brand:
    In the case of Baylor, Crawford alleged she was purposefully held back by group of senior leaders she felt were more interested in protecting the school’s brand than protecting its students. Throughout the five-minute interview, Crawford declined to cite specific offices or names, but made clear that from her vantage point, the only major difference about Baylor post-Pepper Hamilton was the public’s knowledge of the situation.

“I think Baylor set me up to fail from the beginning in November of 2014 when I came [to the school],” she said. “And I continued to work very hard, and the harder I worked, the more resistance I received from senior leadership. I increased reports by 700 percent over my time and it became clear that was not something the university wanted. In July, I made it clear in writing I had concerns and that the university was violating Title IX and my environment got worse.”

Prior to Crawford’s hiring in 2014, Baylor allowed the head coordinator position to remain vacant three years after the Department of Education’s “Dear Colleague” letter went out; this after the school reported a total of zero sex crimes from 2008-11. Any college or university that receives federal funding, which Baylor does, is required to employ a Title IX coordinator.

• Options
    So, in recent Fuck The NCAA news, turns out that winning your appeal doesn't mean that you actually win:
    Why is Allonzo Trier not playing basketball? This question has been asked repeatedly by media members and basketball fans alike for the past three months, and all that time both Arizona and the NCAA remained silent. Late Wednesday night, an answer finally came.

ESPN’s Jeff Goodman reports that the 6-foot-5 guard is currently serving an NCAA-issued suspension for unknowingly taking a PED offered to him by a family member. He was given the substance after allegedly being involved in a car crash over the summer. Trier appealed the NCAA’s decision and won the appeal; the NCAA still won’t let him compete until the drug is completely out of his system. According to Goodman, the unnamed drug still appeared in his system during a test taken in the past two weeks.

Trier released the following statement to ESPN:
    “I have never knowingly taken a banned substance,” he said in the statement. “After finding out that I was given a banned substance by a well-intentioned, but misguided person not associated with the University after an injury, I presented this information to the NCAA. The NCAA agreed that I had no knowledge of receiving the substance and my eligibility was restored. Although I can practice and travel with the team, I am not allowed to resume playing in games until the substance completely leaves my body even at a trace amount. Unfortunately, I am unsure of when that time will be, but I hope it is soon.”

• Options
    Holy shit, the NCAA is actually not being terrible this time:

It's good to see them hold to their guns on HB2.

• Options
    Will they do the same in Texas?

• Options
    Michigan State is the center of your newest major scandal. It's caught up in the USA Gymnastics sexual assults scandal. Dr. Larry Nassar is at the center of the allegations there, and he was a Michigan State employee. He was fired in September. Yesterday Michigan State suspended their women's gymnastics coach due to allegations from her athletes that she ignored complaints dating back 20 years about Nassar. Today she "retired."

Meanwhile, three football players are suspended and have been kicked out of their dorm pending an investigation (both criminal and Title IX) into a sexual assault allegation. A football staff member was also suspended.

An outside law firm has been hired to investigate athletic staff's compliance with sexual assault policies, which had been connected with the football thing until the last two days, now it might be more about the gymnastics part. Not sure.

Also, their marching band director was fired for sexual harassment.