As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fuck The NCAA]-Athletes Now Able To Make Money Like Rest Of Us Edition

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Yeah I want to say at least 1 victim went to Waco police and got nowhere

I might also be confusing this with Tallahassee police or Columbus police or….

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    TCU coach Gary Patterson says that five SEC schools are targeting one of his players.
    Patterson points to what other schools are doing to snag recruits, like in-state counterparts Texas and Texas A&M paying players for interviews and doing it through team websites.

Patterson goes on to say that schools are targeting one of his freshman that's currently on the roster. Patterson did not name the player.

"There’s five SEC schools calling him and telling him, ‘Here’s what we’ll give you if you come here and not stay at TCU,’” Patterson said to the Ft. Worth Star-Telegram. “At the end of the day, that’s just real life. If we don’t do anything about it, within a year we lose him. The rules have changed. There is no wrong anymore.”

(Via USA Today)

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    TCU coach Gary Patterson says that five SEC schools are targeting one of his players.
    Patterson points to what other schools are doing to snag recruits, like in-state counterparts Texas and Texas A&M paying players for interviews and doing it through team websites.

Patterson goes on to say that schools are targeting one of his freshman that's currently on the roster. Patterson did not name the player.

"There’s five SEC schools calling him and telling him, ‘Here’s what we’ll give you if you come here and not stay at TCU,’” Patterson said to the Ft. Worth Star-Telegram. “At the end of the day, that’s just real life. If we don’t do anything about it, within a year we lose him. The rules have changed. There is no wrong anymore.”

(Via USA Today)

I think he misspoke there. It should be, "There's no chattel servitude anymore".

Motherfucker can't manipulate or hold his players to their being too poor not to play for him anymore. And he can't stand it. Probably shouldn't have been a coach in the first place.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

(Via USA Today)

I think he misspoke there. It should be, "There's no chattel servitude anymore".

Motherfucker can't manipulate or hold his players to their being too poor not to play for him anymore. And he can't stand it. Probably shouldn't have been a coach in the first place.

This would be a major violation in pro sports for what it's worth. Like the offending team would lose draft picks and stuff.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

(Via USA Today)

This would be a major violation in pro sports for what it's worth. Like the offending team would lose draft picks and stuff.

If they want prosports rules, they can start with prosports compensation.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

(Via USA Today)

Obviously. But tampering is fucked up in all sports, this is a dumb area to bring it back to absolute power argument, because it's not. It's actually fucked for competitive balance.

There needs to be a collective bargaining agreement between the players and the schools instead of this ad hoc nonsense.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

(Via USA Today)

And unions.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

(Via USA Today)

Also from the same article:
    TCU head coach Gary Patterson says he wants the business leaders around the Fort Worth, Texas area and the school's supporters to get on board with the new name, image and likeness rule that has taken over college sports.

[...]

TCU has partnered with Opendorse, which helps educate athletes through the murky waters of NIL. TCU also is partnering with the university's business school.

"We planted the trees. Now we have to water ‘em,” Patterson said. “I hear, ‘Well, I don’t want to get dirty. It feels dirty. I don’t know the rules.’ Let me just say, you guys know me, I’m just going to tell the truth — the bottom line to it is I can lose 25-30 guys on scholarships by January.

He accepts NIL. He is pointing out that rich and/or powerful schools are using NIL as a way to take players from smaller schools. And that he may actually see some players take the bait and leave.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Big schools sniping players with cash was never NOT going to be a thing, especially since the NCAA basically washed their hands of any responsibility for this bold new world. They could have worked to put in guards against this kind of thing, but I think a cash grab free for all is exactly what they want at the moment, because it supports their ridiculous amateur, student athlete philosophy. There's no doubt there's going to be some growing pains for awhile, but I think in the end the players are still better off.

• Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular

(Via USA Today)

TCU head coach Gary Patterson says he wants the business leaders around the Fort Worth, Texas area and the school's supporters to get on board with the new name, image and likeness rule that has taken over college sports.

[...]

TCU has partnered with Opendorse, which helps educate athletes through the murky waters of NIL. TCU also is partnering with the university's business school.

"We planted the trees. Now we have to water ‘em,” Patterson said. “I hear, ‘Well, I don’t want to get dirty. It feels dirty. I don’t know the rules.’ Let me just say, you guys know me, I’m just going to tell the truth — the bottom line to it is I can lose 25-30 guys on scholarships by January.

He accepts NIL. He is pointing out that rich and/or powerful schools are using NIL as a way to take players from smaller schools. And that he may actually see some players take the bait and leave.

And? If we're going to tie college sports to... well colleges, I don't see why a kid shouldn't have the opportunity to improve his circumstances if he shows hes got the value.

• Options
    Hydropolo wrote: »

(Via USA Today)

[...]

And? If we're going to tie college sports to... well colleges, I don't see why a kid shouldn't have the opportunity to improve his circumstances if he shows hes got the value.

Because in the end it kills the money for everyone if the sport is boring. Which it is right now.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

(Via USA Today)

Obviously. But tampering is fucked up in all sports, this is a dumb area to bring it back to absolute power argument, because it's not. It's actually fucked for competitive balance.

There needs to be a collective bargaining agreement between the players and the schools instead of this ad hoc nonsense.

It's still a false equivalence because professionals are under contract with their employers and students aren't. Also, the football conferences are basically leagues now so this is more like an NBA team contacting a player in Europe which is entirely normal.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options

(Via USA Today)

[...]

Because in the end it kills the money for everyone if the sport is boring. Which it is right now.

And also, nobody is arguing that players should be forced to remain locked in to a school.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    I mean, I think the coach is?

• Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    If the problem is also the sport is boring, maybe separate it from the schools and put together a proper minor league? The wrong answer is absolutely "Abuse the students to make money", which to be clear, is what the coaches/schools/etc are advocating, not anyone here.

• Options
    Where does Gary Patterson claim any such thing?

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    If the problem is also the sport is boring, maybe separate it from the schools and put together a proper minor league? The wrong answer is absolutely "Abuse the students to make money", which to be clear, is what the coaches/schools/etc are advocating, not anyone here.

He's advocating for his boosters and sponsors to pay his athletes more.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I mean, it seems like if you want college sports to be a thing and you want it to be competitive, you are gonna need to do what other sports do and set up some kind of salary cap system and what not. Basically, you are gonna need to treat this like the business it is.

• Options
    To summarize:

Old system: paying players illegal, they have no NIL rights, they're fucked. But the enforcement arm of the NCAA is a joke, so lots of schools paid players under the table. This is bad for basically everyone except the coaches who are getting comically rich and the donors who put too much of their ego into how their school does at football. Except in the long run, if only five teams have any chance of actually winning because they pay the best (Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Georgia, Oklahoma; and really only the first three of those), then it's bad because people stop paying attention and the money goes away. Which is what is currently happening, ratings are in decline.

Current system: same, but NIL rights, which brings some of the secret payments that used to be happening secretly into the open. Marginally better for players, but still comically exploitative and ultimately going to destroy itself.

Patterson is angry about the willingness to pay more locking him out of the ability to compete. Which is fair, though he's also a scumbag because he works in college football and basically everyone involved is.

Also note those rich schools don't give a fuck about the players, they just want to win. And they'll cut their asses if they're not good enough to make the team better.

The system is fundamentally broken until the players can collectively bargain to get their economic worth. And it hasn't quite come to the point where they have taken a labor action against their unfair working conditions. Though Northwestern football came close a few years ago. And supposedly Michigan basketball chickened out at the last second from just not coming out at the start of the national title game. But they were in serious discussions to do so among themselves.

• Options
    edited September 2021

The part where he said "the rules have changed. There is no wrong anymore" means that he thinks trying to recruit his players is wrong and, under the old rules, was not allowed, which is what ever the opposite of 'wrong' is

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    I think this might not be as big a deal as Patterson’s worried about cause those SEC schools already could have offered those players and if they DID offer this guy and he still picked TCU and would be swayed now by money that wasn’t available originally during his crootment that’s a unique point-in-time situation

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    And let's be clear the schools are injuring and slowly killing these kids. In any other profession we would pay them for the assumed risk.

• Options
    Like NIL isn’t disrupting the talent distribution…and the transfer portal’s been a thing for a few years now

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Burtletoy wrote: »

The part where he said "the rules have changed. There is no wrong anymore" means that he thinks trying to recruit his players is wrong and, under the old rules, was not allowed, which is what ever the opposite of 'wrong' is

Basically there an informal agreement that once a kid was enrolled at a school you stopped recruiting him. Because there wasn't much in it for you. His problem (and this part is bullshit from him) is with the NCAA's change in the transfer rules. Before you had to sit out a year before you could play at a new school. They are now adding the monetary incentives from the NIL changes to this post-enrolling recruiting. Which is where that quote comes from.

What he is not saying is that he doesn't want kids to be paid. He's frustrated that his boosters aren't paying as well as Alabama's, so they're struggling to maintain guys. Basically the constant lament of the small market pro franchise, which is what TCU is.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options

And the part where he wants DFW businesses to step up in ways to try and keep the players or that he outright says he expects to lose several of them in January makes never no mind to you? You just outright assume his intent is to 'abuse' the players and keep them locked in to TCU at his pleasure?

• Options
    Yes

• Options
    edited September 2021

Basically there an informal agreement that once a kid was enrolled at a school you stopped recruiting him. Because there wasn't much in it for you. His problem (and this part is bullshit from him) is with the NCAA's change in the transfer rules. Before you had to sit out a year before you could play at a new school. They are now adding the monetary incentives from the NIL changes to this post-enrolling recruiting. Which is where that quote comes from.

What he is not saying is that he doesn't want kids to be paid. He's frustrated that his boosters aren't paying as well as Alabama's, so they're struggling to maintain guys. Basically the constant lament of the small market pro franchise, which is what TCU is.

See here’s his problem

He should be offering money to Bama’s 4* 3rd stringers to start for him

Plus he’s in Dallas at a well-off school and Alabama is in Tuscaloosa Alabama (this isn’t a dig at Tuscaloosa, just pointing out “markets”)

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    Maybe Gary Patterson, the 9th highest paid NCAA football coach can used some of his 6.1 million dollar per year salary to sponsor the name image and likeness of his players instead of complaining that other schools are offering to do it?

Idk

• Options

See here’s his problem

Plus he’s in Dallas at a well-off school and Alabama is in Tuscaloosa Alabama (this isn’t a dog at Tuscaloosa, just pointing out “markets”)

You and I both know "markets" in college football are not necessarily about the size of the town. SEC is the biggest market and has the biggest TV deals. And public schools like Alabama (enrollment 31k) just have bigger alumni bases to work with than TCU (10k enrollment).

• Options

See here’s his problem

Plus he’s in Dallas at a well-off school and Alabama is in Tuscaloosa Alabama (this isn’t a dog at Tuscaloosa, just pointing out “markets”)

You and I both know "markets" in college football are not necessarily about the size of the town. SEC is the biggest market and has the biggest TV deals. And public schools like Alabama (enrollment 31k) just have bigger alumni bases to work with than TCU (10k enrollment).

Well yeah, Alabama is a big market because they have a 90% BCR and win the natty 3 of every 5 years with or without NIL or the transfer portal and what Patterson is describing has zero relative impact on his team’s talent or performance vs Bama’s, except in the case I laid out where the lower tier schools start figuring out how to get the talented-but-not-talented enough dudes on the Bama/OSU/Georgia/A&M rosters to make more money getting actual playing time

Maybe Patterson’s making this particular scenario up to get boosters and sponsors to start paying up to do just this…

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Maybe Gary Patterson, the 9th highest paid NCAA football coach can used some of his 6.1 million dollar per year salary to sponsor the name image and likeness of his players instead of complaining that other schools are offering to do it?

Idk

I'm pretty sure he actually can't, under the current NCAA regs.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options

Idk

Yes. You don't know, goose.

• Options
    When Gary Patterson contract runs out, do you think if a different school offered Gary Patterson 8 million dollars per year that that should be against the rules, or does that only apply to players?

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Is there anything stopping teams like Alabama from having a couple dozen "non-scholarship" players on the roster that just so happen to have their tuition and such paid for by boosters?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Is there anything stopping teams like Alabama from having a couple dozen "non-scholarship" players on the roster that just so happen to have their tuition and such paid for by boosters?

Probably but I’m not sure why they’d need to

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular

You don't think Nick Saban would love to have even more depth on his team with the added bonus of denying talent to competitors?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

You don't think Nick Saban would love to have even more depth on his team with the added bonus of denying talent to competitors?

Except that in the NIL era, the talent Saban wants can pull in endorsements that allow them to pay retail. In addition, going to ride the pines in Alabama isn't attractive, because that doesn't get you to the pros.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Well yeah we know he would do this if he felt he needed to based on his past of over-offering scholarships and pulling those from upperclassmen that didn’t realize their potential to give to the hot new recruit

But that was like 10 years ago and it turns out he was able to recruit even better anyway without doing that. Additionally, half of the recruits he offers accept so his program spends far less time recruiting than everyone else now. So again, while there’s probably a rule preventing it anyway, I’m not sure 2021 Saban gives a shit about the greatly diminished returns for doing this vs where the program is anyway (every non-kicker/punter player is a blue chip recruit)

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Monwyn wrote: »

Idk

He can't ask for a lower salary in exchange for more money for the school (or booster or whoever) to pay players?

• Options
    Monwyn wrote: »

Idk

He can't ask for a lower salary in exchange for more money for the school (or booster or whoever) to pay players?

That's not how it works, no.

Booster money only goes to coaches when the school buys them out, basically.