As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fuck The NCAA]-Athletes Now Able To Make Money Like Rest Of Us Edition

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I find the idea that it wasn't already happening purely laughable

• Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    Some of it was, but the players bore almost all the risk if a school wasn't caught just being egregious about it.

Fundamentally, the issue is that high level college sports (ESPECIALLY football) are jobs. There are two major differences between them and standard college jobs.

1) If I want to go work for a third party company instead of working for the college's IT, no one cares (though it can possibly impact my student aid, depends)
    2) Most college positions aren't big money makers.

College football needs to be severed from colleges. You can make it a third party contracted program, but it really needs to be severed. I might be convinced some other sports like Basketball/etc that are feeders to major professional sports and generate lots of revenue for the schools.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Hydropolo wrote: »
    Some of it was, but the players bore almost all the risk if a school wasn't caught just being egregious about it.

Fundamentally, the issue is that high level college sports (ESPECIALLY football) are jobs. There are two major differences between them and standard college jobs.

1) If I want to go work for a third party company instead of working for the college's IT, no one cares (though it can possibly impact my student aid, depends)
    2) Most college positions aren't big money makers.

College football needs to be severed from colleges. You can make it a third party contracted program, but it really needs to be severed. I might be convinced some other sports like Basketball/etc that are feeders to major professional sports and generate lots of revenue for the schools.

It is worth remembering that the term "student-athlete" (which I refuse to use) was created specifically to deny athletes workman's compensation.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    The general counsel of the NLRB has publicly stated that college athletes are employees of the school:
    The general counsel for the National Labor Relations Board now believes that all college athletes are employees of their schools.

NLRB general counsel Jennifer Abruzzo issued a memo Wednesday outlining why she believes that college players are employees of their schools and afforded protections under the National Labor Relations Act.

Abruzzo’s memo cites recent developments in the college sports world like the ability for players to make money off their name and image rights, the recent NCAA v. Alston Supreme Court decision and the net worth of the total compensation that players get from their schools in the form of scholarships and stipends.

Yet another nail in the NCAA's coffin.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    In potentially good news, a task force on equity is recommending the NCAA drop the standardized test score requirement for eligibility. Noting that member institutions (the UC system most prominently) are moving away from requiring them.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    The NCAA has suspended Kofi Cockburn (coh-burn, you 13 year olds), Illinois' star center, for the first three games of the basketball season for jumping the gun on NIL rights by a week or two. Signed and sold some apparel in June, only became legal in July. Come the fuck on.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    The NCAA has suspended Kofi Cockburn (coh-burn, you 13 year olds), Illinois' star center, for the first three games of the basketball season for jumping the gun on NIL rights by a week or two. Signed and sold some apparel in June, only became legal in July. Come the fuck on.

I find this claim dubious at best.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Jesus Christ ncaa

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

I find this claim dubious at best.

Jamaican so /shrug

• Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Jesus Christ ncaa

Mark Em, really is in ,"Fuck it then." Mode, Scorched earth policy since the NCAA was kneecapped with NIL.

Ticaldfjam on
  • Options
    Ticaldfjam wrote: »
    Jesus Christ ncaa

Mark Em, really is in ,"Fuck it then." Mode, Scorched earth policy since the NCAA was kneecapped with NIL.

He's taken the Grand Moff Tarkin approach, failing to acknowledge that it's basically destroyed any good will towards the NCAA. That said, part of the reason why is to hide how much of a paper tiger the NCAA is (and he's lucky that the player's response wasn't "hey, you do remember that Alston exists, right?")

• Options
    ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    Ticaldfjam wrote: »
    Jesus Christ ncaa

Case in point:

Members of the US Congress introduced a bill on Tuesday to force the NCAA to change how they investigate and punish member schools when they break the rules.
    The proposal is designed to make the NCAA's process more closely resemble the criminal justice system. It includes a statute of limitations that would prohibit the NCAA from punishing a school for any violation that occurred more than two years earlier in an effort to avoid punishing current athletes for the misdeeds of others.

The proposal also gives schools the ability to ask for a three-person panel of neutral arbitrators to review and adjust any punishments that the school believes are unfair. The NCAA's current rules do allow for an appeal in some cases, but the appeals process is run by a committee that is made up mostly of individuals from member schools.

And how does the NCAA respond?

The very next day, they double down on punishing the Oklahoma State men's basketball team by denying their 2020 violations appeal (stemmed from the Cowboy's former associate coach involved with the recent college basketball fraud scandal) and reinstates the one-year post-season ban for 2022 and three years' probation, among other scholarship loss and restrictions.
    At an emotional press conference, Oklahoma State coach Mike Boynton held back tears while expressing his unhappiness with the NCAA's decision.

"I'm disappointed, disgusted, appalled, frustrated -- but somewhere in Indianapolis there's a group of people celebrating," Boynton said, in a reference to the NCAA. "They won. Our players don't deserve and shouldn't have to deal with this.

Oklahoma State athletic director Chad Weiberg said it's a sign the NCAA infractions process is "broken and needs to be fixed."

"The student-athletes have to be the ones at the center of the decisions that we make," Weiberg said. "If we want to get serious about playing on a level playing field, let's monitor and punish the ones that knowingly break the rules that we have in place, and not student-athletes that were seventh-graders when it happened."

Yeah, clearly there is no attempt to glean any goodwill from anyone at this point.

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
  • Options
    The folks at LGM use Iowa losing their mind to demonstrate how broken the college system is:
    In other words, this is somebody that no other football program would at this point consider hiring, who Iowa should be looking to get rid of for both performance-related and off the field issues, and who had an extremely unfortunate $20 million dollar guaranteed buyout that made this financially difficult, assuming the existence of a can opener minimally rational university administration.

So what did the galaxy brains in the University of Iowa administration just do? They decided to tear up Ferentz’s existing contract, and give him a new eight-year $56 million deal — that is, a 40% annual raise, plus four more seasons of employment beyond 2025. None of this even counts various very soft and therefore easily attainable performance incentives. $48 million of the new contract is fully guaranteed, meaning that Iowa is on the hook for it even Ferentz loses thirty games in a row, and doesn’t do anything that’s such a radical breach of his contract that he can be fired for cause (Abusing his Black players obviously doesn’t qualify).

How does this kind of thing happen? How does someone who was already getting paid as much every year as FIFTY of Iowa’s tenure-track professors, who had absolutely zero leverage in the form of alternative employment possibilities, who was obviously guilty of extreme program-harming nepotism, and arguably guilty of abusing a lot of his players for racist reasons, suddenly get a brand-new $56 million contract?

The answer of course is that big time college football is positively swimming in obscene pools of money, none of which can still be distributed to the players in the form of salaries, because the Battle of Waterloo was won on the playing fields of Eton, aka the Sacred Principles of Amateur Athletics.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Huh...
    Iowa football coach Kirk Ferentz has disbanded an alumni advisory committee that was created after a 2020 investigation found evidence of racial bias against black players in his program and bullying behavior by some of his assistants.

The Iowa Gazette reports that Ferentz's decision to end the committee came shortly after its leader, former offensive lineman David Porter, suggested it was time for Iowa to part ways with Ferentz. But Ferentz said he had decided to overhaul the committee last fall before Porter made his comment to other committee members in a text message.

'I have come to a decision that this is an appropriate time to dissolve our committee as it stands currently,' Ferentz wrote in an email to the 10-member committee on Tuesday. 'As we start a new calendar year and prepare to move forward with our preparation for the 2022 season, I am giving thought to how we restructure the committee/board in a way that best serves our program moving forward.'

Let me fix that up a bit...
    I am giving thought to how we restructure the committee/board in a way that best serves me moving forward.

Yup. That seems right.

• Options
    In other words, this is somebody that no other football program would at this point consider hiring

This is overestimating the intelligence of the average AD. But yes otherwise. And Gary Barta is dumber than the average AD.

• Options
    The NCPA is suing to establish college athletes as employees:
    On Tuesday, the National College Players Association filed unfair labor practice charges with the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) against the NCAA office, the Pac-12 Conference and California schools USC and UCLA as single and joint employers of FBS football players and Division I men’s and women’s basketball players. The goal is to affirm employee status for D-I basketball players and FBS football players.

• Options
    NCAA is going to finally relax its ridiculous rules on marijuana to be...still very stupid but not draconian.

Quadrupling the threshold of THC for a positive test, and no longer a one offense = half season ban which is the current penalty. Just have to formulate a plan to smoke less or something and future tests will carry a punishment only if you're not following that plan.

Still shitty but less shitty, the best you'll ever get out of the NCAA

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    NCAA is going to finally relax its ridiculous rules on marijuana to be...still very stupid but not draconian.

Quadrupling the threshold of THC for a positive test, and no longer a one offense = half season ban which is the current penalty. Just have to formulate a plan to smoke less or something and future tests will carry a punishment only if you're not following that plan.

Still shitty but less shitty, the best you'll ever get out of the NCAA

The way THC levels work this probably still means the plan would need abstinence from marijuana in most cases. It can just take a long ass time to clear from your system depending. I have mostly only seen it happen with people who are inactive and have a high level of body fat so I don't know how well it would translate here. Unless they test every game then it would mean a lot of players getting 2 extra positive tests even if you stopped after the first one.

Edit: I just looked at the thresholds and yeah those are amazingly low considering. 30 is just a joke. They have had studies that get you near that level if you are in a car with someone hot boxing without ever using yourself.

Gnizmo on
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    It is a joyous day.

Ring the bells.

For Mark Emmert is to be gone, replaced by ex-Massachusetts governor Charlie Baker:
    The NCAA has chosen Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker as its next president, succeeding Mark Emmert. Here’s what you need to know:
    Baker, 66, will assume the role on March 1, 2023. His second term as governor ends January 5, 2023; he did not run for re-election.
    In April 2022, the NCAA announced that Emmert would step down by the summer of 2023 at the latest, characterizing such a decision as a “mutual agreement.”
    Emmert is winding down an NCAA tenure that spanned more than 12 years. He will serve in an advisory role until June 2023.

Edit: Lede from elsewhere:
    Masshole Finds Next, Worse Job

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    Why I Love My Fucking Alma Mater, Ground Zero For Player Employee Status Edition:
    An effort to legally recognize college football and basketball players at the University of Southern California as employees of their school, their conference and the NCAA took a significant step forward Thursday.

The National Labor Relations Board has directed its Los Angeles regional office to pursue charges of unfair labor practices against USC, the Pac-12 and the NCAA. The NLRB will argue that athletes at USC are employees of those three groups and that their rights have been unlawfully restricted. If they are successful, athletes who play men's basketball, women's basketball or football at any private college in the NCAA will be granted the rights of employees, including the freedom to create unions.

• Options
    Why I Love My Fucking Alma Mater, Ground Zero For Player Employee Status Edition:
    An effort to legally recognize college football and basketball players at the University of Southern California as employees of their school, their conference and the NCAA took a significant step forward Thursday.

The National Labor Relations Board has directed its Los Angeles regional office to pursue charges of unfair labor practices against USC, the Pac-12 and the NCAA. The NLRB will argue that athletes at USC are employees of those three groups and that their rights have been unlawfully restricted. If they are successful, athletes who play men's basketball, women's basketball or football at any private college in the NCAA will be granted the rights of employees, including the freedom to create unions.

It was unclear in the article. Is USC supporting the NLRB and the Player's association, or supporting the NCAA/PAC-12? I hope the former, but...

• Options
    Hydropolo wrote: »

It was unclear in the article. Is USC supporting the NLRB and the Player's association, or supporting the NCAA/PAC-12? I hope the former, but...

The NLRB is filing against the school (USC), the conference (Pac-We're No Longer Sure), and the whole rotten ediface (fuck the motherfucking NCAA).

• Options
    edited January 2023
    The New York Times Magazine has out a revolting piece trying to argue that it's so horrible that college athletes can actually make money on their labor. It manages to hit all the shitty fucking arguments from "who will fund the (predominantly white) non-revenue sports now" (an argument that can charitably be described as yikes), to "money is sullying the college game" and so on.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Put a cap on coaching compensation for basketball and football and there will be plenty of money left over for field hockey, fencing, wrestling, and whatever else you want to keep.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Butters wrote: »
    Put a cap on coaching compensation for basketball and football and there will be plenty of money left over for field hockey, fencing, wrestling, and whatever else you want to keep.

And that's the heart of it - the gravy train is rolling to a stop, and those who gorged themselves at it have no clue about what to do.

• Options
    edited January 2023

Even bigger if you purge the useless administrative bloat. At least the coaches provide some value.

And the funniest thing about the NIL is terrible for non-revenue sports argument is that those sports get massive boosts because now the best talent can participate without sacrificing their earnings potential. If Katie Ledecky was in college now she could actually have kept swimming for Stanford. Biles probably competes in the NCAA in the late 2010s. Suni Lee did. Under the old system that wasn't an option for the elites because they had a limited number of years of earning potential (basically while they were Olympic quality) and sacrificing that to compete in college was stupid.

Though there is some issue with endorsements in women's sports especially being heavily weighted to pretty blond women unless they're like...Caitlin Clark.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Hopefully the need to attract talent will spread those lucrative NIL deals beyond the color barrier

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited January 2023

Even bigger if you purge the useless administrative bloat. At least the coaches provide some value.

And the funniest thing about the NIL is terrible for non-revenue sports argument is that those sports get massive boosts because now the best talent can participate without sacrificing their earnings potential. If Katie Ledecky was in college now she could actually have kept swimming for Stanford. Biles probably competes in the NCAA in the late 2010s. Under the old system that wasn't an option for the elites because they had a limited number of years of earning potential (basically while they were Olympic quality) and sacrificing that to compete in college was stupid.

Though there is some issue with endorsements in women's sports especially being heavily weighted to pretty blond women unless they're like...Caitlin Clark.

Dabo Swinney was paid $11.5M to lose to Notre Dame, SCAR, and Tennessee this year. I imagine you'd have to fire at least 50 administrators to add up to half of his salary. Meanwhile the sports I mentioned could survive on said half for 3-5 years.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options

And the funniest thing about the NIL is terrible for non-revenue sports argument is that those sports get massive boosts because now the best talent can participate without sacrificing their earnings potential. If Katie Ledecky was in college now she could actually have kept swimming for Stanford. Biles probably competes in the NCAA in the late 2010s. Under the old system that wasn't an option for the elites because they had a limited number of years of earning potential (basically while they were Olympic quality) and sacrificing that to compete in college was stupid.

Dabo Swinney was paid $11.5M to lose to Notre Dame, SCAR, and Tennessee this year. I imagine you'd have to fire at least 50 administrators to add up to half of his salary. Meanwhile the sports I mentioned could survive on said half for 3-5 years.

Sure, but he also recruits the guys who bring in 64 million/year for the school. He has at least some value (though is the absolute fucking worse outside of like, the Briles family). Administrative bloat assholes add nothing and are pure parasites.

• Options
    The whole problem with these polemics is that the people writing them are unwilling to grasp the ramifications of Alston - that the reality is that the NCAA and the schools have been stealing player labor, and the courts have made it clear that needs to stop, lest they face a federal case. People like Bubba Cunningham and Mack Brown are presented as well-intentioned, rather than what they are - thieves and looters who no longer can steal, and have no willingness to deal with players fairly - hence Cunningham going to Congress to try to get them to act, rather than negotiating a CBA with the athletes.

• Options
    NLRB is trying to do the thing.

If successful would force USC (and the PAC 12 and the NCAA) to cease referring to football and basketball players as student athletes but as employees instead. Who could then opt to form a union.

• Options
    Why I Love My Fucking Alma Mater, Setting The Record Straight Edition:
    Former USC running back Reggie Bush filed a defamation lawsuit against the NCAA on Wednesday, seeking to "hold the NCAA accountable for maliciously attacking" his character.

The case was filed in Marion County (Ind.) Court, where the Indianapolis-based NCAA is located.

The NCAA statement in question was issued to ESPN, along with other media outlets, on July 28, 2021, in response to an inquiry about the possibility of Bush having his records and participation restored in light of changes to name, image and likeness rules that went into effect earlier that month.

"Although college athletes can now receive benefits from their names, images and likenesses through activities like endorsements and appearances, NCAA rules still do not permit pay-for-play type arrangements," an NCAA spokesperson said in that statement. "The NCAA infractions process exists to promote fairness in college sports. The rules that govern fair play are voted on, agreed to and expected to be upheld by all NCAA member schools."

Good on him. The NCAA damn well knows their rules won't stand up in a court of law.

• Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    If the sponsor had bought a $10000 a month t shirt collection instead of paying for things directly then it would have been fine? Seems like the splitting of the finest hairs.

It was only done that way due to the dumbass rules they had in place already.

If you dont want workers to take side money you pay them, correctly or at all.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    If the sponsor had bought a $10000 a month t shirt collection instead of paying for things directly then it would have been fine? Seems like the splitting of the finest hairs.

But then they'd not make as much money.

• Options

The big mistake was making the "pay for play" comment, which gave Bush something actionable to use.

• Options
    Secret Base has a good rundown of all the gooseshit Bush has had to deal with from the NCAA:

https://youtu.be/G3FYXW6YL6s?si=-i17MnbKsJ-kU__x

• Options
    Secret Base has a good rundown of all the gooseshit Bush has had to deal with from the NCAA:

https://youtu.be/G3FYXW6YL6s?si=-i17MnbKsJ-kU__x

As a USC student in the early 2000's, I was a big college football fan until about the 2010's, and man that video enrages me because it was ALL so blatant back then. It's a large part of why, USC and maybe UW aside, NCAA sports are long dead to me. I couldn't give a rats ass about college sports now a days and the NCAA only has themselves to blame for driving me away.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I'm pretty much out of it all now that the Pac-12 is dead.

• Options
    Also, in older but related news, Bush's RB coach Todd McNair settled with the NCAA for $8M after it came out that he was the victim of a runaway jury - turns out that one of the jurors was a lawyer who worked for a firm who worked for the NCAA, and convinced a jury that wanted to rule for McNair that they couldn't because of technicalities. Unsurprisingly, the judge took a dim view of that and tossed the verdict, causing the NCAA to realize that they weren't getting a second gift.

I do hope that attorney got sanctioned into the ground as well.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Holy fuckballs